Forged in Fire; Strong as Steel!

2021 was simultaneously a great year for Irons outside of comics, but a disappointing one for him within them. Outside of comics we got our second - and best, sorry Shaq - live action portrayal of Steel delivered by Wole Parks on Superman & Lois. Outside of Hoechlin and Tulloch I would argue that Parks was the third best actor on the show, playing Steel as a badass who could take down Superman himself, yet ultimately playing a key role in saving both Superman and the world. S2 seems set to continue focusing on Steel, with the trailer establishing that he’s continuing to partner up with Superman (to the apparent dismay of his daughter Natalie whom he had with an alternate universe Lois Lane). Really excited to get more Steel, I’m personally hoping that Lucy Lane joining the cast might mean Irons and her will hook up.

Unfortunately despite S&L bringing in Steel, and the post Future State tease of the Infinite Frontier era for the Superfamily placing Steel in the front, there was little to nothing done with him in the comics. His niece Natasha was the one chosen for Superman’s Authority team, and apart from cameos in Superman & the Authority and DC vs. Vampires, he hasn’t gotten anything to do. PKJ keeps hinting that there are plans for Steel, perhaps he plans on using Steel in Action when Clark returns to Earth, same as he apparently has plans for Kara. For now all I can do is hope that the teases will actually result in something significant.