Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Picked up the first 4 trades of Zdarsky’s run recently. Enjoying it so far.

I originally got into Daredevil during Smiths run, with issue #5 (collected the first 4 shortly after), and on through Mack’s run I quite enjoyed what I was reading. Then along came Bendis…I just can’t get into his writing. I know Bendis’s run actually gets pretty good praise, but I choose not to attempt to read it again.

What collected runs, other than Bendis, would one recommend to me, close in style/tone to Smith, Mack, and now Zdarsky?

Brubaker's run works for me.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Picked up the first 4 trades of Zdarsky’s run recently. Enjoying it so far.

I originally got into Daredevil during Smiths run, with issue #5 (collected the first 4 shortly after), and on through Mack’s run I quite enjoyed what I was reading. Then along came Bendis…I just can’t get into his writing. I know Bendis’s run actually gets pretty good praise, but I choose not to attempt to read it again.

What collected runs, other than Bendis, would one recommend to me, close in style/tone to Smith, Mack, and now Zdarsky?
    What was it you didn't like in Bendis's run? Was it the dialogue? I quite like it but it's not my favourite run. Frank Miller comes first.

I would definitely say start with Frank Miller's run and his second mini-run "Born Again" with David Mazzucchelli. Those are great starting points to see the evolution of Matt's and Fisk's relationship as well as Elektra and The Hand. They say that Bendis followed suit after Miller's run, that his run wouldn't have happened if not for Miller but I would say they differ in many ways. Frank Miller's run was groundbreaking at the time and still reads really well today. If you can, definitely read the Frank Miller issues. Brubaker's run following Bendis is quite good although I have certain reservations. I would say it's quite similar in style to Zdarsky in certain ways.

My second favourite run after Miller is Soule's run which takes place before the current Zdarsky run and well worth reading.

Btw, if you have Daredevil (1998) #9 with Echo's first appearance, that comic should be worth quite a bit now

BANNED

I started reading Daredevil with Brubaker's run. It brought me into the fold of reading his books. I am not a fan Bendis's works outside Daredevil to be honest. Queseda's short stint with was good but the art wasn't fitting. Soule's run is pretty good until by the end of the last arcs with Mayor Murdock and Death where it got fizzled out a bit especially with the artist. Zdarsky's run was started really good but i didn't like Devil's Reign because it was kinda of rip off for Civil War tbh. THEN there is Miller's run above all else and at the top still now. I think Charlie Cox's Daredevil from Netflix was my ideal and favorite charac

BANNED

Sorry i accidently I submitted my reply. So yeah Netflix Daredevil was the most ideal character for me. It had character core issues dealing from Frank Miller's run. I also liked his Catholic background from which how he confess his sins as the Devil due his violence being against the side of angels. I haven't read many of his old runs except for Miller's run with some early issues of Mckeanzie's run.

hey everyone! work has really prevented me from keeping up to date, just popping in to say hi and happy new year. 2022 is going to be a really great year for Daredevil

The Man Without Fear by Miller/JRjr is my favourite DD story, though it's really in a little continuity-bubble of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The Man Without Fear by Miller/JRjr is my favourite DD story, though it's really in a little continuity-bubble of its own.
    Yeah, I have that trade and enjoyed it.

I was big on Daredevil for a while, but haven’t kept up with him since Bendis.

I havent read alot of recent stuff: Waid, Soule, Nocenti.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I reread Zdarsky and Brubaker's runs recently. Brubaker's was good till the the Hand pops up. Although Lady Bullseye was cool.

Zdarsky's first four volumes work as a TV season. It's a fun comeback arc that elements of a deconstruction.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-02-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Hey. Anyone got spoilers from Devil’s Reign #2? My LCS got screwed out of it. Wanting to see what Tony did to help out in this issue.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Tony is on a few pages. spoilers:
    He takes Luke, Cap and a few of the others to Avengers mansion where some kids spot them. He offers the kids $1k each if they destroy the video they just took of them. They tell him no way. Luke asks them to do him a solid and to do it for the city. They agree. Luke and all the others convince Tony that it would be better if Luke ran for Mayor against Fisk and not Tony stating that the people need someone that will inspire and not just another money guy. Tony agrees but you can tell he's not happy about it.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Tony is on a few pages. spoilers:
    He takes Luke, Cap and a few of the others to Avengers mansion where some kids spot them. He offers the kids $1k each if they destroy the video they just took of them. They tell him no way. Luke asks them to do him a solid and to do it for the city. They agree. Luke and all the others convince Tony that it would be better if Luke ran for Mayor against Fisk and not Tony stating that the people need someone that will inspire and not just another money guy. Tony agrees but you can tell he's not happy about it.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Great summary but I thought the purple kid made the kids agree to what Luke said
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    spoilers:
    Great summary but I thought the purple kid made the kids agree to what Luke said
    end of spoilers
    Good point. You may be right.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I didn't think of that. I thought they were just ominously appearing in the background.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?