Page 21 of 78 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

I don't think it's the art that's the problem. Both the Bullseye confrontation and the Warden confrontation just felt underwhelming. Same with the whole Fisk/Mary courtship but that could be intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't think it's the art that's the problem. Both the Bullseye confrontation and the Warden confrontation just felt underwhelming. Same with the whole Fisk/Mary courtship but that could be intentional.
    The Kingpin and Mary relationship was definitely underdeveloped for him to so suddenly propose marriage to her.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 02-08-2022 at 10:27 AM.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
    - George Orwell

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”
    - Voltair

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Issue 2 of Elektra’s Devils Reign tie in was all right. I’m enjoying it much more than the main Devils Reign series. Nothing particularly spectacular in issue 2 save for the art by De Latorre. I find the motive for the antagonist to be kind of weak and more of an inconvenient obstacle than who Elektra considers to be the worthwhile threat. And there are quite a few flashbacks throughout which may be why the issue kind felt like it was over just as it was getting started. On one puzzling note, she said that she’s capable of a feat that I find utterly unbelievable even for someone of her skill and prowess that it took me out of the story for a second to think to myself just how ridiculous that is even in a place like the MU. Otherwise, though, not bad and the art was awesome. This is definitely the best of everything that’s come of the entire Devil’s Reign event by far.
    I agree that the art is extremely good. That and the colours are really nice to look at. Which feat are you referring to? Do you mean the elimination of all weaknesses? If so, maybe it's just a figure of speech? Or was it the going without water in the desert for months? Maybe it's a ninja trained concentration/meditation thing? With regards to Kraven, I find it hard for him to take on the challenge of Elektra with the help of the law. Isn't he one to prove himself without the additional help? I find it puzzling that Goldy (from issue 1) doesn't know Elektra Natchios is Elektra the assassin, and now Daredevil? Didn't she also make it public to Butch in his club who the new Daredevil was?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I agree that the art is extremely good. That and the colours are really nice to look at. Which feat are you referring to? Do you mean the elimination of all weaknesses? If so, maybe it's just a figure of speech? Or was it the going without water in the desert for months? Maybe it's a ninja trained concentration/meditation thing? With regards to Kraven, I find it hard for him to take on the challenge of Elektra with the help of the law. Isn't he one to prove himself without the additional help? I find it puzzling that Goldy (from issue 1) doesn't know Elektra Natchios is Elektra the assassin, and now Daredevil? Didn't she also make it public to Butch in his club who the new Daredevil was?
    Yes the art superlative. De Latorre’s Elektra is almost as gorgeous as Checchetto’s.

Yes, it was when she said could go an extraordinary amount of time without water. She may be one of the most peerless humans in the MU, but she’s still human and as such no matter the training her biology will impose insurmountable limitations upon her. Now, yea, some kind of explanation (not that I’m asking for or require one) would ease the skepticism but the suspension of disbelief one normally grants to stories such as these was broken just enough for me to stop and say “that’s preposterous” as opposed to not losing my immersion in the story and thinking “that’s pretty cool”.

I can’t speak much to Kraven since I don’t know that character apart from the Spider-Man Animated Series.

Elektra’s not hiding who she is from anyone.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 02-09-2022 at 05:34 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

I think I’ve lost a lot enthusiasm for Devil’s Reign. The excitement since the initial announcement is all but gone. I want to know how it all concludes of course but I’m more waiting for it end than wondering what happens next. Needless to say what really hurts it is recycling the outlawed heroes idea. I don’t care. Been there done that numerous times already. Not to mention that for an event it’s rather insular. And I think the most obvious ripple effects are that Luke becomes the new Mayor which may explain why his propagandist limited series was canceled and Fisk is taken off the board for a while. I doubt he’ll actually become present despite the machinations of the Stromwyns. Or I could be wrong and something more unexpected is planned. Issue 4 is this week. Maybe something interesting happens.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 02-08-2022 at 04:11 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I do think with Chechetto it would've been better. I was satisfied with the way the prison arc resolved itself. I was equally satisfied with everything but the ultimate resolution of the Bullseye conflict. While I'm glad that it seems DD has Bullseye's schtick down cold at this point, Poindexter has seemed to be getting punked a lot over the past few years (which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing, mind you. Leaves room for other antagonists). I could take or leave the Fisk/Mary courtship. I see the appeal of Mary, but she's never really been a character that's particularly drew me in. I think everything else Zdarsky has done with Fisk and his never ending conflict with Matt has been masterful, though.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

- George Orwell

- Voltair

Devil’s Reign 4 is the best issue of the series yet as this is the most page time Matt has been given so far and those scenes were excellent with Matt and Kristen’s interaction in particular feeling well earned. The rest was a lot of the same shenanigans I can’t say I care much about at all. And that ending was…whatever. More been there, done that. Checchetto is outstanding as usual. Fine issue overall.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 02-09-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Well and so...that's an interesting turn.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Last edited by Nanashi; 02-09-2022 at 03:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Issue 4 was... disappointing. I like Matt's stuff but that's the extent of it.

The prison break felt unearned, the Tony/Chameleon twist could have been set up better. Ock's shaping up to be a massive threat w/ Rhino helping out the good guys as well and Peter's being unused even after the time skip hurts the story.The Fisk/Mary relationship is underdeveloped on top, the ending gives me hope though.

Here's hoping Zdarsky can pull it back up and focus on his strengths

Well, Checchetto continues to be the MVP of this Devil's Reign event. I'm not insinuating the story is bad but I do think this is one of those times were the art comes across stronger than the story. I had the same feelings with Batman Hush for an example, okay story but the art is what carried it. There are really only two things that pique my interest which is the Kingpin/Dr. Octopus feud and what happens in the end. At this point, I'm over the outlawed superheroes angle.

I'm also over this contrived relationship between Fisk and Typhoid Mary. Unless there is some major swerve Zdarksky has coming regarding the two of them, I just don't see the point of Fisk and Mary in all of their unholy bliss. Fisk marrying Una Stromwyn would've made more sense to me because it would've been a classic case of "if you can't beat em, join em" and she fits better into the systematic paradigm than a known psychopathic super villain like Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Issue 4 was... disappointing. I like Matt's stuff but that's the extent of it.

The prison break felt unearned, the Tony/Chameleon twist could have been set up better. Ock's shaping up to be a massive threat w/ Rhino helping out the good guys as well and Peter's being unused even after the time skip hurts the story.The Fisk/Mary relationship is underdeveloped on top, the ending gives me hope though.

Here's hoping Zdarsky can pull it back up and focus on his strengths
    How long was Chameleon disguised as Tony?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    How long was Chameleon disguised as Tony?
    That wasn’t revealed in DR 4. Maybe in one of the tie ins.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

https://twitter.com/jfornes74/status...120071169?s=21

Jorge Fornes is exclusive to DC. That’s so disappointing! His DD issues were amazing. I was always hoping he’d be on DD again.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 02-10-2022 at 04:58 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair