Page 65 of 78 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I can see Holland's Spidey's ID being revealed in his last movie just as he's leaving, sure. But I really don't see it happening a minute before. When Holland leaves the role I'm pretty certain they're going to go with Miles Morales.

If Feige really does rely heavily on books published from 2000-2020, they're likely to put the genie back in the bottle if the do do a secret id reveal. That might actually be worth it if they go the Bendis route.
    I thought it was a HUGE step backwards for Holland's Parker to have his secret identity restored. I was looking forward to how he dealt with being a public celebrity like the other MCU heroes and villains. I don't want the same thing to happen to Daredevil. I really REALLY liked NWH, don't get me wrong, but I don't like Disney/Marvel following the comic books by using "alternate realities", "time travel", and "magic" to "reset" characters. Those things CONSTANTLY tripped up comic book storytelling and I don't want the live-action stuff to fall into the same traps.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I thought it was a HUGE step backwards for Holland's Parker to have his secret identity restored. I was looking forward to how he dealt with being a public celebrity like the other MCU heroes and villains. I don't want the same thing to happen to Daredevil. I really REALLY liked NWH, don't get me wrong, but I don't like Disney/Marvel following the comic books by using "alternate realities", "time travel", and "magic" to "reset" characters. Those things CONSTANTLY tripped up comic book storytelling and I don't want the live-action stuff to fall into the same traps.
    Honestly? The MCU has enough heroes without a secret id. I think this is really an opportunity for these characters to stand out amongst the publicly known ones. I mean, why do they have to be like everyone else? Also, so far, I think the MCU is handling alternate realities, time travel, and magic pretty well. I have all the faith in the world that they'll handle secret id's just as well. They've been doing a great job so far with Ms. Marvel and Spidey.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Honestly? The MCU has enough heroes without a secret id. I think this is really an opportunity for these characters to stand out amongst the publicly known ones. I mean, why do they have to be like everyone else? Also, so far, I think the MCU is handling alternate realities, time travel, and magic pretty well. I have all the faith in the world that they'll handle secret id's just as well. They've been doing a great job so far with Ms. Marvel and Spidey.
    To me, if folks have secret identities, they can escape accountability and responsibility for their actions by hiding behind masks and helmets. I REALLY don't like that. A good chunk of the Infinity Saga dealt with the consequences of the deeds of superheroes, and that was one of the best parts of it in my opinion. Secret identities definitely might have hurt the whole Sokovia Accords storyline. I think it's fun to have superheroes (and supervillains) know each other on a first-name basis. They can support and help each other in BOTH their professional and private lives. They uniquely understand what it takes to BE a superhero (or supervillain). And the MCU thrived because of the chemistry between its main characters. Secret identities could put a hindrance on that kind of comradeship. If both heroes and villains are "open" about who they are, then they can't go after each other's loved ones simply due to the fact of "mutual assured destruction". I don't want characters "sequestered" from each other because of hidden identities.

The MCU has handled alternate realities, time travel and magic "adequately" in my view. But things can easily get VERY inconsistent and confusing if they go too far into the weeds with that stuff. Also, they can definitely lower stakes. I'm not sure if you can change the future if you change the past in the MCU through time travel. Or does time travel just create alternate realities? Writers have been a bit vague on that. And sometimes magic works and sometimes it doesn't (for no good reason) in my opinion. I miss the days when the MCU just stuck to tech and cosmic based stories quite frankly. Plus I don't think Disney knows how to handle "street-level" stuff to be honest. Even their main "street-level" character (Spider-Man) didn't feel like a "local" and "urban" hero to me throughout Holland's time in the MCU (which I actually liked if I'm being honest). I really liked Ms. Marvel and Spidey, but I have to admit I didn't like Falcon & The Winter Soldier, Loki, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Black Widow, Eternals and the MoM as much as I wanted to.

Extraordinary Member

To me, if folks have secret identities, they can escape accountability and responsibility for their actions by hiding behind masks and helmets. I REALLY don't like that.
    That's great, but keep in mind that we get to see inside the heads of these heroes. It's not like DD and Spidey don't consider the consequences of their actions. And unlike the likes of Tony Stark, neither Spidey nor DD have the deep pockets to fight off all the completely illegitimate lawsuits that would no doubt spring if they're secret id is released. And if Feige really does follow the current comics, then it's entirely likely that heroes with secret id's can, indeed, be held accountable for their actions (see the semi-recent arc where Matt served time as DD as DD while not having to reveal his secret id).

So honestly, accountability shouldn't be a problem there. The source material already has a solution.

I think it's fun to have superheroes (and supervillains) know each other on a first-name basis.
    It really depends on the supervillain, quite frankly. Fisk knowing DD's secret id, sure. Jester, I just don't see the point storywise.

They can support and help each other in BOTH their professional and private lives. They uniquely understand what it takes to BE a superhero (or supervillain). And the MCU thrived because of the chemistry between its main characters. Secret identities could put a hindrance on that kind of comradeship. If both heroes and villains are "open" about who they are, then they can't go after each other's loved ones simply due to the fact of "mutual assured destruction". I don't want characters "sequestered" from each other because of hidden identities.
    I mean, up until recently when Matt revealed his secret id to Spidey, they were already doing this. The comics have already been doing a bang up job of letting the heroes get to know one another even with masks.

The MCU has handled alternate realities, time travel and magic "adequately" in my view. But things can easily get VERY inconsistent and confusing if they go too far into the weeds with that stuff.
    I mean, sure, but at this point, that's speculation at best.

Also, they can definitely lower stakes.
    So can every hero being in the business of every other hero's in and outside the costume.

I'm not sure if you can change the future if you change the past in the MCU through time travel. Or does time travel just create alternate realities? Writers have been a bit vague on that.
    So far it's been a fun ride, so I'm not going to complain until there's something actually to complain about.

And sometimes magic works and sometimes it doesn't (for no good reason) in my opinion. I miss the days when the MCU just stuck to tech and cosmic based stories quite frankly.
    Really? I think Dr. Strange breathed new life into the MCU.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

A Daredevil Born Again casting call for a "Theo Chow", a 20 year old martial arts enthusiast. Hm.

That's great, but keep in mind that we get to see inside the heads of these heroes. It's not like DD and Spidey don't consider the consequences of their actions. And unlike the likes of Tony Stark, neither Spidey nor DD have the deep pockets to fight off all the completely illegitimate lawsuits that would no doubt spring if they're secret id is released. And if Feige really does follow the current comics, then it's entirely likely that heroes with secret id's can, indeed, be held accountable for their actions (see the semi-recent arc where Matt served time as DD as DD while not having to reveal his secret id).

So honestly, accountability shouldn't be a problem there. The source material already has a solution.

It really depends on the supervillain, quite frankly. Fisk knowing DD's secret id, sure. Jester, I just don't see the point storywise.

I mean, up until recently when Matt revealed his secret id to Spidey, they were already doing this. The comics have already been doing a bang up job of letting the heroes get to know one another even with masks.

I mean, sure, but at this point, that's speculation at best.

So can every hero being in the business of every other hero's in and outside the costume.

So far it's been a fun ride, so I'm not going to complain until there's something actually to complain about.

Really? I think Dr. Strange breathed new life into the MCU.
    I think alternate realities/time travel/magic are inherently confusing, illogical and stake-lowering storytelling devices. And over time nothing means anything in these stories if they can be easily reversed using alternate realities/time travel/magic to retcon important story elements. That's why I'm opposed to their widespread use in the MCU. Stark Industries market cap is probably bigger than ExxonMobil, Amazon and Walmart combined in the MCU. Rhodey can get it to foot Peter's and Matt's legal bills (Matt STILL has his secret identity in the comic books!!!)? So any frivolous lawsuits can be taken care of that way. I did not enjoy Strange 2. I much preferred the first one (both visually and storytelling wise). It just wasn't that funny to me. And I felt the main "heroes" in that film were unlikeable douchebags. Maybe I just don't enjoy Marvel's version of "campy horror". The huge successes of WandaVision, Loki and NWH put Marvel Studios' into the red zone (one-yard line with four downs to be more specific) and they should have scored an easy touchdown. But all Disney got was a field goal in my opinion. Huge disappointment. I'm hoping Werewolf by Night does a better job on that front. I think Ms. Marvel is the best Marvel property of 2022 thus far. And unlike a lot of other people, I actually really enjoyed L&T because the main heroes in it ACTED like heroes (although the cancer storyline was handled poorly in my view).
    Last edited by Albert1981; 09-27-2022 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    A Daredevil Born Again casting call for a "Theo Chow", a 20 year old martial arts enthusiast. Hm.

I'm a big Blindspot fan so I'm up for him getting adapted.

Extraordinary Member

I think alternate realities/time travel/magic are inherently confusing, illogical and stake-lowering storytelling devices. And over time nothing means anything in these stories if they can be easily reversed using alternate realities/time travel/magic to retcon important story elements.
    If we didn't have alternate realities, we wouldn't have Miles Morales and No Way Home. I'd say that's more than a good enough case for keeping them around.

Stark Industries market cap is probably bigger than ExxonMobil, Amazon and Walmart combined in the MCU. Rhodey can get it to foot Peter's and Matt's legal bills (Matt STILL has his secret identity in the comic books!!!)? So any frivolous lawsuits can be taken care of that way.
    As illustrated in F&TWS, actual Avengers don't even get paid. The likelihood of Stark Industries actually flipping the bill for legal fees is even less likely.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Same here.
    I really wish Zdarsky would bring him back in this current run.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member

Honestly? I'm not really a big fan. That said, maybe the MCU adaptation could sway me where the comics couldn't.

Honestly? I'm not really a big fan. That said, maybe the MCU adaptation could sway me where the comics couldn't.
    That's fine and sometimes the adaptations do that.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I just now realized with Jeph Loeb gone, we might have well written Asian characters now

Prolly why Blindspot is being brought in

If we didn't have alternate realities, we wouldn't have Miles Morales and No Way Home. I'd say that's more than a good enough case for keeping them around.

As illustrated in F&TWS, actual Avengers don't even get paid. The likelihood of Stark Industries actually flipping the bill for legal fees is even less likely.
    Gotta say, I have to look up who Miles Morales is. Haven't read Marvel in over twenty years. Doesn't Foggy have a relationship with Matt Murdock in the MCU now? Why doesn't he just connect DD with Rhodey? Then Stark Industries can take care of Matt. I think it would be awesome for Daredevil to be more closely integrated into the "tech" side of the MCU like Peter was before NWH.

Gotta say, I have to look up who Miles Morales is. Haven't read Marvel in over twenty years. Doesn't Foggy have a relationship with Matt Murdock in the MCU now? Why doesn't he just connect DD with Rhodey? Then Stark Industries can take care of Matt. I think it would be awesome for Daredevil to be more closely integrated into the "tech" side of the MCU like Peter was before NWH.
    Foggy doesn't have a relationship with Stark or Rhodey in the shows.Plus I prefer him in supernatural stories than sci-fi. Although he does have a fun teamup with Starlord I want them to adapt.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-29-2022 at 08:18 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Foggy doesn't have a relationship with Stark or Rhodey in the shows.Plus I prefer him in supernatural stories than sci-fi. Although he does have a fun teamup with Starlord I want them to adapt.
    Agreed. Outside of the crime stuff, his best stories involve supernatural elements like The Hand. Tech doesn't really mesh well into Matt's world unless he's giving a beatdown to Stiltman. Plus, we really don't want to make things too easy for Matt. His best stories come out of him overcoming as many obstacles as possible, not having someone else do that for him.