Page 5 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Zee, you messed up the spell! You were supposed to point at the hat and say "RABBIT", not "RIBBIT"!

Those red lips and piercing eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With the attention of catching the killer of Dick's parents because he never caught Joe Chill in that universe.
    Ah, how very post Zero Hour Batman lol.

I guess because she was ultimately getting what she wanted, which was her father back, she couldn't really deny the self-serving reasons for it even if it wasn't 100% why she was training them to begin with, so she kept quite.
    There were self serving reasons, sure, but not clearing up that she only had the idea recently, by refusing to answer, does make it look like Khalid was right, and that makes Zatanna look much more manipulative than she's supposed to, and more "realistically", I wouldn't blame Khalid if he refused to trust her again lol.

And Traci's probably been her protege for a while so she likely felt like she was doing Zee proud by agreeing to it.
    Probably, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Reminds me of Clark not accepting Kon early on in season 1 and like I said back then, you can't 'graft' a flaw on to a character. Instead of exploring Clark's feelings of violation or why he is blowing off this kid that's been dropped on his lap, the show just played it for drama and then resolved it off screen. Here we have Zatanna contemplating an ultimately selfish wish but instead of showing her struggling with it or trying to find alternate routes to save the day, she spends the majority of her arc as a background character and this revelation is just dropped on our laps.
    And it's only at the end of the season that's solved, and the last time we see Supes blowing off Conner was in episode 5, so we don't see Supes' thoughts for 21 episodes, and 5 months in-universe, it really falls flat.

But hey, Supes was treated better after that, while he didn't so much in season 2, season 3 does have indication he's closer to Conner, and season 4 even had him mentioning how he regrets ignoring Conner back in season 1, so, if Zatanna is lucky, she might get something like that, though personally I doubt it.

Only a silver age character can look at a tree growing on someone's head and think "Oh that's just a fast growing seed, I saw it in a magazine" lol.

The facial expression and how pale she looks made me think for a moment she's the Joker lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    There were self serving reasons, sure, but not clearing up that she only had the idea recently, by refusing to answer, does make it look like Khalid was right, and that makes Zatanna look much more manipulative than she's supposed to, and more "realistically", I wouldn't blame Khalid if he refused to trust her again lol.
    That was something I didn't like: Zatanna feeling guilty because of how quickly she committed to the idea made sense but her feeling guilty to the point that she won't even say that it was a recent idea and instead lets Khalid believe she was using them all along?

That felt contrieved, especially since she knows it means that Khalid thinks that she, someone who's known him since he was a little kid, took advantage of his trust and has just been using him.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 01-10-2022 at 02:43 PM.

Yeah, Steve is probably the best out of three male love interests.

Though in his case, it probably helps that he was written in a way that he can contribute to the story and there were situations that were in his wheelhouse. Poor Jeff is so ridiculously out of his depth that he is rendered useless when it comes to the stuff Zatanna deals with.

Fingers crossed.

They better not ruin Batman and Zatanna's friendship.
    Kinda want Jeff as one Zee staff manager at Zatanna 2010 series.

Looks like Zatanna and Bruce gonna be shaky at least to the third issue of their story (It's got 6 issues IIRC) especially with Constantine meddling.
    https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...ban-legends-13

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    But hey, Supes was treated better after that, while he didn't so much in season 2, season 3 does have indication he's closer to Conner, and season 4 even had him mentioning how he regrets ignoring Conner back in season 1, so, if Zatanna is lucky, she might get something like that, though personally I doubt it.
    The lack of Zatanna PoV or any attempts to make people care or rooting for her quite irks me. I just hope Phantom Stranger visit could shed some light to Khalid and we have on screen segment of Zatanna and other hosts talk about it. The story is kinda rewarding Zatanna but I hope there are some downfall and rise arc for her, losing confidence with herself, the realization that her thoughts causing chaotic damage to the world, some drama with the proteges maybe with Traci parents and Mary situation, Conner situation opening can of worms that's it about Wally limbo, before She take decision to rise again maybe now with Misty Kilgore help like in the comic

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    That was something I didn't like: Zatanna feeling guilty because of how quickly she committed to the idea made sense but her feeling guilty to the point that she won't even say that it was a recent idea and instead lets Khalid believe she was using them all along?

That felt contrieved, especially since she knows it means that Khalid thinks that she, someone who's known him since he was a little kid, took advantage of his trust and has just been using him.
    Yeah, Zatanna was done dirty in what's supposed to be her arc, first she's mostly not the focus, and when she gets the focus, she looks like, that.

We can say "It could be worse", and looking at the bullshit characters pulled in season 2 and 3, it very much could be, but it just sucks Zatanna decided to not explain herself better and just stay quiet like she's admitting to all of Khalid's accusations, which, where there was a lot of truth to them, she makes no effort to even defend herself.

Thinking of it, since Mary Marvel is getting the Countdown characterizations, only toned down, maybe this is Zatanna's own Identity Crisis characterization? But only getting the idea of Zatanna doing shady ****, and no lobotomizations, well, so far at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    The lack of Zatanna PoV or any attempts to make people care or rooting for her quite irks me.
    Yeah, they decided to focus on Vandal and his slideshows instead, because that guy clearly doesn't have enough screen time.

I just hope Phantom Stranger visit could shed some light to Khalid and we have on screen segment of Zatanna and other hosts talk about it.
    While I understand Phantom Stranger shows up at random, wouldn't it be weird for him to show up to solve personal problems like this? Lol

The story is kinda rewarding Zatanna but I hope there are some downfall and rise arc for her, losing confidence with herself, the realization that her thoughts causing chaotic damage to the world, some drama with the proteges maybe with Traci parents and Mary situation, Conner situation opening can of worms that's it about Wally limbo, before She take decision to rise again maybe now with Misty Kilgore help like in the comic
    I legit wouldn't expect a downfall arc from her, given the show's usual treatment of characters being shady assholes.

In season 2, we have Dick and Kaldur'ahm manipulating everyone, basically emotionally torturing their friends by making everyone think Kaldur'ahm is a traitor, and almost getting some of them killed, and others getting kidnapped, what do we see in season 3? Kaldur'ahm is now the League's leader and Dick is still respected.

And then they pull the Anti-Light nonsense in season 3, and then at the end of it, we Batman telling Dick "You command more respect than you realize", and while this is before Dick reveals the Anti-Light nonsense, no one seems to lower their opinions on him after the reveal.

M'gann is another example, before season 2 she tried to brainwash Conner into forgetting the shady bullshit she's done, and he takes her back in season 2 itself, so the abuser of a relationship is getting rewarded.

There's also Zatanna and M'gann making that whole made up scenario for Artemis to talk Wally, when she was actually talking with herself pretty much, though, while that one can come up later to blow up in Zatanna's, M'gann's and maybe Rocket's face (She wasn't part of it, but she was told what actually happened afterwards), the cartoon is showing once again that M'gann hasn't learned anything, since she manipulated someone once again, and probably didn't tell that to Conner, which makes her looking sad at the end for doing other shady **** less impactful since she doesn't seem to regret doing the Artemis manipulation.

YJ is like this, characters being assholes get rewarded either in spite of being assholes, or because of it, and while I can understand why they do that, in real life people very much may get rewarded for being assholes, but in real life people may get punished too in some way, and that doesn't happen in YJ.

So yeah, I'd be surprised if there's some downfall arc with Zatanna, it doesn't fit the show's patterns, she did shady bullshit, and I won't be surprised if the worst she gets is Khalid calling her out, and they'll probably be friendly next time we see 'em.

But hey, it could still happen, and I would want that so Zatanna, or at least one character, actually regrets and learns from doing stuff like this, but it's unlikely Zatanna will get much screen time to either be shown being rewarded, or punished... But I could be wrong, time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

Now everone has to remember Bruce and Zatanna dated
    and this is a 6 piece story?

Just finished reading Batman: Urban Legends #11. The story is off to a good start. The interactions between Zee and Batman were good and I'm curious to see where this goes. I wasn't sure about the art when I first saw the previews but it works really well with the story. The artist does a good job of conveying emotions through expressions and body language to the point where there are moments where you don't need dialogue to tell what the characters are going through.

This was probably the most explicit they've been with young Bruce and Zatanna's relationship. Young Bruce seemed like he was barely keeping it in his pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This was probably the most explicit they've been with young Bruce and Zatanna's relationship. Young Bruce seemed like he was barely keeping it in his pants.
    Think clean thoughts, chum.

Extraordinary Member

I miss Zatanna's fun and pizazz...

She showed some in the most recent Urban Legends issue.

Think George Costanza was smoother with the ladies than young Bruce was here in this issue.