Page 20 of 94 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I agree with the part I bolded. Also you say they casted "some girl" as Cassie in Endgame but that makes it sound like they picked some rando off the street. She's an actress trying to break out in Hollywood just like Kathryn Newton is and the way Marvel didn't even tell her that they fired her and she had to learn it when the news broke that Cassie had been recast was fucking gross. Like I get that Kathryn looks more like Cassie in the comics but the actress from Endgame looks more like she could be the daughter of Paul Rudd.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. That wasn't shade to Emma. I feel bad for the way things turned out for her too and Marvel definitely could've handled things better. I just used that situation to exemplify that they had already messed up with a YA casting before by making a decision they couldn't commit to, so maybe, just maybe they didn't wanna do the same with Billy and Tommy. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not THAT worried that they're not being aged up NOW while they are still minor supporting characters. Their role is not important, so there is no rush to get the important actors.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-03-2022 at 10:48 AM.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Oh, don't get me wrong. That wasn't shade to Emma. I feel bad for the way things turned out for her too and Marvel definitely could've handled things better. I just used that situation to exemplify that they had already messed up with a YA casting before by making a decision they couldn't commit to, so maybe, just maybe they didn't wanna do the same with Billy and Tommy. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm not THAT worried that they're not being aged up NOW while they are still minor supporting characters. Their role is not important, so there is no rush to get the important actors.
    Yeah I didn't think you were trying to insult Emma, it was just your wording was awkward considering how all of that went down for her.

Also in terms of Billy and Teddy, I've said this before and I'll say it again; I was in high school when the MCU started and it wasn't until I was 30 years old that a gay superhero was finally in the MCU. I really don't think it's unreasonable to want Billy and Teddy sooner rather than later now that Disney/Marvel is finally allowing gay characters in the MCU.

And again, considering that Kate got introduced as a co-lead in her first appearance in the MCU and other characters like Kamala are getting their own show I don't think it's "rushing" to just introduce Wiccan as a teen.

I highly resent this "step-by-step" process when other (heterosexual) characters get to jump to the front of the line. And this is a problem across the MCU as a whole, not just the Young Avengers in particular, like Frenchie not being in Moon Knight season 1.

Yeah I didn't think you were trying to insult Emma, it was just your wording was awkward considering how all of that went down for her.

Also in terms of Billy and Teddy, I've said this before and I'll say it again; I was in high school when the MCU started and it wasn't until I was 30 years old that a gay superhero was finally in the MCU. I really don't think it's unreasonable to want Billy and Teddy sooner rather than later now that Disney/Marvel is finally allowing gay characters in the MCU.

And again, considering that Kate got introduced as a co-lead in her first appearance in the MCU and other characters like Kamala are getting their own show I don't think it's "rushing" to just introduce Wiccan as a teen.

I highly resent this "step-by-step" process when other (heterosexual) characters get to jump to the front of the line. And this is a problem across the MCU as a whole, not just the Young Avengers in particular, like Frenchie not being in Moon Knight season 1.
    I get the impatience. I truly do. It's not fair, but it never was to queer characters. Even in the comics, look how long it took for Wickling to share their first kiss while every other less important straight couple from the YA did it before. I agree it's frustrating, and I also wish that things were moving a little bit faster, but what's keeping me hopeful is the fact that a Young Avengers project cannot be dragged for too much longer if they wanna utilize all the actors they ALREADY cast so far. So that's one good thing that came out from all the straight members being cast older; that will pretty much force Disney to make a decision about Billy and Teddy sooner whether they like it or not. Unless you wanna believe they would just do YA without them, but it's hard for me to see this as a realistic option.

Alright I'm going to go over this for the final time.

- the actress playing Kate Bishop is 25
    - the actress playing Cassie Lang is 25
    - the actor playing Eli Bradley is 23
    - the actress playing America Chavez is 16
    - the actor playing Kid Loki is 14
    - the actor playing Tommy is 12
    - the actor playing Billy is literally still 10 years old
    - obviously whoever ends up playing Teddy is going to be close to if not the same age as the actor playing Billy

How long until a YA project? I know 20-somethings playing teens is nothing new in Hollywood but lets be real; they didn't cast Hailee Steinfeld and Kathryn Newton to play teens or even 20 year-olds alongside an actor who is literally 15 years younger than them.

If they are letting those kids age into the roles of Wiccan and Speed then that means that Wiccan, Speed and Hulkling are all going to be younger than Kid Loki.

Also if they're letting those boys age into the role then that means there's going to be a SEVEN YEAR AGE GAP between the heterosexual characters and the non-heterosexual characters. At what point do we just call a thing a thing? At best this is bad optics.

Kid Loki being a kid is fine, he's literally called Kid Loki, but Wiccan, Speed and Hulkling are all going to be younger than Kid Loki? Oh gee, I wonder why?

Kate was introduced as the co-lead of a show and already got to beat Kingpin. Other teen/young adult superheroes like Kamala and Riri are getting their own shows right off the bat. But Billy and Tommy have to be introduced in one project, used as a plot device in another, and then left to presumably be included in a future project (again presumably) where they become Wiccan and Speed. Oh gee, I wonder why?

There is no logic in letting those kids age into the roles when the actresses playing Kate and Cassie are so much older than them. They already recast the role of Cassie with that actress, it's obvious she's going to be playing her in a YA project.
    Atp Marvel can just cast the main Heartstopper actors as Billy and Teddy and repeat the plot of that show w/ superpowers. Pls and thanks.

I get the impatience. I truly do. It's not fair, but it never was to queer characters. Even in the comics, look how long it took for Wickling to share their first kiss while every other less important straight couple from the YA did it before. I agree it's frustrating, and I also wish that things were moving a little bit faster, but what's keeping me hopeful is the fact that a Young Avengers project cannot be dragged for too much longer if they wanna utilize all the actors they ALREADY cast so far. So that's one good thing that came out from all the straight members being cast older; that will pretty much force Disney to make a decision about Billy and Teddy sooner whether they like it or not. Unless you wanna believe they would just do YA without them, but it's hard for me to see this as a realistic option.
    Yeah, you're right about that. I view the twins from WandaVision as Billy and Tommy Maximoff and not as Billy Kaplan and Tommy Shepherd. I'm just wondering when Billy Kaplan is going to be introduced before a YA project gets announced. I've seen someone suggest Quantumania because there were rumours about the YA showing up in that since Cassie got recast. But I don't really see how introducing Billy and Tommy in a story about Ant-Man dealing with both the quantumn realm and Kang is going to work.

I've been wondering for a while if a YA project either as a Disney+ series or movie is where they first introduce Billy Kaplan, and maybe Teddy too, even though most of the other members get introduced elsewhere first. That honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Atp Marvel can just cast the main Heartstopper actors as Billy and Teddy and repeat the plot of that show w/ superpowers. Pls and thanks.
    No, thanks. I'm not that desperate yet.

Astonishing Member

No, thanks. I'm not that desperate yet.
    Are they bad actors?I haven't seen Heartstopper, but I heard it's pretty popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Are they bad actors?I haven't seen Heartstopper, but I heard it's pretty popular.
    I'm probably going to get raked over the coals for this but I'm gonna' say it anyway; those boys aren't good-looking enough to play Billy and Teddy.

Also and I know this is super controversial as well but I REALLY want openly gay actors to play Wiccan and Hulkling. At this point they're basically the most prominent and popular gay superheroes in the world and I want to see out and proud actors portraying them. Like for me personally I don't even want "I don't believe in labels" actors, or "queer" actors, I want GAY actors to play them.

Yeah, you're right about that. I view the twins from WandaVision as Billy and Tommy Maximoff and not as Billy Kaplan and Tommy Shepherd. I'm just wondering when Billy Kaplan is going to be introduced before a YA project gets announced. I've seen someone suggest Quantumania because there were rumours about the YA showing up in that since Cassie got recast. But I don't really see how introducing Billy and Tommy in a story about Ant-Man dealing with both the quantumn realm and Kang is going to work.

I've been wondering for a while if a YA project either as a Disney+ series or movie is where they first introduce Billy Kaplan, and maybe Teddy too, even though most of the other members get introduced elsewhere first. That honestly wouldn't surprise me.
    Disney has the D23 event this year, so supposedly all big announcements for future Marvel projects are going to be made there. Last time they did it, we got the Kate/America/Cassie casting announcements all in the same day. HOPEFULLY this year's event will bring some clarity to the future of the other Young Avengers members.

I'm probably going to get raked over the coals for this but I'm gonna' say it anyway; those boys aren't good-looking enough to play Billy and Teddy.

Also and I know this is super controversial as well but I REALLY want openly gay actors to play Wiccan and Hulkling. At this point they're basically the most prominent and popular gay superheroes in the world and I want to see out and proud actors portraying them. Like for me personally I don't even want "I don't believe in labels" actors, or "queer" actors, I want GAY actors to play them.
    I'm not gonna comment on that first part lol. Regarding openly gay actors I 100% support it if they're casting actors in Steinfeld's age range (atp mid to late twenties). If they're casting younger and potentially minors, I don't know how I feel about that being a requirement. It's a lot to ask any young person to have a definite grasp on their sexuality but also be out to the entire world in an uber popular franchise. America Chavez's actor is getting harassed simply for bringing an LGBTQ+ character to the screen and it could get really bad for someone her age who also has to be out because of their role.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 05-03-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Light Doctor Strange spoilers from the reviews: spoilers:
    Apparently America's sexual orientation is not referenced at all, only her two moms.
    end of spoilers

At this point I'm not really caring that much about casting but I just wanted to say that I saw someone suggesting Joshua Colley for Billy and I've been obsessed. Billy being played by a Broadway actor actually feels so right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Light Doctor Strange spoilers from the reviews: spoilers:
    Apparently America's sexual orientation is not referenced at all, only her two moms.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah, I saw that. I'm more pissed at The Hollywood Reporter because they actually reported that we would be getting more than that for America, so... what happened? LOL

I also saw someone confirming that spoilers:
    they just don't mention her moms, but we actually see them
    end of spoilers so I guess there is that at least.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-03-2022 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I'm not gonna comment on that first part lol. Regarding openly gay actors I 100% support it if they're casting actors in Steinfeld's age range (atp mid to late twenties). If they're casting younger and potentially minors, I don't know how I feel about that being a requirement. It's a lot to ask any young person to have a definite grasp on their sexuality but also be out to the entire world in an uber popular franchise. America Chavez's actor is getting harassed simply for bringing an LGBTQ+ character to the screen and it could get really bad for someone her age who also has to be out because of their role.
    I agree that it shouldn't be a requirement for younger actors.

At this point I'm not really caring that much about casting but I just wanted to say that I saw someone suggesting Joshua Colley for Billy and I've been obsessed. Billy being played by a Broadway actor actually feels so right to me.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm more pissed at The Hollywood Reporter because they actually reported that we would be getting more than that for America, so... what happened? LOL

I also saw someone confirming that spoilers:
    they just don't mention her moms, but we actually see them
    end of spoilers so I guess there is that at least.
    I really, REALLY, REALLY don't want to have to listen to some heterosexual actor say **** like; "It's an honour to represent on behalf of the LGBTQIA2S+ community. All my gay friends told me how great it is to see this character on the screen..." Like I want to hear actual gay men talk about what it means to finally give us our superheroes.

And I've heard that one of the actors from Heartstopper has already started going down the Shawn Mendes "Oh, so you gay people think I'm gay???" route and if an actor playing Wiccan, Hulkling or any other major gay superhero did that I would be LIVID.

As for the America thing I'm not surprised to hear that. Didn't The Hollywood Reporter just say that there was "less than 12 seconds" of America talking about her moms, and Disney/Marvel refused to cut that from the film for international audiences which is why it's getting banned in the Middle-East.

And I've heard that one of the actors from Heartstopper has already started going down the Shawn Mendes "Oh, so you gay people think I'm gay???" route and if an actor playing Wiccan, Hulkling or any other major gay superhero did that I would be LIVID.
    If you're talking about Kit Connor, then no, he didn't "go down the Shawn Mendes", he got annoyed at people on Twitter because a lot of people are speculating on his sexuality while tagging him and stuff, and another group of people is openly accusing him of queerbaiting, when he has not come out as anything as far as I'm aware, not even straight. And like, he's 18. He's absolutely in the age range where he's still figuring himself out, and people are either trying to force personal stuff out of him, or, accuse him of stupid stuff. So yeah, I don't blame him for being annoyed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ticomat View Post
    If you're talking about Kit Connor, then no, he didn't "go down the Shawn Mendes", he got annoyed at people on Twitter because a lot of people are speculating on his sexuality while tagging him and stuff, and another group of people is openly accusing him of queerbaiting, when he has not come out as anything as far as I'm aware, not even straight. And like, he's 18. He's absolutely in the age range where he's still figuring himself out, and people are either trying to force personal stuff out of him, or, accuse him of stupid stuff. So yeah, I don't blame him for being annoyed.
    What means "go down Shawn Mendes"?

I've understood Shawn Mendes have a similar situation from people speculating about his sexualy since he was 15 years old.