Page 56 of 94 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Yeah, in the comics, Cassie is younger, and America is someone closer to Kate's age who kind of supplanted her later on (though to be fair, Cassie was dead in Young Avengers vol 2, and that's the only reason she wasn't on the team). In the MCU, it's America who's a kid, and Cassie's the older one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess one benefit of aging up some of the girls is that Cassie and Kate will be naturally besties instead of America coming in and muddling things up (sorry Kate/America fans). Unless they try to push Yelena as Kate's blonde bestie .
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, in the comics, Cassie is younger, and America is someone closer to Kate's age who kind of supplanted her later on (though to be fair, Cassie was dead in Young Avengers vol 2, and that's the only reason she wasn't on the team). In the MCU, it's America who's a kid, and Cassie's the older one.
    Now, now, there is plenty of Kate Bishop to go around for multiple friendships. And I'm sure Cassie is mature enough to not, oh I don't know, grow big and step on Chavez and Yelena to get rid of best friend competition. It's not like she's made impulsive choices before right? Right? Makes me wonder if Cassie ever had any childhood bullies who mysterious got squashed since the young hero Stature appeared...

In all seriousness, I think Kate and Yelena will hold a friendship outside their hero teams, which will make their meetups feel special. It would make for a very interesting scenario if the Thunderbolts and Young Avengers came into conflict. Kate and Yelena would likely have a classic Clint/Natasha brawl with the banter and everything. They play off one another so well XD

The problem isn't the casting of Julien, Jett, & Xochitl they're all age appropriate IMO the mistake is casting Kate & Cassie so old.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    I'd be quite upset if they didn't do some kind of Young Avengers project. They have most of the members and are doing storylines that lead up to their formation like Wanda's mental breakdown, absent adult Avengers, and Kang's appearance. I really enjoyed Julian/Jett in Wandavision, but I don't want there to be such a big age gap between them and the other YA members. The Young Avengers were not just co-workers they were friends.
    I mean, yeah, it would suck, but I think I would prefer an MCU without the Young Avengers than the possibility of them doing YA right now only to exclude Wiccan and Speed (and probably Hulkling by extension), or a future YA team that excludes Eli/Cassie/Kate because they got too old. I don't even see the point of adapting the team if you're gonna screw them up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess one benefit of aging up some of the girls is that Cassie and Kate will be naturally besties instead of America coming in and muddling things up (sorry Kate/America fans). Unless they try to push Yelena as Kate's blonde bestie .
    I think Kate/Yelena will be more of a frenemies type of dynamic, because right now it seems that Yelena is gravitating towards Thunderbolts way more than Young Avengers, so even though they can be friendly with each other, they would also be potentially at odds due to the very different nature of their teams. I think Kate is more likely to be besties with someone who is teammates with her, so yeah, Cassie seems to be the most realistic option right now.

I still want to see her being friends with America, even though I expect their dynamic to be super watered down in comparison to the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    The problem isn't the casting of Julien, Jett, & Xochitl they're all age appropriate IMO the mistake is casting Kate & Cassie so old.
    I wouldn't say Julian and Jett are age appropriate when they are literally pre-pubescent children, something Wiccan and Speed never were in the comics. If actors can be ''too old'' to play a role, then actors can also be too young, and that's exactly where those kids are right now, and probably will be for the next several years. Older actors at least have the advantage of passing as younger, but children can't pass as older, so they always stand out. Plus, all the Young Avengers (except for Cassie) are currently in their 20s in the comics, so it's not exactly a big deal that they are being played by people in their 20s in the MCU. You can say that Hailee is playing a version of Hawkeye that actually exists in the comics. You can't say that about Julian and Jett.

Xochitl is the most age appropriate, being an actual teenager. Though in MOM she was actually a younger America than in the comics. But the thing is that even when compared to her rather than Hailee/Kathryn, Julian and Jett still are (and look) too young.

This is fine for now though. WandaVision/MOM Billy and Tommy aren't just "younger Wiccan and Speed" (though the fact that they got their powers already kinda makes them that too) but more like older versions of Wanda's original children, who never grew past being toddlers.

I was wondering why I saw Kate Bishop trending today. Turns out some (definitely fake) concept art leak for Avengers: Kang Dynasty was posted and everyone is roasting her for being the weak link. The tradition of making fun of Hawkeye in every movie carries on.
    Last edited by Dipter; 08-14-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I was wondering why I saw Kate Bishop trending today. Turns out some (definitely fake) concept art leak for Avengers: Kang Dynasty was posted and everyone is roasting her for being the weak link. The tradition of making fun of Hawkeye in every movie carries on.
    Here's the art if anyone wants to see it.
    No idea who made it but its what's being shared around.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Xochitl is the most age appropriate, being an actual teenager. Though in MOM she was actually a younger America than in the comics. But the thing is that even when compared to her rather than Hailee/Kathryn, Julian and Jett still are (and look) too young.

This is fine for now though. WandaVision/MOM Billy and Tommy aren't just "younger Wiccan and Speed" (though the fact that they got their powers already kinda makes them that too) but more like older versions of Wanda's original children, who never grew past being toddlers.
    America is in a weird spot because even though Xochitl shares the age the character was supposed to have on her first appearance, the Gillen version which actually inspired and popularized the character as she is today was older than that, so I still side-eye them for casting her so young when I know for a fact they weren't looking at that Vengeance comic book as an inspiration for the MCU character. Even Xochitl said in an interview recently that MCU America is different from the comics due to her age and inexperience, and that really shows in the way they portrayed her in the movie.

The only reason I give them a pass it's because America is so disconnected from the original Young Avengers team that I don't mind if she ends up being younger than them. She was always an ''outsider'' who just joined them because of Loki's shenanigans, and I guess this is something that can still be done even with her being younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    The sheer level of disrespect towards miss Katherine Elizabeth Bishop when she was arguably the most useful person when the Young Avengers battled Kang. Like, sure, Nate was the one who gave him the final blow, but only because Kate was the one who disarmed him and made him vulnerable. All of that while still being able to stand still (something you can't say about poor Patriot over there LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Here's the art if anyone wants to see it.
    No idea who made it but its what's being shared around.
    It's fan art. The only reason why it's being shared is because of a stupid ass Twitter user called ''Moth Culture'' who does nothing but spread fake news and misinformation.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-15-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I mean, yeah, it would suck, but I think I would prefer an MCU without the Young Avengers than the possibility of them doing YA right now only to exclude Wiccan and Speed (and probably Hulkling by extension), or a future YA team that excludes Eli/Cassie/Kate because they got too old. I don't even see the point of adapting the team if you're gonna screw them up like that.

I think Kate/Yelena will be more of a frenemies type of dynamic, because right now it seems that Yelena is gravitating towards Thunderbolts way more than Young Avengers, so even though they can be friendly with each other, they would also be potentially at odds due to the very different nature of their teams. I think Kate is more likely to be besties with someone who is teammates with her, so yeah, Cassie seems to be the most realistic option right now.

I still want to see her being friends with America, even though I expect their dynamic to be super watered down in comparison to the comics.

I wouldn't say Julian and Jett are age appropriate when they are literally pre-pubescent children, something Wiccan and Speed never were in the comics. If actors can be ''too old'' to play a role, then actors can also be too young, and that's exactly where those kids are right now, and probably will be for the next several years. Older actors at least have the advantage of passing as younger, but children can't pass as older, so they always stand out. Plus, all the Young Avengers (except for Cassie) are currently in their 20s in the comics, so it's not exactly a big deal that they are being played by people in their 20s in the MCU. You can say that Hailee is playing a version of Hawkeye that actually exists in the comics. You can't say that about Julian and Jett.
    With the time frame were working with Julian & Jett are fine YA still looks to be years away people only have an issue with the casting because of the rush to get to the gay relationship with Billy & Teddy. Fact of the matter is YA should not be as old as the X-Men, Spider-Man or Johnny Storm & at the rate we going they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    OMG! This looks so cool! Makes me wish for a new ongoing even more.
    Color edition! Credit to Mihai Rotari!
    https://twitter.com/cpfokken/status/...WS9tgF6CDwyejQ

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    America is in a weird spot because even though Xochitl shares the age the character was supposed to have on her first appearance, the Gillen version which actually inspired and popularized the character as she is today was older than that, so I still side-eye them for casting her so young when I know for a fact they weren't looking at that Vengeance comic book as an inspiration for the MCU character. Even Xochitl said in an interview recently that MCU America is different from the comics due to her age and inexperience, and that really shows in the way they portrayed her in the movie.

The only reason I give them a pass it's because America is so disconnected from the original Young Avengers team that I don't mind if she ends up being younger than them. She was always an ''outsider'' who just joined them because of Loki's shenanigans, and I guess this is something that can still be done even with her being younger.

The sheer level of disrespect towards miss Katherine Elizabeth Bishop when she was arguably the most useful person when the Young Avengers battled Kang. Like, sure, Nate was the one who gave him the final blow, but only because Kate was the one who disarmed him and made him vulnerable. All of that while still being able to stand still (something you can't say about poor Patriot over there LOL).

It's fan art. The only reason why it's being shared it's because of a stupid ass Twitter user called ''Moth Culture'' who does nothing but spread fake news and misinformation.
    Say it louder for those in the back. Kate Bishop has always been a badass with a bow and is important to the Young Avengers team, including their defeat of Kang. And she does it without any powers. Kang better watch his tech when Kate's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    That's incredible! They all look so stunning in color! I really want a new YA volume 3 now.

With the time frame were working with Julian & Jett are fine YA still looks to be years away people only have an issue with the casting because of the rush to get to the gay relationship with Billy & Teddy. Fact of the matter is YA should not be as old as the X-Men, Spider-Man or Johnny Storm & at the rate we going they will be.
    I mean the minute they made Peter Parker a teenager and Hank Pym a retired hero the MCU threw out the established age ranges from the comics. Kamala is what... 2 years younger than Peter in the MCU? My main problem is that they didn't have any consistency in how old the YAs all were when introduced. To me it wouldn't matter if they cast a bunch of 20 yr olds or a bunch of teenagers, as long as the group had cohesion. They've made it unnecessarily difficult to get the team assembled.

Absolutely stunning!!!

Another thing about the age is Peter Parker is constantly made a teenager in various Marvel media outside the comics. In the comics he's older then the Young Avengers and the Champions, but in one of his recent shows he was the same age as Kamala, Riri, Amadeus Cho, and Miles Morales. A lot of young/teenage heroes have been introduce since the days of teenage Spider-Man, and since Marvel media love focusing on teenage Spider-Man the age gap between him and the other young heroes was bound to overlap. The MCU has the excuse of the Snap/Blip to explain why many of the Young Avengers are around the age of Peter Parker.

Yeah, Peter was blipped himself, as we saw at the end of Infinity War, so anyone who wasn't blipped could be born five years after him and still be the same age. That's the case for Kamala, as it happens. None of the Khans were blipped, thus their age gap narrowed. It otherwise would've only been about three or four years different to the comics, where their age gap is around 10 or 11 years.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well, people also have an issue because, as pointed out a million times, it also fucks up the dynamic of the team. Billy and Tommy being 15 years younger than the OG Young Avengers is ridiculous. It doesn't matter as much what their ages are compared to heroes of outside franchises; the LEAST they could do is to keep consistency on the ages of the heroes within their own group. It's really not that much to ask.

And even if it was just about the gay representation, that's actually a perfectly valid reason too. Wickling is not some corny ass Disney Channel Original Movie romance, so there is no reason why I should want them to be stuck as kids while the other Young Avengers get to have more mature stories in present time. There is literally nothing wrong with wanting the characters to be like they are in the comics. I also think it's safer to cast older actors for queer roles because they already know what they're signing up for. We don't know if Julian or Jett are gonna have the acting chops or be truly comfortable playing those type of characters when they're older, and I prefer not to take the risk. Like, I'm not sorry for wanting what's best for my favorite characters.

OMG, this is so good! The starry background! The M'Kraan Crystal around them! Art!!

I love your commitment to Paradox Lost, btw. You're single-handedly promoting this better than Marvel did.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-15-2022 at 12:16 PM.