Page 1 of 94 123451151 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Default Young Avengers Appreciation 2022

2021 was a relatively good year for the Young Avengers, with several members making their MCU debut and some individual spotlight in different comics. Let's hope the new year will bring us a proper Young Avengers relaunch in the comics and a proper announcement of a live-action production!

Replying to posts from the previous thread:

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    Naw. They can easily be worked into a book. If other royal characters can do it, there's no reason Billy and Teddy can't too.
    Yeah. If Black Panther and Thor can rule their respective kingdoms while hanging out with the Avengers simultaneously with no explanation as to how they have time to do both, there's no reason why Billy and Teddy have to be stuck with the Alliance in all stories. Comics continuity is always all over the place. And like I had said just in my previous post, their latest book literally offered a solution to the problem by having Teddy say they could go back and forth between Earth and space. So if even canon acknowledges this as a possibility, this is a non-issue entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000
    How about we STOP with the calls of flops.

Champions have 47 issues

Young Avengers 27 issues

I know Champions is the book that features the HATED by certain fandom roster-yet Miles, Ironheart, Kamala & Sam have more solo issues than all the YA guys put together.

And if we are going to rank teen teams-New Warriors, Runaway, X-Men Academy & Avengers Academy also have more issues than YA.

So who is the flop that can't be picky in who needs to be on the roster?

But as Mreddie said it might be Ironheart & Kamala since they like Kate, America and Eli are already being shown in live action. So there would be no Miles or Nova.
    I'm not gonna get into this argument of who is the most flop team, but you are greatly understating the actual number of issues YA have. If you count all of their minis over the years plus Avengers: The Children's Crusade, their legacy numbering is actually 57 issues. And let me also add that we just don't know how long a YA ongoing can actually last because they never had a proper ongoing. Both Heinberg's and Gillen's runs were maxi-series, ending at the #10s mark because the creative team chose so. So I don't think it's fair to compare it to team books which actually had long runs because they were allowed to keep going as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya
    Legal stuff probably would keep Miles off
    Yeah, I don't see Marvel having to come up with a whole deal with Sony just because of Young Avengers. I don't think it's worth the time and money when Spider-Man was never a big part of Young Avengers lore. At best, Jessica Jones investigating the team while she was working for JJJ/The Daily Bugle was the biggest connection the Young Avengers had to a Sony franchise, but that's not something that's necessary in live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Replying to posts from the previous thread:

Yeah. If Black Panther and Thor can rule their respective kingdoms while hanging out with the Avengers simultaneously with no explanation as to how they have time to do both, there's no reason why Billy and Teddy have to be stuck with the Alliance in all stories. Comics continuity is always all over the place. And like I had said just in my previous post, their latest book literally offered a solution to the problem by having Teddy say they could go back and forth between Earth and space. So if even canon acknowledges this as a possibility, this is a non-issue entirely.
    Not getting into the rest of it but.... have you actually been reading those books recently? The point of their stories right now is THEY CAN'T do both, even if they want to. Thor's an absolute train wreck as king, he SUCKS at it. Asgard is falling apart, and while some has been just plain bad luck to be fair, it is explicitly laid out that it is also in a large part because he is trying to split his time between ruling and superheroing, and it's just not going to work, the job of ruling is too big to part-time it, he has to dedicate himself to one or the other. It is literally one of the core themes of Cates' entire run that he cant do both, or at least not do both well. T'Challa was removed as chairman of the Avengers due to conflict of interest concerns, and on top of that, Wakanda was made into a constitutional monarchy, his role of king is now largely ceremonial, with no actual power or duties to speak of. Which he doesn't like, but that's beside the point. I realize that T'Challa in particular has juggled both in the past, but recently, Marvel seems to be interested in exploring why this can't actually work. So to have Teddy skirt that while Thor and T'Challa have to face consequences arising from trying to do both would feel weird.

Look, I love the OG lineup of Young Avengers, but aside from Cassie, they are over 20, and doing their own things. Even if Teddy wasn't off being king of space, it would still be a challenge, because they all found their own paths, not just Teddy. Young Avengers was in a large part about seeing them grow up, and moving on in different directions in their lives is part of that. They can still be used as characters, just maybe not as the Young Avengers specifically, so maybe it is time to let someone else use that name.

tho i do agree that if it just the Runaways taking the name, that would be dumb.

Young Avengers ended Champions was canceled multiple times their is no comparison, no matter how many times they rebrand they flop period, it's a fact.

If the old team reunites, I hope they adopt the name New Avengers. It would be like going full circle since the NA were the main Avengers around the time of the YA’s debut.
    But I think I’d be even more happy if they start getting integrated into the main team or get strong roles elsewhere.

I love Teddy as King of the Kree-Skrull Alliance. That set up needs a new book now that they cancelled GoTG yet again.
    Kate as a main Avenger could be really fun to see if written by someone better than Jason Aaron. After leading her own spin-off team, that would be the next logical step for her.
    I feel like Wiccan and America would have made more sense than Ghost Rider to be the focal characters of a multiverse Avengers team. That would give Billy an important niche.
    Patriot should be working alongside Cap when that book finally relaunches. I think that would be the best way to reintroduce him to audiences.
    Speed could join an X-team alongside Prodigy. If X-factor was still around, that would be a good recurring role for him.
    And I hope Ant-Man gets a new book with more focus on Cassie. Or she could also be in a new version of the YA as the more experienced member of a new team.

As a huge fan of Teddy and Billy, I hope they will be a part of an upcoming Young Avengers title. But yes, New Avengers might be a better name for them now that most of them are adults.

As a fan of both Billy and Tommy I hope they will fix one problem about them in the MCU. I will add spoiler tags just in case.
    spoilers:
    If it is true that they will be in the upcoming Doctor Strange-movie, I hope they will have another ”age spurt” there. They are too young in WandaVision.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Not getting into the rest of it but.... have you actually been reading those books recently? The point of their stories right now is THEY CAN'T do both, even if they want to. Thor's an absolute train wreck as king, he SUCKS at it. Asgard is falling apart, and while some has been just plain bad luck to be fair, it is explicitly laid out that it is also in a large part because he is trying to split his time between ruling and superheroing, and it's just not going to work, the job of ruling is too big to part-time it, he has to dedicate himself to one or the other. It is literally one of the core themes of Cates' entire run that he cant do both, or at least not do both well. T'Challa was removed as chairman of the Avengers due to conflict of interest concerns, and on top of that, Wakanda was made into a constitutional monarchy, his role of king is now largely ceremonial, with no actual power or duties to speak of. Which he doesn't like, but that's beside the point. I realize that T'Challa in particular has juggled both in the past, but recently, Marvel seems to be interested in exploring why this can't actually work. So to have Teddy skirt that while Thor and T'Challa have to face consequences arising from trying to do both would feel weird.
    You are making a point in-universe, while I'm making a point off-universe. Like, yes, in-story, they can come up with any narrative they want about how hard it is to do both, but off-story, we have seen time and time again that those stories don't always actually impact which characters they use, unless a character just gets killed off for good. I just used T'Challa and Thor as an example, but you can literally see that with any Avenger that has a solo book: at one point Captain America was in jail, but still being published with the Avengers. Captain Marvel went rogue for a while, while still being published with the Avengers. Those stories never dictated that Steve or Carol had to be removed from the Avengers books while they dealt with their **** on their own books. And no matter what narrative the Thor or Black Panther books create... at the end of the day, if a writer really wants to use Thor or Black Panther in their group book, they will find a way to make it happen. I believe the same applies to Billy and Teddy. We literally just saw that happening: Billy popped up on Trial Of Magneto OUT OF THE BLUE, WITH NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER. Some people even complained about how random that was... but did it matter to Marvel? Nope. The writer wanted to use Billy in her story, so she found a way. That's comics, for better or worse.

Look, I love the OG lineup of Young Avengers, but aside from Cassie, they are over 20, and doing their own things. Even if Teddy wasn't off being king of space, it would still be a challenge, because they all found their own paths, not just Teddy. Young Avengers was in a large part about seeing them grow up, and moving on in different directions in their lives is part of that. They can still be used as characters, just maybe not as the Young Avengers specifically, so maybe it is time to let someone else use that name.
    We're always having this conversation about whether it's time for the OG Young Avengers to move on from the team, and I always have the same opinion: they're not ready yet. Not just because they're still young, but because the Young Avengers brand is inevitable. Once we get MCU Young Avengers and those characters are at their most mainstream they've ever been in every other single media, do we honestly think Marvel is not gonna capitalize the hell out of that brand for them in the comics? We might as well embrace it. To me, the right approach is not to leave Young Avengers behind, but to make it evolve into something bigger that would make sense for the characters right now. This way, they can have the best of both worlds: character development, while also cashing in on brand recognition.

And this discussion about getting a new name for the team is not one we'll need to have for a very long time, because those characters aren't getting ''too old to call themselves Young'' anytime soon. They've had TWO ongoing books, which didn't even last that long. That's not nearly enough to act like the title needs to be retired or passed to a new generation. There are literally SO MANY stories still left to tell.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-01-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think allowing those who have not gotten that much focus on the team is needed, and using the Young Avengers brand is a good way to get more attention to them. Replace some of the characters with already existing young heroes and characters that work to display the appearance of what Young Avengers, and have the Vol 1 Young Avengers story telling of continue character development and interactions over the course of arcs. Volume 2 I think failed to most or at least half because it didn't do this with the exception of Noh-var kindof none of the new Young Avengers felt they had that look, and as for development well let's use the "best friends" Kate and America as an example except for the final issue did they have any interactions? These are the things that make the Young Avengers what they are and it also would be ok to have other young hero teams that don't use this.

So ya Volume 2 have the likes of Eli, Tommy, and Cassie with maybe 2 "new" characters for a start and have an arc planned for each. Champions could exist beside this easy, though it should go the big team one with multiple squads, this helps seperate the 2 teams even more.

Happy New Year to the Young Avengers and their fans .

Happy New Year!

To chime in, I’d say the charm and appeal of the Young Avengers was always the group. They weren’t a collection of solo characters that came together in a team book. They were crafted as a group of friends. Volume 2 did great with the addition of Noh, America and Loki, but Eli, Cassie, Jonas, and Tommy were sorely missed. The ‘Young Avengers’ is just a title to me, the characters and their relationships are at the core of YA to me and I don’t think we had enough time with them together to effectively move on from them as a group. I still think the name fits though, but another name can work too. There’s plenty of story left to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I think allowing those who have not gotten that much focus on the team is needed, and using the Young Avengers brand is a good way to get more attention to them. Replace some of the characters with already existing young heroes and characters that work to display the appearance of what Young Avengers, and have the Vol 1 Young Avengers story telling of continue character development and interactions over the course of arcs. Volume 2 I think failed to most or at least half because it didn't do this with the exception of Noh-var kindof none of the new Young Avengers felt they had that look, and as for development well let's use the "best friends" Kate and America as an example except for the final issue did they have any interactions? These are the things that make the Young Avengers what they are and it also would be ok to have other young hero teams that don't use this.

So ya Volume 2 have the likes of Eli, Tommy, and Cassie with maybe 2 "new" characters for a start and have an arc planned for each. Champions could exist beside this easy, though it should go the big team one with multiple squads, this helps seperate the 2 teams even more.
    Vol 2's issues had less to do with the roster and more to do with Gillen wanting to write a Loki book and twisting the YA around that idea instead of writing a YA story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Young Avengers ended Champions was canceled multiple times their is no comparison, no matter how many times they rebrand they flop period, it's a fact.
    Since we are using facts

Champions still have more solo success and team issues than Young Avengers.

Ended or ax does NOT change that FACT.

We are into what year 8 of no book. With some members finding success without the YA brand.

Point is you can want the YA but we don't need any bashing of other franchises.

Point is if Marvel throws any of them on a YA team-everyone has a choice buy the book or NOT.

We're always having this conversation about whether it's time for the OG Young Avengers to move on from the team, and I always have the same opinion: they're not ready yet. Not just because they're still young, but because the Young Avengers brand is inevitable.
    Marvel said different.

8 years and Kate and Hulking & Wiccan have found success elsewhere. So comics Marvel says they have moved on.

Now when Marvel wants to toss out release of trades-we will see a team of SOMETHING claiming to be YA. Same thing we saw with New Warriors, Generation X, Young Justice, whatever is claiming to be Teen Titans or Titans and Runaways.

You can't bring everybody back.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You can't bring everybody back.
    Yes. Yes you can. Its really easy.

And yes, a series ending on its own is entirely different than one being given the axe and forced to reboot due to editorial mandate.

I mean, I'd still say characters like Kate, Billy, and Teddy are running off the success and nostalgia of their YA years even when they're in different books.

Random question: do we think Billy and Teddy's digital Infinity comic will ever appear in a printed format? I own basic every trade the boys have been in. I'd like that too, but don't know how likely it is.