Page 19 of 94 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    The full plot of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness has leaked and it's even worse than I thought. https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudi...madness_4chan/

spoilers:
    Not only do the twins from WandaVision not age-up they don't even enter the main MCU timeline. So not only do we STILL NOT HAVE THE TWINS AS TEENS we're not even getting the child versions in the MCU either. And the movie ends without even a hint of when the twins might enter the MCU.
    end of spoilers
    Lmao I hate to be like I told y'all so but...... Told y'all so lmao I knew it tho honestly I'm not worried.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    And so much for me thinking they were making her human. She straight up says she is an alien in this video, LMAO. I guess they're really going with the ''she's an alien latina, don't ask'' approach without really worrying about the ''problematic'' aspects of it. Honestly, I don't mind because it's sci-fi/fantasy fiction and I believe if people can accept that Superman is a white dude, then there's no reason why America can't be latina. Plus, depending on what origin they give to the Utopian Parallel (something that was never truly fleshed out in the comics), I guess they could explain how latin@ culture/language found its way into the place.
    The problem with an Alien Latino is because Latin@ isn't a race (although Americans seems to treat it as one), but a etchnicity. So, you shouldn't be latino if you're not from Earth .

I guess if the Alien was raised in Latin America, it could be considered an Alien Latino.

The issue is that Americans often use Alien Latino for aliens who have physical traits they associate with Latin@, which is dumb and problematic.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-03-2022 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The problem with an Alien Latino is because Latin@ isn't a race (although Americans seems to treat it as one), but a etchnicity. So, you shouldn't be latino if you're not from Earth .

I guess if the Alien was raised in Latin America, it could be considered an Alien Latino.

The issue is that Americans often use Alien Latino for aliens who have physical traits they associate with Latin@, which is dumb and problematic.
    Aliens aren't real & this is fiction it doesn't matter lmao.

Extraordinary Member

Alien meaning they are not native to mcu main earth,616 marvel earth or our real earth etc...
    So someone could be from another earth and still be a alien and human.
    We will have to wait and see what they mean by alien for chavez in the mcu.
    Alien meaning just from another earth and human or from another planet that is not earth and not human.

Note-in the star wars universe human looking types(luke,solo etc..)are called humans as well but they are not from earth.
    Last edited by mace11; 05-03-2022 at 06:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

If this is true, maybe they cast based on Xochitl's actual heritage (she is half white, half brown/native), but damn, casting what appears to be a whole white woman to be one of her moms is not going to make the discourse over her ethnicity/race/skin tone better when both of her moms were supposed to be brown-skinned just like her in the comics. I think the one on the right was decent enough casting, though.
    Well mcu america chavez is not a racially brown latina,she is asiatic origin(native/east asian)looking type.
    The actress is latina but does not look racially like the america chavez in comics,cartoon and games.
    So it makes sense that one of her parents is a native american asiatic looking type instead of brown.
    They could have had both her parents be like her too(half white and half native american asiatic )in the mcu but they choose this route instead,white looking parent and native american asiatic parent.
    Anyway they are consequences too when race swapping a character even if they have the same ethnicity but not the same race backgroud.
    Last edited by mace11; 05-03-2022 at 06:12 AM.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Alright I'm going to go over this for the final time.

- the actress playing Kate Bishop is 25
    - the actress playing Cassie Lang is 25
    - the actor playing Eli Bradley is 23
    - the actress playing America Chavez is 16
    - the actor playing Kid Loki is 14
    - the actor playing Tommy is 12
    - the actor playing Billy is literally still 10 years old
    - obviously whoever ends up playing Teddy is going to be close to if not the same age as the actor playing Billy

How long until a YA project? I know 20-somethings playing teens is nothing new in Hollywood but lets be real; they didn't cast Hailee Steinfeld and Kathryn Newton to play teens or even 20 year-olds alongside an actor who is literally 15 years younger than them.

If they are letting those kids age into the roles of Wiccan and Speed then that means that Wiccan, Speed and Hulkling are all going to be younger than Kid Loki.

Also if they're letting those boys age into the role then that means there's going to be a SEVEN YEAR AGE GAP between the heterosexual characters and the non-heterosexual characters. At what point do we just call a thing a thing? At best this is bad optics.

Kid Loki being a kid is fine, he's literally called Kid Loki, but Wiccan, Speed and Hulkling are all going to be younger than Kid Loki? Oh gee, I wonder why?

Kate was introduced as the co-lead of a show and already got to beat Kingpin. Other teen/young adult superheroes like Kamala and Riri are getting their own shows right off the bat. But Billy and Tommy have to be introduced in one project, used as a plot device in another, and then left to presumably be included in a future project (again presumably) where they become Wiccan and Speed. Oh gee, I wonder why?

There is no logic in letting those kids age into the roles when the actresses playing Kate and Cassie are so much older than them. They already recast the role of Cassie with that actress, it's obvious she's going to be playing her in a YA project.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 05-03-2022 at 07:25 AM.

I don't think this is the reason why they cast her significantly younger than the comics because they want EVERYONE around for a long time, and that doesn't stop older actors from being cast. It's pretty clear they're adapting her straight from the Young Avengers book, and that was very specifically a book about young people on the edge of adulthood, as opposed to the first volume when they were still in high school. America was never a part of that era of comics, though. I actually feel like Kate or Cassie would make a lot more sense as 14-year-old heroes, specially Cassie who ACTUALLY had her superhero start at 14. But Kate skipped her entire teenage years and now even Cassie is older than America in the MCU...

I think I've learned to accept the casting by now and I AM pretty excited for Xochitl's portrayal, but it will never not feel weird in the back of my head.
    Yeah, the age gap in the YA is going to be...interesting to say the least.

Casting Kathryn & Hailee was a mistake I think the casting of Jett, Julien & Xochti was genius & provides longevity y'all just wanna rush to the gay relationship it'll happen when it happens they got time.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Casting Kathryn & Hailee was a mistake I think the casting of Jett, Julien & Xochti was genius & provides longevity y'all just wanna rush to the gay relationship it'll happen when it happens they got time.
    I mean, I think you can get pretty decent longevity out of actors in their mid-20's but I can't imagine they're going to keep Billy and Tommy as young as they are here unless they really want to drag out the YA.

This is the whole crux of my argument, even if you (and by "you" I mostly mean it hypothetically, I'm not trying to attack you personally), think that the casting of Hailee and Kathryn is a mistake, it's a moot point. They cast three of the YA members, who are all hetero characters, significantly older than the rest of the actors who they've cast for the YA, who are all non-hetero characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I think you can get pretty decent longevity out of actors in their mid-20's but I can't imagine they're going to keep Billy and Tommy as young as they are here unless they really want to drag out the YA.
    Exactly. And the casting of Kate, Cassie and Eli implies that the YA are coming sooner rather than later. I've seen some people speculate that Kate won't be a part of the YA and she'll be on the West Coast Avengers instead but even if that were true it doesn't explain Cassie's casting, and they even recast that role specifically with an older actress.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Look Peter literally just turned 18 in the MCU & Kate is older than him I think that is a mistake they should have casted young from the beginning IMO MCU is just beginning as far as I'm concerned I want my faves around for a long time.

Look Peter literally just turned 18 in the MCU & Kate is older than him I think that is a mistake they should have casted young from the beginning IMO MCU is just beginning as far as I'm concerned I want my faves around for a long time.
    I think Cassie's in-universe going to be around Peter's age but I guess they wanted an older Kate because they felt it would be more believable.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm not reading spoilers, but judging by the reaction I'm assuming Billy and Tommy don't age up, which at this point it's not totally shocking to me. I mean, they could've done that and it would've been a great tease, but it was never going to be more than that. They were never going to be a big part of this movie, just like they weren't a big part of WandaVision. I think we need to accept that Marvel might not be ready to cast Wiccan and Speed yet until they find the people and the project they're going to stick with, and that's not totally a bad thing. I think that waiting for the best is better than a rushed casting they might regret later (like casting some girl as Cassie for Endgame and then changing their minds a year later for another film where she would have a big role). We might even have to wait until a Young Avengers project itself gets announced to truly find out who they're casting.

And like I've said before, there's also the factor that casting Billy alongside Teddy gives them the opportunity of testing the best possible combinations of actors so they can cast whoever has the most chemistry with each other. I fully believe that's the reason why they were initially casting Teddy for WandaVision; they probably had plans to age Billy up back then, but then decided to keep him as a kid, which pretty much killed Teddy's role on the show. I'm choosing to see things from this perspective just so I can keep myself sane and tell myself that I just have to be patient and good things will come. lol

And no, I'm not even entertaining the thought of Julian and Jett being kept in those roles. At this point, that is just not feasible for Marvel at all if they wanna do YA. It would quite literally ruin the dynamic of the team and while those kids are cute, they are not worth the trouble. If it becomes clear YA is not happening, then I guess I can believe it. But I don't think it's a coincidence they're introducing almost every single team member just to do nothing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

Which was exactly America's case before the retcon, so...

Also, like I said, we don't know anything about the Utopian Parallel's culture. The place was literally created by an earthling, so who's to say earthling culture didn't make it into that world? Latin@ culture only is what it is today because of colonization, after all. Maybe something similar happened in her world. She doesn't even have an ''alien'' name, when you think about it. America Chavez, which is VERY much hispanic, was her birth name. Her mothers were named Amalia and Elena, also hispanic names. At one point, she was supposed to be part of an alien race called ''Fuertonas'' who dressed themselves as mexican luchadoras, which is as explicitly latin@ as it gets. Even before her experiences on Earth, America was pretty much inserted in latin@ references from birth. It's not something you can separate from the character.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-03-2022 at 10:30 AM.

I'm not reading spoilers, but judging by the reaction I'm assuming Billy and Tommy don't age up, which at this point it's not totally shocking to me. I mean, they could've done that and it would've been a great tease, but it was never going to be more than that. They were never going to be a big part of this movie, just like they weren't a big part of WandaVision. I think we need to accept that Marvel might not be ready to cast Wiccan and Speed yet until they find the people and the project they're going to stick with, and that's not totally a bad thing. I think that waiting for the best is better than a rushed casting they might regret later (like casting some girl as Cassie for Endgame and then changing their minds a year later for another film where she would have a big role). We might even have to wait until a Young Avengers project itself gets announced to truly find out who they're casting.

And like I've said before, there's also the factor that casting Billy alongside Teddy gives them the opportunity of testing the best possible combinations of actors so they can cast whoever has the most chemistry with each other. I fully believe that's the reason why they were initially casting Teddy for WandaVision; they probably had plans to age Billy up back then, but then decided to keep him as a kid, which pretty much killed Teddy's role on the show. I'm choosing to see things from this perspective just so I can keep myself sane and tell myself that I just have to be patient and good things will come. lol

And no, I'm not even entertaining the thought of Julian and Jett being kept in those roles. At this point, that is just not feasible for Marvel at all if they wanna do YA. It would quite literally ruin the dynamic of the team and while those kids are cute, they are not worth the trouble. If it becomes clear YA is not happening, then I guess I can believe it. But I don't think it's a coincidence they're introducing almost every single team member just to do nothing with it.
    I agree with the part I bolded. Also you say they casted "some girl" as Cassie in Endgame but that makes it sound like they picked some rando off the street. She's an actress trying to break out in Hollywood just like Kathryn Newton is and the way Marvel didn't even tell her that they fired her and she had to learn it when the news broke that Cassie had been recast was fucking gross. Like I get that Kathryn looks more like Cassie in the comics but the actress from Endgame looks more like she could be the daughter of Paul Rudd.