Page 67 of 94 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1396
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Whenever I speculate about ANY Young Avenger involvement and the accuracy of source material translation to the MCU, I remember this: WANDA MAXIMOFF

MCU spoiler alert? lol
    Wanda & Pietro are citizens of Sokovia whose ordinary parents were killed by a Stark missile landing in their home. They became radicalized teenagers who eventually volunteered for HYDRA experimentation, after which, the siblings demonstrated super powers and eventually fought the Avengers.
    There are parallels to be drawn between the source material and the events in the MCU, however, its much more loosely inspired than it is a direct translation.

We should all temper expectations for any and all handling of the Young Avengers.
    The details of EVERY "super-youth" of the MCU are already VERY different than their comic counterparts, so any fan-insistence on our part around what the MCU will have to do with Teddy feels inconsequential lol
    While you're correct about the MCU not doing direct adaptations and that we should keep our expectations in check, there are also factors that were involved in their decisions with Wanda and Pietro that don't really apply to the YA characters: the reason why they HAD to give them a different origin is simply because, at the time, Marvel Studios didn't have the rights to use some of the key elements of their backstory in the comics (mutants, Magneto, etc), so they pretty much had no other choice. But then you cut to 2021, and you see that the team behind WandaVision tried their best to bring Wanda as close as possible to some of her comic book elements, even retconning her previous origin by revealing she always had magic powers. And of course, giving her a magical pregnancy, which was very important to the Young Avengers later on. So even though they don't do direct adaptations, they did adapt this particular story in a way that easily allows them to be more comics accurate in the near future.

As for Teddy, there aren't really any legal issues regarding what race he is supposed to be. Marvel can freely use Kree and Skrulls. So even if they wanna change the identity of his parents, which would be understandable, I think keeping him as a Kree/Skrull is important enough to his story and easy enough to do that there isn't really any reason why they shouldn't do it. So yes, I can see them changing some details and overall context, but I think they already have the perfect set up for those characters and it would be very weird not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScarlet View Post
    Not to sidetrack but I was wondering about the Wiccan & Hulkling infinity comic (the continuation of the first infinity comic) that's apparently set to release sometime this year. Was a date or any kind of release information ever announced?
    My understanding is that their story happens to be one of the arcs of an anthology series called ''Love Unlimited'' that's being published right now. Much like the Paradox Lost Young Avengers story was the second arc of another anthology, which means we're only getting the Wiccan/Hulkling story after whichever other arcs wrap up first. I don't think they mentioned when that is happening, though.

But speaking of this comic, it's kinda funny thinking they made Agatha be the ''villain'' in the first part, knowing what we know now about Billy and Teddy possibly being in her show. I wonder if it was just a freak coincidence, or if it was a rare case of early synergy happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    In regards to Hulkling showing up in Agatha Harkness, the first half of Young Avengers Vol 1 said that he thought he was a mutant they might just save all the Skrull stuff for further down the line so we can see him as more of a human character that we see during the first half of Vol 1.
    It's not like his origins need to be addressed at all in Coven Of Chaos, to be honest. The casting call says ''Tyler'' is one of the leads and ''Patrick'' is a supporting role, so that probably means Teddy would only be there for Billy's story, which would likely be the bigger focus.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-23-2022 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ant-Man #3 preview - featuring Scott and Cassie!
    https://aiptcomics.com/2022/09/23/ma...w-ant-man-3-2/
    I'm glad she looks more her age here compared to other comics even if I'm still not crazy about Stinger.

Feels like we're retreading some stuff from the last Ant-Man mini though.

It could be immediately after that mini. Their current status quo will be how that book left it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Also, not sure if this is relevant and it might not even be the same insider who posted this casting call, but Charles Murphy randomly tweeted about Wiccan and Hulkling the other day, saying he couldn't wait for the day when they get cast in the MCU. I felt like it was such a weird thing for him to say because he's not usually a Young Avengers kinda guy on social media, and he also tweeted this after saying he was sitting on a lot of info that he was choosing not to share because he didn't wanna spoil things. Looking back now, it makes so much sense that he could've been hinting at those casting calls.
    https://twitter.com/_CharlesMurphy/s...01884423143424

''Excited about 2 characters being introduced in Agatha''

I'M CONNECTING THE DOTS, Y'ALL

Lamenting on America Chavez this morning.

I came across a preview for the Marvel Voices Communidades, and naturally our princess made the cut and has an entry, but since her most recent mini series and the depletion of her powers, I WISH she'd get some traction toward a resolution, or at the very least, a direction toward answers.
    Her digital exclusive Marvel Unlimited Voices miniseries, where she teams up with Loki and Brunhilda(??) for Asgardian shennangians was more of the same ("Oh no my powers failed me when I needed them!")

Has anyone been following her exploits in Kieron Gillen's Defenders Beyond? I saw a preview page for the next (or most recent?) issue, and she's identified as a paramedic for the multiverse again, which was a great throwback to Ewing's Ultimates.

EDIT: https://www.cbr.com/defenders-beyond...powers-marvel/ <-- a quick google search lead me to some positive news
    Last edited by Fokken; 09-26-2022 at 05:03 AM.

America Chavez is a part of the Defenders and Thunderbolts? That's pretty cool to be in two books, some characters don't even get one book these days. After reading that preview I was unaware of a Eternity Mask, it looks cool though. I wonder if she's gonna keep it? It does make a nice looking superhero mask.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    America Chavez is a part of the Defenders and Thunderbolts? That's pretty cool to be in two books, some characters don't even get one book these days. After reading that preview I was unaware of a Eternity Mask, it looks cool though. I wonder if she's gonna keep it? It does make a nice looking superhero mask.
    Oh right I forgot she's ALSO in the Thunderbolts.
    I wonder how much communication is happening between the two creative teams. Hopefully they're staying in touch to ensure cohesion of the character's progressing story.

Oh right I forgot she's ALSO in the Thunderbolts.
    I wonder how much communication is happening between the two creative teams. Hopefully they're staying in touch to ensure cohesion of the character's progressing story.
    Well, she was ill at the end of the first Thunderbolts issue. I don't know if that carries over from something that happened to her in Defenders.

Lamenting on America Chavez this morning.

I came across a preview for the Marvel Voices Communidades, and naturally our princess made the cut and has an entry, but since her most recent mini series and the depletion of her powers, I WISH she'd get some traction toward a resolution, or at the very least, a direction toward answers.
    Her digital exclusive Marvel Unlimited Voices miniseries, where she teams up with Loki and Brunhilda(??) for Asgardian shennangians was more of the same ("Oh no my powers failed me when I needed them!")

Has anyone been following her exploits in Kieron Gillen's Defenders Beyond? I saw a preview page for the next (or most recent?) issue, and she's identified as a paramedic for the multiverse again, which was a great throwback to Ewing's Ultimates.

EDIT: https://www.cbr.com/defenders-beyond...powers-marvel/ <-- a quick google search lead me to some positive news
    If there's anyone that can fix America, it's Ewing. I really hope he does something good with her by the end of his mini. I don't think there's much he can do in terms of her origins, but I really hope he at least can find consistency for her powers. Not sure what they're gonna do about the other major plot point that was left hanging (her sister), though. Marvel really drove themselves into a corner by doing such a radical change with no apparent plans for a decent follow-up. And now following her MCU debut, there's even less of an audience that cares for that retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    If there's anyone that can fix America, it's Ewing. I really hope he does something good with her by the end of his mini. I don't think there's much he can do in terms of her origins, but I really hope he at least can find consistency for her powers. Not sure what they're gonna do about the other major plot point that was left hanging (her sister), though. Marvel really drove themselves into a corner by doing such a radical change with no apparent plans for a decent follow-up. And now following her MCU debut, there's even less of an audience that cares for that retcon.
    It really felt like the comics division assumed that the MCU would ditch the Utopian Parallel, and decided to do it first.

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

It's so interesting to see how the comics side attempted to syngerize some of the YA before they show/ed up in the MCU. Like, on one hand you have synergy that was so low-key (granted we didn't have the info we do now) we didn't realize it was syngery with Agatha showing up in Billy and Teddy's infinity comic, and then you have incredibly heavy handed stuff like America's retcon that ended up being moot since the MCU went with a slightly tweaked version of her Gillen origin. Makes me wonder if we need to look out for things in the upcoming comic for Billy and Teddy that'll point to something they predict will happen in Coven of Chaos lol.

I really wish the MCU had come up with something better than...a bee.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Don't underestimate the power of a bee. It caused multiverse chaos!

As someone who's only read America Chavez through the YA volume 2 run and a single issue of the Thunderbolts and Hawkeye each what is her backstory that was retconned and changed? I hear this a lot that her backstory was changed and usually for the worse.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

There was some dumb speculation that Marvel was making America a mutant because of a post the Xochitl Gomez made saying "X-Men and women together"...but the caption was on a photo of her and Blue Beetles actor. Who's names both begin with the letter X.

Though they still might maker her a mutant since they did keep the origin of her powers kind of vague but that post isnt what thats about.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 09-27-2022 at 01:19 PM.

You know, I've been thinking a lot about the potential role Billy could have in Coven Of Chaos based on the casting call descriptions, and I came to the conclusion that... it doesn't seem like this will be Billy Maximoff. The Teddy casting call implies the two of them are already in a relationship, and both are in school. If the kid from WandaVision was brought back and decided to use his powers to grow up, wouldn't it be weird that he's enrolled in a school with a boyfriend already? Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't feel like an organic way to reintroduce him at all. It also doesn't seem like this is an AU Billy Maximoff looking for his family either, because if that was the case, I assume he'd have bigger priorities than dating someone from a random school of a random universe he landed on, no? In contrast, the casting call for America mentioned how she was from another universe. This one doesn't. No matter how you look at it, it just doesn't seem like this could be the Billy we've seen in the MCU so far. The casting calls make it seem like both of them are characters who have already existed in the 616 universe for some time (which would explain why Billy is described as a fanboy; he's lived in this world long enough to be immersed in their pop culture). So maybe this is just the hopeful in me wanting a more faithful adaptation, but... it sounds like we could really be getting Billy Kaplan? This is like best case scenario for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Replica View Post
    It's so interesting to see how the comics side attempted to syngerize some of the YA before they show/ed up in the MCU. Like, on one hand you have synergy that was so low-key (granted we didn't have the info we do now) we didn't realize it was syngery with Agatha showing up in Billy and Teddy's infinity comic, and then you have incredibly heavy handed stuff like America's retcon that ended up being moot since the MCU went with a slightly tweaked version of her Gillen origin. Makes me wonder if we need to look out for things in the upcoming comic for Billy and Teddy that'll point to something they predict will happen in Coven of Chaos lol.
    I'm honestly not even sure if the webcomic was really synergy or just a coincidence. But now I kinda want Agatha to return to the sequel. I thought there was a lot of potential in the stuff she said to Billy on the first part of the story. Even if not for synergy's sake, there's a good story that can come out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh god, yeah, in comparison to how her mothers sacrificed themselves in the comics to save their entire world, which caused America to flee due to her grief... the bee was kinda lame. But I did like that the MCU kept Amalia and Elena alive, at least. Now America has a bigger purpose, which is to travel the multiverse looking for her moms. I think that is a good plot for her in that universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    As someone who's only read America Chavez through the YA volume 2 run and a single issue of the Thunderbolts and Hawkeye each what is her backstory that was retconned and changed? I hear this a lot that her backstory was changed and usually for the worse.
    It was the YA origin that got erased. Everything that was explained on that book about the Utopian Parallel (and everything from Gabby Rivera's America book related to her other-worldly origins) was said to be just an illusion she created in her head, when in reality she was just a girl from New York with two scientist moms who offered her to be experimented on by this shady dude who promised to cure a disease she had. He ended up using extra-dimensional energy on her, which gave her powers, and the Utopian Parallel was simply the facility in which all of this happened. Her mothers helped her escape from the place ultimately, but died in the process, so she lost them in both origins. After that, she got adopted by this puerto-rican family from NYC, the Santanas, who raised her. The adoptive family was the only thing established before (in the Gabby Rivera book) that remained canon. In the end she also got nerfed as hell, with her powers malfunctioning due to her disease and not being able to be used as before. Oh, and she has a sister now who's kinda evil.

So yeah, you can probably see why this retcon was so unpopular. It was basically as if somebody said Superman wasn't actually from Krypton, but just a lab experiment from some dude on Earth, and then made him weaker.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-27-2022 at 01:45 PM.