Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And if Timeless was any indication, that wait will end soon - but it'll star the Runaways and not anyone from the traditional lineup.
    It'll flop

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

And if Timeless was any indication, that wait will end soon - but it'll star the Runaways and not anyone from the traditional lineup.
    I'm still not convinced that tease was for something specifically Young Avengers related, honestly. I think it's just a follow up to Rainbow Rowell's Runaways run, and they will slap the Avengers title there randomly so it will have a bigger chance of selling (like maybe a Future Avengers type of book, since future Gert was supposed to lead an Avengers team). If they had used the YA initials there, sure. But we only saw the ''A'' for Avengers, and Avengers is such a broad franchise these days that the team could end up being called anything. This is not even the first time a Runaway has been on an Avengers-related title (Avengers Arena, Avengers Undercover, Avengers A.I., A-Force).

Now, assuming it is a Runaways relaunch under the Young Avengers name..... honestly, I'm still not too worried. Like, would it irk me if vol. 3 is just a stealth title for another team? Sure. But it's the kind of thing that screams temporary storytelling. I don't see a 616 universe where the Runaways would remain as Young Avengers for more than a single run. I think this might be just Marvel's desperate attempt to give the Runaways some closure since their latest volume got cancelled with so many cliffhangers and loose ends. And then once it's done, they'll just go back to what they were before.

It's also possible we're all just overthinking this and it will turn out to be some AU that won't really matter that much to the 616 universe at all.

Read the accompanying text again. "A Young generation of Avengers rise..."
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Read the accompanying text again. "A Young generation of Avengers rise..."
    Yes, I'm aware. But the font was all in caps, so we don't know if ''YOUNG'' was supposed to be spelled as ''Young'', indicating the title of a group, or if it was supposed to be simply ''young'', an adjective to describe the age of the characters. Granted, both ''YOUNG'' and ''AVENGERS'' were bolded, so some took that as an indication that the two words were connected, but that's not really a confirmation, since speech bubbles in modern comics tend to have multiple words bolded anyway.

Reckoning War Alpha referenced the 2005 She-Hulk run, so I took a look at it, and found this in the first issue.

A couple of pages later...
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Lord, Jonas looked like he was on his 50s on that book... And that was a huge problem with him while he was active: people would forget he was supposed to be a teen synthezoid both in looks and personality, and just use him as a stand-in for the OG Vision, which could sometimes make him feel like he didn't have his own identity (not to mention it made his relationship with Cassie looks weird as hell). I feel like that definitely played a part in Marvel deciding to shelf the character after the other Viz came back.

Anyway, the funniest thing about this She-Hulk issue is the fact that Dan Slott was apparently using ''okay, boomer'' way before anybody else on the internet. LOL

And then of course, along comes Tom King, who created a female successor to Jonas, Viv Vision (though I've always suspected that the decision to make Viv a superhero was a later decision, probably Mark Waid's when they decided to create the new Champions team, as the Vision book foreshadowed Viv's death). But if Vision could build a wife and two kids, why couldn't classic Vision and Jonas co-exist?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-03-2022 at 03:45 AM.

Poor Jonas he's an unresolved issue that I do hope gets tackled 1 day like in theory he's just scrap in some Avengers Complex right now while all his "friends" have forgotten him & moved on with life, if they ever do bring him back I hope he gets a completely new body to separate himself from Vision.

I'm sorry but whoever wrote that...should not touch the YA. Having them job that bad on top of the terrible art is just not good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I'm sorry but whoever wrote that...should not touch the YA. Having them job that bad on top of the terrible art is just not good.
    That's unfair. This is very early in the YA's career--so we had a teenage girl with almost no experience, and who could not use her powers to their full extent because she was indoors and unable to grow to her full height without collapsing the ceiling on civilians, getting knocked out by a super-strong man with years more fighting experience than her. That's hardly an unfair or unrealistic situation to show Stature getting knocked out in.

The reason they were in that scene in the first place is because Stature and Vision had already beaten Boomerang and Ox once already and arrested them--so its not as though the story was trying to claim that the two of them were incapable of beating those villains.

Third printing cover for Timeless.

The Young Avengers panel on the right appears to show an archer. So even if the rest of the team is the Runaways, I'd say Kate's involved. There's no archers in the Runaways.

The Young Avengers panel on the right appears to show an archer. So even if the rest of the team is the Runaways, I'd say Kate's involved. There's no archers in the Runaways.
    Rebooting the Young Avengers with Kate as the leader but an entirely new cast is legit just West Coast Avengers all over again not what people want & it will probably flop.

With Secret Invasion getting a sequel comic series, I wonder how, or if at all, the Empyre status quo will play a part in it. 'Cause surely the current Skrull Empire would not allow an alien invasion. Even if it's a group of rogue Skrulls, Teddy would still most definitely get involved to make sure Earth is safe from his own people. I really hope Ryan North doesn't ignore him during this event.

Hmmm. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    With Secret Invasion getting a sequel comic series, I wonder how, or if at all, the Empyre status quo will play a part in it. 'Cause surely the current Skrull Empire would not allow an alien invasion. Even if it's a group of rogue Skrulls, Teddy would still most definitely get involved to make sure Earth is safe from his own people. I really hope Ryan North doesn't ignore him during this event.
    North seems like someone who would at least acknowledge and address current continuity with the Skrulls and Teddy's role in it.

I'm not so sure about that. Didn't he screw up with Champions and Fantastic Four continuity in his Power Pack mini? The Power Pack story started on the day that Kamala's Law came into force. Bear in mind, Alex and Julie Power were in the Future Foundation, and returned to Earth after Empyre was over in the Fantastic Four book. The problem is that Outlawed happened before Empyre! Teddy explicitly mentioned (in Incoming) that he was glad to be getting away from the impending law. The timeline is messed up, Power Pack should've taken place some time after the law was in place (around the same time as the later issues of that Champions run).