Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So the UK government is racist? The problem is only because she's a mutant, right? It's like saying someone can't enter the country just because they're black.
    Maybe not even just because she's a Mutant but because she's, like, barely relevant to the British people and is probably too committed to the X-Men to be a proper Captain Britain for the UK.

Problems you don't get with Brian.

Because unlike his brother and sister, he doesn't have the X gene, true.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Because unlike his brother and sister, he doesn't have the X gene, true.
    Or... because like she hasn't been a relevant British character since she left for the colonies and joined the X-Men in 1986!

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe not even just because she's a Mutant but because she's, like, barely relevant to the British people and is probably too committed to the X-Men to be a proper Captain Britain for the UK.

Problems you don't get with Brian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Or... because like she hasn't been a relevant British character since she left for the colonies and joined the X-Men in 1986!
    Something like that.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

I'm really sick of the whole "Betsy as Captain Britain" thing. The whole thing could be so easily solved if they just killed off the stupid Kwannon character. Turning Betsy/Psylocke into some kind of fetishized ninja was a really dumb move on Claremont and Lee's part and, while modern sensibilities have recognized that and swapped things back to how they were, Marvel can't/won't risk angering the fanboys who are super into the fetishized ninja character. So Brian suffers by having Betsy propped up using his mantle while the Psylocke name remains with fetishized ninja.

Honestly, I haven't read a single book with Captain Betsy and have no plans to. I hope Marvel uses Brian as Captain Britain in the MCU and that (for once) the comics-film synergy works in our favor.

So the UK government is racist?
    It is, actually, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It is, actually, yeah.
    Racist, amoral, stupid… the conservatives have it all at the moment.

I wonder if they'll mention the Queen's death.

I hope not. I can't see the current writer handling it with any subtlety.

I just don't think Tini Howard is a good writer. This may be harsh butt she comes across as someone who has an idea of the story she wants to do and doesn't much care if it suits the character's she has been allowed to play with as custodian of an existing book. Hence with these X-Men books there seems to be little heed given to whether the characters would act in the way she portrays them, based on previous character development in years gone by.

I bought that Death's Head mini a few years ago. I had been waiting for his return in his own book for 30 years, and what I got was Tini Howard writing a book about Wiccan and Hulkling, because that was clearly what she wanted to do, and didn't care that she'd been given a Death's Head book.

Also, anyone who know anything about Death's Head will know that he has a very, perhaps stupidly, loyal fanbase, and many are still grumbling about the unceremonious way Marvel UK disposed of them for their DHII 90s EXTREEEME!! book back in the day.
    I personally have affection for DHII as well as the original, but in a world in which there has been 30 years of squabbling about whether a new version of the character was at all necessary, it seems bizarre that Tini Howard's takeaway should be "what the fanbase wants in the long-awaited and triumphant return of the OG character is for me to introduce yet another version, and bring Death's Head 5 into the mix"!!
    No-one wanted that. No-one asked for it. And, if there's any justice in the world, we will never see or hear about that character again.

Writers: be creative. But don't bother applying for jobs on existing IP if you have no intention of respecting that IP. It's selfish, tiresome, and provocative for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    I just don't think Tini Howard is a good writer. This may be harsh butt she comes across as someone who has an idea of the story she wants to do and doesn't much care if it suits the character's she has been allowed to play with as custodian of an existing book. Hence with these X-Men books there seems to be little heed given to whether the characters would act in the way she portrays them, based on previous character development in years gone by.

I bought that Death's Head mini a few years ago. I had been waiting for his return in his own book for 30 years, and what I got was Tini Howard writing a book about Wiccan and Hulkling, because that was clearly what she wanted to do, and didn't care that she'd been given a Death's Head book.

Also, anyone who know anything about Death's Head will know that he has a very, perhaps stupidly, loyal fanbase, and many are still grumbling about the unceremonious way Marvel UK disposed of them for their DHII 90s EXTREEEME!! book back in the day.
    I personally have affection for DHII as well as the original, but in a world in which there has been 30 years of squabbling about whether a new version of the character was at all necessary, it seems bizarre that Tini Howard's takeaway should be "what the fanbase wants in the long-awaited and triumphant return of the OG character is for me to introduce yet another version, and bring Death's Head 5 into the mix"!!
    No-one wanted that. No-one asked for it. And, if there's any justice in the world, we will never see or hear about that character again.

Writers: be creative. But don't bother applying for jobs on existing IP if you have no intention of respecting that IP. It's selfish, tiresome, and provocative for the sake of it.
    Agreed. Creatives nowadays aren't too familiar with the classics.
    However, I also count myself among the loyal fanbase & still love both versions (OG DH & DH: II).
    Elusive it may be, I'd like nothing better than to see both return to their former glory with exciting & imaginative stories...

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-18-2022 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added Helpful Links.