Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Natasha Romanova: Black Widow Appreciation 2022

A happy new year to all Natasha fans!

Here's the new thread for our favorite assassin slash spy slash superhero, as a mutual spider-themed hero would put it.

bw11.jpg

What's next for Natasha:

- Her ongoing series by Kelly Thompson continues on January 5 with #13

- New scripted podcast series ‘Marvel’s Wastelanders: Black Widow’ comes out on January 10

- She'll have a team-up story with Squirrel Girl written by Charlie Jane Anders in Women of Marvel #1, coming on March 9

Old thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2021
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Happy New Year to Black Widow and her fans .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Year to Black Widow and her fans .
    Not only do I look forward to new appreciation threads every year, I also look forward to your wishes to the fans.
    Thank you for doing this and Happy New Year to you!

When I saw the thread title earlier my mind was apparently so used to reading Romanov that I read it that way again and I thought: Damn, somebody is gonna be livid.
    It was only when I read the name of the OP that I realized I just can't read.
    I'm gonna blame being hungover still

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    That looks so cool but I do hope the guy has more to him than "being able to beat Natasha in a fight".
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Fantastic Member

Love the current series - but am still miffed that the original BW died in Secret Empire #7 and was replaced by a clone in TofS #103 … and this is just sort of quietly accepted or forgotten.

Gathering this is unlike the Clone Conspiracy or Krakoa and the clone is really a separate being (recall the Ben Reilly outrage 25 years ago).

Similarly it is weird that the White Widow currently wandering through the 616 is also a clone of the deceased original Yelena.

Hoping this can be resolved before too long.
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Love the current series - but am still miffed that the original BW died in Secret Empire #7 and was replaced by a clone in TofS #103 … and this is just sort of quietly accepted or forgotten.

Gathering this is unlike the Clone Conspiracy or Krakoa and the clone is really a separate being (recall the Ben Reilly outrage 25 years ago).

Similarly it is weird that the White Widow currently wandering through the 616 is also a clone of the deceased original Yelena.

Hoping this can be resolved before too long.
    It's easy, just act as if Secret Empire never happened. Has the additional benefit of forgetting about a trash event that isn't worth remembering anyway.

The current one is the original BW. There's nothing to be resolved imo. After all almost no major hero is still the original given how many times they died and came back in no less convoluted ways.

I'd rather not forget secret empire seeing as it was my favourite event in forever but I agree that what followed was really just a way to get Nat back and whether that's cloning, time travel or magic it doesn't really matter.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

So we finally got another Black Widow issue!
    spoilers:
    I did not expect it to be an entire flashback and after that long wait a part of me is a little disappointed that we didn't see any present day shenanigans but setting my expectations aside and taking the issue for what it is rather than what it isn't I found it very enjoyable.
    The art continues to be strong and colours gave it a distinctive retro look that served the narrative quite well.
    The living blade is certainly formidable and the sense of dread coming from him increased by the pages with him sparring Natasha in the end probably being the most intriguing thing about him.
    However, assuming that he doesn't bite the bullet in the next couple of issues I'm not sure he has much "staying power" since he is effectively just a guy or at least looks like one which works well in this particular story at this particular time but doesn't exactly scream "iconic nemesis".
    end of spoilers

My Twitter

I would have expected more of a connection to the story in Uncanny X-Men #268. In the end it was just an encounter in Madripoor that could have happened at any time during the grey suit era. I would have liked something like her getting attacked by Hand ninjas on the last page so one could connect it to the older story.

That said, it's been so long of a hiatus that I don't know if KT or the solicits even said this would play at the time of that UXM story or if I made that connection myself due to the suit and the setting in Madripoor. So maybe I'm just projecting things that weren't intended.

I would have expected more of a connection to the story in Uncanny X-Men #268. In the end it was just an encounter in Madripoor that could have happened at any time during the grey suit era. I would have liked something like her getting attacked by Hand ninjas on the last page so one could connect it to the older story.

That said, it's been so long of a hiatus that I don't know if KT or the solicits even said this would play at the time of that UXM story or if I made that connection myself due to the suit and the setting in Madripoor. So maybe I'm just projecting things that weren't intended.
    I associate that suit with her teamups with Daredevil, so I was hoping he would be mentioned. Either way, it's a treat to see the old suit and haircut.

I don't think that was ever really teased or if it was I either forgot or missed it.

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I don't think that was ever really teased or if it was I either forgot or missed it.
    The transistion could have been pretty smooth though, the ending of BW #13 leading to this:

UXM268.jpg

There's only a continuity error as in BW #13 it's the right sleeve of Nat's suit that is torn, not the left. But we've seen bigger continuity issues in comic books than this, so I guess I can keep it as headcanon that the events of UXM #268 took place shortly after the fight with Living Blade.

I didn't know Natasha hated Florida, but okay .