Page 143 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143
Results 2,131 to 2,135 of 2135
    Mighty Member

Reading the new issue by Ziglar, and Scorpion just said that Miles is as annoying as the OG.

There is no better argument for why Miles counts as Spider-Man. That was his baptism. The villains have spoken.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I don't know who this character pretending to be Miles is but I found him too emotional and reactionary for my taste.
    How is it out of character for a 17 year old to have an emotional outburst? I get that people are hypercritical of writers "writing a person in character" but an instance of emotional vulnerability is not some betrayal of character.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    How is it out of character for a 17 year old to have an emotional outburst? I get that people are hypercritical of writers "writing a person in character" but an instance of emotional vulnerability is not some betrayal of character.
    I remember having some outbursts as a teen so this is on point with how he feels in the moment, barley being a float with everything and being Spider-Man. A teacher has it out for you because they think you are above them teaching you and now a villain how has it out for you because they think they deserve something they didn't win.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't think of him as a rival for Tchalla. Plus T'challa hasnt had any interactions with him.Minister Folsade feels more like a rival to T'Challa while Tosin is more of a rival to Shuri. Maybe when they have more interactions?

I like Raneem's role in the first issue. I prefer Ahmed's run more than Bendis so I'm glad it feels like a season 2.
    Fair enough. I was speaking more philosophically or ideologically.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd love to see Hobie show up. Technically the first black Spider-Man .
    Oh, true. Very true. Hell, I'm still dying to find out what Hobie's reaction was to Miles's Uncle Aaron taking up the Prowler identity, and now that Aaron is staying on the straight and narrow --- at least for now --- would that mean Hobie becoming Prowler again, or sticking with Hornet? Either way, would love to see him meet up with Miles at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Yeah, that's a good point there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaychance View Post
    I remember having some outbursts as a teen so this is on point with how he feels in the moment, barley being a float with everything and being Spider-Man. A teacher has it out for you because they think you are above them teaching you and now a villain how has it out for you because they think they deserve something they didn't win.
    Funny enough, Ultimate Peter had a similar problem with a teacher having it out for him after one too many outbursts of teenage (secretly Spider-Man-related) angst, and his response basically amounted to, "F*** you, I could teach this class." Then again, I doubt Miles would get the same leeway (any version of) Peter would ultimately get, pun fully intended, if his outburst of defiance had been the same.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I have a thesis proposal for the board, and I'd really love your input:

Miles Morales, under Bendis\Ahmed, thematically is closer to Pre-OMD married Peter, than Pre-Marriage\Current Peter.

While at first Miles was, like peter, driven by tragedy (First of substituting for the dead Ultimate Peter, than because of Venom eating his mom), both of those things got undone, leaving Miles without his "Uncle Ben." Current Miles is, in a word, fighting for recognition. To prove that he is fit to be Spider-Man. And his rogues reflect that--they are challengers to his mantle: Prowler is Spidey as thief (Later Bendis even has Aaron wear a Spider-Suit), There's Ultimatum\616 Miles, who's a gangster, then there are the clones: Selim, Shift and the third one. Finally, the new guy who's again playing into Miles not having earned his spot (in school, this time).

So, Miles is fighting off doppelgangers, WHILE protecting his family from harm. He's lost his Mom\Uncle before, and he won't do it again.

This is, tit for that, what Peter was going through circa 1987-2007. He had a concrete person who he was the designated protector of--his wife, MJ. So much so that Aunt May spent these two decades off-panel\dead\diminished, so much so that fans who came into the franchise around here clamor she should've stayed dead. And Peter had to "justify" his having earned a happy marriage\being Spider-Man against a bunch of wannabees, too! Venom who's Spidey but bigger, but also Kraven in KLH, Ben Reilly\Kaine and other clones, Ezekiel, etc.

Unmarried Peter doesn't really have that many people challenging him for the hero spot. He's broke, maidenless and has a sick aunt. The villains tend to brush him off, and he'd love to quit, except that with great power yadda yadda.

Okay, got that off my chest. What do y'all think?