Page 115 of 157 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 2354

Quote Originally Posted by Jaychance View Post
    It's kinda upsetting that Starling was pushed so much to be a potential girlfriend that she wasn't given any development and had some red flags that were ignored in this final issue for Saladin's run. I don't really like her as a character currently because looking back on it she's Bombshell but from Detroit.
    They even have the same last three letters to their first name
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    spoilers:
    This issue did have Miles win a college scholarship, so it looks like he'll be graduating off panel and changing schools in the new run. That also catches him up with Kamala, who also appears to have graduated high school off panel as she took an internship at Oscorp (i.e. got a job) in ASM, which was six months ahead. The books should now synchronise.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah everything should sync up now. It also makes the creation of Sean really weird, why add a bully of all things to a story where the mc is only going to be at the school for one more year?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
    You know, I've kind of noticed this. Maybe that's part of the reason why Saladin wasn't using Lana, because of how similar they are. Unfortunately for Tiana she hasn't been nearly as developed or likable as Lana. Even in this issue she seemed very abrasive and again taking something harmless Miles says and choosing to get offended by it.
    Yeah, I always assumed Starling's debut and Lana's lack of screentime coincided too coincidentally, especially when they both fill the "costumed love interest" slot.
    spoilers:
    This issue did have Miles win a college scholarship, so it looks like he'll be graduating off panel and changing schools in the new run. That also catches him up with Kamala, who also appears to have graduated high school off panel as she took an internship at Oscorp (i.e. got a job) in ASM, which was six months ahead. The books should now synchronise.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Can't you have an internship and still go to school? I don't see them off-screen graduating Kamala. Same with Miles.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I always assumed Starling's debut and Lana's lack of screentime coincided too coincidentally, especially when they both fill the "costumed love interest" slot.

spoilers:
    Can't you have an internship and still go to school? I don't see them off-screen graduating Kamala. Same with Miles.
    end of spoilers
    Yes you can.

See PreBendis era of Superman with Supergirl's book-she and her suppose to be boyfriend-Ben were still in school and doing that "other" thing.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    I like how that guy who suppose to be Miles own Flash Thompson got some karma in the end, and the Assistant Principal based on Ed Rooney in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" scene was really heartwarming as Miles secret is safe with him. Hope he's used again in the next run
    end of spoilers

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    spoilers:
    I like how that guy who suppose to be Miles own Flash Thompson got some karma in the end, and the Assistant Principal based on Ed Rooney in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" scene was really heartwarming as Miles secret is safe with him. Hope he's used again in the next run
    end of spoilers
    Those were both surprisingly nice and satisfying moments.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Feel like he is growing up to fast.

Quote Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
    Feel like he is growing up to fast.
    peter better watch out
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    peter better watch out
    Is Peter still going to college...?

Fantastic Member

I think so after they found out "he" plagiarized Otto's work.

That seems to have been dropped due to the change of writer. He now works for Oscorp. Maybe he was forced to drop out due to missing too many lectures while in hospital in Beyond?

Miles wouldn't encounter Peter (or Gwen, who was also at ESU) anyway, as I think his scholarship is for a different college.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-01-2022 at 04:01 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Liked the last issue well enough. Put a decent bow on most of the remaining plot threads. Loved seeing Miles hang out with, Barb, Ganke, and Judge again. (No Lana though predictably.) Loved Billie learning to walk, the Dutcher and Sumida chat, the lunch with shift and Aaron, checking on Kenneth with their progress at the Van Dyne institute, his speech at the banquet, and the team up at the end with Starling + Rhino. In a complete vacuum the date with Tiana was fine(I liked her dress) but in the context of the rest of the run this particular bow seemed unearned, I think I want to say? Tiana feels like she fluctuates character wise into whatever the story calls for from a female companion. There's no real challenge or pressure to her GF status internally or externally. The relationship at this point seems to be based entirely on physical attraction, which isn't a bad thing I think, but narratively I find it boring when practically every other love interest hits several unique or compelling buttons. Even Starling's racial value(I really had no idea what to call it.) of being the 1st big on panel Black love interest was put into question for me when Eve Ewing in a 2 issue team up showed unique and compelling potential with Riri Williams. Honestly it feels like she's only the 'winner' by the fact that Saladin completely removed all peers of Miles (not even just girls) from the book aside from Tiana. Really feels like she's fast tracking for Carlie Cooper-tier.

That said I'm surprised how little, back in the box happened. Billie didn't get magically aged up and flew the coop. Shift and Tiana are still around. The scholarship went through. A good bit of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    Liked the last issue well enough. Put a decent bow on most of the remaining plot threads. Loved seeing Miles hang out with, Barb, Ganke, and Judge again. (No Lana though predictably.) Loved Billie learning to walk, the Dutcher and Sumida chat, the lunch with shift and Aaron, checking on Kenneth with their progress at the Van Dyne institute, his speech at the banquet, and the team up at the end with Starling + Rhino. In a complete vacuum the date with Tiana was fine(I liked her dress) but in the context of the rest of the run this particular bow seemed unearned, I think I want to say? Tiana feels like she fluctuates character wise into whatever the story calls for from a female companion. There's no real challenge or pressure to her GF status internally or externally. The relationship at this point seems to be based entirely on physical attraction, which isn't a bad thing I think, but narratively I find it boring when practically every other love interest hits several unique or compelling buttons. Even Starling's racial value(I really had no idea what to call it.) of being the 1st big on panel Black love interest was put into question for me when Eve Ewing in a 2 issue team up showed unique and compelling potential with Riri Williams. Honestly it feels like she's only the 'winner' by the fact that Saladin completely removed all peers of Miles (not even just girls) from the book aside from Tiana. Really feels like she's fast tracking for Carlie Cooper-tier.

That said I'm surprised how little, back in the box happened. Billie didn't get magically aged up and flew the coop. Shift and Tiana are still around. The scholarship went through. A good bit of progress.
    Agreed about the Starling date, and even that had it's moment of Tiana zeroing in on something minor and making a problem out of it. If there were more of like what the actual date was throughout the run the relationship would feel more balanced. It's unfortunate because as you said she's Miles 1st big on panel Black love interest, but she got some unfortunate characterization. Their first actual date out of costume being in the last issue and even that gets interrupted feels off to me because they haven't done enough relationship stuff to make the whole "date gets interrupted by hero business" seem earned.

Makes me curious how Ziglar will handle her since the one time he wrote her before she was different from how Ahmed wrote.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Agreed about the Starling date, and even that had it's moment of Tiana zeroing in on something minor and making a problem out of it. If there were more of like what the actual date was throughout the run the relationship would feel more balanced. It's unfortunate because as you said she's Miles 1st big on panel Black love interest, but she got some unfortunate characterization. Their first actual date out of costume being in the last issue and even that gets interrupted feels off to me because they haven't done enough relationship stuff to make the whole "date gets interrupted by hero business" seem earned.

Makes me curious how Ziglar will handle her since the one time he wrote her before she was different from how Ahmed wrote.
    Saladin admitted he couldn't teens well and preferred the family dynamic as we see here where he couldn't write Starling to be likeable so he basically written the only other two girls in Miles's circle out of the story. Ganke is Miles's brother and we've seen that he is apart of the family always helping when he can, I didn't like the fake drama that was made just to make Miles mad at Ganke for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaychance View Post
    Saladin admitted he couldn't teens well and preferred the family dynamic as we see here where he couldn't write Starling to be likeable so he basically written the only other two girls in Miles's circle out of the story. Ganke is Miles's brother and we've seen that he is apart of the family always helping when he can, I didn't like the fake drama that was made just to make Miles mad at Ganke for some reason.
    Was that when he was still writing Ms. Marvel? And if he knows he can't write teens I can't imagine why he agreed to be the writer for the solos of two teen superheroes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Was that when he was still writing Ms. Marvel? And if he knows he can't write teens I can't imagine why he agreed to be the writer for the solos of two teen superheroes.
    He likes writing teen protags with family dynamics more than writing teens with social circles, that's why Miles was rarely in class/school if it wasn't writing or chem lab.