Page 76 of 157 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 2354

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The writer of the What If Miles was Thor issue has basically admitted it's a load of stereotypical crap and apologised for the inauthenticity. He donated his pay to charity.
    https://www.cbr.com/miles-morales-wh...s-pay-charity/
    Tell me again why this book even exist? It's bad enough that Miles has to go by "Miles" because when you say Spider-Man everyone just thinks Peter Parker. He isn't allowed a name of his own, why drag him down with this baggage? If you really think about it issues one through three are just as offensive. I know everyone is angry at the writer but keep in mind that this book was approved by EDITORS. Once again Marvel does something racist the writer takes their share of the blame and the editors slink away with nary a word, and the readers let them get away with it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The writer of the What If Miles was Thor issue has basically admitted it's a load of stereotypical crap and apologised for the inauthenticity. He donated his pay to charity.
    https://www.cbr.com/miles-morales-wh...s-pay-charity/
    I actually decided to check that issue out as a result... yeah, it was atrocious. I feel sorry for the trees that were sacrificed to print that. How on earth did editorial allow that to go to the press?

#40 variant by Stephen Segovia:

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Tell me again why this book even exist? It's bad enough that Miles has to go by "Miles" because when you say Spider-Man everyone just thinks Peter Parker. He isn't allowed a name of his own, why drag him down with this baggage? If you really think about it issues one through three are just as offensive. I know everyone is angry at the writer but keep in mind that this book was approved by EDITORS. Once again Marvel does something racist the writer takes their share of the blame and the editors slink away with nary a word, and the readers let them get away with it.
    I can actually agree with you on that front. Yeah, the writer deserves his share of blame, but Marvel editorial/execs deserve even more of it, given they were the ones who signed off on it or let it pass in the first place, which goes to show that they don't care nearly as much about greater inclusion and representation for peoples and communities that have historically been marginalized in popular media and culture as they claim they do.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaychance View Post
    It feels like Saladin is rushing to put everything back into the box by issue 42.
    Which is kinda ironic considering how it feels like this multiverse storyline has dragged on to the point that I’m questioning how they’re gonna explain Miles’ extended absence within his personal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Which is kinda ironic considering how it feels like this multiverse storyline has dragged on to the point that I’m questioning how they’re gonna explain Miles’ extended absence within his personal life.
    this can all happen under an hour if they want
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    In-universe he's probably barely been gone for a day.

I remember during the Sitting in a Tree story, Ganke joked about how Miles had his whole multiversal adventure in the time it took him to do his homework.

Spectacular Member

When i think of Spider-man i think of Miles. That's because i like Miles and don't care about Peter. Young kids that like Miles more will too. They can give him a new hero name, but it doesn't matter, because Miles is Miles. A new hero name will not make someone like Miles more or be less racist .

Quote Originally Posted by milesvspeter View Post
    When i think of Spider-man i think of Miles. That's because i like Miles and don't care about Peter. Young kids that like Miles more will too.
    Well kudos to you, but those young kids already know who the star of the franchise is because they have eyes and ears.

Quote Originally Posted by milesvspeter View Post
    They can give him a new hero name, but it doesn't matter, because Miles is Miles. A new hero name will not make someone like Miles more or be less racist .
    Exactly. What is racist is this whole series was just Marvel saying the quiet part out loud. Marvel will never give Miles a superhero identity of his own because they prefer him as an empty shell that they can fill with different personas.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Because your editors are really NOT doing their jobs.

Part of the job of being an editor is listening and seeking out pitches.

Now in some cases we have an editor make a pitch and dump it or toss it on a writer. See Leah Williams's Gwenpool-she did NOT pitch that. It was assigned to her.

Miles is not the only black/Latino teen in Marvel.

Where is the 5 part mini for say either Patriot? Spalding? Living Lightning? ANY Of the Avenger Academy or New X-Men kids.

Why couldn't we have gotten Synch and Miles in a story? Let it be a sequel to the Peter and Synch story years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No he used what he did with his more popular book and thought it would work here. It worked with kids but not adults.

That book and it's sequel just got some sell boosts thanks to this.

And this is really on the EDITOR-since this was the ONLY book he was working on. Who has worked on Star Wars Finn, Lando and Black Panther books.
    Geeze...I'm sensing a pattern here! Lol, let Marvel carry this "L" they wholly deserve it. People cry about not wanting to be labeled racist, well then stop yourself from doing things that can be easily coded as racist. This whole issue made it to a conversation on some of my fav podcast. They all Independently came to the same conclusion, this starts at the top where they refuse to allow black people to have greater decision making input.

Ultimate Member

Well kudos to you, but those young kids already know who the star of the franchise is because they have eyes and ears.
    Must be Miles then because I have been too major cons where kids were dressed as Miles way more than Peter.

You scream why he exists?
    He exists because when Marvel or DC have TRIED to invest in original created black characters way too many times the wave of pushback shows its face.

Be it fans.
    Be it store owners.
    Be it EVEN Marvel and DC employees.
    Someone will make it their business to screw it up. Especially the employees.

Example at DC-Duke Thomas. A major gripe with the Wayne Family Adventures webtoon is how he (and Luke) are done in it. Especially versus Tim Drake's boyfriend.
    Someone pointed out a lack of material as the reason. Bernard Dowd has 6 comic book appearances. Duke has 140. That is how an original black character is being treated.

Meanwhile legacy Aqualad is being fleshed out. Along with Jace Fox.

Why can't these editors find writers for original black characters?

For someone who is a SHELL as you claim-Miles Morales is looking at 100 solo issues next year and only took 12 years. A shell does not do that.

Not counting Milestone-DC has NO black character looking at that number.

For someone who is a SHELL as you claim-Miles Morales is looking at 100 solo issues next year and only took 12 years. A shell does not do that.
    Not to mention being the star of an Oscar award winning movie with two sequels on the way and starring in his own standalone video game and co-starring in an upcoming sequel.

Must be Miles then because I have been too major cons where kids were dressed as Miles way more than Peter.
    Major cons are not representative of the audience, nice bluff.

Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
    Not to mention being the star of an Oscar award winning movie with two sequels on the way and starring in his own standalone video game and co-starring in an upcoming sequel.
    Annnnndddd like clockwork here is the mention of the cartoon.

Sigh, let's get this over with.

One. The Oscars have no relevance anymore. Also did you miss the three movies with Peter in them culminating in that one that made All Of The Money? Oh, and Holland is negotiating for three more movies, not animated.

Two. Miles comic run. He is linked to the Spider-Man franchise and has had a not good but decent string of writers and artist. That's all it takes

Three. Videogames. Do I really have to say that Spider-Man: Miles Morales was smaller than the Peter's game release, but still longer than a traditional DLC leading many people to say it was lacking? Oh look, and now another full length game is coming and he is.....sharing the spotlight with Peter. It's almost like Sony doesn't want to waste real resources on him.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-25-2022 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Sigh, I actually said Maguire instead of Holland

The Miles game was probably only stand alone because of the new consoles coming out. They couldn't release it on Playstation 5 if it was just DLC as the previous Spider-Man game was a Playstation 4 game. And it was one of the PS5's key launch titles.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman