Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default I Am Batman #17 Preview

I Am Batman #17 Preview
    Writer: John Ridley
    Artist: Christian Duce

I'm not really sure what this really adds to the character other than more family drama and making Lucius look bad.

I mean, now he's bi-racial like Miles Morales? I guess? It's not like he's going to start speaking Japanese or anything.

Also funny to see Tanya complain about Jace running away from the family knowing how she did everything in her power to help him escape consequences.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Considering the ease with which Luke effectively got kicked out of the family over Tam’s condition, I’m going to wager he doesn’t know, and that it wouldn’t do diddly squat to his less than fuzzy feelings over Jace

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Considering the ease with which Luke effectively got kicked out of the family over Tam’s condition, I’m going to wager he doesn’t know, and that it wouldn’t do diddly squat to his less than fuzzy feelings over Jace
    I feel a bit sorry for Luke I don't really understand what he did to piss the family off.

I hope we see a Jace, Luke, Tiffany team up before the series ends!

Cross-posted from the Jace appreciation thread-

I'm not feeling the new development. The family drama is pretty stacked already so it feels like an unnecessary load. But there's 2 more issues so we'll see how it goes.

I don't mind the desire for representation but there were an easier ways to get it. For example- Ridley could've given Jace a new love interest that is Asian and them be a couple in Future State.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I feel a bit sorry for Luke I don't really understand what he did to piss the family off.

With Tiff at least it was his failure with Tam and the whole trying to hide from the family’s issues as Batwing (and then taking his resulting frustrations out on Jace)

As for Lucius and Tanya; their lousy parents and clearly played favourites, and probably gave no impression that they’d move heaven and earth for Luke the way they did for Jace.

Luke sees Jace as a spoilt brat who literally got away with killing someone (and was an utter overindulged screw-up long before that) who is parents and sisters continue to favor; while he the dutiful son was (in his sinking-into-depression-as-villain-origin mind) basically cast out of the family over Tam’s poisoning as soon as Jace returned. So he refuses to see how Jace has changed (at least in person, he seems to be somewhat more impartial when he’s separate from them)

Jace shares Luke’s low opinion of who he used to be; but Luke’s utter refusal to not see him as he was and the constant goading make him seem like an ass from Jace’s point of view; one as pompous as he thinks Lucius and Tanya are

Tam, for obvious reasons, wants a quiet life with no unnecessary stress

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Ridley really gonna do Lucius and Luke like this?
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah I really don't understand this development

Its just gonna generate even more endless drama and make everyone look even more like assholes which is already an issue with this book

There is way too much drama and not enough superhero stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    With Tiff at least it was his failure with Tam and the whole trying to hide from the family’s issues as Batwing (and then taking his resulting frustrations out on Jace)

As for Lucius and Tanya; their lousy parents and clearly played favourites, and probably gave no impression that they’d move heaven and earth for Luke the way they did for Jace.

Luke sees Jace as a spoilt brat who literally got away with killing someone (and was an utter overindulged screw-up long before that) who is parents and sisters continue to favor; while he the dutiful son was (in his sinking-into-depression-as-villain-origin mind) basically cast out of the family over Tam’s poisoning as soon as Jace returned. So he refuses to see how Jace has changed (at least in person, he seems to be somewhat more impartial when he’s separate from them)

Jace shares Luke’s low opinion of who he used to be; but Luke’s utter refusal to not see him as he was and the constant goading make him seem like an ass from Jace’s point of view; one as pompous as he thinks Lucius and Tanya are

Tam, for obvious reasons, wants a quiet life with no unnecessary stress
    The Fox Family drama is giving Empire a run for it's money.

The reveal is still iffy but the rest of the issue works for me.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I assume this thing with Hadiyah will be followed up in that supposed next book Ridley says he's working on

Astonishing Member

Oh I do not see this ending well

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post

Even Future State had Luke as an evil guy.

Astonishing Member

The Aggrieved sibling is fairly standard supervillain origin (and has a certain re-usability due to the MAD of knowing the secret ID of the hero); so on paper it sort of works but in practice a Luke who sells out to the Magistrate out of sheer spite towards Luke and Tiff sort of makes sense (especially for the Magistrate to have rounded up general DC/non-Gotham guys) is nonsensical and reeks of the current dragging of T’Challa over in BP

A lot of reveals in this comic I just had a "Huh?" reaction too.