Page 45 of 256 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    The only thing that scares me is all the promo art featuring or focusing solely on the new kids (Jon, Kaldur, Yara) and talk of a new generation stepping up. Worried Dick may be there just to give a speech and not actually do anything of meaning. Then again Williamson does mention legacy quite a bit, Dick also features in quite a bit of promo art and his talk of celebrating all the connections heroes have made over their history is a good sign for Nightwing.
    I'm only seeing one promo that has only the new kids, the others have Nightwing on it.

I find really funny that Jace is on that Trinity promo as the legacy of Bruce, even tho they didn't even interacted yet.
    Same goes for Yara, but she didn't even call herself Wonder girl or Wonder Woman.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Yeah agreed, it does not make much sense. I think on the original promo art there was Dick in his disco suit but it highlighted the new kids in the corner.

I honestly might be just a little over anxious though. Due to all the missed oppurtunities to use Dick in an event.

But WOW. I`m having issues attaching photos but I just went on Williamsons twitter and the first page of issue 1 is Bruce having Dick make his oath with the candle.

Yeah agreed, it does not make much sense. I think on the original promo art there was Dick in his disco suit but it highlighted the new kids in the corner.

I honestly might be just a little over anxious though. Due to all the missed oppurtunities to use Dick in an event.
    I understand the skepticism, given the track record. But at least Williamson is not the type of writer the like to **** on characters. At least not to my knowledge. The best issues of Death Metal were written by him.

In the end of the day, he might end up not using Nightwing as much, but i'm not concerned that he will drop a big pile of dump on this characters.

But WOW. I`m having issues attaching photos but I just went on Williamsons twitter and the first page of issue 1 is Bruce having Dick make his oath with the candle.
    I posted this image a couple of pages back.

Edit:

Last edited by Drako; 02-09-2022 at 10:59 AM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I understand the skepticism, given the track record. But at least Williamson is not the type of writer the like to **** on characters. At least not to my knowledge. The best issues of Death Metal were written by him.

In the end of the day, he might end up not using Nightwing as much, but i'm not concerned that he will drop a big pile of dump on this characters.

I posted this image a couple of pages back.

Edit:

I completely missed that entire page of the thread !

Pretty cool stuff! Looking like Nightwing may actually get some in universe recognition!

This is the first page of the book:

This is what really has me interested. Even if Dick is just a prominent side character, this one page? Definitely highlights how important Dick is to the DCU. He led the way for everything that followed.

Astonishing Member

You know, all else aside - if Dick has a prominent role *and* Williamson has been building to this with Deathstroke Inc/Shadow War, then this might be another itch getting scratched...

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    This is what really has me interested. Even if Dick is just a prominent side character, this one page? Definitely highlights how important Dick is to the DCU. He led the way for everything that followed.
    It's very promising. I've not felt this way about an event ever, I really feel like this event could honor Dick and other legacy characters in a way no event has before. Of course that's a very low bar... But this looks very exciting.

Incredible Member

Credit where credit is due, for as grounded and as Bludhaven focused Taylor’s run has been, it has done a great job establishing Dicks connection to the wider DCU.

Personal moments between he and Bruce, his meeting with Clark, his friendship with the Titans, the Wally and Jon team up. Even the small moment when a bunch of heroes were on standby to rescue him when he was captured issue 5. The runs done a lot of leg work for his “potential” role in Dark Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    You know, all else aside - if Dick has a prominent role *and* Williamson has been building to this with Deathstroke Inc/Shadow War, then this might be another itch getting scratched...
    Hey, that one spread does show Dick leading the vigil while Slade looks on, blowing out a candle so... they're setting something up there. Don't want to get my hopes up though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJustMetMartin View Post
    It's very promising. I've not felt this way about an event ever, I really feel like this event could honor Dick and other legacy characters in a way no event has before. Of course that's a very low bar... But this looks very exciting.
    Definitely a low bar, but it's nice to have anyways. It's what Rebirth was sold to us as and what it definitely didn't end up being.

Credit where credit is due, for as grounded and as Bludhaven focused Taylor’s run has been, it has done a great job establishing Dicks connection to the wider DCU.

Personal moments between he and Bruce, his meeting with Clark, his friendship with the Titans, the Wally and Jon team up. Even the small moment when a bunch of heroes were on standby to rescue him when he was captured issue 5. The runs done a lot of leg work for his “potential” role in Dark Crisis.
    Not really lol. Dick with Bruce, Clark, and the Titans doesn't really mean anything. He's constantly with Bruce in the Batman and Detective Comics books so there was nothing new there, and you definitely can't give any credit to Taylor when it's been the Batman books that have done the hard works in reconnecting the Batfamily. Clark being Dick's solo is definitely not new, we know how important he is to Dick. What would be new is Dick being in Clark's solo, but that's not happening, because Superman writers don't care about Nightwing. Wally and the Titans is great to see, but definitely not new. We've seen some of them together since 2016, and the others together in Teen Titans Academy. That's not thanks to Taylor at all. It would be new if we saw more obscure or newer Titans in the book, or even Dick's students, but we didn't see that. Basically, we've gotten nothing new so there isn't much of a wider connection. It's just the same Bats, the same Titans, and a Clark cameo, just like always. Mr. Terrific was nice, but that's a pull from Wally's solo and says a lot more about Wally's connections than Dick's. We've seen the JSA in Tomasi's run, that was different. I can instantly recall that because that's something you don't see often but does show Dick's reach. That's the type of stuff I expect for Dark Crisis.

All that said, the one big exception is Jon. Obviously, Taylor is writing Jon's solo and Dick's solo so it's nothing crazy, but it is significant and new and also directly relating to Dark Crisis. We see Dick and Jon on the Dark Crisis #0 cover, showing they'll both be some degree of prominent (trying not to get my hopes up for Dick here), and they're physically next to each other on the Road to Dark Crisis cover so their upcoming team-up is definitely going to have some impact on the event and that's really cool.

I remain skeptical. It wouldn't be the first time they use the appearance of Dick to help shepherd in others. Glad their not making him Batman though. For once Nightwing is actually picking up steam, so build on that.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-09-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Hey, that one spread does show Dick leading the vigil while Slade looks on, blowing out a candle so... they're setting something up there. Don't want to get my hopes up though lol.

Definitely a low bar, but it's nice to have anyways. It's what Rebirth was sold to us as and what it definitely didn't end up being.

Not really lol. Dick with Bruce, Clark, and the Titans doesn't really mean anything. He's constantly with Bruce in the Batman and Detective Comics books so there was nothing new there, and you definitely can't give any credit to Taylor when it's been the Batman books that have done the hard works in reconnecting the Batfamily. Clark being Dick's solo is definitely not new, we know how important he is to Dick. What would be new is Dick being in Clark's solo, but that's not happening, because Superman writers don't care about Nightwing. Wally and the Titans is great to see, but definitely not new. We've seen some of them together since 2016, and the others together in Teen Titans Academy. That's not thanks to Taylor at all. It would be new if we saw more obscure or newer Titans in the book, or even Dick's students, but we didn't see that. Basically, we've gotten nothing new so there isn't much of a wider connection. It's just the same Bats, the same Titans, and a Clark cameo, just like always. Mr. Terrific was nice, but that's a pull from Wally's solo and says a lot more about Wally's connections than Dick's. We've seen the JSA in Tomasi's run, that was different. I can instantly recall that because that's something you don't see often but does show Dick's reach. That's the type of stuff I expect for Dark Crisis.

All that said, the one big exception is Jon. Obviously, Taylor is writing Jon's solo and Dick's solo so it's nothing crazy, but it is significant and new and also directly relating to Dark Crisis. We see Dick and Jon on the Dark Crisis #0 cover, showing they'll both be some degree of prominent (trying not to get my hopes up for Dick here), and they're physically next to each other on the Road to Dark Crisis cover so their upcoming team-up is definitely going to have some impact on the event and that's really cool.
    I don't think that's a very fair assessment. He did not establish his relationship with Clark, the Titans or Batfamily. But he has definitely done a good job emphasizing them. With Jon, as you stated he is the one actually establishing this all together.

As a reader, if you were to have only read Tom`s Nightwing his role here would come off as completely natural.

Incredible Member

Agreed!

However, I do not recall an event ever starting with a Dick Grayson scene or with him sp prominent in so much promo art.

We may get lucky and they may actually build on Nightwing`s recent success.

I'll give dc credit, this more of what I was hoping for with Nightwing. Let's just hope they deliver.

I'm only seeing one promo that has only the new kids, the others have Nightwing on it.

I find really funny that Jace is on that Trinity promo as the legacy of Bruce, even tho they didn't even interacted yet.
    Same goes for Yara, but she didn't even call herself Wonder girl or Wonder Woman.
    Jace having no relationship with the Batfamily beyond being a Fox (and not even really getting Bruce's Batman) is kind of hilarious to me .

Mighty Member

The Nightwing effect just noticed Superman: Son of Kal-El #9 is getting some really good pre-orders it is already a #1 Best Seller on Amazon.

#1 in Superhero Graphic Novels
    #2 in Superhero Comics & Graphic Novels