Page 242 of 256 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252 ... LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 3831
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I think I always preferred Alan Grant and Marv Wolfman's Tim, too).
    And basically ANYBODY ELSE for Bruce.

That may be why I'm not nostalgic for the 90s/early 2000s Bat-family dynamics. Dixon did a lot of the work in establishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    today will be a good day
    Attachment 126467
    OMG! Definitely, an All-Time Classic!! Highly Recommended!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Definitely, an All-Time Classic!! Highly Recommended!!!

include there Nightwing #30
    Sem título.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Dixon is a homophobic *******. I refuse to support any of his works ever again. It retrospects, it's kinda funny how DC made Tim bisexual.
    I mean, I don't agree with his politics or personal opinions but he wrote plenty of good Batman comics and stuff that I appreciated (basically cultivating the 90's Batfamily and creating the BoP, and helping define Tim Drake).

So I don't really see it an issue but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    His work was always workmanlike at best for me, even before finding about his politics.

Won't touch anything by him now. Any Bat-characters he had a good handle on were just as good or better under someone else anyway (Dick with Morrison and Seeley, the Birds of Prey with Simone, etc).

That may be why I'm not nostalgic for the 90s/early 2000s Bat-family dynamics. Dixon did a lot of the work in establishing it.
    What people call workmanllike I usually read as "solid." But I guess to some people it probably came off too "normal" compared to Morrison or Seeley.

I recognize Dixon set up a lot of issues people had with 90's Batman but his Bruce was nowhere near the level of 2000's Batman and I would say on a general basis his Batman was more like DCAU Batman than he wasn't outside maybe specific stories.

And Dixon is mainly responsible for a lot of what is the Batfamily dynamics in general.

I think Nightwing #19 and #25 by Dixon are some of the best Nightwing stories ever written. One is just Dick rescuing people from the Earthquake in Gotham and the other is just Dick and Tim having a good time, but thoses two issues are the embodiment of what Nightwing should be in my opinion.

His run is not perfect, most of his villains suck and Tad was awful, but it was good overall.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I adore Dixon's run. It's the foundation for modern Nightwing and even the writers who do other things, do so directly to contrast what Dixon established. He might not have been some kind of genre breaking genius like Moore or Morrison or whoever you wanna think of but he was consistently good/better than the average, he knew where he was going and how to get there, and he usually avoided a lot of the excesses and contrivances other writers rely on. Not groundbreaking work, but solidly entertaining.

The problem I always had, and continue to have, is that Dick shouldn't just be a street level hero. He doesn't benefit from being confined like that. Dixon purposefully ignored everything connected to the Titans (directly and spiritually) as much as he possibly could and kept Dick grounded....but as I understand it, that was editorial's call so I don't blame Dixon for it. At the time the Titans were crashing and the Bat office wanted as much distance between Dick and them as possible. I get where they were coming from, and they probably *did* manage to keep a lot of the "Titans stink" off of him, and at the time it felt new and fresh (to me anyway). But it's left Dick crippled and limited ever since.

It's like only half of Dick's mythos has been established. If Superman had Metropolis but not Krypton or anything else beyond city limits. I don't think what Dixon built is a problem (DC's treatment of it on the other hand?), the problem is what isn't there at all.

I have no idea what Dixon's politics are, and from the sounds of it I don't think I want to. But I always try to separate the artist from the art. I used to be a graphic designer and I never wanted clients to judge my work on their personal opinions of me, I wanted my art judged on its own merits. So I try to do the same for others. If Dixon is some kind of homophobe I'm not down with that at all. But as long as that **** is kept out of his writing he's welcome to whatever idiotic opinion he wants to have. Don't blame anyone for not supporting any of his work tho, we all do what we think is best.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    include there Nightwing #30
    Sem título.jpg
    LOL! Of course!! Glad to know you're a fan of that particular issue, for it truly means a lot...

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, with the exception of stuff that Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle did, I don't have a lot of affection for much '90s Batman Family stuff, either.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Yeah, with the exception of stuff that Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle did, I don't have a lot of affection for much '90s Batman Family stuff, either.
    To me it set the bar for how the Batfamily should work in the comics, at least comparative to now where it feels like it can be all over the place, although back then they didn't have the issue of so many character reboots and an excess of characters like we do now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To me it set the bar for how the Batfamily should work in the comics, at least comparative to now where it feels like it can be all over the place, although back then they didn't have the issue of so many character reboots and an excess of characters like we do now.
    The thing is, I kinda agree with Ascended's critique on how editorial back then approached Nightwing. The moment Dick became Nightwing he became so much bigger than a street level hero. Not that Titans editorial was in such bang up shape back then, but as I think I've said in the past, it always felt as if Dick was held back by being purely a Bat character. Not only did the threats he faced get smaller, but his daddy issues with Bruce returned as well when he had already left them behind some time ago.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The thing is, I kinda agree with Ascended's critique on how editorial back then approached Nightwing. The moment Dick became Nightwing he became so much bigger than a street level hero. Not that Titans editorial was in such bang up shape back then, but as I think I've said in the past, it always felt as if Dick was held back by being purely a Bat character. Not only did the threats he faced get smaller, but his daddy issues with Bruce returned as well when he had already left them behind some time ago.
    There's Titans Dick and there's Batfamily Dick and some eras lean more into one or the other, but I don't view it that much differently than the fact that the stuff Batman deals with in Justice League books is usually bigger or different than the stuff he deals with in his solo books, along with focusing on different relationships.

And Nightwing is an invaluable part of the Batfamily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I have no idea what Dixon's politics are, and from the sounds of it I don't think I want to. But I always try to separate the artist from the art. I used to be a graphic designer and I never wanted clients to judge my work on their personal opinions of me, I wanted my art judged on its own merits. So I try to do the same for others. If Dixon is some kind of homophobe I'm not down with that at all. But as long as that **** is kept out of his writing he's welcome to whatever idiotic opinion he wants to have. Don't blame anyone for not supporting any of his work tho, we all do what we think is best.
    Separating the artist from the art doesn't work when supporting their work means giving money and power to someone who is voting against your basic human rights, but you do you.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I recognize Dixon set up a lot of issues people had with 90's Batman but his Bruce was nowhere near the level of 2000's Batman and I would say on a general basis his Batman was more like DCAU Batman than he wasn't outside maybe specific stories.
    IDK, the clearest memory I have of a Dixon written Bruce is the first chapter of Nightwing: Year One, which so thoroughly disgusted me I put it back on the shelf. DCAU Bruce could be a dick, but he was never that bad.

And Dixon is mainly responsible for a lot of what is the Batfamily dynamics in general.
    maybe that's why I hate most modern Bat-family dynamics.

Eh, I will be honest and say I actively dislike the Batfamily. I like individual members of it (namely Dick, Damian, Barbara as Oracle and Bruce) but I've never been a fan of Batman essentially having an army of superchildren under his command. Not to mention it usually leads to flanderization of the Robins because they need to make them all distinct from each other.

I know it's a losing battle considering how popular Wayne Family Adventures is.

IDK, the clearest memory I have of a Dixon written Bruce is the first chapter of Nightwing: Year One, which so thoroughly disgusted me I put it back on the shelf. DCAU Bruce could be a dick, but he was never that bad.
    From what I remember of how they handled it in the DCAU, Bruce didn't straight up fire him but he was still a massive Dick being part of the reason why Dick left.
    maybe that's why I hate most modern Bat-family dynamics.
    I get the sense that's more from the later 2000's Batfamily stuff (like Murder/Fugitive or post-NML) than stuff Dixon did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Eh, I will be honest and say I actively dislike the Batfamily. I like individual members of it (namely Dick, Damian, Barbara as Oracle and Bruce) but I've never been a fan of Batman essentially having an army of superchildren under his command. Not to mention it usually leads to flanderization of the Robins because they need to make them all distinct from each other.

I know it's a losing battle considering how popular Wayne Family Adventures is.
    I mean, back in the 90's and 2000's there were only like, 2-3 kids (Robin, Batgirl, and Spoiler if you counted her) everybody else was adults (Batman, Azrael, Nightwing, the BoP, Huntress if you counted her, etc.)

But that was before there were four active Robins, Duke, Harper, Babs suited up, etc.