Page 101 of 256 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 3831
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah, it is a problem with supporting cast in general. I don't even know who exactly is Nightwing's supporting cast at this point? Other heroes?
    Nightwing
    Barbra
    Haley
    Melinda
    Blockbuster.

They are the story principals

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post
    I think it'd be more beneficial for Dick to be the love interest of a character who is a headliner but has no definite love interest.
    The problem with that is writers end up vying for control.

For a love interest to work properly, they need to be able to bounce off what the main character is doing and going through. Which becomes a lot harder when that love interest is carrying a different book with a different writer who may have different ideas. They end up playing tug of war with the characters, and that serves nobody.

You can bounce stories around the timeline, say "Oh this happened before that" or "this happened after" or whatever, but you're still throwing a wrench into the plans of writers and trying to make a relationship work that's controlled by two creators, each trying to treat their character as the star of the show.

Clark and Diana had this problem in the New52. It'd happen here as well. There's ways around it; ensure both books have the same writer, use overbearing editorial control, but a love interest who's in-house will work smoother and require less work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think I remember Seeley saying you don't really have the benefit of doing the slow-burn with relationships as much any more, and honestly he's kind of right. I think that's how he justified progressing things as quickly as they did.
    I think I heard the same. And Seeley wasn't wrong, especially on books like Nightwing, creators don't tend to stick around long. I question whether it still applies though, with the new regime in place. Taylor and Action's PKJ have both said they're on for the long haul, it's possible the new folks in charge of DC aren't going to rotate creative teams as quickly as Didio did. But even if writers still move through books quickly, as long as editorial forces them to build on what came before, it'd work. The issue Dick has had since Infinite Crisis is that DC let each new writer start from scratch. If the new editorial doesn't allow that (and they never should have in the first place) then it's not a problem.

I also question just how intent DC is on ignoring anything that isn't Bat-centric with Dick now, we've had the Titans in the book quite a bit, as well as a lot of interaction with Jon and Clark (granted, Taylor's writing Jon's book too, which makes it easier). But that's only relevant if you want Dick dating a superhuman like Kori or Power Girl.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The problem with that is writers end up vying for control.

For a love interest to work properly, they need to be able to bounce off what the main character is doing and going through. Which becomes a lot harder when that love interest is carrying a different book with a different writer who may have different ideas. They end up playing tug of war with the characters, and that serves nobody.

You can bounce stories around the timeline, say "Oh this happened before that" or "this happened after" or whatever, but you're still throwing a wrench into the plans of writers and trying to make a relationship work that's controlled by two creators, each trying to treat their character as the star of the show.

Clark and Diana had this problem in the New52. It'd happen here as well. There's ways around it; ensure both books have the same writer, use overbearing editorial control, but a love interest who's in-house will work smoother and require less work.

I think I heard the same. And Seeley wasn't wrong, especially on books like Nightwing, creators don't tend to stick around long. I question whether it still applies though, with the new regime in place. Taylor and Action's PKJ have both said they're on for the long haul, it's possible the new folks in charge of DC aren't going to rotate creative teams as quickly as Didio did. But even if writers still move through books quickly, as long as editorial forces them to build on what came before, it'd work. The issue Dick has had since Infinite Crisis is that DC let each new writer start from scratch. If the new editorial doesn't allow that (and they never should have in the first place) then it's not a problem.

I also question just how intent DC is on ignoring anything that isn't Bat-centric with Dick now, we've had the Titans in the book quite a bit, as well as a lot of interaction with Jon and Clark (granted, Taylor's writing Jon's book too, which makes it easier). But that's only relevant if you want Dick dating a superhuman like Kori or Power Girl.
    Taylor has confirmed he was here for the long haul and has plans beyond issue 100
    They do seem to be cooperating among not only Batgirls but they appear without issue in any other book in person or mentioned.

Yeah, right now it's working. Even I'm enjoying it, and I usually hate DickBabs. But when writers or plans change, will it still work? Dick (and Babs) shouldn't have love interests that only function when the stars align and everything is aiming at the same target and the creators are skilled enough to pull it off. That's not sustainable or stable.

Let's say hypothetically this Batgirl movie is real successful, and people really dig the chemistry between Babs and her love interest there. Is DC gonna try to capitalize on that by bringing it into the comics? Wouldn't be unheard of. Sure, that's unlikely to happen, in this instance. But what about the next time DC finds a reason to push one character or the other in a different direction? Is the potential for that kind of outside interference something Dick needs?

I'm liking what Taylor is doing with these two, and I'll enjoy the ride however long it lasts. But we've seen in the past what happens when two headliners try to date, and it never seems to stick. We've seen it with these two several times. I'll enjoy the ride while it's good but I don't doubt that, sooner or later, it'll end. And if DC really wants Nightwing to be a big deal, and they're pushing him pretty hard right now, then that sorta stuff has gotta stop; a big deal character should have a stable mythos around them and the love interest is too important a role to screw around with.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-17-2022 at 10:13 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, right now it's working. Even I'm enjoying it, and I usually hate DickBabs. But when writers or plans change, will it still work? Dick (and Babs) shouldn't have love interests that only function when the stars align and everything is aiming at the same target and the creators are skilled enough to pull it off. That's not sustainable or stable.

Let's say hypothetically this Batgirl movie is real successful, and people really dig the chemistry between Babs and her love interest there. Is DC gonna try to capitalize on that by bringing it into the comics? Wouldn't be unheard of. Sure, that's unlikely to happen, in this instance. But what about the next time DC finds a reason to push one character or the other in a different direction? Is the potential for that kind of outside interference something Dick needs?

I'm liking what Taylor is doing with these two, and I'll enjoy the ride however long it lasts. But we've seen in the past what happens when two headliners try to date, and it never seems to stick. We've seen it with these two several times. I'll enjoy the ride while it's good but I don't doubt that, sooner or later, it'll end. And if DC really wants Nightwing to be a big deal, and they're pushing him pretty hard right now, then that sorta stuff has gotta stop; a big deal character should have a stable mythos around them and the love interest is too important a role to screw around with.
    Strong possibility but with the Bats, they have so much content that there’s never just one big product with them that defines them to the general audience the way there is with everyone else. We have Gotham Knights coming up for example and I expect Dick and Babs to be a couple in that, he’s with Babs in YJ, there’s other stuff out there that prevents one take from directing the Bats. Hell he’s with Kori on the Titans HBO Max show and they didn’t put those two together.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Strong possibility but with the Bats, they have so much content that there’s never just one big product with them that defines them to the general audience the way there is with everyone else. We have Gotham Knights coming up for example and I expect Dick and Babs to be a couple in that, he’s with Babs in YJ, there’s other stuff out there that prevents one take from directing the Bats. Hell he’s with Kori on the Titans HBO Max show and they didn’t put those two together.
    I wouldn't be surprised if GK teases the @#$% out of them. Unless they go for platonic besties.

Today’s issue of Nightwing was fine. Great art as always and we’re back to the Blockbuster/Heartless plot thread. Hopefully Taylor can deliver some pay off for this soon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Well hopefully the batgirl movie will make babs/Jason go mainstream like diana/Steve with the wonder woman movie. Than Dick can be more free!!

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Well hopefully the batgirl movie will make babs/Jason go mainstream like diana/Steve with the wonder woman movie. Than Dick can be more free!!
    I can totally see Batgirl killing Babs' relationship prospects for anyone outside the life.

Granted I'm not sure if they have any plans to use Dick either.

Extraordinary Member

Dick Grayson is already free. And the films just ended diana and Steve for good

Urgh, I'd rather Jason not get his big brother's handover, thank you very much. Bring Artemis and him together instead !

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Urgh, I'd rather Jason not get his big brother's handover, thank you very much. Bring Artemis and him together instead !
    I think they meant Jason Bard.

BANNED

Nightwing & Historia Get Most Eisner Award Nominations For 2022

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/nigh...ions-for-2022/

Five nominations went to Nightwing, up for Best Continuing Series, Best Single Issue, Best Lettering (West Abbott), and both Best Penciller/Inker and Cover Artist for Bruno Redondo.
    That's cool. Congrats to them.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Just read Robin & Batman by Lemire. I really liked it. Different take on Dicks first few adventures. Very good in my opinion.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime