Page 52 of 256 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

I mean I can't say I'm surprised, but it's still disappointing to see
    spoilers:
    It looks like the Titans aren't even allowed to exist on a page if they're not death fodder.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Today's issue was just as beautiful and fun as ever, but there was one thing that had me rolling my eyes:
    spoilers:
    I'm annoyed that Risk was chosen to be murdered. Killing off a Teen Titan comes off like a bad joke now. They're like the red shirts of DC.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I mean I can't say I'm surprised, but it's still disappointing to see
    spoilers:
    It looks like the Titans aren't even allowed to exist on a page if they're not death fodder.
    end of spoilers
    Agreed. Took me right out of the story. It especially sucks because the character in question has not been treated well in the past and almost had a cool re-introduction in this issue. Also, the person to do the thing is a nobody by our standards so it does nothing but remove a potentially interesting character off the board.

Otherwise it was a pretty cool issue. I like that we get at least something resembling Dick taking a larger role in the DCU now in this book.

Sucks that this one is mostly just setup for the next one, but technically that's always true of first time team-ups between heroes. Instead of the heroes fighting each other we get a flashback to kid Jon so that's a plus.

I hope Williamson treats all Titans better in Dark Crisis than Taylor does lol.
    Last edited by Grayson - The Dark Heir; 02-15-2022 at 03:36 PM.

Eeh, that’s the kind of character that should be fodder. It also serves to make Dick more personally invested.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    He killed an E-list Titan, before today nobody were claiming for Risk to come back.
    Last issue the Titans were treated pretty well.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

Just a month ago everyone was prasing Taylor for his titans inclusion and hoped he would take over their book

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Just a month ago everyone was prasing Taylor for his titans inclusion and hoped he would take over their book
    Because he seemed like he was more interested in fanservice that treated everyone well instead of the same old content we've gotten for decades. Guess it was my bad for giving Taylor any credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    He killed an E-list Titan, before today nobody were claiming for Risk to come back.
    Some Titans were treated well for a fanservice issue. Dick was totally incompetent, but I was cool with that if a number of other characters who also deserve respect got some of that at his expense.

Either way, Risk dying after finally coming back did nothing for the story but distract from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Eeh, that’s the kind of character that should be fodder. It also serves to make Dick more personally invested.
    He didn't seem any more invested than he usually is. Besides, it's a murder occurring in a city he's currently in. For a person like Dick, he should be invested regardless. I'd expect a lot more if a Titan died in his vicinity.

Ignoring that aspect too, I'm a Nightwing fan. I'm very much not a fan of characters used as fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    You are calling him fodder while claiming it will make Dick more personally invested. These two things contradict each other. Also, there was no reason to kill a Titans character, Dick would have been invested no matter what, it's a murder case after all. Besides, I have never been a big fan of writers bringing back old characters just to use them as fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I still think he would be a good choice to establish the Titans' brand because nostalgia and some fanservice would definitely sell well, however I don't think we can expect anything new from him, so in the long-run he might not be the best choice.
    Last edited by ayanestar; 02-15-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

It's a shame, really - you could hardly move on this forum for people saying how happy they were that Risk was still alive last week.

(It's comics. If anyone wanted to use him for anything, him having died would actually help.)

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    It's a shame, really - you could hardly move on this forum for people saying how happy they were that Risk was still alive last week.

(It's comics. If anyone wanted to use him for anything, him having died would actually help.)
    All of the sudden everybody loves Risk.

Can wait for his appreciation thread.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Also let’s face it this isn’t exactly the worse treatment that Risk has gotten. I remember both encounters with Superboy Prime and that time he got addicted to painkillers, became evil and worked with Slade, and grew that horrible mustache.
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-15-2022 at 04:49 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

All of the sudden everybody loves Risk.

Can wait for his appreciation thread.
    Nobody here is saying they love Risk. I simply don't approve of characters being used as fodder. I would have had the same reaction towards for any A-, B-, C-, D-, E- or F-list hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post

More like you can't go a page in this thread without the Tom Taylor defense force showing up lmao. Notice how none of you had anything to say about Risk dying until now because it didn't matter to the issue whatsoever, so you tell me how that helps the story. All we've gotten is people who can't deal with the idea that anyone would criticize Taylor's choice to kill Risk off.

Like, just maybe, the people that say they don't like the idea of using characters as fodder are going to stand by that whether it's an A-list or Z-list character? Maybe because the problem is that it's just a lazy writing choice and doesn't do anything to progress any characters in an organic way?

Just really weird reactions from some of you guys. Like I get it, you guys love the run. I liked this issue too. You should be able to deal with other people pointing out things they didn't like. Then again, I'm no mod, I can't tell you guys how or how not to react to something lol.

Incredible Member

More like you can't go a page in this thread without the Tom Taylor defense force showing up lmao. Notice how none of you had anything to say about Risk dying until now because it didn't matter to the issue whatsoever, so you tell me how that helps the story. All we've gotten is people who can't deal with the idea that anyone would criticize Taylor's choice to kill Risk off.

Like, just maybe, the people that say they don't like the idea of using characters as fodder are going to stand by that whether it's an A-list or Z-list character? Maybe because the problem is that it's just a lazy writing choice and doesn't do anything to progress any characters in an organic way?

Just really weird reactions from some of you guys. Like I get it, you guys love the run. I liked this issue too. You should be able to deal with other people pointing out things they didn't like. Then again, I'm no mod, I can't tell you guys how or how not to react to something lol.
    Yeah but this critique in particular is a great example of people just doing their absolute best to find something to complain about.

In a murder mystery story, fodder is necessary. Someone has to be killed. Taylor used a character literally nobody cared about. A nobody. And now we`ve got people saying " hopefully Williamson treats the Titans better Taylor does" even though just last issue he delivered a great portrayal of the Titans.

Totally cool to critique a book. But some people are just coming off as obvious haters.
    Last edited by Iclifton; 02-15-2022 at 05:33 PM.

Incredible Member

Okay but if your writing a story about Nightwing and Superman trying to figure out who is killing super powered people, you kind have to kill a super powered person.

Fodder is kind of essential to super hero stories.

I reacted to you saying that Taylor doesn't treat the Titans well cause he killed a z-list character from the Titans history. You were not the first to complain about it and i didn't respond to them cause i don't care if they like or not, it's their opinion.

But to me it's was funny that a character like Risk dying would have such a reaction, but it's ok.