Page 135 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 3831
    Spectacular Member

For those that are enjoying it, I'm curious. What is it that you see Dick having done in the series? What is the "deep" that you see that you didn't see before?

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Dick became a cop because he wanted to do more for the city.
    Attachment 122321
    I know, right?! Still LOVE the first meeting between Dick & Amy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I always felt like Dixon only ever really gave us surface level stuff.
    Don't know to me Taylors run feels mostly like very surface level fan service.

Dixon did a lot to build up Dicks relation with Tim and Barbara, and to build up a Rogues gallery and supporting cast for Dick, Taylor has is my leaning pretty heavily on what Dixon has build.

I just feel like Taylor is taking a completely different and interesting angle on it.
    For one Bruce had a foundation that did pretty much the same since the late 60s and it initially also named after Alfred and founded because of his death.
    The only differnce is that had still decently places crime fighting stories after that.

Sofar I have the impression that Dick becoming a cop under Dixon, had far mores story potential than Taylors foundation.
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-29-2022 at 09:42 PM.

Attachment 122321
    Technically it was to route out the police corruption from the inside.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOPS View Post
    For those that are enjoying it, I'm curious. What is it that you see Dick having done in the series? What is the "deep" that you see that you didn't see before?
    He’s fighting corruption with both identities Nightwing operating at night like usual but now dick Grayson get fight against the system in the light. It’s a step further then Dixon went, even Bruce doesn’t do this enough. He’s putting his all into saving Bludhaven. I got once feel like he might do it.

Dixon had Dick do more of the actual footwork as he was on his own more. It also focused more on the police corruption side as the center piece. Taylor is mostly doing large sweeping generalizations of everything. Police corruption, political corruption, homelessness, starving kids, the billionaire problem, and so on without diving deep into any one aspect. So it does feel a bit more shallow. Still, like a Gotham you can't really "save" Bludhaven because to function as a city where heroes operate you have to have bad things go on there. It's why we are on our 3rd or 4th run of Blockbuster in Bludhaven doing bad things.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    He’s fighting corruption with both identities Nightwing operating at night like usual but now dick Grayson get fight against the system in the light. It’s a step further then Dixon went, even Bruce doesn’t do this enough. He’s putting his all into saving Bludhaven. I got once feel like he might do it.
    What do you see that he has done to fight corruption?

Extraordinary Member

What do you see that he has done to fight corruption?
    Thing is he isn't really fighting he has donated money and is now opening Youth Center's and similar stuff, and that for some reason lead to all the bad guy targeting him (or the center's he has opened), but overall he isn't really actually investigating much.

Back in Dixon's Run Dick actually started by investigating all the different criminal organisations in Blüdhaven, which than finally lead him to the discovery that Blockbuster was the Boss, than he started to work under cover in a cop bar, and I'm not sure any more at what point he actually joined the Police to fight the corruption from the inside, but iirc that wasn't until several story arcs in.

ItÂ’s a step further then Dixon went, even Bruce doesnÂ’t do this enough.
    I disagree, there some stories where you see that Bruce did quite a lot, it was just never really the main focus for an extended period of time, since it really doesn't make for particularly good stories.
    And usually when they did stories that involved Bruce Charity work, it usually involved Bruce helping actually named characters and not an anonyms mass, since that works better as a story.

If we go back to comparing Taylor and Dixon, in Dixon's run Dicked helped only one kid (Mutt) to find a home, and imo that made for a better story than Dick providing affordable housing for thousands (or how many it where) in Taylor's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Thing is he isn't really fighting he has donated money and is now opening Youth Center's and similar stuff, and that for some reason lead to all the bad guy targeting him (or the center's he has opened), but overall he isn't really actually investigating much.

Back in Dixon's Run Dick actually started by investigating all the different criminal organisations in Blüdhaven, which than finally lead him to the discovery that Blockbuster was the Boss, than he started to work under cover in a cop bar, and I'm not sure any more at what point he actually joined the Police to fight the corruption from the inside, but iirc that wasn't until several story arcs in.

I disagree, there some stories where you see that Bruce did quite a lot, it was just never really the main focus for an extended period of time, since it really doesn't make for particularly good stories.
    And usually when they did stories that involved Bruce Charity work, it usually involved Bruce helping actually named characters and not an anonyms mass, since that works better as a story.

If we go back to comparing Taylor and Dixon, in Dixon's run Dicked helped only one kid (Mutt) to find a home, and imo that made for a better story than Dick providing affordable housing for thousands (or how many it where) in Taylor's run.
    Dick, with Superman's support, stopped Blockbuster from taking away several families' homes.
    Jurgens' Nightwing 77 also did something similar, but this one was with Bruce's help.
    Last edited by Felipe Silveira; 06-30-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

Attachment 122321
    I always found this to be a really implausible approach Dixon tried to take here. As the ward of a multi-billionaire, he was a public figure. The fact that it didn't raise a few eyebrows was some pretty shoddy writing (that and the fact that it really didn't go anywhere).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Don't know to me Taylors run feels mostly like very surface level fan service.

Dixon did a lot to build up Dicks relation with Tim and Barbara, and to build up a Rogues gallery and supporting cast for Dick, Taylor has is my leaning pretty heavily on what Dixon has build.
    I agree with that part, sure. I just think Taylor's doing it better. I never really go the unending love Dixon tried to build up between Babs and Dick. It always seemed really forced to me. And I know this was the way he was being written at the time, but whenever Bats would come down for a visit, it always just felt more like a supervisor coming down to check in on his employee.

For one Bruce had a foundation that did pretty much the same since the late 60s and it initially also named after Alfred and founded because of his death.
    The only differnce is that had still decently places crime fighting stories after that.
    Not really. With Bruce, it's always just been just been background. We were always just told that he did it. We almost never saw the nitty gritty of him actually doing it.

Sofar I have the impression that Dick becoming a cop under Dixon, had far mores story potential than Taylors foundation.
    Yeah, too bad it never really went anywhere.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
    People always act as if what was before is better irrespective of the actual quality. I can't comment on how good this run is compared to the past, I haven't read any of them. However I dig the supporting cast being involved. Like, part of what makes Dick important to the DCU as a whole is that every hero respects him, and this run is doing a great job of showing us why. It's not just because he's a good hero, but he's a fundamentally good person. I also enjoy how it's highlighting the top-down corruption of Bludhaven and how it actually affects people - with the police being jackbooted thugs that want to maintain their power and how that ends up destroying any 'good cops' in the department.
    Yeah, agreed with every word.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
    People always act as if what was before is better irrespective of the actual quality. I can't comment on how good this run is compared to the past, I haven't read any of them. However I dig the supporting cast being involved. Like, part of what makes Dick important to the DCU as a whole is that every hero respects him, and this run is doing a great job of showing us why. It's not just because he's a good hero, but he's a fundamentally good person. I also enjoy how it's highlighting the top-down corruption of Bludhaven and how it actually affects people - with the police being jackbooted thugs that want to maintain their power and how that ends up destroying any 'good cops' in the department.
    Having a good supporting cast is all well and good but sometimes I think you can have a too active supporting cast that makes it seem like the protagonist needs them to get anything done rather than himself. And I get it, Dick's a fundamentally good guy, but I feel like Taylor is maybe leaning too hard into that characterization and making him a little too...soft, I guess?
    Really? I feel like Taylor is giving more depth to the character than Dixon ever did. I always felt like Dixon only ever really gave us surface level stuff.
    I don't think Taylor would be writing the Dick and Babs he's writing now if not for the way Dixon characterized them, and there was more to Blockbuster too. Dicks' modern voice and personality owes a lot to Dixon, as does Babs.
    As far as his mission is concerned, it really didn't feel any different than any other rooftop crimefighter's goals. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just feel like Taylor is taking a completely different and interesting angle on it.
    With Dick he saw a specific source for it in Blockbuster and actively catered his career towards fixing it, as he is now, so in that respect I think it's the same.
    I agree with that part, sure. I just think Taylor's doing it better. I never really go the unending love Dixon tried to build up between Babs and Dick. It always seemed really forced to me. And I know this was the way he was being written at the time, but whenever Bats would come down for a visit, it always just felt more like a supervisor coming down to check in on his employee.
    Taylor wouldn't be able to pair Dick and Babs together without all the buildup and romantic tension Dixon created for the two across multiple books and that other writers continued with. Their entire viability as a couple mostly comes from Dixon.

(Batman as the supervisor or commander is a common characterization point for Bruce back then).
    Not really. With Bruce, it's always just been just been background. We were always just told that he did it. We almost never saw the nitty gritty of him actually doing it.
    Depending on the run but I don't think Taylor is really going to get into the nitty gritty of it either.

Spectacular Member

Yeah, too bad it never really went anywhere.
    Oh, wow. I think we've read different stories. I've read about Bruce being personally involved in trying to support politicians fighting corruption, personally supporting police efforts to combat crime-as well as funding those efforts, personally fostering and even adopting children, personally supporting quality placements for children in care (which is a HUGE factor in fighting homelessness and future criminality based on stats for folks incarcerated after foster care), personally funded victim centers-and relationships with victims, personally funded and be involved with mental health care-including those criminally insane.

Really one of my favorite stories, I can't remember if it was in Batman or Detective Comics, was about a group home/orphanage that faked its numbers to hide child abuse. Bruce took responsibility and taught Damian that just giving money wasn't enough. He needed to be personally involved.

Batman isn't my favorite character, Nightwing is; yet this is an area I admire the character of Bruce more than Dick in this run. Though in previous runs Dick did the same. He helped a woman who needed a job by getting her a job. He helped people in need by owning an apartment building, where he could be personally supportive, with low rent and a flexible payment schedule. Not even the superintendent knew Dick owned the building. He worked as a counselor, with people struggling against mental health issues and reintegration to society. He got jobs for ex-cons. And none of these things as done for public consumption or even the praise of friends.

I may be the only one, but I don't think Dick is a good person in this run. Were I not already a Nightwing fan, I wouldn't be one from this run.
    Last edited by OOPS; 06-30-2022 at 01:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

We actually saw him do it (together with Lucius) during the Penthouse Era, and even in newer comics you get occasionally stories where he get personally involved. OK, Maybe not ion recent years, where the main Batman books go basically from one event to the next.

Of course the stories still resolved mostly around crime fighting, because the business stuff is not exactly that exciting...

And they never laid completely out what the Wayne Foundation does, if you would go over all the comics where the Wayne Foundation appeared in, you will basically see that they are running the same kind of Programms than Dick's foundation.
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-30-2022 at 02:03 PM.