Page 164 of 256 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 3831

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Loved the World's Finest issue. The new DC trinity really ought to be Superman, Batman and Robin!
    Yeah, I just read it as well. He finally got to do some real investigating. It's nice to see some writers haven't forgotten Dick is a detective as well lmao.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Redondo is fantastic, but the script is the weak point. Dick is very dumb in his own comic book. At least we have Waid.
    I'm going to be controversial and admit I don't love Redondo's art, especially as colored. I noticed that in the art show version, his work was colored darker....and I preferred the darker colors.

I remember an artist saying that to ground line work, there needed to be black---the weight of black in a panel grounded the story to the reader. There aren't a whole lot of panels grounded by black in this run. I think this is purposeful in the run, and not an "error", especially as in the piece exhibited the black line work had been added back.

However, for me, the art reflects the story, especially as colored. Pretty, fluffy, perky.....but lacking depth, nuance and tension. For me, the breaking point in my appreciation of the art (which kept me buying longer than the story) was the panel in the first Titans visit where Dick seemed to be laying on the shoulders of the attackers. The muscle presentation lacked any tension, not flexed in power...just laying as if on a couch. Again, I think this is a purposeful technique to match the story...which matches the interview...it just doesn't work for me. As much as I liked the pretty little novels of the late 1800 South American movement- the of which escapes me at the moment- I like superhero and specifically Dick Grayson stories/art to have that undertone and tension.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    I haven't read it, but it's not hard to be better than Rosenberg.

Another mediocre issue of Nightwing. Redondo is fantastic, but the script is the weak point. Dick is very dumb in his own comic book. At least we have Waid.
    dumb because he surrendered to save two kids?

If not hesitating to to save people makes Nightwing dumb then I’m all aboard, you might want to try a different story genre.

Dick is being mature and using every resource he has to take down criminal operations and he’s considered dumb or weak becuase he’s not doing it solo. A character who’s always revolves around teamwork and working with others.

If anyone misses 22-23 year old angsty I can make it on my own Dick, that phase of his life is available to be read anytime. It’s a good read.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post

If not hesitating to to save people makes Nightwing dumb then I’m all aboard, you might want to try a different story genre.

Dick is being mature and using every resource he has to take down criminal operations and he’s considered dumb or weak becuase he’s not doing it solo. A character who’s always revolves around teamwork and working with others.

If anyone misses 22-23 year old angsty I can make it on my own Dick, that phase of his life is available to be read anytime. It’s a good read.
    The character is written like a fool. This entire run he has done nothing of note. The antagonist haven’t done much and seem mediocre as well. The art is beautiful and is carrying the writing. Bruno Redondo’s back is about to break. Lol There’s a difference between using your resources and being written to seem like you are lacking skills.

No, dumb because he's the one who put the kids in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    The character is written like a fool. This entire run he has done nothing of note. The antagonist haven’t done much and seem mediocre as well. The art is beautiful and is carrying the writing. Bruno Redondo’s back is about to break. Lol There’s a difference between using your resources and being written to seem like you are lacking skills.
    Or relying on those resources so much it takes away from you because Taylor keeps throwing in guest stars.

Dick got @$$. LOL!
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post

Dick got @$$. LOL!
    That face is...something.

I was enjoying the run at the beginning but this arc is starting to weigh on me. Its going in circles. It seems like its ending soon. I just don't find Blockbuster that interesting, he's not pushing Dick in any real capacity. The community center for the kids and wanting to spend the money Alfred left him were great starting points. It just hasn't progressed much outside of what were interesting, inital ideas.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Waid writes a good DickRobin, it was fun seeing him be a detective and solve a case on his own (well mostly on his own). Today’s Nightwing issue was fine, it’s the first one in ages that felt like the pacing was good and tension was present. I don’t really expect much to come out of Blockbuster knowing Dick’s identity but it’s the first time this run even gestured in the direction of actual stakes.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

A fool how? Lacking skill where ? It’s been a while since he’s been this organized.

He has slowly been crippling Blockbusters grip on the city. His friends and family are bodies. It’s been so efficient becuase he been able to strike multiple operations simultaneously with thier help. They are only around when he calls so their not cluttering up the issue.

Dick is succeeding in turning Bludhaven around. He’s winning. He’s fighting against the corruption, helping the people who need it. Progress is being made, I belive it’s within reach for him unlike Gotham which will never get better.

So what is missing for you?

So that DC vs Vampires issue was really bad for Nightwing's backstory, long story short he literally goes into a vampire coven without backup lmao

https://www.dc.com/blog/2022/08/16/t...htwings-future

"I think this book is a really wholesome book. We live in this age where shows like Ted Lasso have asked, “Why don't we tell good stories about nice people doing good things, who zig when you expect them to zag, who don't do the cliched soap opera, who ride things out together?” Babs and Dick, they're so close, and they've known each other for so long. To build on all of that and just have them happy together and a support for each other—it was really important for our book. Bruno and I are both in really long-term relationships, as well"

But yall literally did exactly what every other ba editorial writer has done with Dick and break up his previous relationships for no reason other than to push your ship? If you really wanted to do something out the box and present a positive relationship for Dick, why not continue with Bea since the ground work was already laid? Not only would that be great for interracial representation, but you will get points for continuing a relationship Dick has that rarely is ever done? You want pats on the back for pushing your ship, but like this has been a complaint for the longest time? Its a little hypocritical to say this about Dick Babs after you literally were ok with destroying his previous relationship to do it? idk, food for thought.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post
    So that DC vs Vampires issue was really bad for Nightwing's backstory, long story short he literally goes into a vampire coven without backup lmao

https://www.dc.com/blog/2022/08/16/t...htwings-future

"I think this book is a really wholesome book. We live in this age where shows like Ted Lasso have asked, “Why don't we tell good stories about nice people doing good things, who zig when you expect them to zag, who don't do the cliched soap opera, who ride things out together?” Babs and Dick, they're so close, and they've known each other for so long. To build on all of that and just have them happy together and a support for each other—it was really important for our book. Bruno and I are both in really long-term relationships, as well"

But yall literally did exactly what every other ba editorial writer has done with Dick and break up his previous relationships for no reason other than to push your ship? If you really wanted to do something out the box and present a positive relationship for Dick, why not continue with Bea since the ground work was already laid? Not only would that be great for interracial representation, but you will get points for continuing a relationship Dick has that rarely is ever done? You want pats on the back for pushing your ship, but like this has been a complaint for the longest time? Its a little hypocritical to say this about Dick Babs after you literally were ok with destroying his previous relationship to do it? idk, food for thought.
    I pretty much expect any new characters created during a run to vanish once that team leaves the book and don't begrudge the new writers for not wanting to continue something from before they were on the book. You come on and have your own ideas for the stories you tell and having to be tied down too much to what came before would be a serious drag to me.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-16-2022 at 01:46 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

A fool how? Lacking skill where ? It’s been a while since he’s been this organized.

He has slowly been crippling Blockbusters grip on the city. His friends and family are bodies. It’s been so efficient becuase he been able to strike multiple operations simultaneously with thier help. They are only around when he calls so their not cluttering up the issue.

Dick is succeeding in turning Bludhaven around. He’s winning. He’s fighting against the corruption, helping the people who need it. Progress is being made, I belive it’s within reach for him unlike Gotham which will never get better.

So what is missing for you?
    Well, the initial Titans appearance being organized by Babs kinda sticks out. Dick would have been shot had Wally not moved him, and Dick didn't think to ask Wally for help. It comes across as naivety.

He's also not shown any real analytical skill, like at all that I can think of. I think that's a big part of Dick's character that just isn't being shown.

Also, this run lacks stakes. Sure Blockbuster whacked Dick's mask off this issue, but I highly doubt anything negative will come of it. We know Dick's going to win and do the right thing, there's no tension, no underlying worry that something might go wrong.

I don't like that in a story.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I pretty much expect any new characters created during a run to vanish once that team leaves the book and don't begrudge the new writers for not wanting to continue something from before they were on the book. You come on and have your own ideas for the stories you tell and having to be tied down too much to what came before would be a serious drag to me.
    yeah? It feels like some holier than thou language here when Taylor didnt do anything different from what other writers have done? Like Nightwing should have mythos that writers need to address that are iconic part of his character, like how Batman has his rogues and storylines. But Nightwing every writer comes in and does something different with him. If Taylor wanted to do be different, why not continue with the side characters of the previous run? I mean he didnt even use Amy Rorbach or Svboda from the previous nightwing runs. Bea and rhe run offs would have been perfect for the Haven concept. But he uses none of that. Like we get it your a Dick Babs shipper, i wish he would just be honest about it. again pushing your ship doesnt mean you deserve any credit.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post
    yeah? It feels like some holier than thou language here when Taylor didnt do anything different from what other writers have done? Like Nightwing should have mythos that writers need to address that are iconic part of his character, like how Batman has his rogues and storylines. But Nightwing every writer comes in and does something different with him. If Taylor wanted to do be different, why not continue with the side characters of the previous run? I mean he didnt even use Amy Rorbach or Svboda from the previous nightwing runs. Bea and rhe run offs would have been perfect for the Haven concept. But he uses none of that. Like we get it your a Dick Babs shipper, i wish he would just be honest about it. again pushing your ship doesnt mean you deserve any credit.
    I don't really get the complaint, he wanted to do a book with a wholesome feel and to him that means Dick and Babs together.

And I'll go with my previous point about runs, as much as we like continuity as fans it's largely a fictional construct. Sure the big points remain the same, like the origin and greatest hits like first meeting with the Joker or what not, but everything else? That is all pretty mutable and changes from writer to writer.
    I get it, it can be a bummer when you like a particular writer's new supporting cast but it's just part and parcel with the way the genre works and holding it against the new team doesn't get you anything.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!