Page 247 of 256 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,705 of 3831

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    You know, just an aside - I agree that the current Nightwing run shows more of Bruce's rough edges interpersonally than is the fashion in mainstream continuity these days*, but I wonder if that's more a Redondo than a Taylor thing. I'm sure there was an interview early on where Redondo mentioned that part of what was important to him defining a "Nightwing" title was reducing Batman involvement, and the only present day "Bruce and Dick, teamed up and in costume" moment in the run so far was during Fear State with Robbie Rodriguez filling in on art.

Over on Son Of Kal-El, Taylor's Batman is notably... cutesier. But even then, I suppose, even with Bruce and Dick were both guest-starring in an issue - they guest starred seperately and didn't share any scenes.

*which I don't mind, tbh. One of the interesting thing about the Batman-and-Robin/Bruce-and-Dick relationship is that they have a long history with ups and downs - and I really like things like the flashbacks to getting to know Barbara or visiting Robin!Jason, where other members of the Bat Family start to fill in the gaps with each other that Bruce isn't as good with. Equally, I enjoy the slight awkwardness about money and the role of billionaires - and Clark gently pushing Dick towards the idea that he's being unfair to Bruce, and should reach out. Gives it layers, and different characters different things to do.
    Did it even fall out of fashion?

I thought Batman being a raging hardcase who emotionally traumatizes or physically abuses his protege's or family while also being abrasive, distrusting, and cold to his fellow heroes was still the general rule when it came to writing him .

I wouldn't just assume it's from Redondo if only because it's how Taylor's written Batman in other books.

I hated that line in one of the last issues from Babs where she basically blamed Dicks' inability to let himself be happy on Bruce or his "programming." Like all their emotional problems are because of Bruce.

Taylor had Bruce saying he wouldn't his son die in Fear State and had Bruce saying he is proud a couple times.
    He was also very mad when they thought Dick was kidnaped in Melinda's apartment.

But Bruce should be angrier and less amicable in during Dick first year as Robin since it's kinda understood that Dick help him melow a little during his time in the Dynamic duo.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

For good Bruce and Dick content, just read World's Finest by Mark Waid and Dan Mora .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did it even fall out of fashion?

I thought Batman being a raging hardcase who emotionally traumatizes or physically abuses his protege's or family while also being abrasive, distrusting, and cold to his fellow heroes was still the general rule when it came to writing him .
    Yeah, but only when we're meant to wuv him for it - and his Terribly Complicated Emotions that other people just don't understand.

(Or perhaps I'm letting my Snyder and King issues come up again - I like both guys' work, just..... Not that part of it!)

Seeley normally had Bruce as a pretty cuddly figure in Dick's life, but he was working off a funny timeline.

I wouldn't just assume it's from Redondo if only because it's how Taylor's written Batman in other books.
    I didn't read any Injustice so might be wildly off-beam, but isn't that meant to be one of the more... Bat-God-y depictions? He's quite chummy over in Son Of Kal-El, too.

I hated that line in one of the last issues from Babs where she basically blamed Dicks' inability to let himself be happy on Bruce or his "programming." Like all their emotional problems are because of Bruce.
    See, I quite liked that - again, fashions come and go but for a while now we've been in a pretty constant "Gotham is Bruce's only true love, he can't settle down and in some way him having a girlfriend would mean the Joker wins" cycle, and a "this is Bruce's baggage not yours" moment felt both earned and necessary. We all pick up habits from our fathers, not all of them healthy ones!

Astonishing Member

For good Bruce and Dick content, just read World's Finest by Mark Waid and Dan Mora .
    Oh, I second this of course. Great book, great dynamic.

Actually enjoyed Heartless’ origin story, surprising given I consider Taylor to be a weak villain writer usually.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I didn't read any Injustice so might be wildly off-beam, but isn't that meant to be one of the more... Bat-God-y depictions? He's quite chummy over in Son Of Kal-El, too.
    I saw from previews where he was all "don't trust your boyfriend Jon!" and being all strict about it, but maybe there was more to it.
    See, I quite liked that - again, fashions come and go but for a while now we've been in a pretty constant "Gotham is Bruce's only true love, he can't settle down and in some way him having a girlfriend would mean the Joker wins" cycle, and a "this is Bruce's baggage not yours" moment felt both earned and necessary. We all pick up habits from our fathers, not all of them healthy ones!
    It didn't read right to me if only because I always see Bruce as wanting better for his family and not wanting them to be unhappy, where here it's implied he expects it of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    where is that image from?
    The 1st image comes from...

Identity Crisis #3

As for the 2nd image, it comes from...

DC Universe Legacies #4

Are we up to that many? We've got Tim* and Heartless in the audience and the Owls behind the scenes, who am I forgetting?

*is that still Canon? I can't remember it having been mentioned in decades, but I'm not hugely up to date on Tim Stuff.
    Jason was at the Circus and Duke was inspired by Dick as Robin. I don't mind Future heroes and teens being inspired by Dick Grayson [as Robin or Nightwing] it feels right since in reality and in universe he did lay the ground work for teen heroes to be taken seriously

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Jason was at the Circus and Duke was inspired by Dick as Robin. I don't mind Future heroes and teens being inspired by Dick Grayson [as Robin or Nightwing] it feels right since in reality and in universe he did lay the ground work for teen heroes to be taken seriously
    So what you're saying is that the death of the Graysons is a nexus point for teen heroes and sidekicks like the Wayne Murders .

So what you're saying is that the death of the Graysons is a nexus point for teen heroes and sidekicks like the Wayne Murders .
    It's literaly what happened in real life.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

heroes and villains, it's like the meteor shower that brought Clark in Smallville show

Astonishing Member

dawn dcu.JPG

So, I know we talked about the Dan Mora art before - but what do we all think about the Free Comic Book Day cover?

Honestly, I think I prefer Dick with the Titans here rather than solo - even leaving aside anything specific about the relative quality of Bat-Office Nightwing stories and Titans-vibing Nightwing stories, I like that it makes him look less Gotham-flavoured.

(Also, with no shade intended to Cyborg or Starfire, on first glance? That basically *is* a solo spot for Dick.)

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

DC/Marvel Comics Presents: World's Greatest Team Up #1! I thought I would share this interesting find with you guys, it was done by Ron Lim and I have to say I wish this was a real comic.

Thanos.jpg
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

dawn dcu.JPG

So, I know we talked about the Dan Mora art before - but what do we all think about the Free Comic Book Day cover?

Honestly, I think I prefer Dick with the Titans here rather than solo - even leaving aside anything specific about the relative quality of Bat-Office Nightwing stories and Titans-vibing Nightwing stories, I like that it makes him look less Gotham-flavoured.

(Also, with no shade intended to Cyborg or Starfire, on first glance? That basically *is* a solo spot for Dick.)
    It's meant to be a Titans piece, I think, since the matching image of the "new gen" has younger kids, probably to represent Teen Titans.