Page 51 of 256 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MakeNightwingGreatAgain View Post
    But Batman and Red Hood are fundamentally different. They rarely share any similarities and that’s always been a big reason why lord of people complain about how the characters are used in relation to one another. There is no Under the Red Hood without Jason Todd. You can’t adapt that story without him Becuase it’s entirely unique to that character becuase of how it shaped him and others around him. The games were very much centered around him as much as Batman being the main playable character.

You are not understanding mainstream appeal at all. Harley Quinn is largely associated with Batman content, but she doesn’t need him to be popular! In fact, Harley is popular Becuase of Harley not Becuase of her association with Batman. I will agree that again Jason is tethered to Bruce, he has potential to carve out his own brand not associated with Batman except for the few times he is! The same can be said for Nightwing as well. The only difference is that Jason Todd like Harley Quinn is getting more appeal. Thats it. The more popular a character becomes in the mainstream, the more push they get as a independent brand. Again, that’s why I used the wolverine example.

It pains me that DC/WB continue to give Nightwing the shaft in most content. Even in the game he barely has a role and gets beaten by Penguin and Harley. He became Nightwing in the BTAS universe and then promptly disappeared except for a few cameos. I don’t mean to demean Nightwing, but I’m also not gonna beat around the bush. DC/WB have done nothing to make this character more well known and don’t deserve an ounce of a pat on the back for the disrespectful content they do have him be a part of just to “appease the fans”. I’m just tired of always have to support bad content just to support Nightwing. For once, I want him to have iconic storytelling and appear in iconic content where he is the shining star.

Nightwing has way to much potential for DC/WB to be this incompetent with the character. It makes me believe that they only want to view him as a Batman side kick and that’s it.
    They share a lot of similarities, but have one big point of contention. That’s the entire point. He’s a former Robin, does all those things associated with Batman, but breaks the no killing rule. That’s his entire shtick. That’s not fundamentally different. That’s a twist on something already popular that fans are familiar with. Under the Red Hood needs Batman as much as it needs Jason Todd. Even more so. Because the entire point of the story and it’s appeal is how it relates to Batman. The one Batman game didn’t even call him Red Hood but Arkham Knight, and kept his identity secret for the majority of it. As it’s the story they wanted not the Red Hood brand. To claim the Batman games were centered around Red Hood as much as Batman is just widely inaccurate.

Harley Quinn branched out into other brands like SS. Her appeal and adaptability isn’t dependent on a particular Batman story. We haven’t seen any of that kind of agency with Red Hood. We have with Nightwing though. Red Hood hasn’t ever been pushed as an independent brand and DC has displayed no interest in doing so. His growth in the mainstream hasn’t extended beyond one Batman story.

With Nightwing, he was playable in those games before Arkham Knight even came along. What’s more he at least appeared as Nightwing. Those games even had a lasting impact on the character with how they presented his weapons. Nightwing appeared in everything Red Hood has, in addition to multiple more tv shows and cartoons. Can they do better, sure, but it seems your trying to martyrdom him in comparison to Red Hood. When his mainstream profile is actually probably larger and has displayed more independent potential as he’s less beholden to one particular Batman story.

Incredible Member

I'm going to keep an open mind.
    Just because you have a show, that doesn't mean it will be any good.
    I only hope we are spared the whole anti-Batman ethos. That doesn't feel
    like a good reading of Dick Grayson's character. I mean he is the eldest son,
    even if in reality his position is more ambiguous. Screw that up, not understanding the
    legacy of Batman-Robin/Nightwing, then it can be a steep decline. But a smart take
    on family like we are seeing with Superman and Lois, would add a lot.

Astonishing Member

Idle thoughts... Taylor's said he has big plans for Nightwing #100, right?

Is my maths off, or would that pretty much be at the culmination of Dark Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post

Is my maths off, or would that pretty much be at the culmination of Dark Crisis?
    Oh man, you're right (I think, my math could be off too lmao). Dark Crisis starts in June and goes for 7 months, so it ends in December. Also didn't notice until now that Nightwing #100 will be the January issue, meaning 2023 starts with whatever big happens in #100 which is right after Dark Crisis ends. Interesting...

I think so? but my problem with this is that Dark Crisis is supposed to be self contained and not have much of an affect afterwards. So im like, I don't know how Dick's reaction to Dark Crisis will come up in Nightwing solo because it doesnt seem like it would at all? Especially if no other books are affected. I wanna say Nightwing solo won't mention it (kinda like how it doesn't mention Fear State). But I could be wrong. My only fear here is that Nightwing 100 is either gonna be the stone that breaks the camel's back and sinks Nightwing as a character (like a wedding or something) or its gonna be something totally click baity, OOC or nothing happens at all and Nightwing sinks as a character because people will start to boycott Taylor's run for the same reasons as Tom King. So im hoping neither of those scenarios happens and its just an issue that actually progresses Dick as a character.

Seems the crossover is a murder mystery. Pretty solid so far. Art of course kills it. Just beyond next level. Even just the humor he’s able to infuse with things like their cloths.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Seems the crossover is a murder mystery. Pretty solid so far. Art of course kills it. Just beyond next level. Even just the humor he’s able to infuse with things like their cloths.
    I enjoyed it. Dick teaching his Detective skills to Jon was great. I just think it had less Nightwing than i would like, but next month we will have essencialy two Nightwing books with Son of Kal-El drawed by Bruno and the next issue of this one.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

I think so? but my problem with this is that Dark Crisis is supposed to be self contained and not have much of an affect afterwards. So im like, I don't know how Dick's reaction to Dark Crisis will come up in Nightwing solo because it doesnt seem like it would at all? Especially if no other books are affected. I wanna say Nightwing solo won't mention it (kinda like how it doesn't mention Fear State). But I could be wrong. My only fear here is that Nightwing 100 is either gonna be the stone that breaks the camel's back and sinks Nightwing as a character (like a wedding or something) or its gonna be something totally click baity, OOC or nothing happens at all and Nightwing sinks as a character because people will start to boycott Taylor's run for the same reasons as Tom King. So im hoping neither of those scenarios happens and its just an issue that actually progresses Dick as a character.
    I think Dark Crisis is "self contained" in that it isn't going to do a big reboot and, apparently, doesn't have other titles tieing in - but if during the course of events Dick breaks his arm, goes Vegan or gets declared the King of England, that could all be set-up for where Taylor takes him later.

I know we're running off scant information and guesswork at this point, but some of Taylor's choices so far would make a lot more sense if he was keeping his powder dry until something elsewhere in the DCU hit.

Teen Titans Academy - or Sheridan's run on it - seems to have been extended for the two Bonus Issues after the Earth 3 crossover to finish right before Dark Crisis starts, too.
    Last edited by Claude; 02-15-2022 at 06:56 AM.

Bed hair Babs in a Titans shirt is ironic and a mood.

Incredible Member

Really liked it. Was hoping for a bit more Nightwing but I’m sure we will get equal focus next issue in Superman’s book. Really nice to see Dick in the mentor role and using his detective skills.

Very interesting how Dark Crisis lines up with issue 100.

Astonishing Member

Williamson interview about Dark Crisis - he certainly talks like Dick is going to be a significant character with a significant perspective in it.

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/da...t-big-event/#5

Confirms crossover issues and one-shots, too.

(Taylor gave a very ambiguous answer on Twitter a while ago that could be read as saying that there wont be tie-in issues of Nightwing for this like there were for Fear State - but could also be read as saying that any tie-ins wouldn't be an "interruption" to the run in the way FS was.)

Extraordinary Member

Williamson interview about Dark Crisis - he certainly talks like Dick is going to be a significant character with a significant perspective in it.

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/da...t-big-event/#5

Confirms crossover issues and one-shots, too.

(Taylor gave a very ambiguous answer on Twitter a while ago that could be read as saying that there wont be tie-in issues of Nightwing for this like there were for Fear State - but could also be read as saying that any tie-ins wouldn't be an "interruption" to the run in the way FS was.)
    “ Deathstroke has taken over the Secret Society of Super Villains. And so, he has this huge army and it's not all of the most known characters. I'll say that it's a lot of the... I'll say it, like the B and the C level villains ”

I’m intrested to see if it’s Damian or the Titans who end up subduing him.

That isn’t true, Williamson has said it will affect the status quo and change characters.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That isn’t true, Williamson has said it will affect the status quo and change characters.
    The bigger question is when all the books will catch up.

Today's issue was just as beautiful and fun as ever, but there was one thing that had me rolling my eyes:
    spoilers:
    I'm annoyed that Risk was chosen to be murdered. Killing off a Teen Titan comes off like a bad joke now. They're like the red shirts of DC.
    end of spoilers