Page 6 of 256 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Thanks!

Your list is very clean and informative, looks like something from an encyclopedia.
    Thank you. I did clean it up before posting to improve readability.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I still hope for Dylan O’Brien becomes Nightwing
    But Mena Massoud would also be great option. Ludi Lin should be a contender
    Are you talking about this?

I can't find any source other than a reddit thread.
    Having him be introduced in the Batgirl movie to later have his film is a safe choice, so i think it could be true. But who knows, i have no faith in Warner Bros.
    Also, i'm pretty sure they will cast the one who doesn't look like him at all, so Mena Massoud or Ludi Lin would probably be their choice.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I'd like to see Dick, if nothing else, just not sure how practical that is...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Having him be introduced in the Batgirl movie to later have his film is a safe choice, so i think it could be true. But who knows, i have no faith in Warner Bros.
    Also, i'm pretty sure they will cast the one who doesn't look like him at all, so Mena Massoud or Ludi Lin would probably be their choice.
    My ideal casting would be a drop dead gorgeous and shapely half white half romani black belt or the equivalent but that's like, nonexistent

So I'll settle with Ludi Lin

Ludi Lin is cool and all, but i don't think he can carry a movie by himself. And he is already 34.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Man Ludi Lin would be awesome but I have not really seen him in much. All that matters to me about who plays Dick Grayson is they can exude the charm and likeability of the character.

The fact that a 21-year-old (Bassett) and a 34-year-old (Lin) are included together makes me think that's a fake list. There usually is an age range of 4-5 years that is considered for any role.

My choice would have been Jacob Elordi but I think he's a better fit for Johnny Storm.

Ludi Lin is cool and all, but i don't think he can carry a movie by himself. And he is already 34.
    Eh... nobody can carry a movie just by themselves these days. Even established A-listers like Tom Cruise and Will Smith need a franchise to draw in people.

Also, Lin looks younger than Dylan O'Brien.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    By the way what do folks wanted?
    For Dick's setting?

I favor a global approach, with trips beyond earth (space, time, other realities, etc) not being overly unusual. I like my Nightwing to exist in that rare range of non-powered heroes who do more than just street level stuff. I want him hunting the HIVE across the middle east, stopping Gordanian slavers in orbit over Jupiter, getting lost on Dinosaur Island, and dealing with organized crime in his home city.

But Dick still needs a place to relax after a mission, he still needs a home, and a place to tell those street level, grounded stories because that's part of who he is too.

Tynion is right that getting Bats away from the Gotham trappings rarely works the way fans think it will. But that's because of DC and their halfassed effort, not because these characters can't succeed beyond that one place.

Put Dick in Bludhaven, NYC, Chicago, London, Tamaran, the moon, Asgard, or anywhere else, and the story will still be bad if the writing is bad. Just like it'll be good if the writing is good. Anything else is just personal bias coloring your perception.

Given the lack of consistency and effort Nightwing has seen since Infinite Crisis, and it's not surprising that his setting has failed too. What did anyone expect, that DC could spend years switching creatives every six months, let them ignore everything that came before, start random stupid directions, and somehow Dick's setting would be great? Please.

You think Ric would've been any better in Gotham than it was in Bludhaven? You think things would've gone better if he had been in Gotham instead of Chicago? You're wrong. Those settings have no intrinsic narrative value. They're just places, as good or as bad as the writer makes them. And before anyone says "But Gotham has all the stuff readers care about!" that's not true either. We had Zucco in Chicago, and now his daughter in Bludhaven. We've seen other Bats and Bat villains pop up in damn near every city Dick has called home. The only thing Gotham offers is name recognition, but Chicago, NYC, and even Bludhaven all do that as well. And Gotham carries with it all the expectations of Batman; being there works against Dick at least as much as it works for him.

I don't really care if Dick stays in Bludhaven or moves to a new setting. I'd rather it not be Gotham; Dick does not need that city to be successful but staying there will only reinforce this false notion. But he could still carve out a corner of Gotham to call his own. But it's far less important what the city is called and far more important that creators are allowed to craft it into a proper reflection of Nightwing, build on what came before, and ensure that the setting is clearly his with its own supporting cast and rogues.

I'm overselling my stance here (sorry, snowed in and bored ) but still, it's not the setting, it's how you use it.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-07-2022 at 12:42 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The fact that a 21-year-old (Bassett) and a 34-year-old (Lin) are included together makes me think that's a fake list. There usually is an age range of 4-5 years that is considered for any role.

My choice would have been Jacob Elordi but I think he's a better fit for Johnny Storm.

Eh... nobody can carry a movie just by themselves these days. Even established A-listers like Tom Cruise and Will Smith need a franchise to draw in people.

Also, Lin looks younger than Dylan O'Brien.
    I was talking more about acting skills than marketability.
    Dylan O'Brien at least was the lead of a popular teen movie franchise.

It's just a rumor at this point and looks to be fake.
    But i have to say i don't really care who plays him if they can actually make a good Nightwing movie.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It wasn't my favorite Batgirl costume, but the Murphy suit was a little underrated in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    For Dick's setting?

I favor a global approach, with trips beyond earth (space, time, other realities, etc) not being overly unusual. I like my Nightwing to exist in that rare range of non-powered heroes who do more than just street level stuff. I want him hunting the HIVE across the middle east, stopping Gordanian slavers in orbit over Jupiter, getting lost on Dinosaur Island, and dealing with organized crime in his home city.

But Dick still needs a place to relax after a mission, he still needs a home, and a place to tell those street level, grounded stories because that's part of who he is too.

Tynion is right that getting Bats away from the Gotham trappings rarely works the way fans think it will. But that's because of DC and their halfassed effort, not because these characters can't succeed beyond that one place.

Put Dick in Bludhaven, NYC, Chicago, London, Tamaran, the moon, Asgard, or anywhere else, and the story will still be bad if the writing is bad. Just like it'll be good if the writing is good. Anything else is just personal bias coloring your perception.

Given the lack of consistency and effort Nightwing has seen since Infinite Crisis, and it's not surprising that his setting has failed too. What did anyone expect, that DC could spend years switching creatives every six months, let them ignore everything that came before, start random stupid directions, and somehow Dick's setting would be great? Please.

You think Ric would've been any better in Gotham than it was in Bludhaven? You think things would've gone better if he had been in Gotham instead of Chicago? You're wrong. Those settings have no intrinsic narrative value. They're just places, as good or as bad as the writer makes them. And before anyone says "But Gotham has all the stuff readers care about!" that's not true either. We had Zucco in Chicago, and now his daughter in Bludhaven. We've seen other Bats and Bat villains pop up in damn near every city Dick has called home. The only thing Gotham offers is name recognition, but Chicago, NYC, and even Bludhaven all do that as well. And Gotham carries with it all the expectations of Batman; being there works against Dick at least as much as it works for him.

I don't really care if Dick stays in Bludhaven or moves to a new setting. I'd rather it not be Gotham; Dick does not need that city to be successful but staying there will only reinforce this false notion. But he could still carve out a corner of Gotham to call his own. But it's far less important what the city is called and far more important that creators are allowed to craft it into a proper reflection of Nightwing, build on what came before, and ensure that the setting is clearly his with its own supporting cast and rogues.

I'm overselling my stance here (sorry, snowed in and bored ) but still, it's not the setting, it's how you use it.
    For me it's not about quality stories or good writing. Like everyone says you can have that in any setting, city or global street level or epic adventures they can all be good.

It's more about concept, creativity and redundancy. The concept of nightwing being more of his own thing to WB, DC and the general public. That he brings more of his own things and niche to the table that doesn't already belong to Batman.

The creativity to tell any kind of stories with dick. Just like he had in the silver age or NTT. Nightwing stories the don't have to be limited to what fits Batman style and settings.

A Nightwing that's more unique from all the other bats and Robin's, one that WB, DC the general public and fans can look at and say "this type of stories and adventures are more nightwing than Batman". That's what I'm focusing on.

Dick as hardcore Robin...

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    A Nightwing that's more unique from all the other bats and Robin's, one that WB, DC the general public and fans can look at and say "this type of stories and adventures are more nightwing than Batman". That's what I'm focusing on.
    That's something I want to see too. The brand will never live up to its potential if it's stuck playing only the same notes that Bruce plays. Dick's character and history are much more flexible than that, and his stories should represent that variety as well as build a voice of its own that is as unique as Dick is. Totally agreed.

But if the quality isn't there it won't matter how unique Dick's mythos is. You can get people in the door with any number of hooks, "first son of Batman, all grown up" or "leader of the Titans" or "super hot ninja spy action hero" or whatever. But quality is what will keep them there and make new wingnuts.

We need both; an expansion of the Nightwing brand and the quality to make sure it's not only the right kind of expansion, but good enough to keep people coming back and asking for more.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.