Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Coming off like a civil war in here. Need more positive stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She also repeated what Sana Amanat said about Kamala being planned as a mutant in the comics in the first place. She's only an Inhuman because of the timing of when she debuted. Presumably it's the same for Moon Girl. Wouldn't surprise me if either of them were retconned soon.
    The matter of the fact is, the character we know in comics is associated with Inhumans, and that's history.
    We can argue it's not really an essential connection for Kamala. I wholeheartedly support that.
    But we should not simply pick and choose when "original intent" is valid.
    The same people who argue it's totally fine to make Kamala a mutant also tend to resent stuff like AXIS retcon which technically moved the Maximoff twins back to their "roots" a bit.(They weren't originally Magneto's kids at least.) I think the answer is pretty simple though, it's big franchise(in this case X-franchise) centralism for a lack of better words.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 07-15-2022 at 10:26 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    The matter of the fact is, the character we know in comics is associated with Inhumans, and that's history.
    We can argue it's not really an essential connection for Kamala. I wholeheartedly support that.
    But we should not simply pick and choose when "original intent" is valid.
    The same people who argue it's totally fine to make Kamala a mutant also tend to resent stuff like AXIS retcon which technically moved the Maximoff twins back to their "roots" a bit.(They weren't originally Magneto's kids at least.) I think the answer is pretty simple though, it's big franchise(in this case X-franchise) centralism for a lack of better words.
    Exactly. Like, it's an anecdote that they wanted her one way, but they made her another way and it's history.

As for Moon Girl, if they are going to strip her of her inhuman DNA, I'd prefer she be more science based than just mutant. Moon Girl's origin story centered around her finding out her DNA was inhuman and her trying to figure out how to escape it and was part of her growth as a character. I would have liked to have seen it adapted to a media, but they'll just make her a mutant.

Or they may not make her either, and make her be her own thing. She's just like a double-nerd Gertrude Yorkes. I mean, "Daria" was a great animated series, and she did not have a dinosaur...

Kamala has a rather iconic partnership with Lockjaw in the comics, to the extent that it carried over to the animated show Marvel Rising. If we pretend for a moment that the "mutant retcon" is genuine, do you guys think Marvel would continue using her & Lockjaw together in spite of it? How would you feel about such a decision?

PS. I'm surprised to see this board being one of the few if not only places on the internet where it's even possible to have a serious discussion about the subject. X-Men fans have gotten even more awful than usual. I also greatly recommend the official Inhumans discord channel (https://discord.gg/UeaPNcfw) if anybody needs more of that kind of environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Nerd View Post
    PS. I'm surprised to see this board being one of the few if not only places on the internet where it's even possible to have a serious discussion about the subject. X-Men fans have gotten even more awful than usual. I also greatly recommend the official Inhumans discord channel (https://discord.gg/UeaPNcfw) if anybody needs more of that kind of environment.
    Like where? I honestly haven't seen anyone mention it on the various X-boards ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Nerd View Post
    Kamala has a rather iconic partnership with Lockjaw in the comics, to the extent that it carried over to the animated show Marvel Rising. If we pretend for a moment that the "mutant retcon" is genuine, do you guys think Marvel would continue using her & Lockjaw together in spite of it? How would you feel about such a decision?

They're despicable. I'm a fan of the X-Men, but these people are just odious. And they could give two shts about Ms. Marvel. They never really cared about her since she was with the Avengers and the inhumans. It goes to show how hypocrite they are since it shows that they only care about a character when they are tied with the X-Men, and yes, being a mutant ties you to the X-Men. Just like being an inhuman tied Kamala to the Inhumans and inhumans (both capital and lowercase).

She was an inhuman in the Secret Warriors cartoon with Lockjaw, and the Boltagons never showed up, and Cates used Lockjaw in Guardians of the Galaxy and never bothered to have any inhuman on their team, or even have a cameo. What bothers me is that I didn't realize how petty the writers could be and how influenced they are by social media, and that they've chosen favorites.

And the mutant retcon is genuine and happening in the comics this year, or whenever her next book starts. The next writer is dying to be the one that gives her the "now your a mutant Kamala" storyline, and be responsible for her first crossovers with X-books and characters. Even though we got Death of Inhumans, I could see Marvel do an event to wipe the inhumans from Earth despite them not acknowledging them now.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Like where? I honestly haven't seen anyone mention it on the various X-boards ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Probably made the mistake of going on twitter.

The editor is the only one responsible for the complete mismanagement of the property and the way it was left to crush and burn, one in particular always goes for the low hanging fruit thinking that antagonizing readers and fandoms is a good recipe for increasing sales. Here we are, these are the results.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I don't think Feige hates Inhumans why put Black Bolt in MOM?
    Do you remember what happened to Black Bolt in that?

I think he only made it in because he was on the Illuminati in the comics

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Do you remember what happened to Black Bolt in that?

I think he only made it in because he was on the Illuminati in the comics
    Xavier's neck was twisted and Reed was turned into spaghetti, but the MCU will have mutants and the Fantastic Four.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    Xavier's neck was twisted and Reed was turned into spaghetti, but the MCU will have mutants and the Fantastic Four.
    Thank you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    Exactly. Also, technically, Wanda died, along with the other Illuminati. I don't get why Black Bolt is singled out. There's been articles pushing this narrative and it reached a point that social media users are mimicking it. It's another "Inhumans telephone game."

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    The only thing the show Clandestine have in common with the comic Destines are having long life spans. Nothing else is the same. That probably why they rumor that they are just going to be the Inhumans under a different name held so strong, especially after the blue hand
    Honestly, as bothered as I am by the change to Kamala's origins, what they did to the ClanDestine was a thousand times worse. They were fun characters by Alan Davis that were completely stripped of all personality or joy.

Anyway, as far as the likely change based on the reveal at the end, it's whatever. I don't mind the MCU making changes to set things up or for narrative reasons. I just would prefer the comics not to change to match them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I don't think Feige hates Inhumans why put Black Bolt in MOM?
    FWIW, I don't think Kevin Feige has any antipathy towards the Inhumans. I think he feels they have unnecessary baggage, though.

spoilers:
    I think the mutation thing is because they want to do stuff with the X-Men so the change allows for MCU synergy with a character whose origin doesn't change dramatically between one or the other

BTW, am I too cynical for thinking Sana Amanat is just saying the company line? To my knowledge, she never once claimed that Kamala was intended to be a mutant originally prior to this reveal - even after Disney acquired Fox and mutants were fair game again, which was at least two years ago at this point.
    end of spoilers
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    Probably made the mistake of going on twitter.
    As an overall comic fan, I can say with all honesty that x-Twitter can be very, very toxic.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com