Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Please, labeling Inhumans as toxic is the most unoriginal thing to say nowadays. Plenty others have said it before you, nothing new here.
    also they're not inherently toxic, under a good pen they are amazing - it's the marvel leadership that bungled it and specifically for listening to ike

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    also they're not inherently toxic, under a good pen they are amazing - it's the marvel leadership that bungled it and specifically for listening to ike
    I mean, they just did 3 new inhuman solo books and a bad event. Civil War 2 was bad too, but people wrote it off as Marvels doing, but didn't pin down the IP's as much. People are calling them toxic for existing. Despite the hundreds of mutants, they also wanted two of the three to be mutant, because they ignore Mosaic.

And people act like they were "sticking it" to Fox for not making these 2 characters mutants, while they had enough characters to populate X-Men stories to the point that people complain they don't use their favorites enough. The X-Men have all the liberty in the world to have a character that reads like Ms. Marvel, but they don't because that would be more unnatural. Look at X-23.

Articles and influencers made them toxic because of the fight they were instigating.

As Oberon said, the inhumans have an interesting entry in their stories. They didn't just say "bamb, more inhumans." They actually used the inhumans origin of kingdoms and hiding among humans to bring in the new wave of inhumans. In other words, they used the original premise of the Inhumans to bring in the new inhumans and it was very organic.

People didn't start pushing back until the articles came out that tied any canceled X-Men boardgames, etc. to the inhumans existence. Which makes that article ironic, because the language the article uses is what makes them toxic.

And they also act like Ms. Marvel was fail proof from inception when they didn't read her and considered her the embodiment of Ike. I'm sure many people didn't read her because she was inhuman.
    Last edited by Force de Phenix; 07-20-2022 at 03:26 AM.

I don't think I could ever process the logic of the push. You already have all these articles and evidence coming out about X-men being removed from merch and no new mutant characters being made, the blame is heavily put on the Inhuman. Did someone really think the best way to capitalize on this is to make terrigen kill them and have the Inhumans fight them. Even if people piled into the stores to see if they were really going to kill the X-men they likely wouldn't be supporting the Inhumans afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    I don't think I could ever process the logic of the push. You already have all these articles and evidence coming out about X-men being removed from merch and no new mutant characters being made, the blame is heavily put on the Inhuman. Did someone really think the best way to capitalize on this is to make terrigen kill them and have the Inhumans fight them. Even if people piled into the stores to see if they were really going to kill the X-men they likely wouldn't be supporting the Inhumans afterwards.
    But that wasn't completely true, they made new mutants and some merch was coming out. Off the top of my head I could think of Honeybadger, Tempus, Goldballs, and that whole team of newly created mutants. And the X-Men were in Contest of Champions and had some statues made and Funko Pops, mini-mates, and probably something else.

My problem was the logic of people that all of a sudden tied the X-Men not being included in Avengers merchandise like one t-shirt and a poster to the inhumans getting 5 comics and being side characters in Avengers stories. Like, that's the reason that they were attacked. They were singled out by websites. Marvel was stupid for making Civil War 2 because it put Carol Danvers in a bad light given her movie was about to be released, and making that stupid event that mind you is being rehashed again with a more provocative name. The inhumans weren't even in Capcom vs. Marvel and the X-Men had a whole level in Ultimate Alliance 3. Would people have wanted to see mutants in the Avengers video game that focused on the Avengers team that came from the success for their franchise? Who knows, but most people don't like the X-Men mixing with the Avengers, and if mutants are in the story, the X-Men can't be absent.

Basically, I blame social media/articles for creating the "you have to choose between the two" narrative and Marvel for wanting to cash in on what they obviously saw, and how they repeated it from Avengers vs. X-Men and now Eternals vs. X-Men. The fact that the word "Inhumans" still accompanied by derogatory adjectives is a continuation of what was happening back then to ingrain in everyone's head "don't give them a chance, they're bad and will tell you why." I don't think anyone can honestly say they were given a clean chance given the toxic narrative that sought to drown them.

I don't have a problem with the Inhumans having conflicts with other groups. One of the main fuels of fiction is drama, characters who are at odds with each other, or whose goals clash with the goals of someone else. We may discuss if drama feels natural or forced, but not its presence. If the X-Men were not at odds with the Inhumans because of the cloud, with the Eternals because of the "excess deviation" thing, or with the Avengers because "you were not there to help", then it would be about something else. Comics would be really BORING if everybody was friends with everybody, and the only source of conflict were supervillains that you can just take down and call it a day.

The real problem is when fans take those in-story rivalries and bring them out to the real world. Consider for example the Civil War film: there was a conflict between Iron Man and Captain America, and the fandom divided in "team Iron Man" and "Team Captain America" groups, but only as a game. We never got to the point of Captain America fans celebrating the death of Iron Man in "Endgame", or Iron Man fans calling to boycott the "Falcon & Winter Soldier" series because of the civil war. Just enjoy the story, people.

And yes, there's also that thing of Marvel wanting to erase the X-Men and replace them with the Inhumans because of the film rights. Perhaps that was true, or perhaps that was just a rumor that got out of control. But in either case, it's over, it's ancient history, people should leave it in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    The Roman Reigns effect. Push regardless of if fans like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I don't have a problem with the Inhumans having conflicts with other groups. One of the main fuels of fiction is drama, characters who are at odds with each other, or whose goals clash with the goals of someone else. We may discuss if drama feels natural or forced, but not its presence. If the X-Men were not at odds with the Inhumans because of the cloud, with the Eternals because of the "excess deviation" thing, or with the Avengers because "you were not there to help", then it would be about something else. Comics would be really BORING if everybody was friends with everybody, and the only source of conflict were supervillains that you can just take down and call it a day.

The real problem is when fans take those in-story rivalries and bring them out to the real world. Consider for example the Civil War film: there was a conflict between Iron Man and Captain America, and the fandom divided in "team Iron Man" and "Team Captain America" groups, but only as a game. We never got to the point of Captain America fans celebrating the death of Iron Man in "Endgame", or Iron Man fans calling to boycott the "Falcon & Winter Soldier" series because of the civil war. Just enjoy the story, people.
    Yes.

And yes, there's also that thing of Marvel wanting to erase the X-Men and replace them with the Inhumans because of the film rights. Perhaps that was true, or perhaps that was just a rumor that got out of control. But in either case, it's over, it's ancient history, people should leave it in the past.
    If it weren't for Avengers vs. X-Men and Death to the Mutants going along with an Avengers push and Eternals push, I might believe this. It's more par for the course of hero vs. hero events than something different that was actually happening. Inhumans vs. X-Men was Avengers vs. X-Men round 2, and X-Men vs. Eternals is round 3. Deadpool was a Fox property mutant that Marvel "wasn't benefiting" from and he was literally everywhere in stores. But it goes back to the premise of equating one having the same number of comics (the X-Men) to another having 2 ongoings (the Inhumans) and 3 new characters, both of which were included in all the events of the time, and labeling it as an attack because of a false narrative that later took on a life of its own.

As I said, a rumor that got out of control. Yes, mutants were on the verge of extinction at the time Marvel wanted to make the Inhumans more visible, but weren't they always? Wasn't that basically their standard status? "House of M" started in 2005, and there was no significant Inhuman presence in comics, the MCU was not even a thing yet.

As I said, a rumor that got out of control. Yes, mutants were on the verge of extinction at the time Marvel wanted to make the Inhumans more visible, but weren't they always? Wasn't that basically their standard status? "House of M" started in 2005, and there was no significant Inhuman presence in comics, the MCU was not even a thing yet.
    I mean that is why Xfans were concerned with a decade of extinction events Inhumans to them could have been the end

I agree 100%. The Legacy Virus, E for Extinction, and even Days of Future Past kinda made this their norm. And now, with the new X-Men status quo, they took what made them special, or what was on brand for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I mean that is why Xfans were concerned with a decade of extinction events Inhumans to them could have been the end
    But it wasn't just a decade of it, and even if it were, the end of Avengers vs. X-Men closed reversed the outcome of House of M, so they would've just been dying like they were in most past stories. I'm an X-fan and I remember it being around the time they did a lot of legacy character switches, but even I knew it was temporary and that the story was the same thing that always happened to them. The concern came from websites. I don't think there were ever rumors that they would cancel all their books. House of M was worse and it happened when X-Men 2 and X-Men Evolution came out.

All-New Member

And yes, there's also that thing of Marvel wanting to erase the X-Men and replace them with the Inhumans because of the film rights. Perhaps that was true, or perhaps that was just a rumor that got out of control.
    I think the closest we got to someone from Marvel talking about that situation is this podcast where Charles Soule and artist Ryan Stegman briefly mention it.

At 29:30:

https://stegmanandfriends.podbean.co...charles-soule/

Ryan Stegman: I think that's a series that a lot of people need to go back and check out, because I feel they were turned off by the idea of Marvel trying to make them the X-Men, which... I don't think that that's much of a secret that that's pretty much what they were doing.

Charles Soule: No, at this point... let's just be honest about it. That was what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Blaster View Post
    I think the closest we got to someone from Marvel talking about that situation is this podcast where Charles Soule and artist Ryan Stegman briefly mention it.

At 29:30:

https://stegmanandfriends.podbean.co...charles-soule/

Ryan Stegman: I think that's a series that a lot of people need to go back and check out, because I feel they were turned off by the idea of Marvel trying to make them the X-Men, which... I don't think that that's much of a secret that that's pretty much what they were doing.

Charles Soule: No, at this point... let's just be honest about it. That was what was going on.
    Yeah, "make them the X-Men." Not replace them. They knew that characters like Iso weren't going to replace Wolverine. I guess we can say Ms. Marvel replaced Jubilee. I can't believe Charles Soule was that stupid to write Death of X and IvX, and that bad at writing it. Eternals vs. X-Men is the same story, but they're going about it better. Like the Eternals committed the genocide of an entire planet, going one step further than what Soule was trying to get at. There isn't much backlash because the mutants are immortal and were resurrected immediately, but still. Like, did Soule read the room before he began writing the event? Even though the Eternals are more denigrating to mutants and calling them mistakes of nature that have to be eliminated like cockroaches, they are going to leave from this event uneffected.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Yeah, "make them the X-Men." Not replace them. They knew that characters like Iso weren't going to replace Wolverine. I guess we can say Ms. Marvel replaced Jubilee. I can't believe Charles Soule was that stupid to write Death of X and IvX, and that bad at writing it. Eternals vs. X-Men is the same story, but they're going about it better. Like the Eternals committed the genocide of an entire planet, going one step further than what Soule was trying to get at. There isn't much backlash because the mutants are immortal and were resurrected immediately, but still. Like, did Soule read the room before he began writing the event? Even though the Eternals are more denigrating to mutants and calling them mistakes of nature that have to be eliminated like cockroaches, they are going to leave from this event uneffected.
    Soule wasn't the only one writing them Jeff Lemire Extraordinary X-Men writer is also on those. A big thing is this will be a one and done event but close to a whole year of the M-pox. I could see another IvX like event based around similar ideals of what this one was about.

Mutants get attacked from the future and are dying at such a rate the 5 can't keep up. They decide to bring about the precogs to see where the enemy will attack so they can counter them with the best team choices until they change whatever in the past. They win but do to stuff it is still decided that they are to dangerous to keep around so they are to be put in the pit. Beast gets to tired on everything he has been doing risks everything to keep them safe, but knows he needs help in man power and super powers with the Inhuman Kingdoms being the only ones who could rival Krakoa in this. Thus the Inhumans spend months in a cold war with the Mutants until possible talks with the human nations acting as a third party mediator go wrong and full blown war is launched.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Warning: Read under your own risk: https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-mutant...marvel-comics/

The spoilers:
    "Attilan-sized tumor"
    end of spoilers part was a little too much.
    Lol this article is pure trash. CBR shouldn’t be publishing this garbage.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Soule wasn't the only one writing them Jeff Lemire Extraordinary X-Men writer is also on those. A big thing is this will be a one and done event but close to a whole year of the M-pox. I could see another IvX like event based around similar ideals of what this one was about.

Mutants get attacked from the future and are dying at such a rate the 5 can't keep up. They decide to bring about the precogs to see where the enemy will attack so they can counter them with the best team choices until they change whatever in the past. They win but do to stuff it is still decided that they are to dangerous to keep around so they are to be put in the pit. Beast gets to tired on everything he has been doing risks everything to keep them safe, but knows he needs help in man power and super powers with the Inhuman Kingdoms being the only ones who could rival Krakoa in this. Thus the Inhumans spend months in a cold war with the Mutants until possible talks with the human nations acting as a third party mediator go wrong and full blown war is launched.
    I've said it in the past, but I doubt they'll bring them back in any meaningful way ever again. Soule, and I guess Lemire, but it's mostly on Soule, did such a bad job at keeping his characters from being sucked into a nonsense fight. He just seemed like he had wasted his time and it was all for nothing, which is basically what happened. Like, the guy has nothing to show for all his character development and time because he actually went through with the worse idea for an event in Marvel history. Why would any writer care to write them if the book will be dead on arrival because of articles that would be titled "the failed inhumans etc."