Page 184 of 193 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 2895

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

This is an excerpt from a published academic work about sidekicks.

The writer constantly trying to talk about how unfairly Duke gets treated in favor of Damian, who according to them is the pinnacle of whiteness!?

This is only one example too, they bring it up so many times. She even continually mentions how all the Robins are white but especially Damian and Dick?

I don't know, I think I'm going to write an essay about Spinal surgery [a subject I know nothing about] see if I can get that published since apparently anyone can write anything and get it published as academic or fiction these days.
    A part of me is tickled by this as I imagine all the racists and White nationalists getting pissed off that the pinnacle of Whiteness is an Asian/Middle Eastern with a 1/4 of European ancestry.

just goes to show you how stupid the whole idea of whiteness/racial purity is.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    ¿¿¿????

Sounds someone who never read a comic and only wanted to create one controversial article.

My favorite ROBINS are attacked. Not weird in Damian case but... Is weird when Dick Grayson is like loved by almost everyone.
    Included me... Grayson is the BEST.

Sigh.. This person must hate white people to attack 2 popular characters only because they are white persons.. Perhaps even men. For the Masculinity word here like if it was bad that he is a guy.

About Black people Jace is a Batman... Why create this controversy with the Robins now?
    It wasn't an article. It was an education study of sidekicks. The writer is a Doctor who has an interest in the treatment of women in comics. The Robins she focuses on the most are Carrie and Steph.

They are also the ones she seems to know the most about.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    It wasn't an article. It was an education study of sidekicks. The writer is a Doctor who has an interest in the treatment of women in comics. The Robins she focuses on the most are Carrie and Steph.
    Focussing on Robins (a tradionally male mantle in a franchise that has also several female amtles) when you are interested in the treatment of women in comics seems not a good basis for a study.

Especially if one of these characters appears only in an elseworld series...

They are also the ones she seems to know the most about.
    Education Study?? and about Sidekicks.

If she was that interested in the girls why mention these 2(dick and damian) and not focus in them? and inform better..
    This person apparently does not know about HELENA WAYNE. She should be her father successor in her universe.
    And Cass is a good option to be Bats sucessor too.. She is more Skilled than Batman.

and not less important the Batfamily has Barbara(ORACLE) in their files..

All this "Whiteness" and "Masculinity" nonsense... I feel like if this person was waiting for something completely Different.
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-30-2022 at 06:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Does anybody know where you can find the complete study?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I was able to read the complete study due to my university library card allowing me access to reports and dissertations by psychologists and psychiatrists.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Education Study?? and about Sidekicks.

If she was that interested in the girls why mention these 2(dick and damian) and not focus in them? and inform better..
    This person apparently does not know about HELENA WAYNE. She should be her father successor in her universe.
    And Cass is a good option to be Bats sucessor too.. She is more Skilled than Batman.

and not less important the Batfamily has Barbara(ORACLE) in their files..

All this "Whiteness" and "Masculinity" nonsense... I feel like if this person was waiting for something completely Different.
    It does mention the other Robins too though Dick and Damian get more focus. The study calls them the most prominent Robins. Batman's successors [a factor the author relates to their whiteness. Dick and Batman are called the idealised versions of white masculinity]

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So, wait, what is the point of her theses here? Because one could argue, based on art, that Damian is a light skinned middle eastern young man. It depends on who is drawing him as some artist do go and give him a lighter complexion. Same with his mother and grandpa. So, if the writer hasn't looked in to comics with a Damian with a darker skin tone then she would assume he's white.

However that then is a failure on her own research. Which she needs to go back over.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    So, wait, what is the point of her theses here? Because one could argue, based on art, that Damian is a light skinned middle eastern young man. It depends on who is drawing him as some artist do go and give him a lighter complexion. Same with his mother and grandpa. So, if the writer hasn't looked in to comics with a Damian with a darker skin tone then she would assume he's white.

However that then is a failure on her own research. Which she needs to go back over.
    It's a study of American adolescence through sidekicks.

Tracing age based social construct of adolecence by looking at Robin.
    Identifying how superhero sidekicks are used to reinforce idealised maturity as masculinity, white and heterosexual.

It charts in depth Dick Grayson's [the originator of the teen side kick] evolution from Robin [feminine, Queer and youthful] through Nightwing [aggressively heterosexual, mature, white and male] to DickBats and Seeley's Nightwing [heterosexual, maturity, Patriarch, father figure] The ideal symbol of white masculinity.

Also touches on other Robins though Dick gets the most detailed study.

Damian mostly comes up in relation to Dick's maturity and Dukes being disenfranchised.

It's been a while since I read this dissertation.

Extraordinary Member

Damian mostly comes up in relation to Dick's maturity and Dukes being disenfranchised.
    Was Duke ever "enfranchised".

I mean Duke case is more similar to Lonny Marchin, in that any plans of him becoming the "main Robin" where basically already off the table by the time the first issue with him was published. If Duke had been a "straight white male" character he would have likely ended up in limbo years ago.

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/apexprod/rw...osition=inline

Was Duke ever "enfranchised".

I mean Duke case is more similar to Lonny Marchin, in that any plans of him becoming the "main Robin" where basically already off the table by the time the first issue with him was published. If Duke had been a "straight white male" character he would have likely ended up in limbo years ago.
    There's a lot of issues with the article.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

This is an excerpt from a published academic work about sidekicks.

The writer constantly trying to talk about how unfairly Duke gets treated in favor of Damian, who according to them is the pinnacle of whiteness!?

This is only one example too, they bring it up so many times. She even continually mentions how all the Robins are white but especially Damian and Dick?

I don't know, I think I'm going to write an essay about Spinal surgery [a subject I know nothing about] see if I can get that published since apparently anyone can write anything and get it published as academic or fiction these days.
    Eh. Dick, Jason and Tim are white cuz they're supposed to be Batman's son. Just look at how Tim is written in the Golden Age stories.

Duke gets **** cuz he debuted when Damian came back from the dead and readers actually liked him for once.

Not even Bluebird caught on.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Eh. Dick, Jason and Tim are white cuz they're supposed to be Batman's son.
    Jason looks iirc like he does, because they wanted to keep selling the same Robin merchandise...

I think in the end I think with iconic mantels like Robin, there is always a certain need to keep the look consistent even between different versions, and that can include hair and skin color and of course also gender.

Steph and Carrie are also not really great charcaters for a study like that simply they don't became robin under the same conditions as the boys. Carrie was created for one alernate universe and has only appeared in a hand full stories who were all written by one writer and Steph really became only Robin as lead up to Wargames.
    Last edited by Aahz; 12-01-2022 at 07:10 AM.

The study dies nake some really good points about Duke and the female Robins. They are treated differently.

The contrast between Duke and the other males Robins treatment in Universe [see WAR and Robin War for the way the police and others treat the WAR kids] I never noticed but those did a great job in conveying the racism directed at black youths contrasting with the white privilege the white and white passing Robins enjoy.

Duke's real world handling as the study points out was very different from the handling of the others. We know that WB was behind it and we know the reasons weren't to do with race but the optics still don't look right.