Page 186 of 193 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 2895
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Not sure what you mean by Duke Propaganda. Writers are allowed to create their own characters. If you are talking about the Robin doesn't need Batman and Better than Robin quote. That was an in story reason to explain why Duke didn't become Robin.

Duke was Batman's sidekick and Bat sidekicks are normally Robins.
    Was Duke his sidekick ? If he counts then I’m counting Harley too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Was Duke his sidekick ?
    For pretty short time in Snyders All Star Batman.

Extraordinary Member

Morrison additionally felt like Damian messed up continuity [according to Morrison]
    That's not only according to Morrison.
    In the original Ras and Thalia didn't show up untill the Bronze Age, meaning when Dick as in collage. That simply doesn't work with Damian's age.

Not sure what you mean by Duke Propaganda. Writers are allowed to create their own characters. If you are talking about the Robin doesn't need Batman and Better than Robin quote. That was an in story reason to explain why Duke didn't become Robin.

Duke was Batman's sidekick and Bat sidekicks are normally Robins.

BETTER THAN ROBIN and BATMAN DOES NOT NEED A ROBIN..

All was said while they were introducing Duke.
    Like promoting the character and saying that he was better idea than the Robin one.. even if the ROBIN concept existed for decades when he appeared.
    Last edited by adrikito; 12-04-2022 at 04:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Damian Wayne The Ally

Damian's words here are sad since his own father doesn't exactly like Damian being himself. Damian has felt the heavy burden of expectations that he's struggled and failed to live up to.

Talia had his life and future mapped out even before he was born.
    His grandfather Ra's had his own expectations for who Damian would become and what his purpose was.

Bruce loves Damian as a son but he also admitted he doesn't like him. Damian often falls short of Both his parents expectations and Bruce certainly disapproves of Damian being hinself [Talia did for a while too]

Damian knows what it's like to not be allowed to be yourself. Knows what it's like not being accepted for who he is so I'm glad they didn't make him intolerant.
    I couldn't understand when some fans were suggesting that it'd be great to have a member of the batfam [Damian in particular] be homophobic towards Tim.

Citing that the conflict would make for interesting plotlines which is just a load of crap.

Glad no writers picked up that type of thinking. Damian wouldn't care one bit.

It does mention the other Robins too though Dick and Damian get more focus. The study calls them the most prominent Robins. Batman's successors [a factor the author relates to their whiteness. Dick and Batman are called the idealised versions of white masculinity]
    Do they realise that Damian is NOT 100% Caucasian? He's half Arab.

Yeah, according to Snyder everything was set for Duke to be introduced as the new partner for Batman but then WB sent an email overruling the decision. They demanded that Morrison leave a way for Damian to return.

DC and Morrison always had the agreement that he was going to kill off Damian at the end of his run. They thought that no way would DC allow Batman to have an in continuity bio kid. It was a big change [similar to the Bat marriage rule. It was considered something that was only for elseworld stories]

Morrison additionally felt like Damian messed up continuity [according to Morrison]

Morrison later revealed that Scott Snyder likes a solo Batman not being a fan of Robin. He considered the concept irresponsible. Something Batman would never do. Tomasi also confirmed at a con that Snyder wasn't a fan of child sidekicks.

so they brought damian back but put him under the superman editorial office so Snyder had the freedom to create the type of stories he wanted to tell without having to feel the need to find use for the character in his run.
    Damian DOES mess up continuity. Though the problem is actually after Morrison finished with him, as it has to do with his Rebirth age up - Young Justice should've aged up four years too, but they haven't. Jon Kent causes the same problem though, considering that Conner supposedly debuted before he was born.

Damian under Superman editorial is how we got Super Sons though, so it's not all bad. Is Teen Titans also in the Superman office?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    BETTER THAN ROBIN and BATMAN DOES NOT NEED A ROBIN..

All was said while they were introducing Duke.
    Like promoting the character and saying that he was better idea than the Robin one.. even if the ROBIN concept existed for decades when he appeared.
    I’m suprise Tim fans don’t hate him then

Perhaps because in that time Damian is the one that looked like if he was going to be replaced for someone(older) and Tim fans did not even thought that Tim could really return as Batman Companion.

I am not hating Duke(like many Tim fans with Damian) but... I can not say that I like Duke neither.

TO BE FAIR... I prefer something like ROBIN comic than Damian with Batman.
    Last edited by adrikito; 12-06-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Incredible Member

I don’t hate Duke but I am genuinely surprised he has fans. What is there to like? I’ve never read a story where he has a single definable or unique character trait. All of Snyders new additions were SUPER bland. Am I missing a story or something….

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I don’t hate Duke but I am genuinely surprised he has fans. What is there to like? I’ve never read a story where he has a single definable or unique character trait. All of Snyders new additions were SUPER bland. Am I missing a story or something….
    I feel like Gotham holds him back he’s a Metahuman and I don’t feel like enough people know that

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Why would Tim fans hate Duke?

As a Tim Drake fan, I was personally fine with Tim being Red Robin after Damian came in. In New 52, every Robin had their own title with Tim's being Teen Titans and it was pretty obvious that Damian was coming back since they kept the Batman & book running and no one really felt threatened by Duke's appearances in Synder's Batman.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

I feel like Gotham holds him back he’s a Metahuman and I don’t feel like enough people know that
    I think the bigger problem is the constant changing of direction an creative teams.

To establish a new character (or team) needs some consistency and Duke never really had that.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Perhaps because in that time Damian is the one that looked like if he was going to be replaced for someone(older) and Tim fans did not even thought that Tim could really return as Batman Companion.

I am not hating Duke(like many Tim fans with Damian) but... I can not say that I like Duke neither.

TO BE FAIR... I prefer something like ROBIN comic than Damian with Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

As a Tim Drake fan, I was personally fine with Tim being Red Robin after Damian came in. In New 52, every Robin had their own title with Tim's being Teen Titans and it was pretty obvious that Damian was coming back since they kept the Batman & book running and no one really felt threatened by Duke's appearances in Synder's Batman.
    Tim Drake fans did hate Duke to an innatural degree which was crazy since one would expect Damian fans to be the ones hating on Duke but that wasn't the case.

On this site there are multiple threads started by Tim fans just hating/insulting Duke. Requesting that he be killed off.

Their vitriol against Duke was nearly on par with their vitriol against Damian.

Threads asking why he was relevant etc

The very first Duke appreciation thread here on CBR began as a Duke Mock Appreciation thread started by 2 very well known Tim drake fans.

Another CBR user @Lemonpeace later converted the offensive thread into a genuine Appreciation thread.

These Duke hate threads sprung up alongside What new name should Tim drake adopt threads [started by Tim fans as well but these were sincere in tone]

I think that Duke and Damian fans might have found some comraderies in the bullying experienced from such a large fanbase as the Tim Drake fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think the bigger problem is the constant changing of direction an creative teams.

To establish a new character (or team) needs some consistency and Duke never really had that.
    I blame his creator Scott Snyder for Duke's failure to reach his true potential.

Snyder didn't use him as much as you'd expect a creator to use their own character. He didn't give him the push he needed.

He could have penned Duke's mini.
    He could have used Duke more in his Batman stories.

He could have insisted that Duke be given the prominent role in Rebirth tec as the most recent sidekick.

Tec is DC's 2nd most prominent title. It has DC's 2nd biggest readership so that would have been ideal to get eyes on Duke. Duke was new, a featured role in Tynion Rebirth Tec would have exposed him to more readers allowing him the chance to build up a fan base.

Rebirth Tec was originally to have Jason as the featured lead next to Batman however since Tynion was able to talk the editors into making the story about Gotham Knights nothing stopped Snyder for pitching a story that was Duke focused.

Duke was undermined by his creator and DC. Damian fans complain that Damian's never given the space to be Batman's partner. The same is true for Duke but even worse.

Even his role in King's Batman ended up being insignificant due to King's decision to make the run a romance exploration.

Duke has a lot of potential that hasn't realised yet.
    After Snyder's failure, I hoped Murphy might be the one to give Duke his fair shot via his White Knight Universe but after all his talk about loving Duke and what a big deal a meta POC Robin was. Murphy has failed to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Tim as Red Robin was a good transition.

In hindsight the set up during the Snyder era were far better than what we got as DC tried to fix things.

Damian had a Robin Son of Batman

Tim had TT and Batman Beyond

Duke had the Bat books

All 3 Robin types had a home and their fans had a place to read about them. The only con was that Lobdell was on TT but that could have been changed and the good versions of Kon, Bart and cassie could have been brought back.