Page 121 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2895

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    For me, the New 52 just completely ruined Tim (aside from that kickass costume) and he's yet to really bounce back from it. At least in terms of being the character that I loved before Flashpoint. I can't even put my finger on what specifically happened to him but despite him getting shoved into virtually every hole and every spotlight that he could possibly be shoved into (right down to replacing his replacement as Bruce's Robin) I can't really name too many times where I thought he was...well...as great as he was, Pre-Flashpoint.

It's like a less extreme version of the issues I have with Jon right now. Hyped to hell and back and showing up everywhere...and yet as characters, they both still feel so hollow...Easily the stalest, most milquetoast members of their respective families.

Tim's felt like such a nothing character to me for so long. Which really hurts when he used to be my favorite Robin. This stuff with Bernard has helped a little. But even then it feels less like Tim, himself, has become interesting again and more like the situation that Tim's in is interesting. If that makes sense. I consider Rebirth to be when Post-Flashpoint Tim was at his best. And that's not great considering he was missing (thought to be dead) for a good chunk of that era. But when he was around in Tec, I liked him. He kinda felt like the old Tim to me. I wish they had followed through with where he was at by the end of that period. Going off to college with Steph. Getting out from under Bruce and Gotham. Actually feeling like he was growing up and moving forward as a character for what felt like the first time in forever.
    I feel this might be case with a lot of fans. Yes DC changed Tim but they also restored him. They brought back his old team mates, they had him working next to Bruce and they even leaned into the whole super detective most like Bruce HC that a lot of fandom believes.

All Tim greatest hits but for whatever reason that's no longer hits the sweet spot it used to.
    DC is often unfairly blamed when they done everything [short of bringing his folks back and I don't mean WP Drakes] to restore the character and put in positions to thrive.

Hopefully expanding his sexuality works or at worst is the last ditch effort. Damian can't make progress unimpeded so long as Tim's situation isn't resolved.

It's strange enough that Duke graduated from sidekick before Tim and Damian.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Do you not read comics?
    Dude, I've been reading comics since around the time of the death of superman. So yeah I read comics.

What do yo mean when they bring in the new Robin? Do you mean Tim who is going to be the new Robin?
    No what I mean is that Damain is coming to the point where, not now, but soon enough, he may be spun off on his own ala Tim for a while in the Robin series and then Red Robin, and Dick in Nightwing. DC has a habit where when the Robin becomes too old for the role (Tim was going on his senior year of high school when Damian came in the picture and was ten at the time) they trot out a new one. When Dick was 17, nearly 18, out came Jason, when Jason died at 15 going on 16, in come 12 or 13 year old Tim.

Damian is getting to the age that he would be seen as a "Teen" character and thus would be used more in "Teen" stories. They will be wanting to bring in a younger Robin of about 10 to 12 to take on the role, and probably more for Jace than Bruce right now.

Tim isn't going to be a New Robin, he was Robin while Damain was Robin, so he's not exactly doing anything new in that sense. Yes he's working with Bruce, but that's not who I'm thinking of since they want to push Jace as the next Batman.

When they bring in the new Robin so Damian fans don't have the same WEF moment the Tim fans had?

You mean like how when Duke was introduced as the new side kick, Damian fans were chill while Tim fans went ballistic harrassing the poor character and his fans being racist as hell.
    What Tim fans were racist as hell regarding Duke. You mean the random "Robin" fans who still think Dick Grayson is robin or should be Robin? Those fans, because those are not Tim Fans.

And What I mean by a WTF moment is that, the way DC tends to introduce Robins, something Dramatic happens. Jason coming in losing his parents or stealing a car, Tim coming in having figured out who Dick and Bruce were because they weren't operating in the shadows, and Damian smashing his way into the story full force. All Dramatic WTF moments when they happened. That's what I mean. Usually the Robin at the time will be either "Whoa" or "What" and I feel like Damian fans will get the same sort of Dramatic moment that Tim, and Jason fans had when their robin's changed to let in younger readers.

Please stop.

Do you mean like how Damian fans went WtF when Maps showed up working as Robin next to Batman? They didn't.
    Because that's an AU and wasn't going to go very far at all. And please stop what exactly? Pointing out in the next couple of years Damian's generation is going to be shifted for a younger one. It happens, and Damian thankfully has a step ahead being able to operate like Dick and Jason does, as a Solo character. Tim's group didn't get that honor because they didn't give him or the others time to change and grow. Look at the difference between Walley, Donna, Roy, Dick and Garth, vs how Tim's group got shafted, and yes I worry for Damian's group as DC hasn't done a lot of connecting between the younger members outside of maybe Jon and Conner hawke with him within the legacy groups.

Damian fans are not Tim fans.

Damian has been replaced many times. His fans rolled with it This has nothing to do with Damian and his fans.

We already know that Tim is the new Robin next to Batman. We already know that Chip picked him because he is his Favourite so it's unlikely Chip will be introducing a new Robin.
    No but they can be just as stubborn. Damain hasn't been replaced. Not as Robin. Duke isn't Robin, he's Signal. Harper is Bluebird, and Tim had the title before Damian, so he's not replacing anything.

Not that Chip will be bringing in a new Robin for his story, but there's no reason to not consider that Jace will need one, and likely at some point when Damian gets to "Old" for the role in a few years (16 is typically when the change happens in Comic time) a new Robin will show up. No idea who this Robin will be, but it's a cycle.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I feel this might be case with a lot of fans. Yes DC changed Tim but they also restored him. They brought back his old team mates, they had him working next to Bruce and they even leaned into the whole super detective most like Bruce HC that a lot of fandom believes.

All Tim greatest hits but for whatever reason that's no longer hits the sweet spot it used to.
    DC is often unfairly blamed when they done everything [short of bringing his folks back and I don't mean WP Drakes] to restore the character and put in positions to thrive.

Hopefully expanding his sexuality works or at worst is the last ditch effort. Damian can't make progress unimpeded so long as Tim's situation isn't resolved.

It's strange enough that Duke graduated from sidekick before Tim and Damian.
    DC hasn't done his greatest hits. They screwed him up in new 52, then when Tyion matured him enough to go to college and so forth, Bendis took him down to maybe High school again (is he 16 or is he 17 now?) Yes they brought back his old team mates, but then basically cut that story short because of events, and then floated him with a few writers.

DC screwed them both up, and can be rightly blamed for Tim and Damian. They took away two strong connections for Damian pre-new 52 (Steph and Colin) and then seemed to do the same with Dick for a while, his whole death, the additional bullshit that they did to Jon after they had created a really strong dynamic between them, and then fucked that up with the whole issue with evil Damian. Both got the shaft. If anything I would think both sets of fans could unite around the idea that DC enjoys screwing over the younger generations of heroes.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

@ Darkspellmaster

Tim fans started several racist threads on this site regarding Duke. You can still go back and check. It's not difficult to see the history of those who were being vile and verify who they stan. They weren't Dick or Jason fans.

Dick Grayson and Jason fans NEVER DID THAT.

DC already did that WTF shocking moment where Bruce lost his memory and Damian was sent away during Snyder's run. Damian fans def said WHOA when that happened.

DC did give Tim that honour as well as the time. He had a few years as RR. The fact that it didn't work out as well as planned doesn't mean they didn't give him the honour.

Batman Black and White isn't an AU. It's canon. Duke was a Robin who rejected the mantle leading to Bruce training him as something different.

Damian I feel has been one of the luckier DC characters. DC didn't really shaft him much. My one grip would be that due to circumstances he always gets his titles cut short and that unlike the male Robins before him, he never got to have a lengthy tenure as a solo Robin [like Dick and Tim] or Batman's sidekick [like Dick and Jason]

he still has a relationship with Steph and we just got lengthy content with them not long ago.
    He still has his relationship with Jon, DC distanced them which some on here see as a good thing because Supersons fans were starting to define Damian solely by that partnership.

Fingers crossed the magic Damian rumours are true. That sounds exciting and fresh.
    Colin he didn't really have a relationship with. I do miss Maya though.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

This is cute. He needs to cool down.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    @ Darkspellmaster

Tim fans started several racist threads on this site regarding Duke. You can still go back and check. It's not difficult to see the history of those who were being vile and verify who they stan. They weren't Dick or Jason fans.
    Dang. What year?

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Colin he didn't really have a relationship with. I do miss Maya though.
    If it's a book that involves Dustin Nguyen (like Lil Gotham or Cass' short story in the Asian Heritage anthology) the two are typically portrayed as friends. Hell, from what little we got of Colin in the more mainstream books, they seemed like they were on their way to being that. I know Williamson would go on to say that he didn't really have a plan for him, but I wish he had stuck around long enough to have at least thought of something.

And then there's Maya, who he apparently had a whole arc planned out for. I'm really hoping his friendships with Rose, Flatline, and Connor continue after this run is over. Because it's starting to feel like the only long term friend he's destined to have his Jon, and he deserves...better than that XD
    Last edited by Blue22; 06-28-2022 at 07:15 AM.

I must admitt that I liked Damian Plan for Lazarus Island.

The issue was short in my opinion.. It made me need more.

It was unexpected see him in the end of this issue.. I wonder if is trying to manipulate Damian.
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-28-2022 at 09:12 AM.

I really enjoyed this issue as well. This run hasn't been perfect, but words can't express how sad I'll be when it's done. Especially when nothing I've heard about "Batman VS Robin" has really excited me. Not even having Mark Waid's name attached to it.

Spectacular Member

So apparently Damian’s solo is ending at issue 17…I have no idea what DC is gonna do with Damian after Batman v Robin. Does anyone have any ideas?

Astonishing Member

Hopefully Waid continues his ongoing after that. Right now it's the most obvious outcome.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Hopefully Waid continues his ongoing after that. Right now it's the most obvious outcome.
    Yeah, I don't think we should be too concerned about Damian's future. His book wasn't cancelled because of bad sales or anything and Waid has had plans for batman vs robin since the beginning of the year.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, I don't think we should be too concerned about Damian's future. His book wasn't cancelled because of bad sales or anything and Waid has had plans for batman vs robin since the beginning of the year.

And that is my concern. "Batman vs Robin: The Road to War" doesn't feature Williamson's "Robin"...it goes all the way back to Glass' Teen Titans run, and includes the black casebook Hush storyline. If the concept was developed before Williamson's development of Damian, it may mean being back at square one....especially if it means Damian goes the magic route and turns bad (the plan for those story arcs.)

I liked today's issue. It was a breather issue, the start of the next arc, and the establishing of a new status quo or direction between Damian/Talia/Bruce all in one, so I'll give props to Williamson on that (not sure how that comports with a story called Batman VS. Robin but we'll see). Cruz's faces can be a little wonk, but he does good action. He's not as dynamic as Melnikov, but he has him do the same moves Melnikov used so it's a nice through line for the character (it's why I love the character for having unique traits that are consistent across different creators). However, if Talia and Connor can be as brown as they are here, then why can't Damian (I'm not looking to stir up Discourse so don't take this as an opportunity to do so, I'm just expressing disappointment)?

Overall, I just wish Williamson could've stayed on because it's so refreshing to just have one continuous, ongoing narrative featuring Damian just like Tim's 183 issue book.
    Last edited by garazza; 06-28-2022 at 02:20 PM.