Page 143 of 193 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2895

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Certainly looks like it.
    Was there ever a time in which Damian was allowed to be Robin in peace for long?
    Dick!Bats era only lasted a year and it wasn't unreasonable to assume that Tim would go back to being Robin once Bruce returned (which everyone knew would happen sooner or later)
    During the Batman Inc time Bruce thought Damian would destroy Gotham if he allowed him to stay on as Robin.
    Then Damian was dead.
    When he came back Bruce got amnesia and Snyder introduced Duke as possible new Robin.
    In Rebirth they put Tim back in the Robin suit, only that his suit had two Rs instead of one.
    Teen Titans by Glass was designed to kick him out of the mantle from the start.
    Luckily DC changed their minds and gave Damian an ongoing, but that lasted only 17 issues and also they made Tim go back to just being called Robin. He's also getting a Robin ongoing right after Damian's ends.

I just want stories in which Damian gets to be competent and heroic while still being mean because it's funny. Is that too much to ask?
    Clearly it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Even if Damian ends up not at fault they'll still make it his fault somehow. Like with Alfred's death.

DC seems to like labels and pigeon holes. Not a fresh idea amongst the bunch of them. I'd like to vote with my wallet [I wish others would too] but that'll likely be interpreted as Damian isn't commercially viable rather than this direction isn't good.
    While someone like Bruce always gets things retconned in his favor (because he's Batman). There is no text yet, but I noticed how the page they showed when Waid talked about Damian being the cause seemingly shows a flashback to Bruce comforting Damian at Alfred's grave, something that I'm pretty sure didn't happen, at least not on page.
    Last edited by Astralabius; 08-14-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Spectacular Member

So Damian will fall. It's all so boring.
    World's Finest has been really good, which gives me some hope. Its well written, well paced with great characterization, and great art. I can see a path forward that is good for Damian if he is the Wayne to rise. For me, it is a matter of timing. If this is just 5G under another name, meh....which sort seems like after a move away, they've gone back in that direction....and Williamson's departure from Robin after indicating a longer term commitment. Plus, it seems they need Tim to be Robin.

But if this plays into Flashpoint Beyond and Dark Crisis, I could maybe see it working, especially if the voice/child talking to Bruce were an avatar for Damian and the Wayne to fall is Thomas or Martha.

It is ironic that after Dick, I see Damian as the most inspirational and compassionate Robin. But I agree, Damian hasn't really had a chance to be Robin to Bruce. At every stage, he was either dead, forgotten, or being replaced.

Truthfully, Robin has kind of lost meaning at this point. Every "Batman" has to have a Robin, even if that legacy isn't tied to the Flying Grayson/Spring of Dick in Batman's life....even if the Batman in question doesn't battle obsession with the mission and darkness. At least in main continuity it flowed down as a symbol...elsewhere it's just a over used trope.
    Last edited by OOPS; 08-14-2022 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OOPS View Post
    World's Finest has been really good, which gives me some hope. Its well written, well paced with great characterization, and great art. I can see a path forward that is good for Damian if he is the Wayne to rise. For me, it is a matter of timing. If this is just 5G under another name, meh....which sort seems like after a move away, they've gone back in that direction....and Williamson's departure from Robin after indicating a longer term commitment. Plus, it seems they need Tim to be Robin.

But if this plays into Flashpoint Beyond and Dark Crisis, I could maybe see it working, especially if the voice/child talking to Bruce were an avatar for Damian and the Wayne to fall is Thomas or Martha.

It is ironic that after Dick, I see Damian as the most inspirational and compassionate Robin. But I agree, Damian hasn't really had a chance to be Robin to Bruce. At every stage, he was either dead, forgotten, or being replaced.

Truthfully, Robin has kind of lost meaning at this point. Every "Batman" has to have a Robin, even if that legacy isn't tied to the Flying Grayson/Spring of Dick in Batman's life....even if the Batman in question doesn't battle obsession with the mission and darkness. At least in main continuity it flowed down as a symbol...elsewhere it's just a over used trope.
    I simply don't want another Bruce vs Damian fight. Doesn't matter who is writing it.
    And especially not one in which Damian is the one who once again has to be to be stopped. This time it's not even about Damian. Bruce is fighting Nezha, Nezha is just using Damian's body. I guess Batman vs Robin is simply going to sell more than Batman vs Nezha would have (probably the same reason an event about the magical side of DC has Batman as the main character)

It's not that Damian's character arc (at least before Teen Titans botched it) wasn't inspirational. It's just that a lot of writers and character's don't treat it that way. Damian often gets looked down upon and put in bad situations for not starting out as a hero while Tim and Dick get praise even though the road to heroism was much easier for them than for Damian.

The batfamily is crowded enough as it is. I know why writers do it, but the characters are already stepping on each others toes.

Spectacular Member

Well, on the upside, at least we know Damian won't die (for long) again. Waid says what happens in the climax affects other characters, and for a year we've been shown a dead/missing Damian wouldn't have any impact on the other characters except the villians.

I guess what I am interested in is that whole Alfred thing hinted at in the solicitations.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah people, don't use comic book revolution site for any sales analysis. Person writing for that site either doesn't understand what he is writing or he is deliberately misleading people to generate clicks for his site.

ICV2 charts are based on what comic book shops sold that month. Robin #15 came out on Jun 28th, which means that shops only had couple of days to sell it. Yes, lots of people pick it up on release date, but good chunk of people also make a trip to the shop once or twice a month and pick up everything they want then. You can see same with other titles as well. For example, Action Annual (that came out in May 31th) sold more in June than regular Action Comics issue that came out June 28th.

That being said it is normal for there to be a sales drop after crossover ends, because whole point of doing crossover with Batman is usually to temporary increase sales for other titles. Even according to that site's numbers Robin jumped from 87 to 67 when Shadow War started.

From the next issue of Dark crisis

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah people, don't use comic book revolution site for any sales analysis. Person writing for that site either doesn't understand what he is writing or he is deliberately misleading people to generate clicks for his site.

ICV2 charts are based on what comic book shops sold that month. Robin #15 came out on Jun 28th, which means that shops only had couple of days to sell it. Yes, lots of people pick it up on release date, but good chunk of people also make a trip to the shop once or twice a month and pick up everything they want then. You can see same with other titles as well. For example, Action Annual (that came out in May 31th) sold more in June than regular Action Comics issue that came out June 28th.

That being said it is normal for there to be a sales drop after crossover ends, because whole point of doing crossover with Batman is usually to temporary increase sales for other titles. Even according to that site's numbers Robin jumped from 87 to 67 when Shadow War started.

That is too ridiculous for words. I guess we know why Tom Taylor keeps posting how ICv2 is unreliable.

Sheesh! That's diabolical.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

From the next issue of Dark crisis

He looks like a kid next to everyone else. I know he's a teen but he looks so short.

It's jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

Not sure why Dc and Marvel don't release their own figures.

These sites are a scam it seems. 2 days sales to represent 30 days sale is grossly misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Certainly looks like it.
    Was there ever a time in which Damian was allowed to be Robin in peace for long?
    Dick!Bats era only lasted a year and it wasn't unreasonable to assume that Tim would go back to being Robin once Bruce returned (which everyone knew would happen sooner or later)
    During the Batman Inc time Bruce thought Damian would destroy Gotham if he allowed him to stay on as Robin.
    Then Damian was dead.
    When he came back Bruce got amnesia and Snyder introduced Duke as possible new Robin.
    In Rebirth they put Tim back in the Robin suit, only that his suit had two Rs instead of one.
    Teen Titans by Glass was designed to kick him out of the mantle from the start.
    Luckily DC changed their minds and gave Damian an ongoing, but that lasted only 17 issues and also they made Tim go back to just being called Robin. He's also getting a Robin ongoing right after Damian's ends.

I just want stories in which Damian gets to be competent and heroic while still being mean because it's funny. Is that too much to ask?
    I've given up hope that editors and writers will ever treat Damian well or even fairly. It's paranoid to say that they hate him but there's just too much evidence to say anything else.

They treat him so badly. Since he arrived they've done nothing but treat him bad. Trying to get rid of him once batman and Robin ended.

How many successful characters have Dc managed to introduce in the last 20 years?
    How many of them have been as successful as Damian?
    How difficult is it to have a POC break through?
    DC is desperate for successful people of colour yet they are doing everything they can to sabotage Damian.

I hope Batman and Robin turns out good but I won't be buying it. I.'ll support stuff like DCeased.

Weaning myself off DC and Comics in general. the hobby isn't good for my BP and my mood. I don't need a past time that makes me unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I've given up hope that editors and writers will ever treat Damian well or even fairly. It's paranoid to say that they hate him but there's just too much evidence to say anything else.

They treat him so badly. Since he arrived they've done nothing but treat him bad. Trying to get rid of him once batman and Robin ended.

How many successful characters have Dc managed to introduce in the last 20 years?
    How many of them have been as successful as Damian?
    How difficult is it to have a POC break through?
    DC is desperate for successful people of colour yet they are doing everything they can to sabotage Damian.

I hope Batman and Robin turns out good but I won't be buying it. I.'ll support stuff like DCeased.

Weaning myself off DC and Comics in general. the hobby isn't good for my BP and my mood. I don't need a past time that makes me unhappy.
    Yeah, I'm aware that basically all comic fans are unhappy with how their favorite characters are treated because comics are messy and there are too many writers involved, but it's truly baffling that DC looked at one of their few successful poc characters, a 13 year old kid with a great character arc, and went: You know what we should do? Throw it all in the trash, assassinate his character for two years so we can kick him out of the mantle by the end of it. People will love it.

Like? Why? He's a child. And why did they have to stretch it out over two years? Who thought this was a good idea? (Didio, I know, but...still wtf man)

I understand where you're coming from. I also took a several month long break in which I only read elsworld stuff because it was less frustrating.

Astonishing Member

The problem is that now at the helm in DC are people who grew up in the 90s, when there was Tim, when there was Young Justice generation, and so on. I have no prejudice, but this category of fans has always had the largest number of people who feel resentment towards Damian. And I just look at the way the Bat-comics are built right now, and I really get the impression that just as DiDio tried to bring back his beloved Silver Age, the current editorial, especially the Bat-Office, are trying to restore their favorite period. And Damian doesn't fit in, so he's kept at a distance.
    I mean, YJ tie-in is literally about that, lol.