Page 149 of 193 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2895
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    So what would be an accurate estimate of how Tim's special sold so far?
    I don't think we can really know. The West Coast store owner said he sold a lot, and SSOKE sells for him. The other two didn't order a lot and still had left over books. My thing would be, if someone wants to knock whichever number, they should give concrete numbers to refute.

I don't think the Tim Drake sold well....it wasn't a coming out edition, and by that point readers had seen Fitzmartin's take on Tim . Tim/Steph fans had been turned off. Tim as the serious detective fans has been turned off. And frankly like with Beyond the White Knight, the marketing around the book was particularly effective. But sales aren't based on my feelings, for all I know it was the Top Selling Book of the year and DC just doesn't want to make Marvel feel bad by bragging.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOPS View Post
    I don't think we can really know. The West Coast store owner said he sold a lot, and SSOKE sells for him. The other two didn't order a lot and still had left over books. My thing would be, if someone wants to knock whichever number, they should give concrete numbers to refute.

I don't think the Tim Drake sold well....it wasn't a coming out edition, and by that point readers had seen Fitzmartin's take on Tim . Tim/Steph fans had been turned off. Tim as the serious detective fans has been turned off. And frankly like with Beyond the White Knight, the marketing around the book was particularly effective. But sales aren't based on my feelings, for all I know it was the Top Selling Book of the year and DC just doesn't want to make Marvel feel bad by bragging.

How accurate would you say ICV2 sales are?

Spectacular Member

Given artists have said that when they asked for numbers they were referred to icv2, I guess "generally sort of proportional". My guess is it would be more representative than a proportion during an 1 hour window on a single site. I'm not shilling for any site, as none have the real data. But I just don't think we can dismiss one general estimate with assurances from people who have an economic interest in hyping their own sales or a feeling.

I suspect there is a great deal of regional variation and even shop variation. But I think Batman sells, Nightwing is a strong seller....and the rest have the potential to sell but having smaller fanbases and need consistency or good marketing to crawl up the sales charts.

Spectacular Member

Now that the run has ended, I have questions. I didn't quite understand the XXL character, and really ages overall. When Damian first arrived, competitors were surprised that a kid had been allowed to join. However, XXL is supposed to have been only 10. Why were they surprised ANOTHER child could compete? Each of the combatants had proven they could kill. What was XXLs history that lead to his qualification?

How old are Black Swan and Connor Hawk? They started out appearing to be adults....but the started aging down. Just how old are they supposed to be? Also, how old is Flatline? She seemed to be an older teen, but in the last two issues, seemed to age to early 20s.

Talia in several places encourages Damian to make a choice for his own future and seemed pleased when he chose detective over demon...yet also appeared to cooperate with Mother Soul to set Damian up. Which if this was a plan set in motion when she was a teen, makes the Heretic killing Damian seem odd.

Just how much about Damian's life does the family know? And how much wealth does Damian have, and does the family know? Do they even know he was "lord Damian"?

I'm really curious what happened behind the scenes. I don't think this ending was what the story was leading towards.

Connor should be late teens or early 20s. He's old enough to be an ex-Justice Leaguer after all.

Flatline I'd say is around 16. She can't be too much older than 14 year old Damian!

Looks like Damian's getting reunited with Teen Titans guest star and JSA member Jakeem Thunder.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-...mics-spoilers/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Connor should be late teens or early 20s. He's old enough to be an ex-Justice Leaguer after all.
    Connor was allready 18 when he first appeared in 1994.
    That would make him ind the pre flashpoint continuity roughly 4 year older than Tim and 4 younger than Dick, and maybe 2-3 years older than Jason and Cass.

So based on that he would be in his early to mid 20s.

Incredible Member

The ages are quite blurry, and I think it's on purpose.
    We know that Cass is a teenager right now, while Jason is an adult and seems to be closer to Dick in age.
    Steph was college-age in her original run, but now she seems to be younger.
    It's very likely Connor is in his late teens right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Connor was allready 18 when he first appeared in 1994.
    That would make him ind the pre flashpoint continuity roughly 4 year older than Tim and 4 younger than Dick, and maybe 2-3 years older than Jason and Cass.

So based on that he would be in his early to mid 20s.
    I think that Conner is still a teen, much like Tim his history has been altered or ignored. He is written to come across as younger.

Now that the run has ended, I have questions. I didn't quite understand the XXL character, and really ages overall. When Damian first arrived, competitors were surprised that a kid had been allowed to join. However, XXL is supposed to have been only 10. Why were they surprised ANOTHER child could compete? Each of the combatants had proven they could kill. What was XXLs history that lead to his qualification?

How old are Black Swan and Connor Hawk? They started out appearing to be adults....but the started aging down. Just how old are they supposed to be? Also, how old is Flatline? She seemed to be an older teen, but in the last two issues, seemed to age to early 20s.

Talia in several places encourages Damian to make a choice for his own future and seemed pleased when he chose detective over demon...yet also appeared to cooperate with Mother Soul to set Damian up. Which if this was a plan set in motion when she was a teen, makes the Heretic killing Damian seem odd.

Just how much about Damian's life does the family know? And how much wealth does Damian have, and does the family know? Do they even know he was "lord Damian"?

I'm really curious what happened behind the scenes. I don't think this ending was what the story was leading towards.
    I'm also very curious about XXL and his posse.

This series ended so abruptly leaving a lot of things unresolved. This last 2 issues give off the feeling of trying to tie up things quickly which was just sad. This series deserved a better end. A better send off for the characters.

Talia I feel is very conflicted. She wants the best for Damian and would like him to have a happy life but her upbringing gets in the way.

The Al Ghuls nurturing is set in deep. Talia's life was planned out and she was frequently just a tool to further Ra's overall plans for the Al Ghul empire.

It's the same with her sister and brother. They were part of something greater and didn't really get the chance to do their own thing.

Talia I'm sure deep down wants Damian to make his own choices but she keeps repeating history. Doing to him what Ra's and her sister did to her. Using him like a tool rather than letting him be his own person.

It's sad.

Ra's has been around for a while and I bet ir costs a shit ton to run the LOA. Are the members compensated? Do they have day jobs? Does Ra's take care of all their needs and expenses? He must do.

That's a lot of mouths to feed. Maintaining the LOA is akin to funding a very large army in wartime and Ra's has been doing that for decades. I'd put Ra's on a similar tier with Savage. Wealthier than the likes of Lex and Bruce.

Damian spends a lot and gets a lot from Talia. He spends millions like it's spare change and brags to Dick about gifts from Talia. A jet for Christmas when he was 9. Stuff like that.
    The family are aware since Dick and Bruce have mentioned his ridiculous amounts Talia sends him each month as an allowance during B&R.

I'm also certain Bruce has a file that contains every detail of Damian's life up till he joined the family. That's the sort of thing Bruce would do when he views a person as a threat/danger. Which is how he views Damian [at least up till Batman Inc]

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Flatline I'd say is around 16. She can't be too much older than 14 year old Damian!

Looks like Damian's getting reunited with Teen Titans guest star and JSA member Jakeem Thunder.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-...mics-spoilers/
    That's a friendship I'd like to see. Thought him popping up in TT was random but a neat surprise.

TT by Glass was big on diversity and at the same time encapsulates everything wrong about how comics treat diverse characters.

They are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    So what would be an accurate estimate of how Tim's special sold so far?
    No clue. Hopefully not as bad as the rankings indicate because comics need more high profile LGBTq headliners.

Western Comics have been a thing for like 90 years and yet there's so few leading LGBTQ men.

It's not like comic readers mind reading about gay characters. Midnighter, Apollo, Piped Piper, Batwoman etc show that readers aren't opposed to having gays in their comics.
    Last edited by dietrich; 08-26-2022 at 08:11 AM.

Spectacular Member

I'm less hopeful on the Jakeem Thunder link. Robin had some really interesting characters that I want to know more about and read stories about. Instead, as great as World's Finest has been, we get two characters I know almost nothing about, and what I do know isn't particularly interesting.

I wanted to know more about Jiro, XXL, Black Swan...and Mara and her team. Waid's done a great job, but I'm just not anticipating this direction, especially with the direct ties to the Teen Titans run....there is a reason I don't own that run.

I'm less hopeful on the Jakeem Thunder link. Robin had some really interesting characters that I want to know more about and read stories about. Instead, as great as World's Finest has been, we get two characters I know almost nothing about, and what I do know isn't particularly interesting.

I wanted to know more about Jiro, XXL, Black Swan...and Mara and her team. Waid's done a great job, but I'm just not anticipating this direction, especially with the direct ties to the Teen Titans run....there is a reason I don't own that run.
    I'm all for allowing creators to do their own thing. Giving them license to build their world however when working with characters that have a past and since comics have a continuous narrative it's important that writers maintain that continuity.

Too often writers selfishly ignore existing relationships in favour of introducing and pushing their own creations [got to earn them royalties/leave a mark]

Writers should develop existing relationships even while introducing new ones. Don't disregard what was already there. Build on top of that.

That continuing narrative is important. Readers get attached. We get invested.
    We don't want to read Damian forming relationships only for those relationships and friendships to be ignored.

Wish more writers would keep that in mind when writing a character.

Found this funny.

Last edited by dietrich; 08-26-2022 at 08:39 AM.