Page 61 of 103 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    I'll see if I can find that title on Barry's early struggles. Agree about the 'forces' thing it felt too contrived and cornball, introducing characters nobody cares about. Godspeed struggling was during Manapaul I believe.
    Ok found it...it was a Year One special. Unfortunately, most of the links no longer work properly. Image of all the burnt up shoes/clothes he went through, too.

https://www.denofgeek.com/comics/the...-origin-story/

Last edited by BooCoo; 10-13-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I think Lee may have asked out of a concern for the quality in the portrayal (I may be wrong). Jeremy Adams is pretty Christian. But I don't really think it would be an issue, really, judging from his output so far.
    Yeah, I'm skeptical. Whether by accident or design, Adams has built up a Flash run (and a larger body of work, it sounds like) where LGBT people effectively don't exist. But also one where it was apparently important to establish that future Irey is married to a man and future Jai is dating a woman.

I don't think there's any deep issue behind it.

Astonishing Member

If he's accidentally created a body of work that doesn't include LGBT people, that doesn't fill me with optimism about how Pied Piper might be handled either. But time will tell.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If he's accidentally created a body of work that doesn't include LGBT people, that doesn't fill me with optimism about how Pied Piper might be handled either. But time will tell.
    Time will tell indeed, but I really don't think it will be an issue. All I've seen from Adams as a person/professional seem to indicate that he is kind, considerate and open minded. It may be the case -and it's probable - that this particular issue just hasn't presented itself to his work yet.

I do get your concerns, though, especially in the times we're living. But ATM I give Adams the benefit of the doubt.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

Yeah, I'm skeptical. Whether by accident or design, Adams has built up a Flash run (and a larger body of work, it sounds like) where LGBT people effectively don't exist. But also one where it was apparently important to establish that future Irey is married to a man and future Jai is dating a woman.
    Alan Scott, Obsidian and Jackson Hyde showed up in #786, so to say LGBT people don't exist on his run is just not true. All things considered, it's more than likely an organic opportunity to write any of those characters hasn't been presented to him yet.

Also, why should we fear the way he would write them? If anything, we should fear him putting way too much thought into it when writing them, because that ends up producing the completely opposite of the intended effect IMO. Piper should be written the same as any other character. I always get this weird feeling that implying LGBT characters should be written differently also carries, even if unintentionally, the awful implication that they're not, you know, normal.
    Last edited by Maxi; 10-13-2022 at 01:58 PM.

Isn't John Constantine LGBT? He was part of the Eclipso arc.

It feels like you trying to imply something here.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Isn't John Constantine LGBT? He was part of the Eclipso arc.

It feels like you trying to imply something here.
    Oh yeah, he totally is! And he wrote a damn fine John Constantine.

May I remind you all, Jeremy is big friends with Tim Sheridan (both come from the field of TV and animation and are writing Flashpoint Beyond together) who is LGBT, so there is definitely a connection with Wally and Piper's friendship right there.
    Last edited by Maxi; 10-13-2022 at 02:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

Maybe there'll be some great LGBT themed stories in The Flash in coming months. Who knows. Love, romance and happy families have been a focus of this run. Maybe they'll get around to depicting a queer relationship eventually.

Fantastic Member

Maybe there'll be some great LGBT themed stories in The Flash in coming months.
    Honest question: how did Williamson do on that front in his 100+ issue run?

I recall he had Linda approach Piper about his engagement in a big splash page near the very end, but I don't remember much more than that. Then again, I didn't read every issue of that run so I could have missed some stuff. As for Adams, I don't think we can say one way or the other right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    Honest question: how did Williamson do on that front in his 100+ issue run?

I recall he had Linda approach Piper about his engagement in a big splash page near the very end, but I don't remember much more than that. Then again, I didn't read every issue of that run so I could have missed some stuff. As for Adams, I don't think we can say one way or the other right now.
    Uh...I think there was some thing about Hartley and Singh getting back together? At least I vaguely recall that.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Now that I think about it, I did reread so of my New 52 Flash trades recently

Like Piper appeared sporadically to build him up but overall besides some appearances his thing was largely unexplained

Keep in mind I first read these I first got into comics when they came out so its weird that nothing about this guy was really explained since its clear he was already Pied Piper previously

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Now that I think about it, I did reread so of my New 52 Flash trades recently

Like Piper appeared sporadically to build him up but overall besides some appearances his thing was largely unexplained

Keep in mind I first read these I first got into comics when they came out so its weird that nothing about this guy was really explained since its clear he was already Pied Piper previously
    Yeah, Piper was a really good friend to Wally and recurring character during Mark Waid's run. He appeared in the Venditti/Van Jensen in that 'let's give Wally things to Barry" period, but it was clearly artificial and not much came out of it.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I'm glad someone brought up the potential reason why Jeremy Adams is avoiding Piper and made sure none of the kids were single in the future segment of the book. Not like it matters because you can easily switch them to bisexual if you want. I'm not happy with his Christianity touches in the book as well.

I try to give him the benefit of doubt but the fact that he outright ignores Piper really don't fill me with confidence. It really needs to be addressed if that's not his intention imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    I try to give him the benefit of doubt but the fact that he outright ignores Piper really don't fill me with confidence. It really needs to be addressed if that's not his intention imho.
    I don't think he ignores Piper, though. So far he had to fix HIC, re-establish Wally, his kids, the entirety of the Flash family and your in with an event. Page count is limited. And it's not like Piper has had a huge presence lately.