Page 14 of 103 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    So what did people think of The Flash #781 and Nightwing #91?
    Both books were really good, but I really liked the interaction between Wally and Wallace in The Flash #781, this issue alone has made me like the nickname Ace for Wallace, Adams is really doing a good job with the Flash Family.

I'll be surprised if anyone else but Taylor is the writer of a new Titans book if it gets relaunched after Dark Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    So what did people think of The Flash #781 and Nightwing #91?
    Flash #781 was great! Probably one of the best issues yet of Adams run. So far my favorites are the Flash annual, the father daughter dance and the second part of the Heatwave issues. This one is right up there with them. Humor and lots of heart! And of course beautiful art. It was nice to see Wally and Wallace getting along so well. Wallace seems to need it. He didn't have them type of relationship with Barry that he wanted. Its funny...Wally always gave Bart a hard time because he reminded him of himself when he was younger. (which I think we can all relate to) Maybe Barry has a similiar type of situation with Wallace? I dunno...just a thought....they do seem more alike.

I didn't read Nightwing yet. I am waiting for that one to come to DC Universe app. Looking forward to it though.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Flash #781 was great! Probably one of the best issues yet of Adams run. So far my favorites are the Flash annual, the father daughter dance and the second part of the Heatwave issues. This one is right up there with them. Humor and lots of heart! And of course beautiful art. It was nice to see Wally and Wallace getting along so well. Wallace seems to need it. He didn't have them type of relationship with Barry that he wanted. Its funny...Wally always gave Bart a hard time because he reminded him of himself when he was younger. (which I think we can all relate to) Maybe Barry has a similiar type of situation with Wallace? I dunno...just a thought....they do seem more alike.

I didn't read Nightwing yet. I am waiting for that one to come to DC Universe app. Looking forward to it though.
    I feel like the problem with Barry and Wallace was Wallace projected his feelings towards Daniel on Barry.

Incredible Member

Taylor on the Fab 5? Great idea!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Man, I'm so far behind. I haven't picked up my books in over a month, so I haven't read any of the Earth-3, Nightwing or last 2 Flash issues!
    I'm going to have to try and get in this weekend.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Mighty Member

One of the readers from mine ask does Wally ever grow out any chest hair at one point in the run? I know different artists have their own choice to draw what type of physical a heroes have. Maybe?

Astonishing Member

IIRc early on in William Messner Loebs run, during the Porcupine Man arc, he's shirtless for a bit and has a tiny bit of chest hair. It's not super common though.

If it's an adult male character that existed between the late 70's and late 90's then at some point they would have been drawn with chest hair.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    IIRc early on in William Messner Loebs run, during the Porcupine Man arc, he's shirtless for a bit and has a tiny bit of chest hair. It's not super common though.
    But where? In which issue please?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    But where? In which issue please?
    #26-28 Messner-Loebs and Greg Larocque
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Mighty Member

I noticed that Wally during the Rebirth event, he was mostly stick around with the Titans. But after the team disbanded and found out his lost memories including his wife and children, Wally become depressed and sad the whole time and even went out of insane state. That is totally the final nails for Wally. But ever since Infinite Frontier start, Wally went through a drastic changes from giving up his superheroes life to become happy, delightful going speedster.

The Rebirth suit sadly only represent the terrible side of Wally while the nose cowl represent a different side of Wally West.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I noticed that Wally during the Rebirth event, he was mostly stick around with the Titans. But after the team disbanded and found out his lost memories including his wife and children, Wally become depressed and sad the whole time and even went out of insane state. That is totally the final nails for Wally. But ever since Infinite Frontier start, Wally went through a drastic changes from giving up his superheroes life to become happy, delightful going speedster.

The Rebirth suit sadly only represent the terrible side of Wally while the nose cowl represent a different side of Wally West.
    I think the Rebirth suit is still popular because it's a good design even if you think the exposed hair is too Kid Flash.

Incredible Member

I like the Rebirth suit but in my mind it is also a symbol of all the bad things that happened to Wally during that time.

Also, artists had a lot of coloring mistakes with that suit during years, everyone draw each section of the suit on a different way.

So I've been looking up some of Wally's early stuff after first becoming The Flash and I gotta say some of his characterization was... interesting. Since I couldn't find the full page I would type some of Wally's dialogue from The Flash Annual from 1987 by Mike Baron. Here's Wally's take on women partially influenced by his, I guess, new fling at the time named Connie who is staying in his new Long Island mansion that he bought after apparently winning the lottery recently:

"Chicks. They're so insecure. Take Connie. Texas girl. Model. She's doing a pond's shoot next week. You'd think she'd have a little self-confidence. I mean I know what chicks can do. Women like Donna Troy or Starfire. But those are the exceptions. Starfire's not even human. The truth is, most women are pretty insecure. It's the way they were brought up. But it's biology too. I mean just look at the physical differences. Men are hard-edged and muscular. Women are soft and curved. Men do the hunting and the fighting. Women tend the hearth and raise the children. That's just the way it is".

Then Wally is sent by a "master of healing" named Marshall Lau to Hong Kong to find "The Wizened Sage" who starts teaching him how to perform Dim Mak and let's say there are lots of other stereotypes there as well, including of course a "dragon lady" type of character named Dance of the Revolution that seduces Wally who states that "this is not America and he is only a man". In any event after Wally saves the day in the end he comes back to his mansion where he expresses some frustration that the carpenters and electricians he hired to renovate his house still haven't finished the tiles in the foyer for the 2 weeks he's been gone, after which he is greeted by Connie in a bathing suit to whom he's got a story to tell about his adventures in Hong Kong but wants them to do something else first.

Now look, obviously this stuff is from 35 years ago, it stands to reason that some of it wouldn't age well at all. But how in the world did they manage to make someone as likable as Wally seem so unlikable. If this was your very first exposure to Wally, since it was the first Annual from his first run as the new Flash, there's little that strikes him as a likeable guy here. I guess the idea was probably that him winning the lottery had made him more vain at the time but even though he obviously has good intentions and goes to Hong Kong to help somebody, he comes off as so materialistic, judgmental and shallow during most of the story to the point where it didn't feel like Wally West at all. :/

So I suppose my question is should I give this early portion of the book a chance, since I believe even a big Wally fan like Joshua Williamson said before this run didn't really take off until around Waid started writing, which was about 60 issues in.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-04-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So I've been looking up some of Wally's early stuff after first becoming The Flash and I gotta say some of his characterization was... interesting. Since I couldn't find the full page I would type some of Wally's dialogue from The Flash Annual from 1987 by Mike Baron. Here's Wally's take on women partially influenced by his, I guess, new fling at the time named Connie who is staying in his new Long Island mansion that he bought after apparently winning the lottery recently:

Then Wally is sent by a "master of healing" named Marshall Lau to Hong Kong to find "The Wizened Sage" who starts teaching him how to perform Dim Mak and let's say there are lots of other stereotypes there as well, including of course a "dragon lady" type of character named Dance of the Revolution that seduces Wally who states that "this is not America and he is only a man". In any event after Wally saves the day in the end he comes back to his mansion where he expresses some frustration that the carpenters and electricians he hired to renovate his house still haven't finished the tiles in the foyer for the 2 weeks he's been gone, after which he is greeted by Connie in a bathing suit to whom he's got a story to tell about his adventures in Hong Kong but wants them to do something else first.

Now look, obviously this stuff is from 35 years ago, it stands to reason that some of it wouldn't age well at all. But how in the world did they manage to make someone as likable as Wally seem so unlikable. If this was your very first exposure to Wally, since it was the first Annual from his first run as the new Flash, there's little that strikes him as a likeable guy here. I guess the idea was probably that him winning the lottery had made him more vain at the time but even though he obviously has good intentions and goes to Hong Kong to help somebody, he comes off as so materialistic, judgmental and shallow during most of the story to the point where it didn't feel like Wally West at all. :/

So I suppose my question is should I give this early portion of the book a chance, since I believe even a big Wally fan like Joshua Williamson said before this run didn't really take off until around Waid started writing, which was about 60 issues in.
    I really like this run. IMO it shows how young twenty somethings sometimes act...especially when they have fame and money. Wally is a jerk a lot of times but also a good man lots of the time too. And that seed to the great hero we know now is always there. I also think part of his bad behavior has to do with losing Barry and having to fill his boots.

Speaking as a person was not always the best guy in his twenties but had good intentions I can appreciate and relate.

That being said Wallys like that all of Barons run and even in Loebs run (although much more loveable) so it just may not be for you.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!