Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    That's still something that usually happens in most issues I've read from his run so is not like this is limited to this part.

(And still doesn't justify portraying the JLD as a bunch of douches to compensate for it).
    Seems like the main tool is Constantine which...yeah.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Seems like the main tool is Constantine which...yeah.
    Sure, but John (A well-written John I mean) is usually not this obnoxious and the rest are depicted as clueless asses despite that they should be extremely experimented people.

Sure, but John (A well-written John I mean) is usually not this obnoxious and the rest are depicted as clueless asses despite that they should be extremely experimented people.
    Eh, I think it's situational with John. Compared to somebody else he can come off pretty obnoxious (also, "Connie" is priceless). And in the context of the story they need Wally's POV.

Jesus, this pretty much encapsulates why I'm not fond of Adams' writing.

In less words Johns emphasized how cool and competent Wally was. JOHNS! And I love Johns but we all know he's often not exactly the most subtle writer out there. Adams took way too many panels to get the idea across (and to do so he also portrayed the Justice League Dark as a bunch of jackasses).
    Adams showed us Wally being smart enough to figure out Eclipso's plan but too dumb to realize that everyone was being possessed. That's in character for Wally.

The only JLD member being portrayed as a jackass was John Constantine which is inline with how he has been written since JLD Vol 1. Here the narrative just doesn't bend over backwards to show us how kewl or better he is than everyone else. We've gotten multiple storylines of John being a complete ass to others but somehow they still need to rely on him to save the day as if they're too incompetent or unworthy of their powers to save the day. It was nice to see Adams break that pattern. Just as it was nice to Johns break from the usual Bat God pattern.

Everyone else who got lines in the issue from Dr Fate to Zatanna to Etrigan to Detective Chimp was portrayed as cooperative and competent. They were all trying to figure out what happened and Wally put two and two together because this was something in his wheelhouse and the solution was something that required out-of-the-magical-box thinking and Wally has been on this case a while longer than the JLD. I'm usually critical of JLD but I didn't have a problem with them getting possessed here. Eclipso is ridiculously powerful and each member got taken over one by one with the possessed members helping to take over other and it took two members to possess Dr Fate.

Astonishing Member

Are you really upset that, in The Flash comic, The Flash gets to be cool in his team up with JLD? Have you ever seen a team up before? The host comic always gets to look like the cool one.

But whatever. I don't think anything will make you happy from what I've seen. Shame the thread had to start off on such a sour note from you.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yeah, to me the main problem here is Wally even appearing in the same comic as John Constantine. I know it's been a while but having Constantine a member of Justice League anything is ridiculous. Having him in the DCU? Cool. Having him as any sort of superhero team or any sort of superhero? That just rubs me the wrong way. Though, like I said in the previous thread, teaming up Wally with the likes of Zatanna, Dr Fate or Detective Chimp is a pretty fresh take. I just wish the latest issue spent a bit more time on their interactions, instead of spending half the time on the kids' storyline (which I'm enjoying at least as much as the Eclipso story but 20 pages just isn't enough to give them both full shrift) but hopefully there's still time for that.

And count me in for having Jeremy Adams staying on the book. Despite the low sales and that the book wasn't even on CBR's list of the top 100 comics of 2021, it is, hands down, the best the Flash has been in nearly 20 years, in my (and clearly many other Wally West fan's) eyes. I do wish DC would spend a fraction of the money they spend on promoting the 800 Bat-books they release a month on this book. Instead, they're hobbling it at every turn. The trade for the first arc of Adams' only comes out mid-2022 for crying out loud!
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Yeah, to me the main problem here is Wally even appearing in the same comic as John Constantine. I know it's been a while but having Constantine a member of Justice League anything is ridiculous. Having him in the DCU? Cool. Having him as any sort of superhero team or any sort of superhero? That just rubs me the wrong way. Though, like I said in the previous thread, teaming up Wally with the likes of Zatanna, Dr Fate or Detective Chimp is a pretty fresh take. I just wish the latest issue spent a bit more time on their interactions, instead of spending half the time on the kids' storyline (which I'm enjoying at least as much as the Eclipso story but 20 pages just isn't enough to give them both full shrift) but hopefully there's still time for that.

And count me in for having Jeremy Adams staying on the book. Despite the low sales and that the book wasn't even on CBR's list of the top 100 comics of 2021, it is, hands down, the best the Flash has been in nearly 20 years, in my (and clearly many other Wally West fan's) eyes. I do wish DC would spend a fraction of the money they spend on promoting the 800 Bat-books they release a month on this book. Instead, they're hobbling it at every turn. The trade for the first arc of Adams' only comes out mid-2022 for crying out loud!
    I only mind Constantine on the JLD when he's dragging down Zee with his presence.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Adams showed us Wally being smart enough to figure out Eclipso's plan but too dumb to realize that everyone was being possessed. That's in character for Wally.

The only JLD member being portrayed as a jackass was John Constantine which is inline with how he has been written since JLD Vol 1. Here the narrative just doesn't bend over backwards to show us how kewl or better he is than everyone else. We've gotten multiple storylines of John being a complete ass to others but somehow they still need to rely on him to save the day as if they're too incompetent or unworthy of their powers to save the day. It was nice to see Adams break that pattern. Just as it was nice to Johns break from the usual Bat God pattern.

Everyone else who got lines in the issue from Dr Fate to Zatanna to Etrigan to Detective Chimp was portrayed as cooperative and competent. They were all trying to figure out what happened and Wally put two and two together because this was something in his wheelhouse and the solution was something that required out-of-the-magical-box thinking and Wally has been on this case a while longer than the JLD. I'm usually critical of JLD but I didn't have a problem with them getting possessed here. Eclipso is ridiculously powerful and each member got taken over one by one with the possessed members helping to take over other and it took two members to possess Dr Fate.
    Admitedly didn't read the whole issue since I started to lose interest in the book for a while but from what I've read there, it still has the same dialogue issues that bothered me early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    But whatever. I don't think anything will make you happy from what I've seen. Shame the thread had to start off on such a sour note from you.
    And this part makes me laugh, being critical of a work is not being critical of the character itself.

Oh, and about that "I don't think anything will make you happy" line, I enjoyed Lobdell's Flash Forward more than Adams' run.

Take that as you will.

Admitedly didn't read the whole issue since I started to lose interest in the book for a while but from what I've read there, it still has the same dialogue issues that bothered me early on.

And this part makes me laugh, being critical of a work is not being critical of the character itself.

Oh, and about that "I don't think anything will make you happy" line, I enjoyed Lobdell's Flash Forward more than Adams' run.

Take that as you will.
    Nothing wrong with being critical but maybe read the whole thing for some context before passing judgement? It's a good way not to make a fool out of yourself.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Nothing wrong with being critical but maybe read the whole thing for some context before passing judgement? It's a good way not to make a fool out of yourself.
    I'm being critical of the issues I've read. That's what I meant.

Jesus, this pretty much encapsulates why I'm not fond of Adams' writing.

In less words Johns emphasized how cool and competent Wally was. JOHNS! And I love Johns but we all know he's often not exactly the most subtle writer out there. Adams took way too many panels to get the idea across (and to do so he also portrayed the Justice League Dark as a bunch of jackasses).
    You mean they're not? I mean, ANY team with both John Constantine AND Etrigan the Demon?

Astonishing Member

I'm being critical of the issues I've read. That's what I meant.
    Your criticisms are weird. Like how Constantine is a part of the JLD. He's been a part of the JLD since the JLD has been a thing. Adams isn't doing something new and out of character by having Constantine tag along with the JLD crew and be the ******* of the group. Constantine goes off on a rant every other issue.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

(and to do so he also portrayed the Justice League Dark as a bunch of jackasses).
    They're being influenced by Eclipso. That's the whole thing with this arc. Superman was shown being douchy, so did Mr. T and the entire population of Central City, because they're being influenced by Eclipso.

This is not "Adams take on JLD", this is "JLD under Eclipso's influence"
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Your criticisms are weird. Like how Constantine is a part of the JLD. He's been a part of the JLD since the JLD has been a thing. Adams isn't doing something new and out of character by having Constantine tag along with the JLD crew and be the ******* of the group. Constantine goes off on a rant every other issue.
    ... That's not even what I said? Like, at all?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

... That's not even what I said? Like, at all?
    That's what I said, but I was talking in general, not about this particular issue.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.