Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Ugh.

I don't know the context behind it(haven't been reading comics for a while. On purpose for X-Men and too busy with life for others) but couldn't they have juat said "we need Steve"? Why drag Scott's name in the conversation to begin with?
    It was because Exodus was in protest of them bringing Steve back over Scott who had just died in battle. Kurt then mentions the need for Steve and not Scott. I don't know why Scott was even used though, because like I said, he wasn't leading the charge or anything in this, he was just a player like many others, using him to prop up "The other Leader" just doesn't sit with me. It'd be the same if it were Jean or Storm too, Albeit they were way more instrumental in this story then Scott was, And I get where Gillen was going, Since he Likes Scott. I think it was like "yea Cyclops can figure out a lot of stuff in hard times and has, but for our current circumstance, we need Steve" I honestly think if it was worded better in general, I wouldn't be so annoyed with it. It is what it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    It was because Exodus was in protest of them bringing Steve back over Scott who had just died in battle. Kurt then mentions the need for Steve and not Scott. I don't know why Scott was even used though, because like I said, he wasn't leading the charge or anything in this, he was just a player like many others, using him to prop up "The other Leader" just doesn't sit with me. It'd be the same if it were Jean or Storm too, Albeit they were way more instrumental in this story then Scott was, And I get where Gillen was going, Since he Likes Scott. I think it was like "yea Cyclops can figure out a lot of stuff in hard times and has, but for our current circumstance, we need Steve" I honestly think if it was worded better in general, I wouldn't be so annoyed with it. It is what it is though.
    Also if Scott hasn't been coming across as pretty marginalized to the overall narrative already. He isn't getting much, what he does get hasn't shown any follow through, making the end result of his role on Krakoa as a step above background wallpaper.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Also if Scott hasn't been coming across as pretty marginalized to the overall narrative already. He isn't getting much, what he does get hasn't shown any follow through, making the end result of his role on Krakoa as a step above background wallpaper.

Yea that's the other thing, he gets like little scraps of storylines that aren't really his, they are just a cog in moving a bigger story forward (Mutants having the cheat code to death) there was no depth to his Captain krakoa era, which, could have been little more substantial then it was, or at least have had show more conflict with the Treehouse Leaders (Scott and Jean) and the Quiet Council. There's none of it, none of that is explored at all. It'll probably happen eventually but the cracks could have been "dinted in" a bit earlier to the story I guess, or just done more concrete so we have some idea how they are clashing with the council.

Guess I'm asking for too much.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

For the life of me, I don't get this reasoning. Gillen unironically wrote Beast as the heroic prophet and Cyclops as the delusional villain. His UXM run was basically Scott trying to do his job while getting sabotaged/trolled from all sides and concluded with a child-abusing, mass-murdering POS basically breaking the Fourth Wall and going "Ah ah, you suck!" Gillen's long term plans were for Emma to stab Scott in the back, taking everything/everyone away from him and leave him in a ditch.

If anything, last week's passive-aggressive and hilariously *unnecessary* display serve as clear indication he's still pissed off he had to wear that Cyclops Was Right t-shirt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    For the life of me, I don't get this reasoning. Gillen unironically wrote Beast as the heroic prophet and Cyclops as the delusional villain. His UXM run was basically Scott trying to do his job while getting sabotaged/trolled from all sides and concluded with a child-abusing, mass-murdering POS basically breaking the Fourth Wall and going "Ah ah, you suck!" Gillen's long term plans were for Emma to stab Scott in the back, taking everything/everyone away from him and leave him in a ditch.

If anything, last week's passive-aggressive and hilariously *unnecessary* display serve as clear indication he's still pissed off he had to wear that Cyclops Was Right t-shirt.
    I don't know, I think sometimes writers who like a character can sometimes put them through the wringer, and it could've been to make people sympathize with his plight I guess, because I really loved his writing of him in AVX: Consequences (I don't know why that title was slipping me) but, that's after his whole run and whatnot. And I thought Scott came out great in that, I mean don't get me wrong, he's been pretty non existent in this crossover for the most part. Though I don't think it's some slight from Gillen, he's just able to write other characters this time around.

I could be dead ass wrong though so who knows.
    Last edited by Neocide; 09-25-2022 at 02:29 PM.

I don't know, I think sometimes writers who like a character can sometimes put them through the wringer, and it could've been to make people sympathize with his plight I guess, because I really loved his writing of him in AVX: Consequences (I don't know why that title was slipping me) but, that's after his whole run and whatnot. And I thought Scott came out great in that, I mean don't get me wrong, he's been pretty non existent in this crossover for the most part. Though I don't think it's some slight from Gillen, he's just able to write other characters this time around.

I could be dead ass wrong though so who knows.
    If Gillen had bothered hinting at an actual Cyclops/Exodus battlefield bromance or whatever, we wouldn't even have this conversation. Nah, something slightly more sinister is going on and it is freakin' hilarious.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I'm not too surprised by anything Gillen did or hasn't done. His main interest in Scott, per interviews, was due to the boundaries he pushed morally as a hero. He doesn't have that now, so there probably wasn't much interest. I could have done without that comment with Nightcrawler, however. I completely agree there.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Can't believe no one's joked about a totally-necessary-to-the-event's-narrative "epic" Jean/Logan moment being thrown in next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Can't believe no one's joked about a totally-necessary-to-the-event's-narrative "epic" Jean/Logan moment being thrown in next issue.
    Yeah it was disgusting to see Gillen is one of those other Wolverine power fantasy fanboys. He had zero business being in that issue.

How do people feel about Scott's role as a leader in this story? He and Jean are co-captains of the X-men but he's taking a back seat to her. He is more of a field leader on the ground level whereas she is more of a global leader acting like a liason between all the teams and leading the main charge

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

He had a few fun moments, but nothing important in this story- which is what happened since Krakoa started.

In this setup, Cyclops is neutered and he and Jean are interchangeable: every major action he took she could have taken and usually did together with him, which is one of the reasons why the relationship is a terrible idea- people that want them together are relying on nostalgia or projecting themselves in their relationship, but any good romance in fiction works better on differences (of course, with characters with similarities enough for the relationship to be believable).

Hickman clearly set up the family structure and the poly relationship to blow it all up on political differences, but that was aborted, so Scott went nowhere since Krakoa started. The natural move would he eventually grow up frustrated with the antics of Xavier, Sinister, etc, and become aggressive, but Marvel's editors are traumatized about the Right!Clops so that won't happen, and I don't expect a lot to change any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    How do people feel about Scott's role as a leader in this story? He and Jean are co-captains of the X-men but he's taking a back seat to her. He is more of a field leader on the ground level whereas she is more of a global leader acting like a liason between all the teams and leading the main charge
    I think it is fine for Scott to sometimes take a back seat to Jean. But I will say in Duggan's book Scott does shine imo and is shown to be a leading character and a very capable leader. I used to want Scott and Jean to just be good friends and for them both to be single. Duggan has made me a fan of them together again and I love it when they are shown to be strong characters who can operate independently of each other.

I loved the Celestial bringing up his conversation with Cyclops in today's issue. Some fans have said that Scott is a "wife guy" and there is some truth to that. I do agree with what the Celestial said.. that Scott is uneasy with Jean due to her powers and the Phoenix stuff. Scott still carries trauma from the DPS and his own phoenix related moments. It is something they share.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I think it is fine for Scott to sometimes take a back seat to Jean. But I will say in Duggan's book Scott does shine imo and is shown to be a leading character and a very capable leader. I used to want Scott and Jean to just be good friends and for them both to be single. Duggan has made me a fan of them together again and I love it when they are shown to be strong characters who can operate independently of each other.

I loved the Celestial bringing up his conversation with Cyclops in today's issue. Some fans have said that Scott is a "wife guy" and there is some truth to that. I do agree with what the Celestial said.. that Scott is uneasy with Jean due to her powers and the Phoenix stuff. Scott still carries trauma from the DPS and his own phoenix related moments. It is something they share.
    But here's the thing: they don't operate independently from each other. Everything Scott did since Krakoa started was with Jean, or something she could have done. There's no difference, no conflict or potential for growth

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    But here's the thing: they don't operate independently from each other. Everything Scott did since Krakoa started was with Jean, or something she could have done. There's no difference, no conflict or potential for growth
    I don't think that is true. They have had some independent adventures - like when Jean was in X-force and Scott was running missions in the Hickman book. That said they have worked together a lot especially since X of Swords.

When Hickman first started, people were worried about Scott because it seemed like he was back as Xavier's general and taking orders. However, I felt that Scott still had his edge especially in House of X. Since X of Swords we know that Scott doesn't see eye to eye with Xavier and along with Jean have taken matters into their own hands. Cyclops has evolved since the "Rightclops era" for sure, but he still is a strong leader and has a strong presence especially in Duggan's book.

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    Yeah it was disgusting to see Gillen is one of those other Wolverine power fantasy fanboys. He had zero business being in that issue.
    Called it, didn't I?

Just you wait until Scott thanks Steve for basically being Jesus, Kurt for making a "tough" (lol) decision and Logan for being there for Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    How do people feel about Scott's role as a leader in this story?
    Cyke was only there to talk about how awesome Steve and Jean were, that's it.