Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post

IDK, my thought was they could go the solo route with Logan, Scott, Ororo, AND Jean, to have them fill similar roles to what the Avengers' Tony, Steve, & Thor + Carol did.
    Oh, no, X-men are most definitively not Avengers. They weren't designed to be solo heroes. Logan of course is a different case (and might not even show up in the first film of the X-men, depending on how they do it), and I could see even them doing that for Storm, but not for the whole team.

Even so, Jean would be dead last, even because she has much less backstory without the Phoenix, certainly not whole 90 minutes film (or Disney + special). She's very much a candidate to have a similar fate to Wasp/Ant-Man and not be a part of the original team, if at all. Cyclops would be certain to appear because he's the leader and a character that was very poorly used in the Fox films, Beast because he brings something different to the table in appearance and being a scientist, Iceman because he's a quipster (and gay, adding diversity to the team), but Jean and Angel probably won't.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Oh, no, X-men are most definitively not Avengers. They weren't designed to be solo heroes. Logan of course is a different case (and might not even show up in the first film of the X-men, depending on how they do it), and I could see even them doing that for Storm, but not for the whole team.

Even so, Jean would be dead last, even because she has much less backstory without the Phoenix, certainly not whole 90 minutes film (or Disney + special). She's very much a candidate to have a similar fate to Wasp/Ant-Man and not be a part of the original team, if at all. Cyclops would be certain to appear because he's the leader and a character that was very poorly used in the Fox films, Beast because he brings something different to the table in appearance and being a scientist, Iceman because he's a quipster (and gay, adding diversity to the team), but Jean and Angel probably won't.
    I can possibly see angel and beast gone, (there's a lot of smart people in the mcu already and I think both could be introduced later.) As for Jean, I doubt they'd skip over an extremely integral character like her, Imo she's wildly way more popular than wasp and antman.
    Not to mention she had a focus, but it was particularly one singular focus, which is the phoenix, and I don't agree that she has much less backstory without the phoenix. Honestly I think it just adds to it, and gives her more layers if you wanted to do the phoenix thing. You could have her be the poster child for people being scared of super powered beings because of characters like Wanda, it'd give her another angle and story to play. And you can also hammer home the dumbness of women with power being corrupted by having her not have the phoenix force to be powerful.

The X-men in general are too big of names to just do things the way they did with the anvengers, which when was done only really had a few members who were super popular. While the X-men's core group has been popular for decades. And when Each of them shows up on screen people are going to lose it in some compacity or another. Hawkeye and Black widow don't do that.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Beast definitively won't be skipped. While there's plenty of geniuses in the MCU, much less so in the X-men, specially with non-human appearance, which is very important to the X-men and the metaphor. There's only Nightcrawler for that besides him, and I'm guessing they'll introduce him with Rogue, Destiny and Mystique, probably in Cap. Marvel. And non-comics readers really like Beast, because they haven't ruined him in other media like in the comics.

Is also certainly debatable if Jean is more important to X-men history as Wasp and Henry Pym to the Avengers, specially if you remove the Phoenix storyline, which they will. The fact they are already doing the Wanda goes mad with power story is also already a pretty good sign they won't do it again.

jd.jpg Judgment Day

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Beast definitively won't be skipped. While there's plenty of geniuses in the MCU, much less so in the X-men, specially with non-human appearance, which is very important to the X-men and the metaphor. There's only Nightcrawler for that besides him, and I'm guessing they'll introduce him with Rogue, Destiny and Mystique, probably in Cap. Marvel. And non-comics readers really like Beast, because they haven't ruined him in other media like in the comics.

Is also certainly debatable if Jean is more important to X-men history as Wasp and Henry Pym to the Avengers, specially if you remove the Phoenix storyline, which they will. The fact they are already doing the Wanda goes mad with power story is also already a pretty good sign they won't do it again.
    You don't have to do the mad with power angle for phoenix though, you could turn it into a god metaphor or people being afraid of a powerful woman etc, You could even flip it and have people really like her at first, but slowly start to grow scared of her the stronger she gets over the years, and not by having her lose control, but by showing how much she is capable of doing and having people freak out about one person potentially being a god. it doesn't have to be "woman going mad with power" which was what I was mentioning earlier. Also I have no doubt beast will show up, I just don't know if nixing one of your most powerful female characters is a smart move. And I can't really debate about wasp and ant man since I'm not really in that world, but I see a lot more fans going nuts over Jean being thrown out over wasp and antman who both seem to be legacy characters anyway.
    Last edited by Neocide; 02-27-2022 at 04:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    1 - Jay Edidin wrote a one-shot recently (or semi-recently) about an early Scott pre-powers, including him meeting Mr. Fantastic for the first time. Jay (from Jay and Miles X-plain the X-Men) has a legit claim to being the biggest Cyclops fan on the internet and is a great source for anything Scott. Sadly, most of Scott's early stuff is very brief, told in a page or two of flashbacks unless you want to look for fanfiction. Part of that is Claremont's initial vision for Sinister was that he was a mutant kid at the same orphanage whose power prevented him from ever growing up, and he resented Scott for actually doing so.

2 - not sure about Hidden Years, but First Class never leaves the O5 era, until Uncanny First Class takes over. That one is solidly in ANAD territory though. The O5 First Class is a very fun comic, and has spotlight stories for all 5 team members, so if you want stuff with early Bobby he is in there and doesn't get shortchanged. There's also a very well received set of Jean and Wanda shorts that end a lot of the issues, those stories are all of the heartwarming or comedic bent.

3 - my view on Krakoa Scott is in between. Not as good as I hoped (betting better recently) but nowhere near as bad as what came right before. Outside of Champions, the entire Secret Wars to Krakoa period is trash from a Cyclops-centric perspective. Most Cyclops fans regard it in a fashion similar to Claremont's handling of Lorna.

4 - no pictures to offer from my tablet, but I see Scott looking like a plain but handsome, somewhat nerdy type. The one you might pass over at first glance, but not want to look away from once you take notice. Best outfits are the dated 90s suit, the Ultimate Universe version of (about the only thing they did right with Scott), the Astonishing outfit, and his Bendis duds when the hood was down - outside of the Astonishing suit, I prefer him with his hair out. Honorable mention to the Power Ranger suit for his teen version.

5 - he's too old now, but I would have loved Clive Owen. So someone who can pull off a similar vibe.
    1 - Of course I'm disappointed to learn this, but also surprised! I could've sworn there was something more, but I will definitely check out that one-shot, it sounds good. Sinister being stuck in kid form is very... Claudia from Anne Rice's (RIP) Vampire Chronicles, and... I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's different, I'll say that.

2 - 1st Class it is then, I'll start with that, and then maybe circle back to the Hidden Years. IIRC, felt kinda mixed toward the latter when originally reading it, but we'll see. You sold me with the Bobby goodness, but I'm there for Scott, Jean/Wanda, & pretty much anything Warren, too. Per chance, would this, ummm... *loaded* scene, be from that 1st Class series?

3 - Okay, I kinda thought that's what it would be, for most of ya. And, wow, sorry I asked. Just kidding, lol, but I can't argue the sentiment. Well, it seems like they're trying to pivot, and are at least making *some* progress in the right direction recently. That issue 7, damn... it really tripped my trigger, lol, so to speak. He exudes what I've called an *effortless swagger* now, wherein he's not cocky, but just like... quietly confident, and it's EXTREMELY... attractive.

4 - "The one you might pass over at first glance, but not want to look away from once you take notice." THIS right here, that hit home, as that's what happened with more than a few of my most significant relationships. It's like you're caught off guard & whoa, how come I didn't see that before, and it just floods over you. I get it, and it's intense... and can be consuming. I'll take a look at all those outfits you mention, and also have something else to post later, that's more or less related.

5 - Speaking of *quiet intensity*... a young(er) Clive Owen, never would've guessed, but soon as I read it... I could *see* it, it made sense, and gave me new insight & a different way to look at Scott's motivations as a character. A new turn, or spin, if you will. A...
    everything you see is hardly... all there is. This is where the depth and...

complexity come in. The visor would've fit real well & looked SO GOOD!!

Then in addition to casting Scott around an ability to emote with his eyes hidden (an absolute MUST) they would do well to pair up the screen tests between Scott and Jean pairings. I never felt the first set of Fox-Men had the slightest bit of chemistry between the two (even in the few moments they were granted alone on screen together) and the time the replacements appeared I was so angry with the direction I refused to give them another moment of my time, and certainly not any of my money.
    Absolutely agree, both were okay enough on their own, but woefully mismatched when together. Just physically alone, they clashed and actually came off pretty awkward. He just felt younger & maybe even less experienced, than her. What was weird, is that same dynamic sort of carried over into their successors. Feeling fed up myself, I left comics & the X-fandom in general, right around TLS's release. Shortly after First Class (and WatXM) I was inspired enough to slowly start getting back into the books, but DoFP was more of a mixed bag for me, and after that... well, yeah, it only got worse.

I'd almost think that the intro to the X-Men should be 2 fold, or more. A film for a Logan prequel set in the past. If they can, maybe even get the Howling Commandos actors back and set it in the immediate postwar period or even the days right after Cap is lost.

But since this is the Cyclops thread, the other half is another prequel, this time a Dis+ series set up as a crime drama. Featuring Charles Xavier and Special Agent Duncan as they chase down a gang of powered jewel thieves led by Jack Winters. A gang of....marauders, you might call them. Insert various Sinister affiliated thugs, but the 2 important ones are the Red Queen, and an unpowered teenager who they think does the actual planning known only as the Basilisk - one glance is enough for him to destroy any system of security.

I'm taking some inspiration from a What If? story called What If Mr. Sinister Formed the X-Men? Like in that story, Maddie isn't home, but is puppeted by Malice. She is the carrot Sinister is using to control Scott in conjunction with the physical abuse from Jack. I'm undecided on how much older Maddie is than Scott, but in a later movie/show the Malice reveal will hit and will, in Scott's mind at least (since we need some unjustified self loathing to keep him in character) will flip the script from him being her victim to her being his - yes, in reality they are both victims of Sinister but Scott needs a cross to bear, and it sets up a return for Maddie at a later date to settle what she thinks is a real reason to hate someone.

Along the way Xavier and Duncan discover Scott isn't exactly a willing participant, setting up the climax of a final job where Scott's powers start to manifest. I think it's important to his story to claim what appears to be 2 casualties - Maddie and Jack. Story ends with Scott being taken in by Charles and Duncan covering that part up.

Possible story beats include the final job being for a group calling itself the Inner Circle, and young Scott meeting a girl his age who can see the controlling abuse. The price she convinces her group to demand is Scott himself - Emma hopes to use him later to free herself (and him) from the Inner Circle's control.
    A WILD amalgam, gotta say. NGL, had to look this guy up, but when I did...

The Life & Tragedies of Scott Summers Part 3: Cyclops, The Bad Dad

BOOM, I found THIS... to be nothing short of REVELATORY! It's in THAT 1st IMAGE, which I frustratingly tried to post but couldn't, and his opening line of:

I'M STILL ALONE... MORE THAN EVER! (then ending with)... NOBODY CAN HELP ME NOW! NOBODY!
    that's when it *dawned* on me... it's his VULNERABILITY! Which led me to concluding it's the same reason why I've always liked his animated Evo incarnation best, outside of the comics. Guess I've just never really been able to put my finger on it, before. Anyway, can anybody tell me where & what issue that panel comes from? Because I'm VERY eager to read it, in its entirety. Also, his childhood memories, of the crash, Alex, his orphanage abuse trauma... did he ever get any of them back in full and if so, when? This is key to something I'm weaving together in my head, regarding his relationship with Bobby.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 02-27-2022 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RadarBlackout View Post
    jd.jpg Judgment Day
    Beautiful art as expected. I just hope the story is good, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

The writer of that really gets one thing wrong - Hank's beef with Scott started over something personal during Dark Reign. Hank risked the plan everyone's lives were depending on to go rescue 'Xavier' from Osbourne's clutches, only to be caught and learn it was really Mystique all along. And got himself tortured to boot, for doing something he was warned was a bad idea. And has hated Scott ever since for not dropping everything, and risking everything to save him from his own arrogance. Plus, the fact that he was proven wrong might add some fuel to that fire. Everything Scott has done ever since that moment has been interpreted by Hank in the worst possible light.
    Oh, I have nothing good to say about that *beastly* bastard. And it's not just about now, either, but maybe even *more so*... from reading some of the early issues! His regular ridiculing of Bobby really burned my ass. Then I started noticing it in the later animated adaptions, too, and how it all actually borders on verbal abuse. So bad in fact, it's almost infuriating me as I'm remembering some of it, typing now. This scene right here, was when my thoughts on the dynamic between the 4 1st X-boys shifted, in favor of Scott being the one who treated Bobby best...

who cared for... and looked out for him... most. And I think Bobby liked that more than just a little bit, somebody who he looked up to & *secretly*... wants to be like, returning those feelings in the form of not just guidance, but a genuine *bonding* of loyalty & protectiveness. 2 of my favorite things are Bobby calling him "SCOTTY" & him referring to Bobby as "SON"... *sigh*... they're so bro-mantic 2gether, lol. And while Warren teased him a lot & could be seen as dismissive sometimes, he was also very tender with him, too. That other sorry sack, though, there's always a... spitefulness, in their words. I've already said it's pretty plausible Bobby had/has undiagnosed ADHD, and now think he could even have an inferiority complex, thanks in large part to that mean-spirited monster's smug sneering.

Can't come soon enough, you blue furry prick.

Speaking of, unfortunately for Scott, as exhibited above... unlike his buddy Bobby, the X-ladies always seem to have it in for him hardcore, for some reason. Perhaps it's that whole ultimate phallic symbol schtick he's got going on, with the condom-like skullcap & innuendo-laced nickname(s). Luckily, he can take it, he's a big boy... in all respects.

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    I was thinking about this earlier... who do you think is Scotts best friend?

Emma and Jean do not count.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    It sure as heck aint Wolverine.

I guess Synch is his new BF.
    BUT, given my *investment*... IT'S...

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    It used to be Warren or Bobby. He seemed to also have a pretty nice rapport with Storm during Gillen's run til AvX ruined everything. I thought we might see things develop between him and Kurt after the Crucible issue of Hickman's run, but then COVID happened, lol.

It'd be nice if him and Ev bonding isn't thrown out if/when one of them leaves the team.
    Agreed, they're building a nice rapport, and it'd suck if they don't keep tending to it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    Yet another reason for Scott to ditch the condom suit and free his hair. I dig the suit as well.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

One very in depth Scott Summers character study, starting from the very first appearance and currently working forward in publishing order to have reached the build up to the original Inferno (so far)...

https://allieandfiction.com/

Disclaimer - the writer is NOT a fan of Jean as a romantic interest for Scott, being very open about their preference for Emma.
    Dark does not mean deep.

1ED8936C-516A-4389-8185-B2A396F24FD5.jpg

Greatest x-men panel ever

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    What is going on here?

I like this Hellfire outfit for Scott more:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    Oh, so we're getting variants where everybody is Spider-Man...