Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I don't think that is true. They have had some independent adventures - like when Jean was in X-force and Scott was running missions in the Hickman book. That said they have worked together a lot especially since X of Swords.

When Hickman first started, people were worried about Scott because it seemed like he was back as Xavier's general and taking orders. However, I felt that Scott still had his edge especially in House of X. Since X of Swords we know that Scott doesn't see eye to eye with Xavier and along with Jean have taken matters into their own hands. Cyclops has evolved since the "Rightclops era" for sure, but he still is a strong leader and has a strong presence especially in Duggan's book.
    Scott didn't do anything very meaningful on these missions or that actually caused major changes though. And again, pretty much everything he did important is something he did with Jean or something she clearly could have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    But here's the thing: they don't operate independently from each other. Everything Scott did since Krakoa started was with Jean, or something she could have done. There's no difference, no conflict or potential for growth
    It seems to me that is exactly what is trying to be shown.

After years, Scott and Jean are at a point in their relationship where they are a strong and united married couple who share the same ideas about how the X-Men should behave and eventually become a countermeasure to the Council. And that's fine with me, I don't know a fan of the couple who particularly wants to see conflict or drama just to attract readers.

And for Cyclops, he begins the Krakoa era by being the good soldier who accepts missions from Prof X and Magneto to get to a point where he no longer wishes to receive direct orders from the Council. Nothing mind-blowing but still significant.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

The characters are supposed to be independent and have their own thoughts, though, not be interchangeable. If you look at, say, Reed and Sue, you see a couple (when written well at least) that can work together, but have clear distinct voices, and natural sources of conflict that are realistic in any relationship. Scott and Jean have none of that
    Maybe it's fine for people who project themselves in the relationship to see the perfect couple that never disagrees and think the same things and are 100% in sync, but for anyone it's just boring and adds nothing to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The characters are supposed to be independent and have their own thoughts, though, not be interchangeable. If you look at, say, Reed and Sue, you see a couple (when written well at least) that can work together, but have clear distinct voices, and natural sources of conflict that are realistic in any relationship. Scott and Jean have none of that
    Maybe it's fine for people who project themselves in the relationship to see the perfect couple that never disagrees and think the same things and are 100% in sync, but for anyone it's just boring and adds nothing to the character.
    It's your take, not necessarily the reality and certainly not those of all the comic book readers in the world.

Jean's presence and her characterization are really strong imo. Cyclops is rather recognizable even if more passive than in another era.

The Jott who share their doubts and comfort each other like in the Hellfire gala #2 seems to me to be a very good approach for the couple. And no, I don't project myself into them. And maybe some or many do it but thats fine, everyone has their reasons for liking what they like.

Fantastic Member

After reading AXE: X-men I'm convinced (More so convinced myself lol) Scott knew this all would happen and that a pissed off Jean would be the last thing the celestial would want to F"#$ with. He doesn't need to be the mouth piece Cap is or the powerhouse that Jean is, He's still a tactical Genius

And I think Scott and Jean have a bit differing of opinions and have always had, they haven't been shown that so much in this era because (imo) of the general feeling this part of Scott's life has been, his people are safe and not on the verge of death, his family (was) all together again and he got to be a super hero, and the only real conflict has been with the council, which he and Jean share the same opinion on. There hasn't been many different situations where they even would have need to disagree, maybe with the Resurrection protocols and the captain Krakoa stuff, but for the most part there didn't seem too many reasons to be disagreeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Neocide View Post
    After reading AXE: X-men I'm convinced (More so convinced myself lol) Scott knew this all would happen and that a pissed off Jean would be the last thing the celestial would want to F"#$ with. He doesn't need to be the mouth piece Cap is or the powerhouse that Jean is, He's still a tactical Genius

And I think Scott and Jean have a bit differing of opinions and have always had, they haven't been shown that so much in this era because (imo) of the general feeling this part of Scott's life has been, his people are safe and not on the verge of death, his family (was) all together again and he got to be a super hero, and the only real conflict has been with the council, which he and Jean share the same opinion on. There hasn't been many different situations where they even would have need to disagree, maybe with the Resurrection protocols and the captain Krakoa stuff, but for the most part there didn't seem too many reasons to be disagreeable.
    Scott and Jean have disagreed in this era, remember about Alex when he was being punished by the council and Jean had to kind of scold Scott. This was in Hellions I believe. It wasn't anything too major but there it was. I love both Scott and Jean. I think they are awesome characters with a very rich history. I preferred them apart for many years because I felt their relationship hurt Jean (which is odd to see some fans claiming the opposite, but alas the internet) but I have made peace with them being back together. I think their relationship has been handled well.

Cyclops is a strong character and leader. Duggan does well with his voice (look at his scenes with Sinister or his scenes with Synch or Magik). This version of Scott is confident and knows who he is imo. He knows his place in the world and he was the one who made a tough call with the journalist about the resurrection process. Scott still plays a very vital and important role.

Also not that we need reminding but while his powers are quite different from Jean's he too is a powerhouse. His powers may not be as versatile but he's definitely formidable.

I think Scott is in a good place and he's still a major figure in the Xbooks. I think we'll continue to see some conflict between Scott and Jean's X-men and the Quiet Council.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Scott and Jean have disagreed in this era, remember about Alex when he was being punished by the council and Jean had to kind of scold Scott. This was in Hellions I believe. It wasn't anything too major but there it was. I love both Scott and Jean. I think they are awesome characters with a very rich history. I preferred them apart for many years because I felt their relationship hurt Jean (which is odd to see some fans claiming the opposite, but alas the internet) but I have made peace with them being back together. I think their relationship has been handled well.

Cyclops is a strong character and leader. Duggan does well with his voice (look at his scenes with Sinister or his scenes with Synch or Magik). This version of Scott is confident and knows who he is imo. He knows his place in the world and he was the one who made a tough call with the journalist about the resurrection process. Scott still plays a very vital and important role.

Also not that we need reminding but while his powers are quite different from Jean's he too is a powerhouse. His powers may not be as versatile but he's definitely formidable.

I think Scott is in a good place and he's still a major figure in the Xbooks. I think we'll continue to see some conflict between Scott and Jean's X-men and the Quiet Council.
    I forgot about the stuff in Hellions, you're right. I also did prefer them apart when she first came back, thought it'd be only fair for her to explore life without Scott the same way he got to. I mean she did but it was very brief and then they threw her into another romantic storyline with bishop. Then they're married again. I'll always love them together, but I just wanted a long journey to that and let them both come to terms with the past stuff and have it all out before they finally realize they want to be together.

And yes, he's in a good place in story I suppose. He'll always be a major player because he's cyclops whether that's just because he's our Captain America insert or because he's actually doing things. Like I've said before, I'm perfectly fine with him taking a back seat to Jean (and others) being a more prominent focus, she def deserves it. I just want him to just be around more things because duh I'm a fan lol.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Solicitations for Dark X-Men #3. Not like some of us called it back in late 2019 or anything.

"And Madelyne Pryor's complex place within the Summers family results in a dramatic confrontation that will go down in X-Men history in Gerry Duggan and Rod Reis' DARK WEB: X-MEN #3! When Jean Grey returned from the dead, Scott Summers left his wife and child to be with her. The fact that she was revealed to be a clone of Jean didn't make her feel any better. Maybe the cold sting of revenge can?"

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Solicitations for Dark X-Men #3. Not like some of us called it back in late 2019 or anything.

"And Madelyne Pryor's complex place within the Summers family results in a dramatic confrontation that will go down in X-Men history in Gerry Duggan and Rod Reis' DARK WEB: X-MEN #3! When Jean Grey returned from the dead, Scott Summers left his wife and child to be with her. The fact that she was revealed to be a clone of Jean didn't make her feel any better. Maybe the cold sting of revenge can?"
    Yeah, not surprising. I still don't feel like anything good will come out of this. It's the same old thing.

Can't say I have any hope in Duggan, either. His Scott still feels quite generic. I guess nothing really came out of the council revelation or Vulcan's regression. AXE really killed any of the momentum from the Gala issue.

----- -------
    It's a bit late but, for the above discussion with Jean and Scott. I feel like their relationship comes off too surface level. Most of their interactions lack depth and don't do much to strengthen their bond. I don't think they need to have more interactions, they just need more depth and purpose. I like them together, but if they are going to have meaningful interactions with everyone but themselves, why even bother having them in a relationship. I feel like Wolverine has had more in-depth moments with Jean in this era and Scott has had much more important interactions with Emma. To me, that says a lot about the writer focus.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 10-10-2022 at 03:21 AM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Yeah, not surprising. I still don't feel like anything good will come out of this. It's the same old thing.

Can't say I have any hope in Duggan, either. His Scott still feels quite generic. I guess nothing really came out of the council revelation or Vulcan's regression. AXE really killed any of the momentum from the Gala issue.

----- -------
    It's a bit late but, for the above discussion with Jean and Scott. I feel like their relationship comes off too surface level. Most of their interactions lack depth and don't do much to strengthen their bond. I don't think they need to have more interactions, they just need more depth and purpose. I like them together, but if they are going to have meaningful interactions with everyone but themselves, why even bother having them in a relationship. I feel like Wolverine has had more in-depth moments with Jean in this era and Scott has had much more important interactions with Emma. To me, that says a lot about the writer focus.
    Don't know, their moments in the begining of the Hellfire gala #2 was the most important interaction they had with any other characters imo.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post

There's a part of me that's hoping that this is tied more to the QC vote not to resurrect her, and not Scott's entry into the Worst Husband list. Because the QC -- of which Jean was a member -- voting against resurrecting her would be more a slap in the face than anything, and I can see consequences stemming from that. And if Jean voted against bringing her back, and honestly Scott's heartless way of telling Alex, yeah then...that could be an interesting angle.

For me, my main issue with them in the Hickman Era is that we were told they were together and that was that. And for some fans, I'm sure that was fine. As someone who started reading in the '00s, I needed more? Because Jott, to me, aren't this great epic romance. They were together and love one another, and they hurt one another, and that's where the story ended. I needed buy in or some sign of growth. But we don't see that, so I'm like...okay? And as you said, they have more interesting and in-depth interactions with their other romantic partners.

Fantastic Member

Y
    ----- -------
    It's a bit late but, for the above discussion with Jean and Scott. I feel like their relationship comes off too surface level. Most of their interactions lack depth and don't do much to strengthen their bond..
    I agree with you. Haven't read X Men for years but there doesn't seem to be a deep connection for years. Maybe it depends on the writer. ---Thought Maddie got the short shift when she was made the villain in Inferno.

--jthree

All this Madeline talk made me ask: What if Scott sometimes confuses Maddy and Jean?

Like, he and Jean are choosing a something to watch on Netflix, she suggests a movie and Scott is like "We already watched it" and she is like "No, we didn't" and he slowly realises he watched it with Madeline?

I just think it would be really funny.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    All this Madeline talk made me ask: What if Scott sometimes confuses Maddy and Jean?

Like, he and Jean are choosing a something to watch on Netflix, she suggests a movie and Scott is like "We already watched it" and she is like "No, we didn't" and he slowly realises he watched it with Madeline?

I just think it would be really funny.
    LOL That happens with normal ex's it being Jean's clone would be even worse for Scott. What's probably worse is they probably discuss which movie to watch over telepathy, and when Scott's thinking of when he watched said movie and an ex pops in his head, he def get a scolding from the ol' wifey lol.

----- -------
    I agree with the relationship being very "surface level" right now, I mean they've had some intimate moments during the gala,but how they were always in each others hubris in the 90's? that's gone for the most part, and I think for the better. I def agree with the Logan and Emma part, I've seen them way more emotional with the others. I think I might just be them taking for granted that the two are together and telling us their married is enough without any sort of development to how they reconciled. I think eventually we'll get a writer who delves more into their full relationship.

On a side note I'd thought it'd be interesting with this new era if Scott decided to take a small team and start exploring un terraformed planets to like expand mutants, and once he and his team finds one he can call in the big guns to make the world (you can toss out Erik for Lorna since he's gone now) I'd really like to see Scott back in space exploring stuff. Would be cool, and you can Give Jean the X-men fully with her making guest appearances via long distance rapport until she goes cosmic again and Joins Scott. I'd have Ororo guest star too since she's Got Arrako, and I don't think space has been explored enough since that first new mutants arc. Honestly outside of the normal X-team I think he'd work best in space.
    Last edited by Neocide; 10-11-2022 at 07:10 AM.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Just throwing out there for those who were discussing the Scott/Jean, but both Scott and Jean's judgments ended up being about Jean because of course. Totally how healthy relationships work, lol.

Anyway. Anyone else got Fraction flashbacks when Scott unloaded that hilarious OOC 'brain damage' line on Alex? He's Cyclops. There's no need for an actual monthly joke quota.