Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I am not sure what you are talking about. Was there some kind of preview? All I know comes from the solicit, Thor is gone, Loki is in charge of Asgard in his absence, Sif is injured, and the hammer goes to Jane, or something like that.
    Apparently sif threw the hammer to her https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jane...-1-first-look/.

As for what I'm talking about. I'm talking about these. I think they're called a preview too?

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...ty_thor_2022_1

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/...ty_thor_2022_2

Not sure if the 'Jane foster and odin' part refers to her and Odin as in she can hear him or she's unaware he's inside it. now that I think about it. But it sounds like she magically does.

Thor has a stone brain I swear, like if this is actually his stand point. Like you're seeing change it's hitting you in face just use that brain of yours to work and get it over with.

I'm guessing it means she can hear Odin in the hammer.

As for why they go to Dr Voodoo, my guess is it's because Loki is otherwise occupied in Asgard. He's on the throne in Thor's absence, (this is likely what that tease in Valkyries was referring to) so it is his responsibility, especially with Sif injured, to repel the attack by Enchantress/Ulik etc. He can't be running around looking for Thor when Asgard is being attacked, his place is in Asgard, defending it. I mean, this would also be Thor's place, but I'm guessing there was more to his absence than him running off, even if he is prone to that kind of behaviour lately. So Mjolnir/Odin and Jane get the objective to find Thor, while Loki holds down the fort (literally) in Asgard. That, or they do not trust him, think this is another Loki power grab. And while I can see them playing up this as a possibility in the story, I can't see why he would do that, just to have all the other usual suspects of enemies of Asgard (We can see Dark Elves in Sif's eyes, Enchantress and The Hood talking, and it mentions Ulik and Hela) promptly attack. It doesn't make sense, that would end up making all these baddies look weirdly sympathetic and heroic if they were kinda deposing an unlawful power grab. It makes more sense for this group of baddies to be behind Thor being missing, trying to weaken Asgard by removing it's leader before they attack it, and then Loki, being next in line for the Throne, since Thor has no children and all, takes control to hold them off. It might be that while he can hold them off, they still need Thor to fully defeat them.

Okay, just so that I get this straight, since there might be confusion here, there is only ONE Loki in #24/750, right?

Just ONE Loki, at two different parts of their story. There is barefoot Loki, from just after AoA (the very brief God of Stories era) and there is present day Loki, but they're absolutely, definitely the same Loki. I thought that was made super explicit with the Dickens Rules, "I'm the past" stuff, right? Looks like Barefoot Loki took a little jaunt into Defenders: Beyond, but that story, as far as Loki is concerned, already happened. Maybe we'll get some more definite resolution to the God of Stories thread, but Barefoot Loki isn't a branch, they're an untold story of the past just like everything else in the issue, except for the present at Odin's funeral, right?

Also, I want to talk about this:

He loosed the arrow. And I think that by the tricksiness of degrees and prophecies and the fact that Odin is "alive," Loki may have just become the heir. But aside from that, that bow and arrow sure seem to be an All-Weapon. It contains a sort of blessing from all the realms and all the important players, and if this is going the way it seems to be going (that Odin is no longer an end-all, be-all, and therefore no one is, because no one should have been?) then maybe the bow is the sort of weapon of office for a warrior of consent or consensus?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanto.mx View Post
    Okay, just so that I get this straight, since there might be confusion here, there is only ONE Loki in #24/750, right?
    Apparently, yes.
    Other members might correct me, but when AoA was over, other writers weren't eager to continue the God of Stories thing. It just didn't fit Thor's plot. So it seems that there was a sort of a convention: okay, now Loki is a younger and a better person, but he didn't disappear through the door in reality and he doesn't have any special new powers. (I guess Ewing will have to explain that after travelling through that door, Loki returned to his main timeline - sounds like Doctor Who, but I know Ewing is a fan).
    Similarly, if you look at the artwork in the books that appeared after AoA, it's somehow inconsistent. Some artists still draw Loki as a boy, while others are more inspired by his God of Stories looks, with stubble, torn clothes etc.

I think he did disappear through that door. It's just we will now see where/when he went in Defenders. And then after Defenders, Loki will presumably go back to right after Secret Wars, and things continue from there on as we have seen. I do think Aaron wasn't terribly keen on the God of Stories thing, (probably more the fact that his memory/history had essentially been erased, and ties to his family severed, since Aaron's take on Loki relied on that history and on family) and I personally still think the implied powers would have made Loki WAAAAY too powerful to do stories with, so Aaron kinda just... skipped things forward, and we had to fill in the blanks a bit how Loki went from point A to point B. But it was strongly implied as things went on that things didn't work out as he had hoped. We may see how things got from A to B now, instead of having to just kind of fill in the gaps. Or maybe Ewing won't bridge the gap and we will still need to fill in the gaps ourselves guess we'll find out.

As for his appearance, I mean, artists tend to put their own spin on things, which is probably where a lot of the inconsistency comes from. But I think the unshaven thing, long hair, and torn coat were there as a way to show he wasn't mentally very healthy right then, depressed that declaring himself something new hadn't worked, and he was still tied to his old role by fate. That it lined up with the God of Stories coat was one of the things that did work out, i guess! But he could clean himself up when needed, like in Vote Loki. I think he's doing better now, so he got a fresh coat, hair cut, (I personally preferred it long tho...) started shaving again...

Quote Originally Posted by Fanto.mx View Post
    Also, I want to talk about this:

He loosed the arrow. And I think that by the tricksiness of degrees and prophecies and the fact that Odin is "alive," Loki may have just become the heir. But aside from that, that bow and arrow sure seem to be an All-Weapon. It contains a sort of blessing from all the realms and all the important players, and if this is going the way it seems to be going (that Odin is no longer an end-all, be-all, and therefore no one is, because no one should have been?) then maybe the bow is the sort of weapon of office for a warrior of consent or consensus?
    Well, I think other-Loki was talking about loosing the arrow in a bad way, but... Yeah, I think that bow is probably really significant. I was kind of picturing a sword for Loki, I guess cus he's used one before, but I think a bow could work as well, especially with magic arrows or something. But yeah, the wording kinda says this is foreshadowing of him becoming king, but how it was given to him by Thor kinda says it's more like Loki's Mjolnir. If it even sticks around past this issue, i guess, it may just have been a one time thing. But I hope it sticks around!

Mm, I know I'll be splitting hairs, but I still think that his shaven/unshaven looks depend on the artists' preferences - or, possibly, their inclination to go on either with the Agent or with the God of Stories. I don't think it's the case of Loki's mental instability.

For example, In War of the Realms/Thor, when Loki is drawn by Russel Dauterman, his coat is torn, he's got stubble and he looks older, but when Mike del Mundo takes the lead, Loki is boyish again, even though it's the same Loki and his condition must be pretty much the same.

In The God Who Fell to Earth, Loki is young and hip, while in Vote Loki, God of Magic, Infinity Wars and in current Thor volumes, he looks like a man in his forties, who, in, most cases, still wears a torn coat and stubble.

While the coat seems to be the God of Stories feature, I sometimes think that his stubble might be a nod to Tom Hiddleston's looks. Dauterman, at least, was definitely modelling his Loki after Hiddleston who then looked scruffy and - naturally - older. (It's interesting to compare this variant to Teen Loki in Young Avengers, where he's based on Loki from the first Thor movie).
    Last edited by Yoruno; 05-09-2022 at 09:32 AM.

Del Mundo did draw him as unshaven, just in a different way (used shading rather than the weird looking individual hairs Dauterman used) and the rest is just variation on how the face is drawn, which does very a lot from artist to artist. And i mean, he's gotta shave once in a while or it would go past stubble. It was just infrequent. I don't think the apparent age is in any way relevant to the depression, that's just artist stuff, (love Lee Garbett, but he kinda has a handful of faces he uses for everything, Loki included) but superficial things like the torn clothes, hair, and stubble I think were. And then as soon as he broke free of fate, he seemed happier and cleaned up. I think it's a nice touch of storytelling through smaller details.

And everything past hte end of War of the Realms, this doesn't apply, because he was doing better after that.

Okay, it makes sense.

I've been thinking recently where else I saw Thor trying to manipulate Loki (no, not the Ragnarok movie!) Then I remembered there was a scene in Thors aka Secret Wars where Thor is interrogating Loki and decides to play the good cop, desperately asking for Loki's help. It was ten years ago... time passes, yet Thor never changes.

yeah, though that was Battleworld Thor (one of them) and Loki. Thor also kinda did that in the Hel arc of Aaron's run. I think Thor can be a bit oblivious sometimes, but he's spent like a couple thousand years with Loki, I guess he's learned something in all that time! But i think Thor being kind of slow to adapt to changes means he still treats Loki like old school Loki, and this kind of tactic may become less effective

Amazing Member

Honestly after more thought about Jane's Story they might actually be going to tie the story of strange academy with the whole thing. Probably might be why they moved the release date of strange academy issue 18 to july. They might go to the school and find it trashed because the preview images has the students looking like they're gonna attack both zelma and doctor voodoo.

It's very funny how Loki easily adopts to any where and anything main while it takes Thor ages to adopt in fact he might never adopt. Like Loki spent what? Two years more or less on earth and he knows way too many things about earth. He even knows how to hack. Main while Thor legit spent half of his life on earth yet he still don't even know how to use social media.

On another note appeartly on pride month we're getting Loki in two stories inside marvel voices : pride issue.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=164855014

Teddy and America looks abit scared which is scaring me because something bad is gonna happen or going to. this might be a call back to the month thing and David and tommy (possibly even Loki) got kidnapped or something.

Also Thor my beloved lesbians protecter. It's so cute that he's dancing with his lesbian sister.
    Last edited by Emoandlazy; 05-13-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Well, most trickster figures in mythology, including Loki, represent change. Their purpose in the story is to drag everyone else along the path of progress, whether they like it or not. (usually not) Loki, Coyote, Anansi, Hermes, Prometheus... this is probably why they are also often (but not always) shapeshifters. Tricksters ARE change. So in that sense, it's not surprising at all that Loki would be more forward looking and adapt to new situations fairly easily. But tradition has usually suited Thor pretty well, because tradition had to that he was the hero of the story, and heir to the throne, why would he want to shake that up? But I think he liked being the heir a lot more than actually inheriting the throne.

that's cool about Loki being in 2 stories! Kind of sounds like he's not really the central focus of either one, the first one is more about Runa, and the other more about the Young Avengers as a group, but... still, it should be fun.

Amazing Member

Honestly I'm more worried the story being too about Loki in the young avengers reunion, because the writer said that it was a Loki story and she seems obsessed with Loki .The last time we had a writer being obsessed with Loki we got the young Avengers Vol 2. It was was fun and all but like I kinda wished tommy and David, wasn't kinda useless the entire story like seriously remove them from the story and nothing would change expect them going to save tommy and Loki stealing Billy's power then feeling bad and giving them back.

Well the page shown is Billy, Teddy, and America, so... I mean at least part of it won't have him.

btw. I read the first issue of the Banner of War crossover, and no Loki so far. Also a lot funnier than either Thor or Hulk have been so far. Thor and Hulk have both been trending towards tragedy but this... just a big stupid fight with a lot of humor layered on top. A lot closer to Cosmic Ghost Rider in tone as far as Cates' stuff goes. It was fun. I hope Loki shows up in the Thor bits. But hopefully not if he's the magical help Banner got. (tho even that could be spun in a sort of 'oops' kind of way)

Amazing Member

Part of me don't think Loki is going to appear in the hulk vs Thor bits.