Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Well, most trickster figures in mythology, including Loki, represent change. Their purpose in the story is to drag everyone else along the path of progress, whether they like it or not. (usually not) Loki, Coyote, Anansi, Hermes, Prometheus... this is probably why they are also often (but not always) shapeshifters. Tricksters ARE change. So in that sense, it's not surprising at all that Loki would be more forward looking and adapt to new situations fairly easily. But tradition has usually suited Thor pretty well, because tradition had to that he was the hero of the story, and heir to the throne, why would he want to shake that up? But I think he liked being the heir a lot more than actually inheriting the throne.

that's cool about Loki being in 2 stories! Kind of sounds like he's not really the central focus of either one, the first one is more about Runa, and the other more about the Young Avengers as a group, but... still, it should be fun.
    This is basically it for me, too. Loki is a trickster, just different flavors of it, and Thor is the heir (up until Odin's "death"...but even there, he may still be more the heir than the king in his own head?). The heir's job is a conservative one. Save things. Prevent things. Preserve things. The trickster's job is -- well, not quite progressive. At the biggest scales, it's progressive, moving things forward and making them better or easier, but at the smaller scales it can be anything from BURN THE PAST to here's a little trick I like to play to ςђค๏ร เร єครץ. The job IS change. I know Marvel has greatly diverged from the myths, to the point where they are more or less superfluous, but most of the items of power come from a Loki scheme. Mjolnir, Sleipnir, Hela, Jormungandr, Fenris, Baldur's death, Tyr's hand...the list goes on. And some of these bled over into Marvel.

And since Cates took over, I think this has been a primary undercurrent, though it was there basically since Siege, in smaller ways. Loki using a cell phone. Thor not understanding Midgard technology. Loki being explicitly non-binary or genderfluid. Thor being pretty defensive of his masculinity. And of course, since Cates, Thor smashing things with his own head and refusing to listen to others because he explicitly refuses any change that isn't part of the Plan.

And, of course, Thor fears the future, while Loki fears the past.

Amazing Member

Spoliers for Thor issue #25 but also not really if you know Norse mythology which obviously most if not all of us know.

Marvel keeps proving me wrong about how Loki can dress. I never thought of Loki as the wearing a dress kind of queer but yet here we are,I never thought Loki would be the wearing no shirt kind of person either. I don't know I always thought Loki isn't comfortable with showing skin because like he used to be always over dressed.

And the "Oh, I'm sorry. You thought I would let you out shine me? Everyone knows I'm the pretty one" line holy ****, clam down sis this isn't a beauty pageant contest XD.

In the version of the myth I read Loki shapeshifted into a woman and he/she didn't really have to go in the first place.

Hmmm. The thing is that a few months ago Jim Henson's comics adapted this myth, too, and I guess I prefer their version to this one.

I thought it was cute, there are some obvious continuity problems, (Angela was there.... how?) but I don't think it's really meant to be in continuity, so whatever.

But what I found interesting wasn't so much the story itself, but the title page before the backup stories. For the wedding story the intro blurb said "by a team possibly from this title's epic future!" Which may mean nothing, it did just say 'possibly' but may also be hinting at a spinoff (since I doubt Donny Cates really did leave the book to go follow MCR around Pretty sure Donny's here for a while yet) I mean, they could have just said they were new to writing Thor without hinting at them being on the book in the future. If they are going to do a Thor spinoff, and I would hope it is a Loki spinoff, cus, you know, everything, I could definitely live with this creative team, especially the writer, as long as she sticks to the continuity more in the present day when doing a for realsies story. Art... not so sold on, but it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanto.mx View Post
    This is basically it for me, too. Loki is a trickster, just different flavors of it, and Thor is the heir (up until Odin's "death"...but even there, he may still be more the heir than the king in his own head?). The heir's job is a conservative one. Save things. Prevent things. Preserve things. The trickster's job is -- well, not quite progressive. At the biggest scales, it's progressive, moving things forward and making them better or easier, but at the smaller scales it can be anything from BURN THE PAST to here's a little trick I like to play to ςђค๏ร เร єครץ. The job IS change. I know Marvel has greatly diverged from the myths, to the point where they are more or less superfluous, but most of the items of power come from a Loki scheme. Mjolnir, Sleipnir, Hela, Jormungandr, Fenris, Baldur's death, Tyr's hand...the list goes on. And some of these bled over into Marvel.

And since Cates took over, I think this has been a primary undercurrent, though it was there basically since Siege, in smaller ways. Loki using a cell phone. Thor not understanding Midgard technology. Loki being explicitly non-binary or genderfluid. Thor being pretty defensive of his masculinity. And of course, since Cates, Thor smashing things with his own head and refusing to listen to others because he explicitly refuses any change that isn't part of the Plan.

And, of course, Thor fears the future, while Loki fears the past.
    Kinda interesting that Loki's recently been brought back more to his trickster roots, and as they did so, he also became more progressive and open to change. Like, he started out kinda trickster, but then aside from the elements from myths they used, he kinda just became a fairly standard bad guy for a long time there, in terms of the kinds of things he did and so on. He'd lie and stuff, sure, but there is a difference between using deception and being a trickster. And he also tended to be pretty disdainful of humans, and just as if not more so stuck in the past as Thor during that time. When they started to lean more into the gray chaotic neutral take and that meant more of a return to a true trickster, that's when he got interested in like modern technology and pop culture and stuff, and just generally became a lot more forward looking.

Astonishing Member

The new Thor trailer shows Thor in front of Zeus with Loki's horns and the words "RIP LOKI" tattooed on his back, lol.

Well, it's nice to know he misses Loki i guess.

Astonishing Member

It's a bit much but it's the thought that counts

Could anyone please explain what's going on with Alligator Loki comics? I found the first three issues for free, then someone shared issues 4 and 6 on Tumblr, but what happened to issue 5?

He was in the zoo! 2 of the new Captain Americas were at the zoo and gator was in an enclosure with a sign 'i'm in time out' and he gives them puppy eyes and they break him out, and then... well i guess you read issue 6

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    It's a bit much but it's the thought that counts
    Well, better too much than too little!

Thanks! I just wondered why it was the only issue nobody shared.

Amazing Member

Wow This month has so much Loki content.
    Meow infinity comic will have Loki in cat form being his little **** self in two issue (they already gave him an issue two days ago which you guys should check out it's adorable fufyfy)
    There is illigator loki
    Spiderman 2099 exobus #2
    then there is the two pride month stories.
    Then there is one of marvel voices pride iceman issues Loki will be appearing as a villian which is kinda annoying but it could be just a beef thing. Since ice men did attack Loki's people at some point.
    And who knows maybe more comics to come this month tccttctct
    Is marvel trying to make up for last year or is this just a consident??

As for the iligator Loki comic he was in the zoo because last issue he bit Thor, so Thor put him in time out and the issue after it its just the two captain Americas, Ms marvel, miles, gewn, Squirrel girl and miss America trying to train him so he won't bite anyone. The comic seems like it's following a story, it started with Thor taking Loki to the bark, then the next day Loki tried to lift the hammer but got caught so he jumped out of the window and the butterflie story is where he went.

Not sure if this is the case for all the pets comics or just illigator Loki but this might mean we're getting an explanation to where the other Loki went. That if he went anywhere and this isn't actually just Loki getting stuck in an illgator form.

I gotta say being a cat works better for Loki.
    Last edited by Emoandlazy; 06-01-2022 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks for sharing the details! Cat Loki was nice, though I find Alligator Loki funnier, and it also has some nods to Marvel films, like Loki falling down away from Asgard or being imprisoned in a glass cell

Amazing Member

I just like cats more. But the illigator loki story is indeed funnier tho. The cat one was more adorable and wholesome than funny.

I just wanna add something unrelated to the pets comics but I'm so excited for Loki vs iceman. I know Loki would probably lose because it's iceman's story but hear me out TWO SNOW GAYS GOING AT IT is a fun concept xtdtdtxtt.

Maybe we will even get the retcon about them being related discussed. Because I don't think Loki actually knows that iceman is adescended from Ymir.
    Last edited by Emoandlazy; 06-02-2022 at 10:59 AM.

They're both cute! I thought the Cat Loki one was real adorable tho, got kisses from Carol How the Avengers didn't catch on when he kept the horns, i dunno tho.

Where is the Iceman stuff from? was there a preview? I thought it was just the Asgard pride thing and Young Avengers. I've been distracted armchair-generaling, so....

But it is nice Loki is getting lots of guest appearances int he next while, tho it's getting a little hard to keep up

I've only now discovered MechStrike Loki... yuk.