Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Now the real question is: how long do we have to wait until someone leaks the movie online? Months? Years?

So all this to get the movie to be a tax write off

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/b...os-1235332062/

So think it also might have been sexist and racial motivated

7B1011E3-5D9D-43BE-A8FB-D70AF74133B1.jpg
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-02-2022 at 08:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member

She deserves so much better

...A tax write off? Seriously ?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post

So think it also might have been sexist and racial motivated

7B1011E3-5D9D-43BE-A8FB-D70AF74133B1.jpg
    As evil as that would be, it would at least make sense. Dumb, bigoted sense, but sense. More so than just shelving a film, that would have easily turned a profit, for no reason.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    More so than just shelving a film, that would have easily turned a profit, for no reason.
    Not sure about that, the Birds of Prey film apparently didn't break even at the box office.

https://www.cbr.com/birds-of-prey-bo...ment-not-flop/

But unless the movie is really so bad, they they feared it would damage their brand even further, I'm also sceptical if they wouldn't reduce their losses by releasing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not sure about that, the Birds of Prey film apparently didn't break even at the box office.

Yes it did. Almost $202 million on at most a $100 million budget. And that's assuming WB spent out the nose on marketing for it, which they did not.

This movie had a likable cast that many were interested in seeing. Lots wanted to see Brendan Fraser again, everyone loves him. And even more would've shown up for Keaton as Batman again. And Barbara's a popular character besides. It could've hit $200 million easily in a theatrical run.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member

Yes it did. Almost $202 million on at most a $100 million budget. And that's assuming WB spent out the nose on marketing for it, which they did not.
    Studios don't get all the box office money. Studios only get 50% in the USA market (and less from other markets), while movie theaters get the rest. So, 202 million wouldn't be enough to break even.

That's why the box office of movies needs much more than double their budget to break even.

PS: The marketing for a movie isn't included in the budget. So, the 80-100 millions budget for BoP don't include the marketing cost.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-03-2022 at 02:40 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My guess is this has something to do with the Keaton Batman. Which suggests they're finally doing something about the Miller situation. I wonder if Flash will be shitcanned.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

But unless the movie is really so bad, they they feared it would damage their brand even further, I'm also sceptical if they wouldn't reduce their losses by releasing it.
    Whilst there may be other factors involved, I find it much more likely and believable that the reason was based on test audience reactions and them just deciding to cut loses, what is obviously a lot of money to ordinary folk in the cost of making it, to actually put a film into cinemas is much more expensive, and whilst an streaming release could be done, I think the idea of it just being that, with done of the names attached could be seen as brand damaging

So whilst I'm disappointed, I don't think it's more that money based, very few components would throw away good money after bad if they were modestly smar

Unless something very concrete says otherwise id think it was just a saving money damage limitation decision

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My guess is this has something to do with the Keaton Batman. Which suggests they're finally doing something about the Miller situation. I wonder if Flash will be shitcanned.
    I think that's very much on the cards given the attention the lead actor has brought on themselves

I was surprised it was ever greenlit and in production to be honest
    Last edited by kilderkin; 08-03-2022 at 02:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Studios don't get all the box office money. Studios only get 50% in the USA market (and less from other markets), while movie theaters get the rest. So, 202 million wouldn't be enough to break even.

That's why the box office of movies needs much more than double their budget to break even.

PS: The marketing for a movie isn't included in the budget. So, the 80-100 millions budget for BoP don't include the marketing cost.
    Correct, and most big titles use upwards of half their production cost again on publicity

If a studio really thinks a film will tank they can cut loses pre release , especially if that is decided by someone who didn't greenlight it and they look like they are saving good money after bad

Astonishing Member

This movie had a likable cast that many were interested in seeing. Lots wanted to see Brendan Fraser again, everyone loves him. And even more would've shown up for Keaton as Batman again. And Barbara's a popular character besides. It could've hit $200 million easily in a theatrical run.
    That nowhere near enough to call it a solid success

Publicity and film chain revenue would eat that up

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...A tax write off? Seriously ?
    Didn't this exact tactic get used with a fantastic four film, to keep the right a film was made but not released to right off the taxation

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It's not necessarily Batgirl that's the problem.

It's the timing of Discovery taking over WB and making changes / developing new strategies.
    She was just a casualty, the same way the CNN Plus streaming service got started and then quickly was dropped by that company.

Sadly for batgirl fans I think it really just comes down to this

Money and branding I feel