Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657 LastLast

I'm not sure if people would've cared for a Red Hood-esque Batgirl.

But those random mandates Simone had to deal with sound so ridiculous. I mean, glasses? A librarian? Not even a hideout!?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

But those random mandates Simone had to deal with sound so ridiculous. I mean, glasses? A librarian? Not even a hideout!?
    Trying to erase any traces of Oracle, maybe?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Honestly, I would have prefered the Lazarus pit cure if that prevent fans from saying Barbara can get back in the wheelchair.

Many don't like the fully magical cure, but at least you wouldn't have people saying that Barbara should give up that chip.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I dont think she would've been full on Red-Hood but a slightly darker, more violent Barbara than what everyone was used to would've been a good storyline for a bit until they worked it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I dont think she would've been full on Red-Hood but a slightly darker, more violent Barbara than what everyone was used to would've been a good storyline for a bit until they worked it out.
    To be honest that was also kind of Simone's Batgirl at least in regards to her trauma with what happened with Joker.

Extraordinary Member

Mandates make it feel like even Babs herself was being hit a bit by Didio’s micro-managing desire for characters to fit a specific type of broadly painted “iconic” version.

Like WebLurker said, it might be a paranoia about Oracle, or maybe Didio just doesn’t think redheads with glasses are hot.

(He’d be wrong by the way, in case you were wondering.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

But the library and glasses thing were pre-Oracle .

Extraordinary Member

But the library and glasses thing were pre-Oracle .
    Which is exactly why it’s clearly *some* kind of over-reaction from the then-regime of some kind… but also why Didio/whoever actually was behind it just not getting why tall, curly redheads with glasses are hot is just as plausible.

…especially since glasses arguably work to separate the civilian IDs of Kate and Babs better.

(I would presume that Didio might actually have put down the decrees just because he seems to have been more perosnally meddling with all Batgril properties from what we know of pretty much all female Bat characters’ treatment; really feels like he pulled a Perlmutter and stood around stubbornly insisting on an innately hypocritical view of profitable female Bat-characters as being dangerous to each other.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

It seems Barbara will be in the movie The doom that came from Gotham as Oracle. She will be played by Gideon Adlon

I'm curious do you guys ever want her librarian history to be brought back it felt very different. I kind of curious to see how it would have played out if they kept it
    And another thing so you guys think one reason why they wanted to make Babs batgirl again is they thought it was more iconic than Oracle? After all other than the tv show BoP Oracle didn't show up much.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 12-06-2022 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    . . . I'm curious do you guys ever want her librarian history to be brought back it felt very different. I kind of curious to see how it would have played out if they kept it
    And another thing so you guys think one reason why they wanted to make Babs batgirl again is they thought it was more iconic than Oracle? After all other than the tv show BoP Oracle didn't show up much.
    In reverse order, Barbara as Batgirl (vs. as Oracle) probably was more "iconic" to the average person (as opposed to comic book geeks) because that's how she first was portrayed, and anyone who ever saw the 1960s Batman TV show (which was forever in reruns) would be more familiar with her that way.

As for being a librarian, that's what she was originally. But this was also in the days before the internet, so that was a useful occupation for her because it gave her access to plenty of information without needing a giant Bat-Computer in her home.

I wouldn't mind her having a librarian background, but then again, I use to work in the town's public library back when I was in high school.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In reverse order, Barbara as Batgirl (vs. as Oracle) probably was more "iconic" to the average person (as opposed to comic book geeks) because that's how she first was portrayed, and anyone who ever saw the 1960s Batman TV show (which was forever in reruns) would be more familiar with her that way.

As for being a librarian, that's what she was originally. But this was also in the days before the internet, so that was a useful occupation for her because it gave her access to plenty of information without needing a giant Bat-Computer in her home.

I wouldn't mind her having a librarian background, but then again, I use to work in the town's public library back when I was in high school.
    She could be a legal librarian. She would have more access to court records.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    She could be a legal librarian. She would have more access to court records.
    I don't think she really needs more access to court records . . . besides, when Jim was police commissioner, she had another way to gain that type of information.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Trying to erase any traces of Oracle, maybe?
    No, they just didn't consider those qualities "sexy" enough. Because god forbid a woman wear glasses and be into reading. Was Gaston the guy in charge of the regime?

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Honestly, I would have prefered the Lazarus pit cure if that prevent fans from saying Barbara can get back in the wheelchair.

Many don't like the fully magical cure, but at least you wouldn't have people saying that Barbara should give up that chip.
    Barbara with the chip honestly reminds me of one of my favorite heroes growing up from a TV show called M.A.N.T.I.S. So it reminds me of that and I guess I love it for that reason.
    Last edited by Majesty; 12-07-2022 at 03:39 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I truly regret the decision to get Barbara out of the chair. DC pretty much said people with exceptions cant be heroes. However, there's no point in putting the genie back in the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I truly regret the decision to get Barbara out of the chair. DC pretty much said people with exceptions cant be heroes. However, there's no point in putting the genie back in the bottle.
    I am finding the compromise in the Batgirls series acceptable, where she can walk, but rather than being a magic fix, the chip in her spine is treated like another tool she uses to get through life with her disability (and we see off days where it's better if she can keep a load off her feet and mentions that she's still in physical therapy to manage her condition). And, to be honest, if someone lost the use of their legs or other body part, I wouldn't judge them for taking the chance to regain their mobility if it came (frankly, if I ended up in a wheelchair or something, I don't think I'd take it very gracefully and would want to reverse if possible).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)