Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast
    BANNED

I don't know what it is, but Dan Slott really likes to rub it in that he took Jessica off the board.

spoilers:
    Peter asks Julia if Jessica can be restored, and Julia is hesitant to say 'yes' at first, until the golden idol of Neith is brought up as a means of weaving new threads....they retrieve it, only for the idol to be destroyed by a headbutt...and then Anya says "that was her last hope, there is no way of restoring Jessica"
    end of spoilers

Of course, the big ray of hope here is that

spoilers:
    Peter is then stabbed with the dagger and 'wiped' from existence, so if we see him again in this story, we'll presumably see Jessica
    end of spoilers

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I don't know what it is, but Dan Slott really likes to rub it in that he took Jessica off the board.

spoilers:
    Peter asks Julia if Jessica can be restored, and Julia is hesitant to say 'yes' at first, until the golden idol of Neith is brought up as a means of weaving new threads....they retrieve it, only for the idol to be destroyed by a headbutt...and then Anya says "that was her last hope, there is no way of restoring Jessica"
    end of spoilers

Of course, the big ray of hope here is that

spoilers:
    Peter is then stabbed with the dagger and 'wiped' from existence, so if we see him again in this story, we'll presumably see Jessica
    end of spoilers
    Pretty much. No way either of them are staying "gone" for more than the duration of this arc.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Pretty much. No way either of them are staying "gone" for more than the duration of this arc.
    spoilers:
    But will Gerry Drew be back? What If the Peter and Jessica that come back have...altered histories?
    end of spoilers
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    spoilers:
    But will Gerry Drew be back? What If the Peter and Jessica that come back have...altered histories?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    You'd think Slott would take that opportunity to restore pre-OMD Spidey, or maybe he'll be restored to a teenager and go through high school again, heh heh
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    You'd think Slott would take that opportunity to restore pre-OMD Spidey, or maybe he'll be restored to a teenager and go through high school again, heh heh
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I wouldn't put it past them. But I also think we need to worry about little Gerry. Is this how they get rid of him so Jess does not 'look too old'?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    spoilers:
    I wouldn't put it past them. But I also think we need to worry about little Gerry. Is this how they get rid of him so Jess does not 'look too old'?
    end of spoilers
    Both of those would suck immensely.

I don't see how being a Mom makes Jessica look too old? Gerry's just a toddler. And hasn't Jessica always been shown to be older than Peter (who would already be a Dad if not for Mayday being miscarried and OMD erasing Annie, both of whom exist as teenagers in other realities)? Also, the second Spider-Woman, Julia Carpenter (now Madame Web) is also a Mom, and her kid is a teenager, so Jessica already seems young compared to her.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I don't see how being a Mom makes Jessica look too old? Gerry's just a toddler. And hasn't Jessica always been shown to be older than Peter (who would already be a Dad if not for Mayday being miscarried and OMD erasing Annie, both of whom exist as teenagers in other realities)? Also, the second Spider-Woman, Julia Carpenter (now Madame Web) is also a Mom, and her kid is a teenager, so Jessica already seems young compared to her.
    It's because it's not..."relatable" to "younger audiences" very much in the same way that Peter Parker being married/having kids is not "relatable" to "younger audiences". None of that should matter, especially in Jessica's case. Wasn't she born in the 30's and put in suspended animation by her father and The High Evolutionary? or did they retcon that?
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Pretty much, yeah. A young teenager at this point, I'd think, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    It's because it's not..."relatable" to "younger audiences" very much in the same way that Peter Parker being married/having kids is not "relatable" to "younger audiences". None of that should matter, especially in Jessica's case. Wasn't she born in the 30's and put in suspended animation by her father and The High Evolutionary? or did they retcon that?
    Somewhat, yeah. Spider-Woman: Origin by Brian Bendis back in the New Avengers days revisited and revised some aspects of her origin story, and the recent run by Karla Pacheco took some inspiration from that, introducing a brother (and a teenage niece) she didn't know she had, as well as a crazed clone of her (or their) mother.

BANNED

Also, the second Spider-Woman, Julia Carpenter (now Madame Web) is also a Mom, and her kid is a teenager, so Jessica already seems young compared to her.
    The thing about Julia Carpenter is that her daughter was an essential element to her backstory and origin; and, with Rachel, Julia the single mother "paid her dues" over the years with her stints as superhero and (more than once) federal fugitive. For comic book fans who have also gotten older, that MILF status has aged well.

Jessica Drew being preggers felt more like a half-baked gimmick, like pregnant Catwoman, not helped by their kids' fathers apparently being no one really of note.

Wait, Selina got pregnant by someone other than Batman?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Wait, Selina got pregnant by someone other than Batman?
    Instead of her and Bruce producing Helena Wayne, we got her one-night stand with Slam Bradley, Jr.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    The thing about Julia Carpenter is that her daughter was an essential element to her backstory and origin; and, with Rachel, Julia the single mother "paid her dues" over the years with her stints as superhero and (more than once) federal fugitive. For comic book fans who have also gotten older, that MILF status has aged well.

Jessica Drew being preggers felt more like a half-baked gimmick, like pregnant Catwoman, not helped by their kids' fathers apparently being no one really of note.
    Jessica did not conceive Gerry in the traditional sense. She went to a sperm back so the father would not be in the picture at all. You don't get the donor's name and address so you can make him help support the kid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Jessica did not conceive Gerry in the traditional sense. She went to a sperm back so the father would not be in the picture at all. You don't get the donor's name and address so you can make him help support the kid.
    Yes, no one really of note like Catwoman's.

A few glimpses of Jessica in the new Across the Spider Verse Trailer.

spoilers:
    Doesn't much look like 616 Jess to be sure but we knew that and I'm absolutely here for motorcycle moves.
    end of spoilers
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter