Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Why the writer never featured Spider-Man as a guest? Having Jessica appear as a guest in ASM could have brought in the Spider-Man readers to her series and vice versa. Poor promotion on the creative team's part to sell the series to a larger audience by not having Jessica appear in the following books

1. Amazing Spider-Man
    2. Deadpool
    3. Daredevil
    4. Black Cat

Having Jessica in those books might have helped to keep her solo book going. If the team can't sell the series by not having Jessica appearing in other titles that has a large audience to know about the character, how can it expect to avoid cancellation? If the reader doesn't know the Jessica's character, they won't buy the series.
    Given that both the DEADPOOL book and the BLACK CAT book were cancelled before SPIDER-WOMAN, there seems to be a very significant flaw in your logic.

That is leaving aside that it isn't the SPIDER-WOMAN creative team's decision whether or not other writers have her guest star in their books.

Guest appearances generally work best when the writer actually has a story to tell with the character--not just shoehorning them in for the sake of having a guest star.

I also disagree with the premise that Spider-Woman is lacking in exposure. It is not that long since she came off a long stint as a regular cast member in AVENGERS, during a time when that was one of Marvel's most prominent books/franchises. She has made appearances in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN in recent years -- most recently in Nick Spencer's run She's been a recurring guest character in CAPTAIN MARVEL. She was also in the STRIKEFORCE team book not long ago. She isn't exactly an obscure character who has been hiding in isolation in her own tiny corner of the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Given that both the DEADPOOL book and the BLACK CAT book were cancelled before SPIDER-WOMAN, there seems to be a very significant flaw in your logic.

That is leaving aside that it isn't the SPIDER-WOMAN creative team's decision whether or not other writers have her guest star in their books.

Guest appearances generally work best when the writer actually has a story to tell with the character--not just shoehorning them in for the sake of having a guest star.

I also disagree with the premise that Spider-Woman is lacking in exposure. It is not that long since she came off a long stint as a regular cast member in AVENGERS, during a time when that was one of Marvel's most prominent books/franchises. She has made appearances in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN in recent years -- most recently in Nick Spencer's run She's been a recurring guest character in CAPTAIN MARVEL. She was also in the STRIKEFORCE team book not long ago. She isn't exactly an obscure character who has been hiding in isolation in her own tiny corner of the Marvel Universe.
    Clearly that's only because neither Wade nor Felicia guest starred in Spider-Woman. Thank god Carol did otherwise her solo would now be gone too.
    That's just science.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post

I think the solo went down because it just didn't hold up sales wise, but not because of exposure since she's had a lot of that as you statedI think people just didn't care enough for the run to stick around.

Even though Black Cat is done we still get one-shots and mini's that are basically continuing the story w/ the same writer and even artists IIRC.

And Deadpool still has a book out IIRC

The normal Deadpool book was axed, but yes, doesn't he have a Black, White and Red type anthology, like Wolverine and Elektra?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Kinda feels like this run was just meant to revive Veranke for a certain D+ show *Cough rumors Cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Kinda feels like this run was just meant to revive Veranke for a certain D+ show *Cough rumors Cough*
    does make you wonder though....

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I think the solo went down because it just didn't hold up sales wise, but not because of exposure since she's had a lot of that as you statedI think people just didn't care enough for the run to stick around.
    Pretty sure this has been the longest one since the OG run from the 70/80ies. Spider-woman isn't exactly known for long stints.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The normal Deadpool book was axed, but yes, doesn't he have a Black, White and Red type anthology, like Wolverine and Elektra?
    These are 4-issue limited series per character and his run is finished for some time now.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

will she have another team in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    will she have another team in the near future?
    My avatar says what team I'd love to see her on.....
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Why the writer never featured Spider-Man as a guest? Having Jessica appear as a guest in ASM could have brought in the Spider-Man readers to her series and vice versa. Poor promotion on the creative team's part to sell the series to a larger audience by not having Jessica appear in the following books

1. Amazing Spider-Man
    2. Deadpool
    3. Daredevil
    4. Black Cat

Having Jessica in those books might have helped to keep her solo book going. If the team can't sell the series by not having Jessica appearing in other titles that has a large audience to know about the character, how can it expect to avoid cancellation? If the reader doesn't know the Jessica's character, they won't buy the series.
    All having Spider-Man guest may do is have people buy that specific issue. It does not mean they are going to buy it month over month. And even if Spider-Woman guested in other books does not mean people who regularly buy those other books are going to start buying the Spider-Woman book regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    All having Spider-Man guest may do is have people buy that specific issue. It does not mean they are going to buy it month over month. And even if Spider-Woman guested in other books does not mean people who regularly buy those other books are going to start buying the Spider-Woman book regularly.
    If she had any chance she needed a strong supporting cast. I personally bought the book because of Roger. I read Dennis Hopeless Hallum’s entire run. I thought Roger would be just another one issue get his ass kicked and be gone deal. Instead he was developed and stuck around quite awhile. Went from villain to hero. A D-lister that got an upgrade. He became romantically involved with Jess. He had a past. A family. That’s character development. This time around he hardly was in the book. Just long enough to get all the characterization and development thrown right out the window. He was far more interesting than Lindsay. Editorial my have mandated what Karla had to write and what did it get? Cancelled.

I agree people would only buy the book if Peter was in it. I thought her niece would have made a great supporting character and a nice sidekick. We hardly seen her as well. Lindsay just didn’t cut it for me. Give her a costume and let her fight the good fight like Roger and her niece did. Now you have a nice supporting cast. Jess has her own team and could go back to being a private investigator. Ben Urich could run the administrative part. Jess has partners and could spend more time with Gerry. Gerry has superpowers and that could be utilized. Now she has a strong supporting cast. Instead she pretty much carried the book herself and it failed. Now she goes back on the shelf for who knows how long. Usually years unfortunately.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    If she had any chance she needed a strong supporting cast. I personally bought the book because of Roger. I read Dennis Hopeless Hallum’s entire run. I thought Roger would be just another one issue get his ass kicked and be gone deal. Instead he was developed and stuck around quite awhile. Went from villain to hero. A D-lister that got an upgrade. He became romantically involved with Jess. He had a past. A family. That’s character development. This time around he hardly was in the book. Just long enough to get all the characterization and development thrown right out the window. He was far more interesting than Lindsay. Editorial my have mandated what Karla had to write and what did it get? Cancelled.

I agree people would only buy the book if Peter was in it. I thought her niece would have made a great supporting character and a nice sidekick. We hardly seen her as well. Lindsay just didn’t cut it for me. Give her a costume and let her fight the good fight like Roger and her niece did. Now you have a nice supporting cast. Jess has her own team and could go back to being a private investigator. Ben Urich could run the administrative part. Jess has partners and could spend more time with Gerry. Gerry has superpowers and that could be utilized. Now she has a strong supporting cast. Instead she pretty much carried the book herself and it failed. Now she goes back on the shelf for who knows how long. Usually years unfortunately.
    I think that if Peter Parker was a supporting cast who provides Jessica would some upgrades to her Spider-Equipment that would maximize her Venom Blast, that might have helped with sales to her series. In addition, there is nothing wrong with Jessica becoming a reoccurring guest in the pages of ASM for a major story arc where she and Peter could work together and combine their unique talents. There hasn't been any interaction between Jessica and Peter in a very long time. She would also fit in well in the pages of Daredevil. It would be fun if Gerry and Peter develop a bond.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Pretty sure this has been the longest one since the OG run from the 70/80ies. Spider-woman isn't exactly known for long stints.
    All it takes is for a creative team to have Jessica as a reoccurring guest in ASM, Daredevil, and Dr. Strange to bring those readers over to her book. This is where some of the supporting cast and rogues could become a part of her own supporting cast like Black Cat and Rick Jones. As for the rogues, Tombstone, Morlun, The High Lord Gideon, Lady Deathstrike, The Leader, and Carnage would be perfect for Jessica's rogue gallery.

These characters would had made things interesting for Jessica and company.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 03-23-2022 at 11:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post

Agree. Editorial pretty much tanked this from the start with the 'all action, all the time" mandate. Roger was there to take care of Gerry while Jess dealt with the fall out of her jack ass brother poisoning and lying to her instead of coming to her directly and telling her what's up. Then when that plot line was resolved Jess was written like a world class bitch and crapped all over Roger.

I would have liked to have seen Roger stick around and be more developed as love interest and partner. I have no problem with Lindsay being brought back because it ties back to Jess's original series...it is just in how she is used. But a slightly larger supporting cast that is along for the ride and who is given meaningful sub plots would have helped greatly. I also would have liked to see Rebecca get powered.