Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I guess it's only natural to see her return since Spider-Woman needs all the major villains she can get!
    I’m all for her getting bigger villains, but I’d like to see some of her classics revamped.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’m all for her getting bigger villains, but I’d like to see some of her classics revamped.
    I haven't read much of classic Spider-Woman. Who would they be?

I haven't read much of classic Spider-Woman. Who would they be?

Morgan Le Fey
    was a major one, although they kind of made her more of an Avengers level baddie.

I also really like the Brothers Grimm, (First saw them in Web of Spider-man during "Acts of Vengeance") but they are treated nowadays as a joke and usually used just to pad out villain crowd scenes.

Skein formerly "Gypsy Moth", I get the why of the name change, I just wish they could find something more memorable than Skein. I miss her classic costume though, it just looked so cute and not at all villainous!

Hangman and Needle, could probably benefit from a revamp.

Even though she only appeared in Spider-man, the evil Spiderwoman, Charlotte Whitter originally had attacked Jessica and stole her powers. She could make for an interesting reoccurring foe.

Oh, and how can I forget Turner D. Century. He is just silly. Maybe they could play up the wackiness of the character ala Arcade or the Joker or something. Or just use him for some light hearted comedy. (I would kind of hate to see him revamped into some sort of serious grim dark" baddie.)
    Last edited by Vegeta; 01-19-2022 at 08:56 AM.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

Morgan Le Fey
    was a major one, although they kind of made her more of an Avengers level baddie.

I also really like the Brothers Grimm, (First saw them in Web of Spider-man during "Acts of Vengeance") but they are treated nowadays as a joke and usually used just to pad out villain crowd scenes.

Skein formerly "Gypsy Moth", I get the why of the name change, I just wish they could find something more memorable than Skein. I miss her classic costume though, it just looked so cute and not at all villainous!

Hangman and Needle, could probably benefit from a revamp.

Even though she only appeared in Spider-man, the evil Spiderwoman, Charlotte Whitter originally had attacked Jessica and stole her powers. She could make for an interesting reoccurring foe.

Oh, and how can I forget Turner D. Century. He is just silly. Maybe they could play up the wackiness of the character ala Arcade or the Joker or something. Or just use him for some light hearted comedy. (I would kind of hate to see him revamped into some sort of serious grim dark" baddie.)
    I think I've pretty much only heard of Morgan le Fey and maybe the Brothers Grimm. I've mostly read her 2000s to present.

Turner D. Century sounds really too hokey, IMO.

Jessica fought her in Marvel Comics Presents#8 vol 3, but not much happened there, it was really brief, and the story happens like Jessica has a secret identity, when that hasn't been the case in a long time.

The story also doesn't mention that Charlotte was in a coma before all of that nonsense lol.

It's also worth pointing out that, Charlotte is the reason Jessica lost her powers (Well, the second time lol), so if there's any character besides Veranke who hurt Jessica very personally, Charlotte would be that character too, but that would have to ignore how Jessica didn't really care that much about Charlotte stealing her powers... But on the other hand, Bendis made her want her powers back hard enough that she made a deal with what she thought was Hydra in New Avengers.

One funny detail is that Charlotte stole both of Jessica's and Julia's powers, and while Jessica lost them long enough to try to go to Hydra and get her powers back (Which started the whole Veranke nonsense), Julia magically got her powers back with no explanations lol.

With a costume like that, revamping into a grim baddie would be a feat on itself lol.

Anyways, I haven't checked out Bendis' New Avengers and Secret Invasion much, but, I don't think Veranke ever actually met Jessica, while I can understand why Jessica would hate her, Veranke in Spider-Woman#18 vol 7 is talking like she has a grudge on Jessica too (Since she sounds way too happy at the idea of making Jessica suffer), and if I remember correctly, Jessica is freed on the same issue Veranke is killed, which would leave little room for them to meet for Veranke to even hold a grudge, so, am I right here and we have a weird plot hole, or did they actually meet long enough for Veranke to have a grudge?

Either way she definitely should have a bigger grudge on Norman, killing/kidnapping her and all lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Anyways, I haven't checked out Bendis' New Avengers and Secret Invasion much, but, I don't think Veranke ever actually met Jessica, while I can understand why Jessica would hate her, Veranke in Spider-Woman#18 vol 7 is talking like she has a grudge on Jessica too (Since she sounds way too happy at the idea of making Jessica suffer), and if I remember correctly, Jessica is freed on the same issue Veranke is killed, which would leave little room for them to meet for Veranke to even hold a grudge, so, am I right here and we have a weird plot hole, or did they actually meet long enough for Veranke to have a grudge?

Either way she definitely should have a bigger grudge on Norman, killing/kidnapping her and all lol.
    Hmm hadn't thought of that angle. Yeah.... makes me wonder what's up.

also.... I can think of someone who would have very good reason to care about that..... but more from the angle of him needing to know what her plans are, and less the angle of him feeling threatened. This would be Kl'rt the Super-Skrull.... and by extension Jazinda I guess?

Veranke had a lot of unfinished business.... Jessica Drew wasn't part of any of it. Why would she target her?

Also... Kl'rt vs Normie, when?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmm hadn't thought of that angle. Yeah.... makes me wonder what's up.

also.... I can think of someone who would have very good reason to care about that..... but more from the angle of him needing to know what her plans are, and less the angle of him feeling threatened. This would be Kl'rt the Super-Skrull.... and by extension Jazinda I guess?
    Are there even any other Skrulls to learn that Veranke is still alive?

Even in that case, she hasn't done anything yet, just walked on the street in full Skrull form, which if Marvel's New York is anything like the real one, most people would not care about her, and the ones who even notice would probably assume she's a cosplayer lol.

Veranke had a lot of unfinished business.... Jessica Drew wasn't part of any of it. Why would she target her?
    We have Fisk asking her to do so, and even if we pretend Skulls are a species that cares about honor to follow up on deals made, Veranke quite clearly is taking pleasure on the idea of tormenting Jessica.

There could be weird excuses for this, like blaming Jessica for her own failure in that typical villain way, but that needs to be pointed out, otherwise it gives the impression Jessica fucked her over more than anyone else, and the one who should be on top of that list should be Norman lol.

Also... Kl'rt vs Normie, when?
    You're asking Super-Skrull to fight a powerless kid? What's next, you want Thanos to fight a 4 year old with leukemia? .

Are there even any other Skrulls to learn that Veranke is still alive?
    not yet... but... I would think they would want to know. Or at least care about it... at least somewhat.
    Even in that case, she hasn't done anything yet, just walked on the street in full Skrull form, which if Marvel's New York is anything like the real one, most people would not care about her, and the ones who even notice would probably assume she's a cosplayer lol.

We have Fisk asking her to do so, and even if we pretend Skulls are a species that cares about honor to follow up on deals made, Veranke quite clearly is taking pleasure on the idea of tormenting Jessica.

There could be weird excuses for this, like blaming Jessica for her own failure in that typical villain way, but that needs to be pointed out, otherwise it gives the impression Jessica fucked her over more than anyone else, and the one who should be on top of that list should be Norman lol.
    Or maybe it's all an act? Hard to say... especially given that Veranke technically counts as an Avenger. Sure she was a member while pretending to be Spider-Woman... but still... I do think Veranke is the sort of person who understands that owing someone a favor is more powerful than money.
    You're asking Super-Skrull to fight a powerless kid? What's next, you want Thanos to fight a 4 year old with leukemia? .
    I meant Norman Osborne! As Green goblin with all the usual goblin weapons? hmm... could be a fun fight.

No April solicitation for Spider-Woman??
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Nope. The only mention of Jess is this:

WOLVERINE EPIC COLLECTION: MADRIPOOR NIGHTS TPB
    Volume #1 in the Wolverine Epic Collections
    NEW PRINTING!
    Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT & PETER DAVID
    Penciled by JOHN BUSCEMA & GENE COLAN
    Cover by JOHN BUSCEMA
    ON SALE MAY 2022
    He’s the best there is at what he does — but what he does isn’t very nice. And now Wolverine has broken out of the X-Men and into his own solo series! Feeling the urge to cut loose, Wolverine travels to Madripoor, an East Indian island full of pirates, cutthroats and smugglers — just the way Logan likes it! There, he’ll take on ruthless crimelord Roche, meet the cunning Tyger Tiger, wield the mystical Black Blade, battle superhuman enforcers Roughouse and Bloodsport and contend with drug kingpin Nguyen Ngoc Coy and his niece, the former New Mutant known as Karma! Plus: The Hulk comes to town, a formative battle with Sabretooth is revealed and Wolverine hunts for the Gehenna Stone! Guest-starring Jessica Drew, A.K.A. Spider-Woman! Collecting WOLVERINE (1988) #1-16 and material from MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS (1988) #1-10 and MARVEL AGE ANNUAL #4.
    504 PGS./Rated T …$44.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-94687-6
    Trim size: 6-5/8 x 10-3/16
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I think I've pretty much only heard of Morgan le Fey and maybe the Brothers Grimm. I've mostly read her 2000s to present.

Turner D. Century sounds really too hokey, IMO.
    I mean, he could make for some fun "Stilt-Man" type comedy. Sometimes it's good to have a laugh after a really dark or depressing storyline. But I can easily also see some Bendis wannabe or edge-lord writer turning him into a child murderer or rapist, etc. because they think they are sooo shocking and outrageous.

Jessica fought her in Marvel Comics Presents#8 vol 3, but not much happened there, it was really brief, and the story happens like Jessica has a secret identity, when that hasn't been the case in a long time.

The story also doesn't mention that Charlotte was in a coma before all of that nonsense lol.
    I kind of want to read this out of curiosity, but it also sounds like I didn't miss much.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I mean, he could make for some fun "Stilt-Man" type comedy. Sometimes it's good to have a laugh after a really dark or depressing storyline. But I can easily also see some Bendis wannabe or edge-lord writer turning him into a child murderer or rapist, etc. because they think they are sooo shocking and outrageous.

I kind of want to read this out of curiosity, but it also sounds like I didn't miss much.
    Not really. All it really did was kill off a random college student pretending to be Spider-Woman using Jessica's classic costume on social media, which persuaded Jessica to revert to that classic costume so no more impersonators would endanger themselves. At least, that's what I'm able to recall right now. As for Turner D. Century, he might work better as a commentary on the backlash in certain corners of modern society against change and progress, particularly change and progress that they feel has disenfranchised or disempowered them, although it would indeed be better for him not to be turned into an edgelord caricature, like you put it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    not yet... but... I would think they would want to know. Or at least care about it... at least somewhat.
    Thinking of it, would also be interesting if she learns about the Kree/Skrull war ending, and what she has to say about it.

Or maybe it's all an act? Hard to say... especially given that Veranke technically counts as an Avenger. :P Sure she was a member while pretending to be Spider-Woman... but still... I do think Veranke is the sort of person who understands that owing someone a favor is more powerful than money.
    Sure, her accepting Fisk's help to benefit herself later on makes sense, it's just weird she talks like she's gonna enjoy tormenting Jessica in particular, even when she's talking to herself.

Also, Veranke herself points out she could just disappear and Fisk would never find her, and she's probably right, so that makes it look pretty bizarre and Fisk is letting a shape shifter potentially disappear, 'cause even if he's right about Veranke wanting revenge on Jessica, he's gotta ask "And then what?", 'cause if she succeeds like he wants her to, she can do whatever she wants, so yeah, it's bizarre Fisk is being this careless, unless he has a way to track her of course, or at least identify her.

I meant Norman Osborne! As Green goblin with all the usual goblin weapons? hmm... could be a fun fight.
    Could be even more fun if he remembers he has more gadgets than just the pumpkin bombs.

Though right now he ain't a Goblin, so even if Super-Skrull shows up on Earth to find Veranke, and learns Norman had her imprisoned, Norman has to become GG before that can happen.

They are shocking and outrageous, it's just that it doesn't mean that's a good thing, something hack writers fail to realize.

Here:

You really didn't miss much, the context of the story only has villains going after stupid people who decided to pretend they're Spider-Woman for the memes I guess, and Charlotte herself suddenly shows up at the end, and she sees herself as the only Spider-Woman (Nevermind that Charlotte dropped that nonsense after her first appearances), and then she and Jessica fight briefly, and Charlotte escapes.

The pages I sent basically show everything there is to see about the fight, 'cause again, Charlotte only suddenly shows up in the end, and the only extra detail from a previous page is someone saying "Some other Spider-Woman with extra spider-legs is attacking people" and Jessica can tell it's Charlotte and leaves right away, so yeah, that's all Charlotte does here lol.

It's honestly kinda sad that Charlotte sucks, while there's nothing new about making an evil version of a specific type of character, her being a parasite that can steal others powers (Even if it's silly it's only limited to Spider-Women) is a cool idea, and she's Cassandra's granddaughter, and it's mentioned a few times she has some of Cassandra's telepathy (I think it's mentioned that's how she can steal the powers), but, she only got defeated in lame ways, and the only thing we know about her character besides being a villain is that she's a fashion designer, and her costume tells us she was terrible at her job.

Otto also gave her her powers, which's, the ASM explanation is completely baffling, since he managed to give someone powers just like that, because he never did make something that powerful before or after this, and that's all the explanation we get when he reveals he's the one who gave her powers in ASM, though at least that was somewhat handwaved in Spider-Woman#2 vol 3 when he says that he detected Charlotte's latent psychic powers, but the only power that is specifically part of those are those spider-legs, but again, I think her stealing power comes from the psychic powers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As for Turner D. Century, he might work better as a commentary on the backlash in certain corners of modern society against change and progress, particularly change and progress that they feel has disenfranchised or disempowered them, although it would indeed be better for him not to be turned into an edgelord caricature, like you put it.
    That could work, and maybe be done in an intentionally bizarre logic for comedy, like the Mad Stan from Batman Beyond:

They should make Witter a mutant with Psychic powers who gained the extra Spider Powers.

I’d like to see her face Jessica again and perhaps get healed from Doc Ock’s damage to her psyche.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not really. All it really did was kill off a random college student pretending to be Spider-Woman using Jessica's classic costume on social media, which persuaded Jessica to revert to that classic costume so no more impersonators would endanger themselves. At least, that's what I'm able to recall right now. As for Turner D. Century, he might work better as a commentary on the backlash in certain corners of modern society against change and progress, particularly change and progress that they feel has disenfranchised or disempowered them, although it would indeed be better for him not to be turned into an edgelord caricature, like you put it.
    The real life villains are edgelord caricatures now, though