Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thunderbolts -- The New Series

Sorry if an earlier thread was started, but I ran a search and couldn't find it.

I have been reading much of Marvel's stuff, but I always liked the Thunderbolts, or at least their first iteration through Civil Wars, so when I saw the first two issues of a new Thunderbolts series with Hawkeye leading the group, I thought that this was made for me. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I was rather surprised to hear that the Kingpin had been the mayor of New York and that the new mayor was Luke Cage. I was also surprised that the Avengers (and I assume other super heroes) have been banned from New York and that the City has set up its own group. OK, it's new to me, but nothing that I object to.

But then I see a group picked based on demographics. Hawkeye is the least likely hero to be happy with that. Many years ago, Peter Gyrich picked a team where Hawkeye was dropped in favor or the Falcon (who had never been an Avenger) for similar reasons. Clint was not a happy camper. And at any rate, we have a team with no history with Hawkeye and a member who's identity and powers are so "classified" that nobody is allowed to know anything about him. The group does not seem to have any respect for Hawkeye (Persuasion threatened to use her powers on him if he didn't voluntarily do what she wanted him to do) and neither does Luke Cage (Photon was his first choice to lead the group, and he'd dump Hawkeye in a second if she'd say yes).

Maybe things will improve in an issue or two and I will stick around for that long, but as of now, I am not a fan. (I'd be happier to see Hawkeye's proposed West Coast Avengers.)

I assume there are dissenting views, and I'd be interested in hearing them.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

For me the current series is ok but in a lot of ways to me it's kinda like the upcoming Thunderbolts movie where it's Thunderbolts in name only. Fully admit that I'm biased as I loved the original run and members. That said I'm giving this series a chance and I really hope that it wins me over. At least it has the benefit of having 2 of my favorite characters in Hawkeye and Spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    For me the current series is ok but in a lot of ways to me it's kinda like the upcoming Thunderbolts movie where it's Thunderbolts in name only. Fully admit that I'm biased as I loved the original run and members. That said I'm giving this series a chance and I really hope that it wins me over. At least it has the benefit of having 2 of my favorite characters in Hawkeye and Spectrum.
    She's using Spectrum now? I didn't notice (as his obvious by my post where I refer to her as Photon)! As I said, I'll give it a few issues, and hope will grow on me, but none of the new characters rely do anything for me.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))

Niffleheim

Actually in her new mini series she goes by the codename Photon
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Actually in her new mini series she goes by the codename Photon
    Yep she will be switching back to Photon but for right now she's still going by Spectrum.

Oh, and while we're talking about the Thunderbolts, does anyone know what happened to the Ogre?
    Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Oh, and while we're talking about the Thunderbolts, does anyone know what happened to the Ogre?
    According to his wiki entry, he's living in exile with Humus Sapien

Incredible Member

Sorry if an earlier thread was started, but I ran a search and couldn't find it.

I have been reading much of Marvel's stuff, but I always liked the Thunderbolts, or at least their first iteration through Civil Wars, so when I saw the first two issues of a new Thunderbolts series with Hawkeye leading the group, I thought that this was made for me. Unfortunately, I was wrong. I was rather surprised to hear that the Kingpin had been the mayor of New York and that the new mayor was Luke Cage. I was also surprised that the Avengers (and I assume other super heroes) have been banned from New York and that the City has set up its own group. OK, it's new to me, but nothing that I object to.

But then I see a group picked based on demographics. Hawkeye is the least likely hero to be happy with that. Many years ago, Peter Gyrich picked a team where Hawkeye was dropped in favor or the Falcon (who had never been an Avenger) for similar reasons. Clint was not a happy camper. And at any rate, we have a team with no history with Hawkeye and a member who's identity and powers are so "classified" that nobody is allowed to know anything about him. The group does not seem to have any respect for Hawkeye (Persuasion threatened to use her powers on him if he didn't voluntarily do what she wanted him to do) and neither does Luke Cage (Photon was his first choice to lead the group, and he'd dump Hawkeye in a second if she'd say yes).

Maybe things will improve in an issue or two and I will stick around for that long, but as of now, I am not a fan. (I'd be happier to see Hawkeye's proposed West Coast Avengers.)

I don't think you meant to, but do know how bigotry it sound when you say, "But then I see a group picked based on demographics." That kinda language sounds innocent enough but it has been used as an excuse for so much in America right now that it can only come across as full of hate. It is quite an often used expression when it comes to racism, especially the idea that there is a conspiracy of Black people taking over traditional white roles and LatinX peoe taking all the jobs. Basically many think that there is a conspiracy to make white people a minority. I hope that's not how you meant it but it is important to point out another view point.

Monica should go by Captain Spectron from now on
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I've been reading and enjoying it but based on the demographics thing sounds like the writer needs to drop Hawkeye as he would be the problem.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    I don't think you meant to, but do know how bigotry it sound when you say, "But then I see a group picked based on demographics." That kinda language sounds innocent enough but it has been used as an excuse for so much in America right now that it can only come across as full of hate. It is quite an often used expression when it comes to racism, especially the idea that there is a conspiracy of Black people taking over traditional white roles and LatinX peoe taking all the jobs. Basically many think that there is a conspiracy to make white people a minority. I hope that's not how you meant it but it is important to point out another view point.
    The woman in charge of picking the team said the team was picked based on demographics. She said it to Hawkeye, when he started making suggestions for the team. That's the only reason I used that term.
    Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I've been reading and enjoying it but based on the demographics thing sounds like the writer needs to drop Hawkeye as he would be the problem.
    Could happen. Despite the fact that Luke told Hawkeye that Hawkeye was his first choice to lead the group, it turned out he was lying and Spectrum was his real first choice. Maybe Hawkeye will move on to his West Coast Avengers. (But probably not.)
    Sandy Hausler

Any discussion about the comic was in the appreciation thread - but it might have been buried a bit due to the movie announcement.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...2-Appreciation
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I wasn’t really hyped for this book but, after just two issues I gotta say I’m enjoying it.

It’s a nice mix of personalities, and the supporting cast could be really interesting if they get fleshed out more.

Actual fun books are rare nowadays and this book looks like it’s going to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I wasn’t really hyped for this book but, after just two issues I gotta say I’m enjoying it.

It’s a nice mix of personalities, and the supporting cast could be really interesting if they get fleshed out more.

Actual fun books are rare nowadays and this book looks like it’s going to be fun.
    Really? I don't find any of the characters to be interesting. Heck, even Hawkeye, who is one of my favorite Marvel characters, comes off bad, in my opinion. I agree with your view that fun books are rare these days. I had hoped that this book would join that group, but in the first two issues, I don't see it. Hopefully, the book will find it's footing and improve, but if it doesn't do so within a few issues, I'm gone.
    Sandy Hausler