Extraordinary Member

Default The DC storyline that turned you into a die-hard fan of a comic book

I was one who would continue to buy a comic book even if the writing was not up to par for several reasons: 1) I liked the art; 2) one of my favorite characters was in the book; or 3) I kept hoping it would get better.

What was the storyline in your favorite comic(s) that turned you from a casual reader to a die-hard fan where you couldn't wait for the next issue to come out?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I didn't get into the habit of buying monthlies right away, but this was one of my first modern issues and it convinced me I needed to read comics, and that they offered something more and different to what I'd seen in movies and cartoons thus far.

Let's see, casual reader to fanatic. Hmmm...

The Great Darkness Saga - I "liked" the Legion before this, and had started regularly picking up the title once Giffen showed up during his "Perez" era. But the GDS turned me into a lifelong fanatic.

The Anatomy Lesson - I'd picked up a couple of Swamp Things before I pulled this issue off a supermarket spinner rack. After that, I was doomed. Speaking of...

Crawling from the Wreckage - I'd picked up the Doom Patrol off and one for the first 18 issues. The first Morrison issue hit me like a freight train. With the exception of Byrne's misfire, I've obsessively sought out every Doom Patrol since.

There are others.

Definitely, My Top (3) Three would be...

• Nightwing: had an aversion to bare-legs, but I've always liked Dick Grayson. When he became Nightwing, my interest was piqued.
      As soon as Dixon/McDaniel came along, I stuck around for the long-haul & there haven't been any regrets ever since (XD)

• Superman: on-again/off-again reader for many years, but Loeb/McGuinness snapped me out of it (LOL)

• Batman: before KnightFall, only an occasional reader. But after what Bane did to Wayne, I was hooked (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-30-2022 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Let's see, casual reader to fanatic. Hmmm...

The Great Darkness Saga - I "liked" the Legion before this, and had started regularly picking up the title once Giffen showed up during his "Perez" era. But the GDS turned me into a lifelong fanatic.
    Same for me. I started reading Legion just before GDS began. But it ensured I'd be around for awhile.

No Man Escapes The Manhunters - Justice League of America 139-146, 149-150 by Steve Englehart and Dick Dillin. Englehart only stayed on the book for 10 issues but that was enough to make me stay around for quite a few years.

The Judas Contract - New Teen Titans by Marv Wolfman and George Perez. As soon as I realized Terra was working with the Terminator, I was in for the long haul.

Extraordinary Member

Reign of the Supermen was the very first comic arc I ever saw and got my hands on at an antique shop in Arkansas around 1999. I saw they had a Superboy comic, and I knew him as “cool character with cool leather jacket from those toy commercials”… and then I saw there were other comic smear it with the same header, same bonus poster, and that Steel guy who’d been in the same commercial.

Then my library had a copy of the Knightfall - Knightsend collections after I found out about them by experimenting with this internet thing when I wanted to see if DC had a similar “.com” thing to Pokémon and read these things on dudes called Bane and Azrael…

Then my library had a copy of The Return of Barry Allen…
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I was one who would continue to buy a comic book even if the writing was not up to par for several reasons: 1) I liked the art; 2) one of my favorite characters was in the book; or 3) I kept hoping it would get better.

What was the storyline in your favorite comic(s) that turned you from a casual reader to a die-hard fan where you couldn't wait for the next issue to come out?
    Batman was the Venom storyline in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT. It was tragic, scary and powerful as well as beautifully pencilled and inked.

For WW, it was PreCrisis JUDMENT IN INFINITY.

For Superman, it was World's Finest and he was fighting Xult who used his time dilating powers to try to counter Superman's superspeed. The story and the Trevor Von Eden art was so breathtaking and epic!

Spectacular Member

Superman for me, I started with issue 400 of the original Superman run an anniversary issue and haven't stopped with comics since that, continued on into Crisis and after post Crisis... have stopped reading on and off for various reasons over the years, but I've always come back for long periods.

More Recent stuff, Young Justice the original run, loved it and stuck with it through every issue. Teen Titans by Geoff Johns I stuck with for a long time, but dropped only due to financial reasons around issue 60.... Green Lantern from the 1st issue of Rebirth in 2005, I've stayed a fan of it and the various titles

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

This is the clearest DC issue I remember as a kid and it made me a die-hard WW and Storm fan from there.

Dropped out of comics for a hot minute but then I heard they were bringing back THE Kara Zor-El (I grew up with Kara In-Ze) and got back into comics again with her reintroduction.