Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    After seeing Sasha's video, I'm thinking if you could map the WW villains according to the seven deadly sins:

Greed: Circe, Cheetah,

Pride: Queen Clea

Lust: ????

Wrath: Ares

Envy: Silver Swan

Gluttony: Atomia

Sloth: ???

I get the rest, but why greed for Circe and gluttony for Atomia?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I get the rest, but why greed for Circe and gluttony for Atomia?
    It was the other way around at first.

Both 'sins' are about excess. Greed usually refers to money and material positions. Gluttony usually refers to food and wanting more of it. Gluttony has more to do with the lack of self control and wanting to indulge yourself. Greed is more about having something for the sake of having it.

Atomia is driven by the uncontrollable desire to have something in her control. If something is not, drives her crazy and she can't help but want to get it for indulgence.

Circe knows exactly what she is doing and wants more power for the sake of having more power. Although it can be argued that she is also gluttonous at times as well.

I actually ended up looking this up and I thought this definition from Reddit really summed it up well:

Greed is wanting it for the sake of having it. while gluttony is the wanting it for the pleasure of consuming it or using it.

A greedy rich man collects rare cars. A gluttonous man buys them and drives the crap out of them!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQue..._and_gluttony/

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

After seeing Sasha's video, I'm thinking if you could map the WW villains according to the seven deadly sins:

Lust: Dr. Psycho

Sloth: Silver Swan (Helen).

Veronica Cale for Envy also.

Giganta(saurus) from Jurassic League #2 preview

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Lust: Dr. Psycho

Sloth: Silver Swan (Helen).

Veronica Cale for Envy also.
    Is it the physical or spiritual/mental kind of sloth you see Helen having?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Is it the physical or spiritual/mental kind of sloth you see Helen having?
    Mental/Spirtual kind. Using the pre-Crisis "deal with the devil" with Ares/Mars where she used godly power to get an easy out of her mortal predicament of being seen as ugly.

It's not the best fit but even Wikipedia acknowledges "sloth" is the hardest of the seven to define.

Deva would also work for Wrath.

Lust could work with Grail and Cheetah. Both have been in stories where... well.. one of their goals was getting laid. Snapper Carr and Cheetah was one of the most... interesting odd-couples I've seen in comics. Oh and apparently the deity empowering Barbara is actually a fertility deity? Then there's how Grail decided that yes actually she DID need to make out with Steve Trevor.... enthusiastically.

As for Sloth... maybe Giganta? It's more in the "lazy methods" of getting what you want. She's a brilliant scientist and... THAT's her plan???

Mental/Spirtual kind. Using the pre-Crisis "deal with the devil" with Ares/Mars where she used godly power to get an easy out of her mortal predicament of being seen as ugly.

It's not the best fit but even Wikipedia acknowledges "sloth" is the hardest of the seven to define.
    Yep lot of flexibility in the term. I actually like the idea of sloth as Diana’s “deadly sin” compared to Batman’s Pride and Superman’s Wrath on account of that flexibility. Would be interesting to contrast Diana and Silver Swan in that regard.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I thought about including Dr Psycho for lust. But is he really driven by lust or does he hate women more than he lusts for them? I tend to think of lust as someone akin to Cupid for Green Arrow or Harley Quinn in Mad Love, someone so obsessed and crazy about someone to unhealthy levels. In WW's case it would be someone like Eros who thought he was Steve Trevor at one point. Dr Cyber who wanted to transfer her mind into WW's body could count as well.

I don't think the Helena incarnation of Silver Swan counts as sloth either. She was a victim of the wrong end of stringent beauty standards. That was something imposed on her by her culture.

Sloth is not just laziness, it's also apathy and lack of desire to improve oneself spiritually or physically. It would have to be a character who is apathetic and lacks care.

Sloth could be the mortal sin of the Amazons who prefer to stay on the island and had grown stagnant in terms of power, skills and belief. Or Artemis who largely stays the same and hasn't changed much as a character.

An argument could be made for Diana herself at times:

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Why are you guys so interessted in inserting these characters into categories of representation for christian beliefs?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why are you guys so interessted in inserting these characters into categories of representation for christian beliefs?
    It's just a discussion. No need to take it so seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep lot of flexibility in the term. I actually like the idea of sloth as Diana’s “deadly sin” compared to Batman’s Pride and Superman’s Wrath on account of that flexibility. Would be interesting to contrast Diana and Silver Swan in that regard.
    Pride strikes me more as a WW given it does take a bit of arrogance to go out and assume you know how to make the world a better place. Though I guess that applies to most superheroes, but works for WW imo given she comes from a different type of world and being actual royalty.

I thought about including Dr Psycho for lust. But is he really driven by lust or does he hate women more than he lusts for them? I tend to think of lust as someone akin to Cupid for Green Arrow or Harley Quinn in Mad Love, someone so obsessed and crazy about someone to unhealthy levels. In WW's case it would be someone like Eros who thought he was Steve Trevor at one point. Dr Cyber who wanted to transfer her mind into WW's body could count as well.

I don't think the Helena incarnation of Silver Swan counts as sloth either. She was a victim of the wrong end of stringent beauty standards. That was something imposed on her by her culture.

Sloth is not just laziness, it's also apathy and lack of desire to improve oneself spiritually or physically. It would have to be a character who is apathetic and lacks care.

Sloth could be the mortal sin of the Amazons who prefer to stay on the island and had grown stagnant in terms of power, skills and belief. Or Artemis who largely stays the same and hasn't changed much as a character.

An argument could be made for Diana herself at times:

Guess it depends on how you view Psycho, modern stuff where they imply a bit more with him being a rapist or MRA , like with Rucka and how he was used in EO, made me think it's a fit.

Pride strikes me more as a WW given it does take a bit of arrogance to go out and assume you know how to make the world a better place. Though I guess that applies to most superheroes, but works for WW imo given she comes from a different type of world and being actual royalty.

Guess it depends on how you view Psycho, modern stuff where they imply a bit more with him being a rapist or MRA , like with Rucka and how he was used in EO, made me think it's a fit.
    Hmm Pride does work for WW as Diana has been shown to be very... sure of her abilities and desire to leave Themiscyra.

But yeah, Psycho has some Lust vibes.

To be honest, most characters have more than one.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Someone edited the character pages for the TV Tropes for Wonder Woman Volume 1 so that each of the classic Villainy Inc members embodied one of the seven deadly sins:

Cheetah- Envy (duh)
    Giganta- Wrath
    Queen Clea- Lust
    Blue Snowman- Greed
    Dr. Poison - Pride (in her horrific work)
    Zara- Gluttony (not for food, but for material things)
    Eviless- Sloth
    Hypnota- the Eighth deadly sin Despair, since they turned to villainy after their sister accidentally shot them and they "fell into a destructive spiral of suspicion, anger and hate."