Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Honestly, ..even I have to banish myself to the pointy-headed fan hell, for not recognizing her and giving due credit to her creator, for his genius. For being one of Those Who Know Not Great Wonder-villains, When We're Sitting On Them, even though I wrote an opinion about her, too often, I completely forget that she exists and is the hands-down greatest Wonder-villain, since the Baroness. For ambition alone, enough that she actually took dictation, from Darkseid, once or twice, to realize her black, misandrist ambitions of subjugating the world to Amazon rule, at her hand, ..of course.

It's her mission, beginning life, as an Amazon assassin, ..and she's got a LAIR. Only cool villains, like Lex Luthor and Doctor Doom, get lairs.

Myrina Black, hot and fresh-outta-the-box, turn-key ready, with no further need of development, is, quite possibly, the hands-down greatest WW super-villain of all time. So radically Amazonian, in her ambitions - for Amazons, pursuit of freedom is a religion - that she would do it, with Darkseid, and risk dooming our world to bring forth his child, ..and all to stop his Anti-life Equation, a cosmic lobotomy, which spells the end of free will, throughout the known universe. Furthermore, it's plain that Darkseid's existence is an untenable sacrilege to any freedom-loving Amazon, and Myrina meets that, with ambitions, which are not merely global, ..but, cosmic! Her blind, boundless, fearless ambition and audacity (nerve) is such that nothing, not even the challenges of time and space, will stop her. This woman is the ultimate Amazon and, ironically, ..the ultimate, natural nemesis, for Wonder Woman!

Look at what she is willing to do to get the job done - ye gods! It's apocalyptic.

Her creator, Geoff Johns, responsible for revitalizing the Flash and Green Lantern, and building mytho-verses around them, which made them some of the most commercially successful superhero comics, in modern comics, has a nigh unmatched understanding of what makes a classic supervillain - namely, natural villainy - which makes him, a sort of industry genius. All of that went into the crafting of Myrina Black, a megalomaniac to outclass Cheetah, Doctor Cyber, Super Woman, Grail, Queen Clea and the rest...

Beside whom, even the best of them, they look hopelessly clownish.

In the old days, a great editor would retcon her into everything, as Johns comes close to doing. He would reveal her, as Jessica Walter's Gloria Marquez ..and even Ahnjayla...maybe, the first Cheetah. What's genius about Johns's writing Myrina is that, she has been there, badass LAIR and all, while writers have wasted our time, with Cheetahs and Circes and Boo B'Ares! In the old days of superhero comic editing, Myrina Black wouldn't have been wasted - we'd have stories...

And she would be on a lunchbox. Read why, here: https://wondabunga.blogspot.com/2021...st-wonder.html
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-29-2022 at 07:20 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I really don't think Diana's greatest enemy should be a woman that wants to conquer the world. It's just bad optics. Diana didn't come to this world to knock down other women. This doesn't mean she can't have villains like that, but they shouldn't be the top spot

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I really don't think Diana's greatest enemy should be a woman that wants to conquer the world. It's just bad optics. Diana didn't come to this world to knock down other women. This doesn't mean she can't have villains like that, but they shouldn't be the top spot
    So her archenemy should be a Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    I don't think that's necessarily what he's saying, but I do think the idea of "woman vs. man" is kind of silly. Women can be just as evil, cruel and violent as men and for me, a woman has always made the most sense as Diana's archenemy (which is further helped by the fact that there are literally no other A-list heroes with a female archenemy).

nah, that's also bad optics.

So her greatest villain should either be:

1 A genderless creature, like a Lovecraftian entity of cosmic horror (Azathoth). In the vein of Dormmamu but even less antropomorphic

2 or a demon child that represents the loss of inocence and wants to bring out the ugliness in all our hearts, like Devastation (who was wasted after her creator left).

Diana doesn't really have the first, which is a shame since she is so often put into the fantasy genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't think that's necessarily what he's saying, but I do think the idea of "woman vs. man" is kind of silly. Women can be just as evil, cruel and violent as men and for me, a woman has always made the most sense as Diana's archenemy (which is further helped by the fact that there are literally no other A-list heroes with a female archenemy).
    I guess I'll just say it again, Diana didn't come to out world to knock other women down. The greatest danger posed to mankind shouldn't be another woman. Which doesn't mean that she shouldn't be fighting Cheetah or Circe, just that they shouldn't be the thing Diana is here to protect us from.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-29-2022 at 11:36 AM.

Spectacular Member

You known,Superman and Batman archenemies are not their greatest threats

You known,Superman and Batman archenemies are not their greatest threats
    Yup. Braniac can do a whole lot more damage to the universe than Luthor. But I was continuing the line of argument Mel Dyer started about what her greatest villain should be like.

If we were just arguing about arch enemies my point still stands, except I say Devastation is the only answer. She is the only that can exploit Diana's greatest vulnerability, the fact that humanity doesn't deserve redemption.

Wonder Woman is a feminist icon, and the implications of her greatest threat being an evil woman (or an evil man) will always be too cumbersome for me.

Spectacular Member

Yup. Braniac can do a whole lot more damage to the universe than Luthor. But I was continuing the line of argument Mel Dyer started about what her greatest villain should be like.

If we were just arguing about arch enemies my point still stands, except I say Devastation is the only answer. She is the only that can exploit Diana's greatest vulnerability, the fact that humanity doesn't deserve redemption.

Wonder Woman is a feminist icon, and the implications of her greatest threat being an evil woman (or an evil man) will always be too cumbersome for me.
    In my opinion,her archenemy needs to be a byproduct of our society mistakes

1 A genderless creature, like a Lovecraftian entity of cosmic horror (Azathoth). In the vein of Dormmamu but even less antropomorphic

2 or a demon child that represents the loss of inocence and wants to bring out the ugliness in all our hearts, like Devastation (who was wasted after her creator left).

Diana doesn't really have the first, which is a shame since she is so often put into the fantasy genre.

I guess I'll just say it again, Diana didn't come to out world to knock other women down. The greatest danger posed to mankind shouldn't be another woman. Which doesn't mean that she shouldn't be fighting Cheetah or Circe, just that they shouldn't be the thing Diana is here to protect us from.
    See that cosmic horror thing sounds cool, should be like some dark souls like boss locked in Dooms Doorway (which I don't think you think should exist). But, I wouldn't want 80+ years of history to be swiped because it doesn't match with a few people's sensibilities.

Circe, Ares, and Cheetah are great villains with years of history who embody ideals that Diana fights against. Superman is not on this planet specifically to fight Lex, he just embodies the core opposite values of Clark, same with Jocker and Batman. It's the ideals that come first, not a person's sex or gender, doesn't mean they should be ignored, however. Diana is a feminist and part of that is seeing that woman can be just as cruel and vile as anyone else. Oh sorry it doesn't "look good" when Diana fights the all powerful immortal witch trying to do some nefarious sceme, is not a good argument. It also isn't bad optics.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Or a machine...Dr. Cyber could go one step further and go fully robotic/cybernetic

....Devastation is a woman, though. I'm confused by this logic.

I'm a Devastation fan, too, Alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Or a machine...Dr. Cyber could go one step further and go fully robotic/cybernetic
    Doctor Cyber should be scaring the DCU to death, right now. I can think of, at least, five best-selling comics, that Cyber would be a top-tier supervillain in. Ridiculous...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-29-2022 at 06:29 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

It's funny. As much as I admire the narrative craftmanship on Myrina Black and First Born, recently on Circe, and even on Devastation, ..I'm still holding out for Queen Clea, Doctor Cyber and somebody weird and over the top, like Atomia or Queen of Fables...

You know. The freaks.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-29-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Petition for more Mouse Man.

AmIRight-or-AmIRight
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~